(Topic ID: 72365)

SmartDmd : DMD interface with colors, upscaling, network and more !

By oga83

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 613 posts
  • 123 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 66 days ago by Cadrion
  • Topic is favorited by 153 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
hammer-falling.gif
tombstone-crumbling.gif
tombstone-exploding.gif
graveyard---rounded-tombstones.gif
ScottPin_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
MET_logo.jpg
eotl-(jump).gif
eotl-(driving).gif
eotl-(intro).gif
eotl-intro.gif
end-of-the-line-sample.gif
end_of_the_line_(browser)_(resized).jpg

There are 613 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 13.
#351 6 years ago

I got the 1/4 330ohm resistors this morning, got my adapter board back together, and still having the same issue. I changed the side-channel option to the other option available "In-Frame" and didnt change it either. Here is a new video I made with a better camera.

I also tried using the older v2014-10-06 with this config:
450d0cd3b8c8a68e5481053d5432ea5b.png

Still the same issue:

#352 6 years ago

This is weird as the v2014-10-06 image has been tested on several Williams games.

The resistors are definitely not the issue.
The wires could be an issue if they are too long (I use 12") or too thin (wrapping wires for example) or if they are too close from a transformer, relay or fluorescent tube.

Which Raspberry are you using ? Can you take a picture of your installation ?

#353 6 years ago

Well.. since this was a test setup I just used the factory dmd output cable from the pin to my adapter board. It is quite long.. 32"?! Not sure. The cable from my adapter board to my Pi is about 8".

IMAG0099.jpg

Here my adapter board:
IMAG0100.jpg

Since this is the next solution, i'll make my own short 14pin cable and see if i can redesign my adapter board to be a smaller footprint.

I am using a Raspberry Pi B+.

1 week later
#354 6 years ago

Here's a first look at the actual Spiderman SDMD apron kit prototype

Spiderman apron.png

It needs a few tweaks, but not too bad for a first attempt. The final product will be powder coated and fitted with a 5" LCD screen. Here's a better shot to show the cutting detail:

Spider cutout.png

#355 6 years ago

Hi, is there a fully made up kit for a trim and ironman?
Love to get one, have no skills at this, in fact have been told I have done the worst wiring repair in NZ. Should of had a shaster first

#356 6 years ago

having some weird bugs here with smart dmd on shrek.
when i use the older version of smartdmd, some frames i colored are not colored for some reason yet those frames use the same palette as others that are colored.

when i use the new version of smartdmd, those frames are colored. but having some weird bugs as in i put the scoring color as green, the first target u hit , the scoring goes all weird color wise, but with the older version of smart dmd the scoring color is fine...

maybe i should take a video to show what i mean...

what am i doing wrong?

#357 6 years ago

took a video best i could..

smart dmd old
as u can see when the ball drains two of those frames are in green, but yet they are colored, the other 1 frame that is colored uses the same color palette. so i dont know why its showing as green?

smart dmd new version.
as u can see score starts out green, u hit a switch and it gets all messed up.
u drain and u can see the frames like prince charming is now colored, with the old version it was not.

no idea whats going on.

#358 6 years ago

Is the option "Use current palette when a frame has no information (use default palette otherwise)" checked? If so, try unchecking that and see if that helps.

#359 6 years ago
Quoted from jsalce:

Is the option "Use current palette when a frame has no information (use default palette otherwise)" checked? If so, try unchecking that and see if that helps.

i tried it on both versions.

on old version of smartdmd its still the same.
on the new version the green text is fine now, but some frames like in the video for the old smart dmd are in green...

this is so frustrating... PinballMikeD? oga83 ? any ideas...?

#360 6 years ago

Have you colorized the actual score sprite frames? Are you using side channel or in-frame?

#361 6 years ago

Serial Side Chanel doesn't work with shriek unfortunately so better to go for inframe coloring

It can be done coloring shrek. For those interested sent me a Pm with Mailadress so I can sent the macro

#362 6 years ago

im using in-frame not side channel... rensh this is what u send me, but i did plenty of adjustments to it since some frames needed work, spend many hours on it sofar and there are still some stuff im not 100% happy with but its a work in progress.

mike if u want i can send u the macro so u can maybe try and solve the problem. maybe its just something stupid im doing wrong?

#363 6 years ago
Quoted from marcocapetown:

but having some weird bugs as in i put the scoring color as green, the first target u hit , the scoring goes all weird color wise, but with the older version of smart dmd the scoring color is fine...
what am i doing wrong?

The scores always use color #15 in the current palette.
The current palette is selected by the background.
If this palette has white for color #15, the scores will be displayed in white. If an animation selects another palette with green for color #15, the scores will then be displayed in green.

