(Topic ID: 72365)

SmartDmd : DMD interface with colors, upscaling, network and more !

By oga83

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 613 posts
  • 123 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Cadrion
  • Topic is favorited by 153 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
hammer-falling.gif
tombstone-crumbling.gif
tombstone-exploding.gif
graveyard---rounded-tombstones.gif
ScottPin_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
MET_logo.jpg
eotl-(jump).gif
eotl-(driving).gif
eotl-(intro).gif
eotl-intro.gif
end-of-the-line-sample.gif
end_of_the_line_(browser)_(resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider marcocapetown.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#328 8 years ago

great work like always guys.
okay simple question. wpc games. whats the challenge in making them do color? and what will it take to make it happen?
my friend tells me u can maybe calculate the frame and just replace each frame with a color one? possible?

maybe even contact the person behind wpcedit and get some input... ?

3 weeks later
#356 8 years ago

having some weird bugs here with smart dmd on shrek.
when i use the older version of smartdmd, some frames i colored are not colored for some reason yet those frames use the same palette as others that are colored.

when i use the new version of smartdmd, those frames are colored. but having some weird bugs as in i put the scoring color as green, the first target u hit , the scoring goes all weird color wise, but with the older version of smart dmd the scoring color is fine...

maybe i should take a video to show what i mean...

what am i doing wrong?

#357 8 years ago

took a video best i could..

smart dmd old
as u can see when the ball drains two of those frames are in green, but yet they are colored, the other 1 frame that is colored uses the same color palette. so i dont know why its showing as green?

smart dmd new version.
as u can see score starts out green, u hit a switch and it gets all messed up.
u drain and u can see the frames like prince charming is now colored, with the old version it was not.

no idea whats going on.

#359 8 years ago
Quoted from jsalce:

Is the option "Use current palette when a frame has no information (use default palette otherwise)" checked? If so, try unchecking that and see if that helps.

i tried it on both versions.

on old version of smartdmd its still the same.
on the new version the green text is fine now, but some frames like in the video for the old smart dmd are in green...

this is so frustrating... PinballMikeD? oga83 ? any ideas...?

#362 8 years ago

im using in-frame not side channel... rensh this is what u send me, but i did plenty of adjustments to it since some frames needed work, spend many hours on it sofar and there are still some stuff im not 100% happy with but its a work in progress.

mike if u want i can send u the macro so u can maybe try and solve the problem. maybe its just something stupid im doing wrong?

#364 8 years ago

problem i have is i cant select a palette for the ; i get an error, "the frame is too small to hold smartdmd palette information"

on the lettering i did not select a palette, its selected as none and there are just green colors i used to make it look more like shrek colors, so its shades of green.

picture of how i did it.

imagehack1.jpgimagehack1.jpg

#368 8 years ago
Quoted from PinballMikeD:

Your score digit coloring will not work. The only reason I could do this on MET is because I'm using the serial side channel method to apply a "score" palette to every "number" frame. You can't assign palettes to sprite frames (any non 128x32 sized frame) unless you're using side channel. Color all your numbers using #15 in your palette. If you want all of the text to appear green then you need to assign the color green to #15 in every palette. This is one of the limitations of "in-frame."

thanks mike yea i kinda looked at your metallica way of coloring and i figured it would work cause urs is even more complex compared to mine, but now it makes sense what u saying. cause i was starting to seriously pull my hair out...

1 month later
#405 8 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

How is the license tied to a single kit? Reason I am asking is should my SD card die and I have to use a backup, can I do that? DMD Extender is locked to a specific SD card and with David being out of commission that scenario makes me pretty uneasy.

the pi itself is tied to the license, u can use any other sd card. ive done this a couple of times myself.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 68.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Z

7,600 (OBO)
$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Lighting - Interactive
Hookedonpinball.com

Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
$ 14.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Game Room Info Shop

$ 25.50
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 55.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 16.00
Lighting - Other
Slap Save Creations

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

11,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Lubbock, TX
$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 25.95
$ 22.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider marcocapetown.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/smartdmd-dmd-interface-with-colors-upscaling-network-and-more?tu=marcocapetown and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.