(Topic ID: 72365)

SmartDmd : DMD interface with colors, upscaling, network and more !

By oga83

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 613 posts
  • 123 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 68 days ago by Cadrion
  • Topic is favorited by 153 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
hammer-falling.gif
tombstone-crumbling.gif
tombstone-exploding.gif
graveyard---rounded-tombstones.gif
ScottPin_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
MET_logo.jpg
eotl-(jump).gif
eotl-(driving).gif
eotl-(intro).gif
eotl-intro.gif
end-of-the-line-sample.gif
end_of_the_line_(browser)_(resized).jpg

There are 613 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 13.
#151 7 years ago

Yes i did the pre configured distrib, i couldnt get wifi to work, i eventually worked out how to get wifi to work and did an update step 11 probably where i went wrong, when you say smbpasswd -a root and use the same password (than) for root is that the same password, i am stumped at (than) is that supposed to be the same as root.
which is what i used.
I am sorry i have no experience with the pi and it boots directly into smart dmd not sure how to exit back to log in.

#152 7 years ago

will reinstall, i beleive there is a problem with card, i am unable to write or edit at all like it is locked.

#153 7 years ago
Quoted from Pinhunter:

when you say smbpasswd -a root and use the same password (than) for root is that the same password, i am stumped at (than) is that supposed to be the same as root.

The pre-configured distribution uses 'raspberry' for the root password (step #9).
You should use the same one for "smbpasswd -a root" (step #11)
Anyway, this should not be an issue as the [smartdmd] share is public and not read only.

What I suggest :
- Check that your sd card is not write protected
- Remove or rename "smartdmd" on your sd card (so that it does not automatically starts). Log in and try to write in /boot/smartdmd.
FYI, you can also connect to the raspberry through ssh (use putty for example) - to stop smartdmd, enter "pkill -SIGINT smartdmd".

#154 7 years ago

Ok i have started from scratch, install pre-configured distribution onto flash drive.
All works fine, I can see smartdmd under network in w7.
I can map network drive.
I cannot copy files over to this drive. (destination folder access denied) you need permission to perform this action)
I try and change security but it does not allow, i have played with network settings no luck, I can see the workgroup is called workgroup but windows 7 wants to give me a homegroup password.
I think the problem is with w7 i will keep trying a few things.
I did check the [smartdmd] settings correct.
Thanks for your help

#155 7 years ago

Ok Seems to be working finally, reset password in smb and seem to be working.

#156 7 years ago
Quoted from Pinhunter:

Ok Seems to be working finally, reset password in smb and seem to be working.

Great !

1 week later
#157 7 years ago

3 weeks later
#158 7 years ago

i am not really sure how it works

when i want to create a SAM color

i need the Pinballbrowser + license
with license i can edit avery frame not only in the red blue or white shades?!?

but what will then be saved?
to the rom or to the raspary(smartdmd) ?!?! or both

with the trial its a little bit unclear.

FW update:
what will be happen when i color now parts in a FW and stern will update?
can i export parts from this and import in the news version
or must a begin from zero?

thx

#159 7 years ago
Quoted from kapsreiter:

i am not really sure how it works
when i want to create a SAM color
i need the Pinballbrowser + license
with license i can edit avery frame not only in the red blue or white shades?!?
but what will then be saved?
to the rom or to the raspary(smartdmd) ?!?! or both
with the trial its a little bit unclear.

Pinball Browser and SmartDmd are 2 different things :
- Pinball Browser allows (among other things) dmd frame modifications on a frame by frame basis. You can use the free license to colorize a game. Making a donation will activate some additional functions that ease the colorization process (and other things), but this is not compulsory.
- SmartDmd displays your dmd on a lcd screen (it also has network features). A license is needed (the test version will close after some time).

Of course, both Pinball Browser and SmartDmd can work together. In this case, you'll be able to colorize your game with different palettes.

Macros can help when a new firmware is released but some work is still necessary.

#160 7 years ago

must i edit the rom.file when i only want to colorize?

Or will the change info be saved at the SD card?

please pm me if you have the hardware in stock ( cable + pcb + license)

thanks

tom

#161 7 years ago
Quoted from kapsreiter:

must i edit the rom.file when i only want to colorize?

Yes if you want to adjust the colors on a frame-by-frame basis. This is the best way to colorize a game with Pinball Browser.

