(Topic ID: 72365)

SmartDmd : DMD interface with colors, upscaling, network and more !

By oga83

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 613 posts
  • 123 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Cadrion
  • Topic is favorited by 153 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
hammer-falling.gif
tombstone-crumbling.gif
tombstone-exploding.gif
graveyard---rounded-tombstones.gif
ScottPin_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
MET_logo.jpg
eotl-(jump).gif
eotl-(driving).gif
eotl-(intro).gif
eotl-intro.gif
end-of-the-line-sample.gif
end_of_the_line_(browser)_(resized).jpg
There are 613 posts in this topic. You are on page 10 of 13.
#451 8 years ago
Quoted from damageinc55:

Can anyone give me the quick rundown on the proper procedure to implement existing colorized files into pinball browser?

I would actually like a breakdown on this also. I have the hardware, including the side channel stuff, but have been unsuccessful making it work with the macro for Met. I had no problems with my Tron install, but it's just a blue palette.

#452 8 years ago

you dont need sidechannel hardware to have colors working. You can also select inframe coloring. The only thing with last option is that the first 8 pixels in left upper corner are than reserved for identifying which colorpalette to use in that frame and this is sometimes noticeable

With ACDC I use inframe coloring and I cant recall ever seeing these 8 dots. With MET I did see it sometimes so I switched to sidechannel. After all it was only a few dollars of hardware.

So if you dont have sidechannel hardware first try to get it working with inframe coloring. This can be selected in the PinballBrowser software and has to be prior to running the macro I believe

#453 8 years ago

Yeah, i'm not able to get in-frame working yet.

I have mtl163.bin and smartdmd.txt.

I replaced smartdmd.txt with the same file on my pi sd card in the smartdmd folder. I'm able to open and edit on the browser.

From there, I presume we need to load the game code and run the macro? From there, do we reflash the code on to the machine?

This seems easy, but I think i'm doing things in the wrong order, or skipping a step. The colors are always a default template.

#454 8 years ago

Got inframe working and it looked pretty good. Shooting for side channel now, and Can't get anything beyond the default b/w. Strange.

I load the macros, run them against a fresh image. They look good in pb browser.

Save and flash the met pro table, hook everything up, nothing. I'm curious if the comm119 file is loading correctly and if the signals are being sent to the TTL-RS232. There is an LED on the TTL-RS232 that is lit up when connected to the SmartDMD board, so I *think* I have that set up correctly.

#455 8 years ago
Quoted from damageinc55:

I load the macros, run them against a fresh image.

Post your macro header so that I can check it's correct

Quoted from damageinc55:

There is an LED on the TTL-RS232 that is lit up when connected to the SmartDMD board

The TTL-TX led (or RS232-RX) should blink each time a new palette is selected

When configuring the side channel, there are 2 important points :
- Configure Pinball Browser to store the palette information in the side-channel : "Config Tab" / "Store Colors" drop down list
This has to be done before any frame modification. It is generally automatically performed by your macros (if they are designed for side-channel of course).
- Configure SmartDmd to use the serial port :"SmartDmd configurator / "Color mode" drop down list
You have to do it manually and copy your new smartdmd.txt file on your SD card.

sc_(resized).pngsc_(resized).png

#456 8 years ago

Are there plans for compatibility with Pin2DMD palettes created with the goDMD editor?

#457 8 years ago

WOW, so I was troubleshooting the fact that I might have a bad RS232 board, and I checked the reviews on amazon and found this:

"The order of the connection pins is different, ie. the Tx & Rx lines are swapped which means that the cables I had created will not readily work with these new boards."

So I swapped these two connections, and boom, working like a charm. So much troubleshooting and then to find out THIS was the problem

LOOKS GREAT THOUGH! Just need to frame it up a bit better. Thanks Olivier and Crash. This was a fun mod!

#458 8 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

Are there plans for compatibility with Pin2DMD palettes created with the goDMD editor?

Not at this stage. AFAIK, the goDMD editor is computing hash values on frames whereas SmartDmd is working with frame ids (either embedded into the frame or transmitted on a side channel).

#459 8 years ago

I'm having a bizarre behavior issue.

If I build from the smartdmd img file from scratch, make no configuration changes, enable broadcast, wireshark shows smartdmd broadcasting out to the specified address.

If I change the dmd type to Bally, which used to make the remote dmd viewer work, the broadcasts stop. I can't then get broadcasts to work again.

I'm figuring some setting is getting changed, but I can't find it.

#460 8 years ago
Quoted from jsa:

If I change the dmd type to Bally, which used to make the remote dmd viewer work, the broadcasts stop. I can't then get broadcasts to work again

Can you see the frames on the lcd screen (if not, the broadcast can't work) ?
Are you running in demo mode (10-second countdown when SmartDmd starts - if so, the broadcast stops after some time) ?
Which broadcast address did you use (a network address is needed, not a computer one) ?

Post the following smartdmd.txt parameters so that I can see if ther's something wrong :
dmd_type=
nice=
broadcastenabled=
broadcastaddress=
broadcastport=

You can also make a "diff" between the smartdmd.txt file that works and the one that doesn't.

#461 8 years ago

I may have a clue. I think it's the temperature. Would triggering the temperature sensor stop broadcasts as well?

Quoted from oga83:

Can you see the frames on the lcd screen (if not, the broadcast can't work) ?

Yes, frames are coming out fine on the LCD screen.

Quoted from oga83:

Are you running in demo mode (10-second countdown when SmartDmd starts - if so, the broadcast stops after some time) ?

No, it's running in full licensed mode.

Quoted from oga83:

Which broadcast address did you use (a network address is needed, not a computer one) ?

I used a local IP on my network, which here was 192.168.168.245.

Quoted from oga83:

Post the following smartdmd.txt parameters so that I can see if ther's something wrong :
dmd_type=
nice=
broadcastenabled=
broadcastaddress=
broadcastport=

dmd_type=3
nice=1
broadcastenabled=1
broadcastaddress=192.168.168.245
broadcastport=9876

After letting my RPi rest the evening, and rebooting, it started broadcasting again, as you can see here:

wireshark_capture_(resized).jpgwireshark_capture_(resized).jpg

Despite my machine receiving the packets, Pinball Browser's Remote SmartDMD Display continued to show a blank, yellow rectangle, even when the wireshark showed the packets continuing to hit port 9876.

The display stopped working and SmartDMD stopped sending packets after about five minutes. I had unplugged the HDMI to the LCD, and when I plugged it back in, discovered the "TEMPERATURE IS TOO HIGH!" message on the LCD, which explains what may have stopped it from working yesterday as well.

First question, is the temperature increasing as a result of adding the CPU load of broadcasting packets? I have the rPi in a well ventilated part of the backbox with no case. I'm using the built-in Ethernet (no wifi or USB dongles).

Second question, can I decrease the temperature sensitivity somehow?

Thanks.

#462 8 years ago
Quoted from jsa:

Would triggering the temperature sensor stop broadcasts as well?

Yes, you have found the issue

Quoted from jsa:

First question, is the temperature increasing as a result of adding the CPU load of broadcasting packets

I'm not sure but probably if this message never poped-up before

Quoted from jsa:

Second question, can I decrease the temperature sensitivity somehow?

Adjust the following parameter in smartdmd.txt :
temperature_max=50000
The default value is probably too low (50000 = 50°C) and you can use a value up to 70000 (70°C)

#463 8 years ago
Quoted from oga83:

Yes, you have found the issue

This solves the mystery of not sending packets, but it doesn't solve the mystery of why the Remote SmartDMD Display doesn't show anything. I have confirmed my machine running Pinball Browser is receiving the packets, but it's not displaying anything.

FWIW, I tried disabling the Windows Firewall. I had already tried confirming the port was open (which it was), but this still had no impact.

Thanks!