If you want to have the scores displayed in the same color all along the game, you have to use the same color #15 in all palettes.

#364 6 years ago

problem i have is i cant select a palette for the ; i get an error, "the frame is too small to hold smartdmd palette information"

on the lettering i did not select a palette, its selected as none and there are just green colors i used to make it look more like shrek colors, so its shades of green.

picture of how i did it.

imagehack1.jpg

#365 6 years ago

How much custom colouring can be done with smartdmd on a data East star wars? I saw various things mentioned (in another forum) about hex editing to change colours but I couldn't find specifics around it or its limitations.

#366 6 years ago
Quoted from koops:

How much custom colouring can be done with smartdmd on a data East Star Wars? I saw various things mentioned (in another forum) about hex editing to change colours but I couldn't find specifics around it or its limitations.

AFAIK, Custom coloring is not possible on DE (Pinball Browser is not able to modify DE firmwares and I'm not aware of other methods).
That's why SmartDmd can only use a single game-wide palette on DE games.

#367 6 years ago
Quoted from marcocapetown:

problem i have is i cant select a palette for the ; i get an error, "the frame is too small to hold smartdmd palette information"
on the lettering i did not select a palette, its selected as none and there are just green colors i used to make it look more like shrek colors, so its shades of green.
picture of how i did it.

imagehack1.jpg

Your score digit coloring will not work. The only reason I could do this on MET is because I'm using the serial side channel method to apply a "score" palette to every "number" frame. You can't assign palettes to sprite frames (any non 128x32 sized frame) unless you're using side channel. Color all your numbers using #15 in your palette. If you want all of the text to appear green then you need to assign the color green to #15 in every palette. This is one of the limitations of "in-frame."

#368 6 years ago
Quoted from PinballMikeD:

Your score digit coloring will not work. The only reason I could do this on MET is because I'm using the serial side channel method to apply a "score" palette to every "number" frame. You can't assign palettes to sprite frames (any non 128x32 sized frame) unless you're using side channel. Color all your numbers using #15 in your palette. If you want all of the text to appear green then you need to assign the color green to #15 in every palette. This is one of the limitations of "in-frame."

thanks mike yea i kinda looked at your metallica way of coloring and i figured it would work cause urs is even more complex compared to mine, but now it makes sense what u saying. cause i was starting to seriously pull my hair out...

#369 6 years ago

Quick MET update:

Everything is done with the exception of "The End of the Line" animations. Here are some teaser pics of the newest animations:

Snake.png
Snake MB.png
Fade to Black.png
Special.png

#371 6 years ago

Gets better and better

#372 6 years ago

Impressive

#373 6 years ago

Getting ready to flash the game and test everything. I also addressed the 2 or 3 bugs I saw in your video.

#374 6 years ago

My game is ready for flashing

#375 6 years ago
Quoted from sirlonzelot:

My game is ready for flashing

Email me and this afternoon and I'll get you the latest macro

#376 6 years ago

Mustang now runs also in SSC. MANY THANKS TO OLIVER.

Here are some impressions, still in Progress

#377 6 years ago

I need to buy a Mustang .......

Great work

#378 6 years ago

No hurry, still a lot to do, till its finish

2 weeks later
#379 6 years ago

Mustang Gameplay Video

#380 6 years ago

That looks great, well done.

#381 6 years ago
Quoted from sirlonzelot:

Mustang Gameplay Video
» YouTube video

VERY nice. Is it done now?

#382 6 years ago

So good as Finish, i have one Problem left...

#383 6 years ago

On the very first page it says

Quoted from oga83:a Raspberry Pi (model A, B, or B+; not v2 !) with a SD card

What are the reasons for it not working on a v2? I'm finding my local suppliers don't seem to stock anything but the v2's anymore.

#384 6 years ago
Quoted from koops:

On the very first page it says

What are the reasons for it not working on a v2? I'm finding my local suppliers don't seem to stock anything but the v2's anymore.

I couldnt get it working on a V2, ordered B+ but got by mistake a V2, but Oga told me than that he had people who got it working on a V2. Pls do note that i have zero experience with Linux and had no skills to overcome the issues. So took easy way out, sent back V2 and got the original B+ which i ordered in the first place

#385 6 years ago
Quoted from koops:

What are the reasons for it not working on a v2?

1- The Broadcom chipset is different and the memory map is not the same; this point has been fixed in the latest image.
2- The overclocking parameters are not the same; this point can be fixed by hand in the config files (define overclock=0 in smartdmd.txt and adjust the overcloking parameters in config.txt).
3- The v2 has 4 cores instead of just one for the v1. However, a single v2 core seems to be a little slower than the v1... just enough to prevent SmartDmd from correctly sampling the signal (SmartDmd can only use 1 core); this should only be an issue on Sam/Stern games

#386 6 years ago
Quoted from sirlonzelot:

So good as Finish, i have one Problem left...

