(Topic ID: 72365)

SmartDmd : DMD interface with colors, upscaling, network and more !

By oga83

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 613 posts
  • 123 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Cadrion
  • Topic is favorited by 153 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
hammer-falling.gif
tombstone-crumbling.gif
tombstone-exploding.gif
graveyard---rounded-tombstones.gif
ScottPin_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
MET_logo.jpg
eotl-(jump).gif
eotl-(driving).gif
eotl-(intro).gif
eotl-intro.gif
end-of-the-line-sample.gif
end_of_the_line_(browser)_(resized).jpg
There are 613 posts in this topic. You are on page 13 of 13.
#601 4 years ago
Quoted from Nairolf:

Hi, I'm looking for the PIN2DMD 1.8 color rom for Metallica Pro real pinball.
I know this rom exist because I see this:
Is someone have any idea where I can found it or who I need to contact (not sure I can contact J_M_)
Thanks for any help.

pm sent

#602 4 years ago
Quoted from Nairolf:

Hi, I'm looking for the PIN2DMD 1.8 color rom for Metallica Pro real pinball.
I know this rom exist because I see this:
Is someone have any idea where I can found irt or who I need to contact (not sure I can contact J_M_)
Thanks for any help.

Colours look 100x better in real life... whoever shot that video should have done a better job of it!

3 months later
#603 4 years ago

j_m_ I'd love a copy of it as well

1 year later
#604 3 years ago

Are PIN2DMD color files similar to Smart DMD color files, I have a few smart DMD kits and want to use at least 1 for Indy 500.

Thanks.

#605 3 years ago

SmartDMD colorizations can be used with pin2dmd but you can´t use a pin2dmd colorization with smartDMD

#606 3 years ago
Quoted from lucky1:

SmartDMD colorizations can be used with pin2dmd but you can´t use a pin2dmd colorization with smartDMD

Thanks.

8 months later
#607 2 years ago

Reading through this thread, I'm trying to understand the limitations/capabilities of SmartDMD, and it's reliability.

Specifically, there does not seem to be a solution for WPC, but there's one for Whitestar/SAM ? Or did I misunderstand ?

I'm rather puzzled however at how you can use a RPI to capture 3Mhz data using GPIOs, that kind of baffles me (I know RPI can do GPIO up to 20Mhz, but that's for output, not input).

Also one technical question on the smartdmd application itself: can it be run to output the DMD frame as a gstreamer source (so we could use a gstreamer graph for additionnal processing) ?

Regards

#608 2 years ago
Quoted from Ashram56:

Specifically, there does not seem to be a solution for WPC, but there's one for Whitestar/SAM ? Or did I misunderstand ?

Actually, it works with WPC games :
pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

Quoted from Ashram56:

I'm rather puzzled however at how you can use a RPI to capture 3Mhz data using GPIOs, that kind of baffles me (I know RPI can do GPIO up to 20Mhz, but that's for output, not input).

SmartDmd implements some tricks to sample the signal at 10.5MHz (Sam DMDs are at nearly 5MHz, so a 10MHz sampling frequency is needed). These tricks are hardware dependant and that's the reason why it only works with a limited set of Rpi versions that use a Broadcom chipset.

Quoted from Ashram56:

Also one technical question on the smartdmd application itself: can it be run to output the DMD frame as a gstreamer source (so we could use a gstreamer graph for additionnal processing) ?
Regards

No, unless you process the frames on a separate computer with a video grabber.

#609 2 years ago
Quoted from oga83:

Actually, it works with WPC games :
[quoted image]

SmartDmd implements some tricks to sample the signal at 10.5MHz (Sam DMDs are at nearly 5MHz, so a 10MHz sampling frequency is needed). These tricks are hardware dependant and that's the reason why it only works with a limited set of Rpi versions that use a Broadcom chipset.

No, unless you process the frames on a separate computer with a video grabber.

Thanks for these details

I assume you're using SMI (that's the only only I can think off, since the SPI signals are marked as optional), but anyway

Besides gstreamer, is there an alternative for getting the DMD frame ? Using a PC with a video grabber is way overkill for that usage... What about network broadcasting (it would be in that case a local 127.0.0.1 transfer) ? Does it transfer the entire frame or does it require specific handshake with a client SW ?

Regards

#610 2 years ago

I'm not using SMI.
I'm driving the chipset as if it was a bare metal system.
To acheive this, the Linux scheduler is disabled most of the time.
As a result, the frame broadcasting will not be as fast as it could on a normal system.
Also, this implies that you won't get much cpu time to process the frames on the same system.
You'd have to receive and process them on a different computer.

#611 2 years ago

Running smartdmd for years now and it’s quite reliable. Had two of which one worked years without any flaw and one where now and than the SD card crashed (had to rebuilt the image each time) but that was already some time ago. Had to put like a year ago a cooling fan otherwise it would quit working after like 30-60 minutes.

But, if you have a broken PI good luck finding a replacement PI as it needs this specific chipset.

#612 2 years ago

I have put SmartDMD through the races and it is kind of a miracle of efficiency.

1 month later
#613 2 years ago

Hey all... I have a Star Trek that I am thinking about doing this mod to. I was curious about which raspberry pi to use... I know it says b+ but is that rpi 3? Also, is this the way to go for a colorization for my machine? is there other products that I should check out? I don't have any issue building this up... Thanks for the help.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

12,999 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Richfield, MI
10,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Downers Grove, IL
$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

10,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Rapid City, SD
$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 185.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 25.50
$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Z

11,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Lubbock, TX
$ 24.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinballGeek

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

$ 29.95
$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Duke Pinball

$ 55.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 613 posts in this topic. You are on page 13 of 13.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/smartdmd-dmd-interface-with-colors-upscaling-network-and-more/page/13?hl=lucky1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.