No if you just want to use a game-wide color palette (each dot level will be displayed with the same color for the whole game). Pinball Browser is not needed but will help to configure SmartDmd.

#162 7 years ago

So, let's say I have DMD animations in full color - actually I do as I did quite a bunch of anims for Jim's Demolition Time - would I be able to load/paste them into your system? 16 color palette I know

Thanks,
Mario.

#163 7 years ago

Just found this thread again, nice to see it is still active.

#164 7 years ago

Have anyone made some kind of installation kit to the lcd display? How it should put there?
There was some advices but really didn't understand those This looks very promising!

#165 7 years ago

I would LOVE pinballbrowser to support Rare games that are less likely to be coded by the colorDMD guys - Such as Jolly park - is there any chance this might ever happen in the future oga83?? Hell, I'd spend days there colourising the lot!!

If i can think of one of the rarer games that would benefit from a colour screen, with all the bright colours on the PF, that would definately be it.... However i suspect it'll never even get a sniff

#166 7 years ago
Quoted from mayuh:

So, let's say I have DMD animations in full color - actually I do as I did quite a bunch of anims for Jim's Demolition Time - would I be able to load/paste them into your system? 16 color palette I know
Thanks,
Mario.

Pinball Browser can only colorize Stern Sam games

#167 7 years ago
Quoted from toibs:

I would LOVE pinballbrowser to support Rare games that are less likely to be coded by the colorDMD guys - Such as Jolly Park - is there any chance this might ever happen in the future oga83?? Hell, I'd spend days there colourising the lot!!
If i can think of one of the rarer games that would benefit from a colour screen, with all the bright colours on the PF, that would definately be it.... However i suspect it'll never even get a sniff

I'm currently working on WPC games but I can't say now whether frame-by-frame colorization will work for these games

#168 7 years ago
Quoted from oga83:

I'm currently working on WPC games but I can't say now whether frame-by-frame colorization will work for these games

Lol - i cant even open the roms

#169 7 years ago
Quoted from toibs:

Lol - i cant even open the roms

Which game ?

#170 7 years ago

Shouldn't you be on vacation?!?

#171 7 years ago
Quoted from Monster_Bash:

Shouldn't you be on vacation?!?

I'm back since yesteday... but I still have to recover from the jetlag.

#172 7 years ago

Jolly park. It's a "spinball/Inder" Game so wouldnt really expect it to, however i had to try

http://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=4618

#173 7 years ago

Any chance the PB user community can share custom ROM/cfg files or will that put us in the dead center of the copyright minefield? I actually already know the answer to this one but just want to investigate what we can do together here.

#174 7 years ago

When i understand it riht

Smartdmd will save all changes in a macrofile

This can not be copyright
So that could be shared and when you execute it you have the same rom

My parts are ordered

I hope,to can test on star trek next week

#175 7 years ago

Ok, just wanted to make sure.

Maybe it's premature, but does anyone have any ideas or ambitions on how the community could share those files? I guess the "best" results and stability (over versions) will come from joint efforts rather than each and everyone doing the (same) work over and over again.

Also just bought a couple of kits and intend to start with my Star Trek.

#176 7 years ago

I would be in for star trek

#177 7 years ago

I see that SmartDmd works on Raspberry Pi B2 and not on B1+. But a lot of vendors just specify B. What are the differences between the two models ?

#178 7 years ago

The new Macro Oga built in works great. Make sure you're using Pinball Browser 4xx...I'm not sure which rev it was added to...but the enhanced macro save wasn't in earlier revs. It basically save every detailed change to a the ROM file. So let say I change pixel XYZ in the image at memory location Fx00 to green..this change is save in a Macro.

If I want to share that work I can just email the macro to whoever.

Open stock ROM in PB -> apply macro -> save ROM -> load on machine

There's no distribution of altered ROM files

I gotta assume once this really gets rolling there's gonna be a nice community database of colorized games

Quoted from kapsreiter:

When i understand it riht
Smartdmd will save all changes in a macrofile
This can not be copyright
So that could be shared and when you execute it you have the same rom
My parts are ordered
I hope,to can test on Star Trek next week

#179 7 years ago
Quoted from Elwood_BE:

I see that SmartDmd works on Raspberry Pi B2 and not on B1+. But a lot of vendors just specify B. What are the differences between the two models ?

Some signals are different on the IO connector.
Use a model B rev 2 with 512Mb (rev 1 only has 256Mb).

#180 7 years ago

Thus, with a "B" version with 512 Mb, i'm sure that it's compatible with SmartDmd or B1+ also exists with 512Mb ?

#181 7 years ago

or the visible difference is 26 pins connector instead of 40 ?

#182 7 years ago
Quoted from Elwood_BE:

Thus, with a "B" version with 512 Mb, i'm sure that it's compatible with SmartDmd or B1+ also exists with 512Mb ?

Yes, rev 1 only has 256Mb

Quoted from Elwood_BE:

or the visible difference is 26 pins connector instead of 40 ?

No, the difference is not visible

2 weeks later
#183 7 years ago

hi,

I decided yesterday to do the smartdmd step by step .
but without success yet.
here is what I, did yesterday :

1) download the wheezy raspian. Then put it on diskimager.

2) Then I download the smartdmd files. I extracted and I put it in the empty file smartdmd my SD card.

3) I remove my SD card from my PC and I put it on my PI. I plug my IP on my screen.
I can now see the writing smartdmd with serial # PI.
Then there is the count to 0 and then show the image.
But **** me, it shows no picture. It is marked *** *** NO SIGNAL.

5) Also, in pinball Browser, I put the code on Tron pinball browser.
When I click on display, I see the images of normal red display.

6) Then, I click on the tab smartdmd and I'll get the smartdmd.txt.
There I go to the configurations.
So I play with colors to find my color I want (Aqua). I save everything and I go back to pinball browser. I view the new color by clicking on display and I see the images of Tron with the color aqua.
So I put the SD card into my PC and then I click on the tab of the small disk on pinball browser to save all.
It is also that does not work because it tells me that there is not enough space on the SD card and document .BIN is too big.

Can you please enlighten me on all these points.

#184 7 years ago
Quoted from kazak_35:

hi,
here is what I, did yesterday :
1) download the wheezy raspian. Then put it on diskimager.
2) Then I download the smartdmd files. I extracted and I put it in the empty file smartdmd my SD card.
3) I remove my SD card from my PC and I put it on my PI. I plug my IP on my screen.
I can now see the writing smartdmd with serial # PI.
Then there is the count to 0 and then show the image.
But **** me, it shows no picture. It is marked *** *** NO SIGNAL.

This means that your SmartDmd installation is correct but that :
- the pinball is not properly connected to the Raspberry
- or the Dmd Type (SmartDmd configuration) does not match your pinball

Quoted from kazak_35:

6) Then, I click on the tab smartdmd and I'll get the smartdmd.txt.
There I go to the configurations.
So I play with colors to find my color I want (Aqua). I save everything and I go back to pinball browser. I view the new color by clicking on display and I see the images of Tron with the color aqua.
So I put the SD card into my PC and then I click on the tab of the small disk on pinball browser to save all.
It is also that does not work because it tells me that there is not enough space on the SD card and document .BIN is too big.

No need to copy the .BIN file onto the SD card. Only the smartdmd.txt file needs to be copied.
But I strongly advise that you use the network share on the Rapsberry (\\smartdmd\smartdmd) : this way, no need to remove the SD card from your Raspberry. The SmartDmd configurator (Pinball Browser / SmartDmd tab) will directly modify the smartdmd.txt file on the Raspberry and your modifications will be immediately taken into account (no need to reboot !).

#185 7 years ago

looks working

only the scrolling stern logo will not work

#186 7 years ago

I have no Write rights via lan

Any ideas

Also used

Pi
Radpberry. Password

#187 7 years ago
Quoted from Pinhunter:

Ok i have started from scratch, install pre-configured distribution onto flash drive.
All works fine, I can see smartdmd under network in w7.
I can map network drive.
I cannot copy files over to this drive. (destination folder access denied) you need permission to perform this action)
I try and change security but it does not allow, i have played with network settings no luck, I can see the workgroup is called workgroup but windows 7 wants to give me a homegroup password.
I think the problem is with w7 i will keep trying a few things.
I did check the [smartdmd] settings correct.
Thanks for your help

could you help me

i have also no write rights in w7

what have you done step by step?

i am not a Linux or Network pro

thx
tom

#188 7 years ago
Quoted from kapsreiter:

i have also no write rights in w7
what have you done step by step?
i am not a Linux or Network pro

See #13 here :
The key point is to connect to the network share with the root credential

#189 7 years ago

user: root
password: raspberry

i tried all others

now its working thanks

#190 7 years ago

I had an idea for a feature after watching that video. For the short section of "lost" pixels in the upper left on frames that have the palette changed, you could display a copy of the pixels just below them instead of making them all black. For most frames this would be pretty close to the original image.