So you finished it but are now selling your pinball. Real pitty but perhaps the replacement pin is also smartdmd worthy

#387 6 years ago
Quoted from oga83:

However, a single v2 core seems to be a little slower than the v1... just enough to prevent SmartDmd from correctly sampling the signal (SmartDmd can only use 1 core); this should only be an issue on Sam/Stern games

Excellent! Thanks for the detailed info.

2 weeks later
#388 6 years ago

Smartdmd is outputting a "temperature is too high" message.

I'm assuming this refers to the r pi board?

#389 6 years ago

Hello,

I posted this at the Pinball Browser Thread already, but I think this might be the better place...

I'm wondering if someone ever try to colorize a TRON with pinball browser (beside the video snippets)

if yes, appreciate your hints as I'm able to colorize on a "global" color palette level only...
may be I'm missing something or it's not possible, because of the video snippets in between.

TIA

best regards

Pit

#390 6 years ago
Quoted from koops:

Yes, it comes from the Raspberry.
First of all, do not place the Raspberry board inside an enclosure so it can cool down.
You can increase the temp limit by adjusting the following parameter in smartdmd.txt :
temperature_max=50000
50000 means 50°C. You can increase this value but I would not go above 70000.
If necessary, a heatsink can also be used on the processor.

#391 6 years ago
Quoted from Gandalf37j:

Hello,
I posted this at the Pinball Browser Thread already, but I think this might be the better place...
I'm wondering if someone ever try to colorize a TRON with pinball browser (beside the video snippets)
if yes, appreciate your hints as I'm able to colorize on a "global" color palette level only...
may be I'm missing something or it's not possible, because of the video snippets in between.
TIA
best regards
Pit

If my memory is correct, Tron is one of the split screen games like TF and IM. That means the DMD images aren't 128x32 in size. Unless you are using the serial side channel feature (as outline earlier in this thread) you can't assign palettes to "non-fullsized" frames. That is why you can assign a default palette to the game, but you're unable to assign palettes to individual frames that aren't 128x32.

Clear as mud?

#392 6 years ago

Hi Mike,

thanks for the reply.
I think Avatar is such a splitscreen game as well.

I'm able to use the side channel feature, because if created and linked the cable as described...
just need to enable the debugging to see if it's realy working (Olivier send me the mandatory setting)

as far as I understood, with the sidechannel mode enabled, it might be possible...I've overseen this feature/function
my apologize, seems I have to dig a little bit deeper

#393 6 years ago

No need to apologize. I hope you get it working

#394 6 years ago

just saw that I'm at the GIPO Side-channel..thinking about moving to the serial side-channel first..
hover, fist finish my vacation (traveling at the moment in DK)

but looking forward how it will work

#395 6 years ago
Quoted from koops:

Had this error also on a MeT and potc. On 5 other pins no message including another met. Strange. Did mount cooling ribs but no change

However, increased the temp limit to 65 and never saw the error again and everything runs fine. When I googled I saw people mentioning temps around 57 degrees as standard so assume the default limit of 50 degrees is perhaps to strict

#396 6 years ago
Quoted from Gandalf37j:

I think Avatar is such a splitscreen game as well.

Yes it is and it can be a real pain in the ass to see what's going on on it because everything is so small. What was Stern thinking when they did this.

#397 6 years ago

Question, does SmartDMD support the basic color palette feature of DMD Extender? As in the ability to assign all 4 brightness levels (from black to bright orange) to a color without manually colorizing any frames?

#398 6 years ago

ok, way tl/dr the entire thing. I love the look of this but can they be ordered pre built/configured or is it all DIY? Would love to throw one in my MET, KISS and DE Star wars...Thanks!

#399 6 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

Question, does SmartDMD support the basic color palette feature of DMD Extender? As in the ability to assign all 4 brightness levels (from black to bright orange) to a color without manually colorizing any frames?

Yes, just use the default palette and assign the colors you want.

#400 6 years ago

I´ve started a open source project with a STM32F4 microcontroller dev board to use two 64x32 china RGB LED DMD panels as a replacement for pinball DMDs. I call it PIN2DMD. Costs around 100$ altogether. I´ve just implemented the color mapping code and would like to test it with a colorized ROM from a Stern or WPC machine. Could someone provide me link where I can find these ROMs ? I currently use PinMAME with PINDMD compatible USB interface to test but plan to implement a real pinball DMD interface. More Infos can be found in the vpuniverse forum, since I can´t post any links here (newbie).

Thanks for your help

Lucky1

There are 613 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 13.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside