(Topic ID: 72365)

SmartDmd : DMD interface with colors, upscaling, network and more !

By oga83

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 613 posts
  • 123 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Cadrion
  • Topic is favorited by 153 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
hammer-falling.gif
tombstone-crumbling.gif
tombstone-exploding.gif
graveyard---rounded-tombstones.gif
ScottPin_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
MET_logo.jpg
eotl-(jump).gif
eotl-(driving).gif
eotl-(intro).gif
eotl-intro.gif
end-of-the-line-sample.gif
end_of_the_line_(browser)_(resized).jpg

There are 613 posts in this topic. You are on page 11 of 13.
#501 7 years ago
Quoted from kapsreiter:

yes its pbbrowser
i hope it will work soon
i have a unit here and want to get it in GB as soon as possible

Are you going to colorize GB? If yes, will you share the macro with the community ? This as my friend has a GB and several smartdmd (he colorized Shrek)

#502 7 years ago

i don't think i have the time to do a complete game

but if some people split the work its possible

to bad that there is only the side-chanel option and no serial output

#503 7 years ago

just an fyi:
I've been painstakingly working on updating mike's macro file for metallica for the past 6 weeks (1.63 to 1.64) and am finally getting close to having it complete. after I'm done, I plan on going back and coloring the unfinished sections (like 'the end of the line')

they shifted the frame numbers between these versions which is why it has taken me so long to shuffle everything (frame by frame) as well as putting all of the frames in order

during the process of doing this I've noticed the following things with the pinball browser macro functionality. optimize does not do what you might think it does. it merely collects all of the [multiple] instances of a particular frame and groups them together within a set of the { and } brackets

all instances of coloring, re-coloring and flood fills of the same pixel location are kept, meaning that if you have something like this:
EditImage,0x5BF
{
Pen,17,47,0,0,1,4,15
Pen,17,47,0,0,1,7,15
Pen,17,47,0,0,1,4,15
Pen,17,47,0,0,1,3,15
FloodFill,17,47,0,0,1,7,15
}

after choosing to optimize it, the result is be exactly the same as above. the optimize functionality does not remove duplicate commands that act upon the same pixel location (keeping only the last instance of coloring (pen and/or flood fill)

if you decide to color something one way, and then change your mind and re-color it a different way, all of the changes remain in the macro file (meaning that the file becomes larger and will take longer to run)

#504 7 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

they shifted the frame numbers between these versions which is why it has taken me so long to shuffle everything (frame by frame) as well as putting all of the frames in order

The ShiftId macro might help.

Quoted from j_m_:

The optimize functionality does not remove duplicate commands that act upon the same pixel location (keeping only the last instance of coloring (pen and/or flood fill)
if you decide to color something one way, and then change your mind and re-color it a different way, all of the changes remain in the macro file (meaning that the file becomes larger and will take longer to run)

The "Optimize" function is not meant for this. It gathers several blocks of modifications into a single one. The goal is to minimize memory consumption (each new block can lead to memory fragmentation).
Anyway, what you suggest would be a great improvement for this function.

#505 7 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

just an fyi:
I've been painstakingly working on updating mike's macro file for metallica for the past 6 weeks (1.63 to 1.64) and am finally getting close to having it complete. after I'm done, I plan on going back and coloring the unfinished sections (like 'the end of the line')
during the process of doing this I've noticed the following things with the pinball browser macro functionality. optimize does not do what you might think it does. it merely collects all of the [multiple] instances of a particular frame and groups them together within a set of the { and } brackets
all instances of coloring, re-coloring and flood fills of the same pixel location are kept, meaning that if you have something like this:
EditImage,0x5BF
{
Pen,17,47,0,0,1,4,15
Pen,17,47,0,0,1,7,15
Pen,17,47,0,0,1,4,15
Pen,17,47,0,0,1,3,15
FloodFill,17,47,0,0,1,7,15
}
after choosing to optimize it, the result is be exactly the same as above. the optimize functionality does not remove duplicate commands that act upon the same pixel location (keeping only the last instance of coloring (pen and/or flood fill)

?? Puzzled by this as I am using miked macro and running latest code. Been a long time ago but if memory serves me right just a shift command was sufficient to make 163 code workable for 164.

In regard to EOL coloring, no idea if he did this. Never reached it till now

#506 7 years ago

oga:
I'm not sure how difficult (or time consuming) it would be to change, but it would be a great feature if part of the optimization was to take and put the frames in order too.

I realize that it would slow down the process (potentially a very long time due to the number of frames in a macro file), but would definitely make it easier to look at the macro file.