#191 7 years ago
Quoted from caker137:

I had an idea for a feature after watching that video. For the short section of "lost" pixels in the upper left on frames that have the palette changed, you could display a copy of the pixels just below them instead of making them all black. For most frames this would be pretty close to the original image.

Good idea but, unfortunately, this is not possible : at the time these pixels are drawn, SmartDmd has no idea of the ones that are below.
These pixels are not always black : there is an algorithm (to be improved) that determinines what to use (pattern and color).

Also, the option "Use current palette when a frame has no information" will minimize the visual effect as the palette information is only needed in the first frame of an animation (and the following frames won't have these lost pixels).

#192 7 years ago
Quoted from kapsreiter:

looks working
» YouTube video
only the scrolling stern logo will not work

IMG_2906.JPG 20 KB

IMG_2907.JPG 22 KB

Could you give us more information about the screen and converter that you use and how do you screw it in the panel, ... ?

#193 7 years ago
Quoted from oga83:

Good idea but, unfortunately, this is not possible : at the time these pixels are drawn, SmartDmd has no idea of the ones that are below.

Really? No frame buffer? Perhaps you are looking to avoid the single frame delay. Of course you could rewrite everything to put the palette information in the lower left corner.

Quoted from oga83:

These pixels are not always black : there is an algorithm (to be improved) that determinines what to use (pattern and color).
Also, the option "Use current palette when a frame has no information" will minimize the visual effect as the palette information is only needed in the first frame of an animation (and the following frames won't have these lost pixels).

I had no idea that you had these features. Any videos of it working these two options?

#194 7 years ago
Quoted from Elwood_BE:

Could you give us more information about the screen and converter that you use and how do you screw it in the panel, ... ?

used a
LG
LP156WF1 TLB3 15.6" HD LED

with a china controller to hdmi

with some tape i installed a clear plexi att he backside

just drilled the 4 holes with some spacers

#195 7 years ago
Quoted from caker137:

Really? No frame buffer? Perhaps you are looking to avoid the single frame delay. Of course you could rewrite everything to put the palette information in the lower left corner.

The single frame delay is not an issue.
There is simply not enough time to draw a whole dmd between 2 frames (the signal is far too fast !).
A frame is drawn as the data arrive.

#196 7 years ago

If you purchase this

http://www.drpinball.co.uk/lcddmd.htm

and a license with you for smartdmd is this than more or less a plug and play solution?

#197 7 years ago

is it a good idea for the free memory to

import colorized pictures in a blank original firmware?

Image,0x1D7B,"\\psf\Home\Desktop\stbilder\Image-0x1d7b.PNG"
Image,0x1D7C,"\\psf\Home\Desktop\stbilder\Image-0x1D7C.png"

???

thx
tom

#198 7 years ago
Quoted from kapsreiter:

is it a good idea for the free memory to
import colorized pictures in a blank original firmware?

Yes, as long as you only import images that have been modified.

#199 7 years ago

.. but i cannot delete the source Folder (if i know it no Problem)

it would be greate if you could create a function:

Import from here the next 10 Pictures

Select frome here the next 10 Pictures to Palette xx

would save hours !!!

would this be possible

or othe ways to be faster to do this 2 things

thx
tom

#200 7 years ago
Quoted from kapsreiter:

.. but i cannot delete the source Folder (if i know it no Problem)
it would be greate if you could create a function:
Import from here the next 10 Pictures
Select frome here the next 10 Pictures to Palette xx
would save hours !!!
would this be possible
or othe ways to be faster to do this 2 things
thx
tom

You can do this with a macro that you can copy/paste several times. You just have to change the image id :

To import an image :

Image,0x5A5,"NewImage-0x5a5.png"
Image,0x5A6,"NewImage-0x5a6.png"

And to change the palette information :

EditImage,0x5A5
{
Palette,1
}
EditImage,0x5A6
{
Palette,1
}

There are 613 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 13.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside