(Topic ID: 72365)

SmartDmd : DMD interface with colors, upscaling, network and more !

By oga83

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 613 posts
  • 123 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Cadrion
  • Topic is favorited by 153 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
hammer-falling.gif
tombstone-crumbling.gif
tombstone-exploding.gif
graveyard---rounded-tombstones.gif
ScottPin_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
MET_logo.jpg
eotl-(jump).gif
eotl-(driving).gif
eotl-(intro).gif
eotl-intro.gif
end-of-the-line-sample.gif
end_of_the_line_(browser)_(resized).jpg

There are 613 posts in this topic. You are on page 12 of 13.
#551 7 years ago

IFAIK he already colorized all scenes but is currently trying to get around the memory problem

#552 7 years ago

what do you mean

with

memory problem with pin2dmd

is he working on a smartdmd TFT with the side chanel cable?

or pin2dmd with the recorded frames ?!?

#553 7 years ago

Both !
He is using pin2dmd with pinball browser modified ROM image. Problem is that not all modifications fit into the ROM
and now he tries to replace some of them with pin2dmd keyframe. Did that already with Avengers.

#554 7 years ago

i had this problem with smartdmd and patching the ST LE rom also

so i think may be the pin2dmd way would be easier

if i understand it right
- no change at the roms or extra cables from cpu to the display

are there any other limitations?
- memory at the pin2dmd?
- maximum of pallets?

#555 7 years ago

It is always better to address the task at the root, which is the ROM especially when
it comes to dynamic content like overplayed score display etc.
We currently only use pin2dmd features to get around the limits of pinball browser.
We currently use pinball browser inframe tagging for palette switching.

There are always limits but none we get near to.

#556 7 years ago

at the left bottom corner ?!?

sorry looks like a broken display

#557 7 years ago

while finishing up 'the end of the line', it got me thinking, why hasn't stern taken the approach and customized their logo (the one that scrolls during attract mode on their machines) and alter it to fit the theme of the machine like movie companies have done with the WB logo at the start of films

this is what I think that metallic's should have looked like:
MET_logo.jpgMET_logo.jpg

for those of you running smartdmd, pm me if you're interested in the macro for this

#558 7 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

Love it

#559 7 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

customized their logo

that's cool!

#560 7 years ago
Quoted from kapsreiter:

at the left bottom corner ?!?
sorry looks like a broken display

- no in the top left corner but imho it is hardly noticeable.
Have a look at the videos here:

#561 7 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

while finishing up 'the end of the line', it got me thinking, why hasn't stern taken the approach and customized their logo (the one that scrolls during attract mode on their machines) and alter it to fit the theme of the machine like movie companies have done with the WB logo at the start of films

for those of you running smartdmd, pm me if you're interested in the macro for this

So when are you going to rework ACDC

#562 7 years ago
Quoted from PinballMikeD:

So when are you going to rework ACDC

you mean do it correctly? heck, send me the files and I'll take a look at fixing the mess that you made

#563 7 years ago

Oh that hurts JM. After all we've been through.......

#564 7 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

Cool

#565 7 years ago

Having an issue with my SmartDMD in Jurassic Park. The image was perfect a few days ago, now the 100% bright pixels exhibit horizontal streaking, triggering the other shades on either side. I disconnected a few non-critical things in the game and turned off other games on the same circuit with no change. I also see horizontal lines flickering up and down the display and the animations occasionally lock up. I checked all ribbon cables and power connections. Reseated the SD card, HDMI connectors (not that this is the issue) and GPIO board.
However, a nasty lightning storm came through our area last week. I'm wondering if that damaged the DMD driver board? I don't have another plasma or SmartDMD kit to test.
image_(resized).jpgimage_(resized).jpg

Added over 7 years ago: Edit: Found out the problem is the Raspberry Pi itself.

#566 7 years ago

FYI: I just ran JM's macros through the newly released 1.7 code. Seems to flow in with no problems.

Also, for anyone running the band member logo macro, do it before you run the general color macros. Then when you do run the general color macro, delete all for the frame reference 0x5BF. I had some problems with the colors getting screwy before I did it this way.

#567 7 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

You inspired me with my SMVE color version!
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/spider-man-ve-smve-smartdmd-colorization

ScottPin_(resized).jpegScottPin_(resized).jpeg

#568 7 years ago

Very strange thing just happened with metallica code 1.7. It was running gangbusters, side channel serial, then just stopped.
Now its just B&W. Anyone else having problems?

not

#569 7 years ago

Nice. Now that's cool. Well played sir.

3 weeks later
#570 7 years ago

I finally have found some time to work on the "rounded" tombstones animation sequences that people outside of north america see on their metallica machines. here is the shot animation (each time you hit a tombstone drop down). I'm going to try and knock out the other 4 segments within the next week or so (time permitting)

graveyard - shot animationgraveyard - shot animation

I tried to use colors similar to what mike d. did with the cross tombstone animations but added a bit more "depth" (e.g. more gray levels) and also corrected a small error that the original dot artist made.

a free beer @ expo this year to the first person that identifies what it was that I corrected

2 weeks later
#571 7 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

I finally have found some time to work on the "rounded" tombstones animation sequences that people outside of north america see on their metallica machines.

Huh, i never knew there was a difference between N.American and the Worldwide versions in terms of the animations.

#572 7 years ago
Quoted from Pinballgeek:

Huh, i never knew there was a difference between N.American and the Worldwide versions in terms of the animations.

It's not everywhere outside of N. America. It's only places where Stern has decided to pander to strong enough religious forces that don't appreciate the cross symbol. For the record, I only consider it a Metallica symbol.

#573 7 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

It's not everywhere outside of N. America. It's only places where Stern has decided to pander to strong enough religious forces that don't appreciate the cross symbol. For the record, I only consider it a Metallica symbol.

Strange, it's still on the playfield but they made animations without it.

Speaking of crosses, hows the rising cross mod coming along?

#574 7 years ago

here are a few more of the rounded tombstone animations and the hammer falling for those with an LE or a premium

tombstone-exploding.giftombstone-exploding.gif

tombstone-crumbling.giftombstone-crumbling.gif

hammer-falling.gifhammer-falling.gif

#575 7 years ago

As always, great job !

#576 7 years ago

anyone who can share the avangers macro ??

2 weeks later
#577 7 years ago

just a note, please please please make sure you are changing the root password of these pi's and if they are on an internet connected network ensure you keep security patches up to date.

Neil.

#578 7 years ago
Quoted from Rensh:

Does anyone have experience with smartdmd in data east large display pinball like baywatch or Frankenstein or maverick ?

I'm sorry to revive this question from a year ago but is it possible to use Smart DMD to get my Baywatch to more than 4 colors?

#579 7 years ago
Quoted from Eurotimmy:

I'm sorry to revive this question from a year ago but is it possible to use Smart DMD to get my Baywatch to more than 4 colors?

I don't think is possible to have more as 4 colors as Data east only has 4 grades of shade if I recall correctly.

#580 7 years ago

if data east was like bally/williams, it's actually only 3 levels of brightness and black

#581 7 years ago

Does this work with ST:TNG?

- Brian

#582 7 years ago
Quoted from Bdkorn:

Does this work with ST:TNG?
- Brian

that would be a negative ghost rider. ST:TNG is a bally/williams WPC title which is not supported

#583 7 years ago

Too bad the pattern is full... Thanks for the info.

Quoted from j_m_:

that would be a negative ghost rider. ST:TNG is a bally/williams WPC title which is not supported

1 year later
#584 5 years ago

oga83 Any thoughts on the Total Lightshow Sound Caller daughterboard playing nicely with the serial side channel cable of a SmartDMD?

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ramp-lighting-in-your-face-st-pro-brought-to-lifevideo/page/39#post-4462420

#585 5 years ago
Quoted from roar:

oga83 Any thoughts on the Total Lightshow Sound Caller daughterboard playing nicely with the serial side channel cable of a SmartDMD?
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ramp-lighting-in-your-face-st-pro-brought-to-lifevideo/page/39#post-4462420

The SmartDmd side-channel is not really meant for this because it has a very limited set of features.
Instead, the Pinball Browser communication patch api allows a 2-way communication to retrieve several game informations.
It is already used in mods like PinballMikeD's LCD mod or Flynnsbit's LCD mod.

#586 5 years ago
Quoted from oga83:

The SmartDmd side-channel is not really meant for this because it has a very limited set of features.
Instead, the Pinball Browser communication patch api allows a 2-way communication to retrieve several game informations.
It is already used in mods like PinballMikeD's LCD mod or Flynnsbit's LCD mod.

I don't think I expressed my question properly. I am curious to know if you think I could run the SmartDMD AND the Total Lightshow together at the same time on the same serial port.

#587 5 years ago
Quoted from roar:

I don't think I expressed my question properly. I am curious to know if you think I could run the SmartDMD AND the Total Lightshow together at the same time on the same serial port.

Yes. The two RS232 cables (mod and SmartDmd) can be connected in parallel but, to prevent software and hardware collisions, your SmartDmd should have 2 wires only (SmartDmd-RS232-RX and GND; do not connect SmartDmd-RS232-TX).

#588 5 years ago
Quoted from oga83:

Yes. The two RS232 cables (mod and SmartDmd) can be connected in parallel but, to prevent software and hardware collisions, your SmartDmd should have 2 wires only (SmartDmd-RS232-RX and GND; do not connect SmartDmd-RS232-TX).

Sweet! One step closer to investing in the Total Lightshow! Just need the Rising Cross mech to come back in stock.

1 week later
#589 5 years ago

Hello. Have 4 smartdmd with default settings (WPC)
Search for my Next Genaration, judge dredd, Terminator2 and Shadow colored files. Is there someone who has dyed these already and would share them? Unfortunately with the lack of expertise to color this yourself.
Search also a version that runs on the current Pi's. Unfortunately, so far only on the Pi 1b get to work.
Would be happy about help.

#590 5 years ago

SmartDMD colorization with pinballbrowser is only supported for Stern SAM. WPC only supports setting 4 colors for the whole game.

3 months later
#591 5 years ago

Hi all -

I wanted to try this out on a Twilight Zone; I understand there are only 4 colors available, but that is ok - I am doing it in B&W. I'm mostly interested in the upscaling options. I am going to try it out today, but I assume this will still work, yes?

#592 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Hi all -
I wanted to try this out on a Twilight Zone; I understand there are only 4 colors available, but that is ok - I am doing it in B&W. I'm mostly interested in the upscaling options. I am going to try it out today, but I assume this will still work, yes?

Yes it will work, why not?, just select a color pallet with black white and two shades of grey.

#593 5 years ago
Quoted from Rensh:

Yes it will work, why not?, just select a color pallet with black white and two shades of grey.

I don't know why not, that's why I asked I read the thread from the beginning so it was a bit confusing where things now stand.

I have everything ready to go, inserted the MicroSD card into my Raspberry Pi (original B+ ), but it looks like it is hung on the multi-color boot screen (which I thought I disabled). How can I troubleshoot here?

2 weeks later
#594 5 years ago

I reached out to Oga and he has been really helpful getting this to work! I ended up going back to a previous build, and now the SmartDMD works. I think this is a great mod for Stern games, but unfortunately I do not have any It's definitely good for WPC, but I am going to think hard about whether it will stay. For me, the DR Pinball option boots faster. I wish there were the same options for WPC as for the Stern games, that is amazing! But I realize this is not the fault of SmartDMD or its amazing creator!

1 week later
#595 5 years ago

Anyone got the Smartdmd working on Metallica rel 180 using sidechannel? I only get BLackWhite unfortunately.

If somebody else has it working I know it’s something in my setup. Now I just reinstalled 170 again where it works. Have the feeling something changed in the rs232 interface in 180 vs 170.

#596 5 years ago
Quoted from Rensh:

Anyone got the Smartdmd working on Metallica rel 180 using sidechannel? I only get BLackWhite unfortunately.
If somebody else has it working I know it’s something in my setup. Now I just reinstalled 170 again where it works. Have the feeling something changed in the rs232 interface in 180 vs 170.

TimeBandit indicated in his Total Lightshow thread that he is seeing something changed in the rs232, so ya, you're probably on to something. I pulled my DIY SmartDMD out of my MET and went back to the red DMD so I can't test it. I know j_m_ is working on updating things to handle the updates to end of the line.

#597 5 years ago

Thanks

J_m already finished his work and I got his revised Macro, thanks again, but it isn’t working unfortunately. I know about the Spinner soundcaller issue so am afraid it will take work from Oga to get it working again.

Gonna check with a PC this week if I can communicate with the pinball. Hopefully have at work a usb to rs232 Converter

#598 5 years ago

Got a Beta release Pinball browser from OGA today and am plsd to inform that this did the trick. Have now MET 180 running on a PRO with J_M made Macro with sidechannel

#599 5 years ago

Pinball Browser v6.51 can be downloaded here.

4 months later
#600 4 years ago

Hi, I'm looking for the PIN2DMD 1.8 color rom for Metallica Pro real pinball.
I know this rom exist because I see this:

Is someone have any idea where I can found irt or who I need to contact (not sure I can contact J_M_)
Thanks for any help.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 60.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
NinjaCamp Mods
Toys/Add-ons
There are 613 posts in this topic. You are on page 12 of 13.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/smartdmd-dmd-interface-with-colors-upscaling-network-and-more/page/12 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.