#507 7 years ago

to switch from 163 to 164 I changed the header of the macro to

-- Pinball-Browser Macro for METALLICA v1.64
CheckVersion,"METALLICA",0x164
ShiftId,0,0xb9,0xc3
LoadHex,"comm118.hex"
-- The following 2 lines are for Side-Channel :
PaletteMode,1
PaletteComm,2
-- The following line is for In-Frame :
-- PaletteMode,0
ExtendMemory

In fact only the ShifId command was required..... Sorry you worked on this for 6 weeks

Anyway, if you ever finish a fully colored version of EOL I would love to get it from you. Thanks

#508 7 years ago

I'm still changing it for a few reasons:
1) I want the frames in order (making it easier to search and color anything left undone
2) if stern does release another version (and adds additional frames of animation, the shiftid command will not work since without the latest version of the rom, you wouldn't be able to re-apply the macro to it

1 week later
#509 7 years ago

I've completed migrating all of mike d's original macro to 1.64 and am now starting to work on animations that were not completed.
here's an idea of what I'm thinking for "the end of the line"
the_end_of_the_line_(resized).jpgthe_end_of_the_line_(resized).jpg
thoughts? comments?

#510 7 years ago

To stairstepping, one color to the next.

#511 7 years ago

That looks pretty damn good to me. The great thing about smartdmd is that anyone can customize the colors to their own preference. Personally, I like the desert the way it is.

#512 7 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

To stairstepping, one color to the next.

let's see, we've got a total of 128x32 pixels to work with (and in this case, only 128x25) and a total of 14 usable colors for our palette. how would you do it mr. picasso?

#513 7 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

let's see, we've got a total of 128x32 pixels to work with (and in this case, only 128x25) and a total of 14 usable colors for our palette. how would you do it mr. picasso?

I wouldn't.....I'd just leave it the original color......signed Mr Picasso.

#514 7 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

I've completed migrating all of mike d's original macro to 1.64 and am now starting to work on animations that were not completed.
here's an idea of what I'm thinking for "the end of the line"

thoughts? comments?

Looks good

#515 7 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

I wouldn't.....I'd just leave it the original color......signed Mr Picasso.

now I'm thoroughly confused. you would add a smartdmd to your metallica, but leave modes uncolored?

you realize that that's why I'm previewing what I'm attempting to color, correct? it's for metallica owners with a smartdmd installed

#516 7 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

now I'm thoroughly confused. you would add a smartdmd to your metallica, but leave modes uncolored?
you realize that that's why I'm previewing what I'm attempting to color, correct? it's for metallica owners with a smartdmd installed

If it looked like that I wouldn't put a smartdmd in my game, I'd leave the original in. To me the color doesn't add anything.

#517 7 years ago

you, sir, are obviously not the target audience that this is intended for

I'm not even sure why you bothered replying since this is obviously the smartdmd thread

#518 7 years ago

Yup I'm not BUT he DID ask for "thoughts and comments" didn't he so it's fair game. I didn't realize this was a feel good thread and only good comments were required to post here.

#519 7 years ago

it's not, but it's also not "let's jump into the thread and see what we can take a crap all over" either

I was looking for constructive criticism, not "hey, the product doesn't do what I want it to". an intelligent person would have been able to ascertain that there are limitations (resolution, number of colors that can be used, etc...) and provide comments based on that.

btw, I try not to speak about myself in the 3rd person, so the "he" in your post above I believe was referring to me

#520 7 years ago

here's an actual frame within the pinball browser software. only 334 more frames to color and 'the end of the line' will be complete
0x1522_-_end_of_the_line_(resized).jpg0x1522_-_end_of_the_line_(resized).jpg

and how it would appear (as "dots") on the display
end_of_the_line_(browser)_(resized).jpgend_of_the_line_(browser)_(resized).jpg

#521 7 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

btw, I try not to speak about myself in the 3rd person, so the "he" in your post above I believe was referring to me

You got me on that one, sorry. I've been following Smartdmd since it came out and have posted a few times and I still follow it so I didn't just "jump in". You asked for comments and I gave you mine. If you can't handle my comment you shouldn't asked for comments. I wasn't being mean, I just told you what I saw. Next time be more specific when you ask for input.

#522 7 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

here's an actual frame within the pinball browser software. only 334 more frames to color and 'the end of the line' will be complete and how it would appear (as "dots") on the display

And then you just have to hope there's room within the rom to save it ... or does smartDMD/PB allow for external storage now?

#523 7 years ago

I've got a little over 760K of free memory. I'm hoping that's be enough to complete the 'the end of the line'. if I've laid out my palettes correctly, I should be able to save quite a bit by not having to re-color a lot each frame

external storage would be a huge plus and make all of those projects which were once "un-doable" potential candidates once again

#524 7 years ago

You should have plenty of memory to complete MET, but don't forget the intro animation for EOL

Also, I'm not sure all of the desert frames are even used. It will be nice to see MET 100%.

#525 7 years ago

I was thinking that the "hammer falling" animation at the end of the image file should probably remain gray-scale since the actual hammer isn't colored. that helps out a bit too

#526 7 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

I was thinking that the "hammer falling" animation at the end of the image file should probably remain gray-scale since the actual hammer isn't colored. that helps out a bit too

Think of all the memory you'll save if you just keep everything original

#527 7 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

here's an actual frame within the pinball browser software. only 334 more frames to color and 'the end of the line' will be complete

Props man, we really appreciate it.

I'll likely never legitimately see EOTL, but I'll rest easier knowing if I ever do, it will look great.

#528 7 years ago

mike d. gets the credit for the 'roadrunner-esce' palette.

I ran into one unused desert frame (from another section of the image) that he had colored when I was re-organizing all of the frames and I really liked what he did. I've made a few subtle changes, but I think that metallica owners with a smartdmd will be pleased with the end result

it's amazing just how many "placeholder" images and animations can be found in the .bin file which are never used in the game. by re-drawing all of the unused sections, lyman could potentially add another 4 or 5 game modes to metallica

#529 7 years ago

work-in-progress sample
end-of-the-line-sample.gifend-of-the-line-sample.gif

for those metallica smartdmd owners in europe and other parts outside of the usa, I will also be completing the 'master of puppets' RIP tombstone animations (which replace the cross tombstone pieces used here in the states)

#530 7 years ago

Nice, but what's it look like with lighted....... oh, never mind

#531 7 years ago

Hi,
I didn't follow the thread completely... Could someone please help me with the offset for MET Premium?
By the way: awesome work what you guys are doing!!!

Greetings,
Dom

#532 7 years ago

dom,
if you're running firmware 1.64, there will be no offset necessary. I've already painstakingly gone through and [cleaned up] all of mike's macro (which was done for the 1.63 firmware) and corrected the offset already

- j.m.

#533 7 years ago

Unfortunately I don't have a smartdmd ;(
I'm just trying to help a friend colorize his pin2dmd

#534 7 years ago

dom:
you should be able to use pinball browser to determine the hexidecimal frame numbers (eg. 0x????) where ???? is the hex frame no.'s
the stern logo 0x5BF

#535 7 years ago
Quoted from Rappelbox:

Unfortunately I don't have a smartdmd ;(
I'm just trying to help a friend colorize his pin2dmd

See post 507 for the shift command

#536 7 years ago

Hi all,

New Met owner here and always interested in the lower cost, open, do-it-yourself mods.

Is the kit still available for this? I went to the link but no products showed up.

If not, anyone have any tips or maybe a wiki page describing how they are sourcing the various parts / brackets, etc.
Will the new Raspberry Pi Zero work?

Awesome work guys, totally impressed by your work on this!

#537 7 years ago

FYI - I'm working with another PinSider to possibly re-boot these kits, nothing is concrete just yet.

#538 7 years ago
Quoted from PinballMikeD:

FYI - I'm working with another PinSider to possibly re-boot these kits, nothing is concrete just yet.

will these new re-boot offerings include the lighted mod that you hinted at?

#539 7 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

will these new re-boot offerings include the lighted mod that you hinted at?

What's the lighted mod??

Why is everthing so mysterious?

I feel like there's an FAQ somewhere that everyone's read but me...

#540 7 years ago
Quoted from Fytr:

What's the lighted mod??

It's just an inside joke between two nerds

#541 7 years ago

Saw ColorDMD announced SMVE today. I've been working on a SmartDMD version for a little while and hope to have it complete soon.
https://vimeo.com/169616284

I have the graphics upscaled 2x. It looks a lot better in LED mode.

1 week later
#542 7 years ago

'the end of the line' intro animation
eotl-intro.gifeotl-intro.gif

#544 7 years ago

Anyone working on

STAR TREK LE?

#545 7 years ago

I finally completed coloring the 'end of the line', enjoy

the intro animation
eotl-(intro).gifeotl-(intro).gif

driving
eotl-(driving).gifeotl-(driving).gif

jumping the chasm
eotl-(jump).gifeotl-(jump).gif

literally, the end of the line (hidden for those that don't want to see)

#546 7 years ago

Amazing, great job

#547 7 years ago

Well done JM.

It's nice to see MET complete

#548 7 years ago

but does it pair well with the light up... ah nevermind

#549 7 years ago
Quoted from kapsreiter:

Anyone working on
STAR TREK LE?

Sharkky is ! Here is a preview. Currently trying to avoid memory problems using pin2dmd alternative keyframe/palette switching.

#550 7 years ago

looks great, would be interested to join this work

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods
Protection
$ 22.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods
Led
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball
Protection
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 98.00
Lighting - Interactive
ArcadeMade
Interactive
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods
Protection
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 4.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting
Led
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing
Other
$ 25.50
$ 60.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
NinjaCamp Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 30.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs
Protection
Machine - For Sale
Downers Grove, IL
$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Game Room Info Shop
Toys/Add-ons
Displays
Retrocity
Displays
$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 29.95
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Pimp
Decals
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
12,999 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Richfield, MI
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie
Other
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods
Other
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com
Armor and blades
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs
Protection
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 613 posts in this topic. You are on page 11 of 13.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/smartdmd-dmd-interface-with-colors-upscaling-network-and-more/page/11 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.