#464 8 years ago
Quoted from jsa:

it doesn't solve the mystery of why the Remote SmartDMD Display doesn't show anything

Are you using Pinball Browser in a virtual machine ? if so, make sure you use the IP of your VM, not the one of your PC
If your network frame capture was not done in the VM, it also explains why you can see the frames and PB cannot .

Quoted from oga83:

Try 192.168.168.255 : if your VM is on the same subnetwork, it will reach it.

#465 8 years ago
Quoted from oga83:

Are you using Pinball Browser in a virtual machine ? if so, make sure you use the IP of your VM, not the one of your PC.

The packet capture is on the virtual machine, which has its own IP address. The VM sees the packets, no need to change to a broadcast address. I've verified this and confirmed using other Internet applications in both directions, so the network config must be accurate.

I'll try the broadcast address just to be certain, but everything else checks out. I can even log into the virtual machine FROM the SmartDMD using the IP address I'm using.

#466 8 years ago
Quoted from jsa:

it doesn't solve the mystery of why the Remote SmartDMD Display doesn't show anything

I think that Pinball Browser v5.52 will fix this.
Something related to the firmware abstraction level, introduced in PB v5, prevented PB from displaying the frames.

#467 8 years ago
Quoted from oga83:

I think that Pinball Browser v5.52 will fix this.
Something related to the firmware abstraction level, introduced in PB v5, prevented PB from displaying the frames.

Confirmed. The release corrected the problem. Thanks again!

#468 8 years ago
Quoted from jsa:

Confirmed. The release corrected the problem.

FYI, you can increase the broadcast frame-rate with the following parameter :
timeout_frames=5
This parameter has to be defined after the line dmd_type=xxx in smartdmd.txt
The remote display fps is equal to (62/timeout_frames) on a Sam game (might be different on other games).
For example, timeout_frames=5 will give you about 12 fps on the remote display.
The minimum value is 2.

Just keep in mind that increasing the remote display fps will lower the LCD fps.

#469 8 years ago

Here's an example of SmartDMD on a WPC-S Theatre of Magic. Some notes:

I'm using a screen with a resolution of 1920x1080. However, to make the DMD larger, I dropped the resolution, then used -70 in the right and left overscan settings to fit my image the way I liked it.

I created the top and bottom framing by creating a single image that accommodated the space for the DMD screen, wrapping it in the speaker panel type graphics.

Right now, I haven't messed with the palette much, but I'm trying to reproduce the orange of the original DMD (note I'm using a ColorDMD below). If anyone has any palette settings they think have come closer, please share them.

IMG_0735-1_(resized).jpgIMG_0735-1_(resized).jpg

This makes a good way for people to see the score when there is a crowd around the machine, which happens a lot (and a lot of tall people).

#470 8 years ago

How did you make up the background where it wraps around the image?

#471 8 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

How did you make up the background where it wraps around the image?

In this case, my screen is a 1920x1080 native resolution. I set SmartDMD to 1280x768, as by doing that, it increases the size of the DMD part of the image to what I wanted. Then, I made a single 1280x768 image (Theatre of Magic at the top, and the lions/clock on the bottom). The location of the DMD part of the image you can choose (in this case, dmd_x0=130 and dmd_y0=304), so I put it roughly in the middle, slightly lower. The DMD "overlays" the image. By default, this would "pillbox" the image, leaving black bars on the right and left side of the image. (I could make a 1920x1080 image, but then the DMD part would be too small.) To correct the pillbox, I adjusted the overscan on the right and left by -70 each.

As for how I got the artwork right on the image, that is just me with photoshop, I guess! I took photos of the speaker panel art and touched it up appropriately. I was going to put curtains around it but I just got too impatient. It looks much less washed out in person.

#472 8 years ago

Ok...I couldn't handle leaving it unfinished so I added the curtains (this is what OCD does to you):

theatre_smartdmd_(resized).jpgtheatre_smartdmd_(resized).jpg

#473 8 years ago

Can the Raspberry be powered by the USB port on the SAM CPU/Sound board? I looked in the manual at the schematic and there's +5v there. If so, all it would require is a simple USB to micro USB cable.

#474 8 years ago

I think it only consumes about 100mA, so I would definitely say yes.

#475 8 years ago
Quoted from Starwriter:

Can the Raspberry be powered by the USB port on the SAM CPU/Sound board? I looked in the manual at the schematic and there's +5v there. If so, all it would require is a simple USB to micro USB cable.

Whoa, didn't consider this.

#476 8 years ago

Smart idea but I think the Raspberyy consumes more than 100 mA, more like around 500 mA. I choose the safe route. With Stern you will find left of the coindoor a connector (black-white if I recall correctly) where you will have you 110 or 230 VAC depenadable on country. I connected a standard powersocket to this in which I put a (for me 230 VAC) poweradaptor for 12 VDC for the LCDdisplay and 5 VDC poweradaptor for the Raspberyy. Costs are I think 10-15 USD for them together and I have for sure no concerns in blowing up an expansive CPUboard.

#477 8 years ago

That's an option I have been doing as well. I think the modern USB power standard supports something like 1.5A but I find that hard to believe.

#478 8 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

That's an option I have been doing as well. I think the modern USB power standard supports something like 1.5A but I find that hard to believe.

Not forgetting the question how modern the usb on a SAM system is .......

Find the idea cool but to risky for me The port at the coindoor is also switched via the main switch so how more easy can it be?

#479 8 years ago

OK, I'm going to be the guinea pig. If my CPU board blows up, oh well, people will know not to do that. Here is my logic on why this should be OK.
1. The 5V circuit is protected by a 4A fuse in the unregulated 8VAC line
2. The LM338 regulator is rated at 5A constant, 7A peak
3. Several people are running the Pi off from the J11 power input to the CPU/sound board
4. The L3 that is in series to the 5V on the USB port is rated at 1100ma
5. The Pi draws around 500ma with a max of 700ma
6. The coin or tix meter is run off the 5V. Although it's an intermittent load, the power circuit has to be designed to support it

I will take temp readings on the bridge and regulator for the 5V, before and after install. I will also take voltage readings at the 5V test point before and after. Although the LCD should still be run off a separate power supply, it just seams really simple, clean and cool to just plug the Pi into the USB port.

#480 8 years ago

Good research. Hope it goes well for you and yep, cool to just run it from there

Good luck !!

#481 8 years ago

Just as an FYI, you can get inline USB voltage/current meters pretty cheaply these days. Could throw one of those in to be sure of what the Pi is drawing if you wanted. Like this, and there are probably cheaper ones:

http://www.amazon.com/UEB-Digital-Multimeter-Capacity-Detector/dp/B0191EM01C/ref=sr_1_1

--Donnie

#482 8 years ago

WooooHooo!!! It works!! Went for it and plugged into the USB port. It's been running for a couple hours. All temps are the same as before and the 5v is the same. The Pi powers off with the game and boots up properly on power up.

#483 8 years ago
Quoted from djb_rh:

Just as an FYI, you can get inline USB voltage/current meters pretty cheaply these days. Could throw one of those in to be sure of what the Pi is drawing if you wanted. Like this, and there are probably cheaper ones:
amazon.com link »
--Donnie

Great Idea. Via Ebay you can get them for < USD 4 so I bought one. Nice wannahave

Quoted from Starwriter:

WooooHooo!!! It works!! Went for it and plugged into the USB port. It's been running for a couple hours. All temps are the same as before and the 5v is the same. The Pi powers off with the game and boots up properly on power up.

1 month later
#484 8 years ago

I bumped the temperature limit on my JP to 70C. The game will be running 24/7 on location in a warm environment. Hopefully I won't have any issues. If I do I'll try removing the blinker GI bulbs from the bottom of the backbox and installing heat sinks.

#485 8 years ago

By the way is it possible to lock in the screen resolution on boot-up? It's always either too small or a bit too large based on the resolution the LCD controller is receiving from the Pi. Looks like the res goes higher if I boot the system with HDMI connected. It's preventing me from fine tuning the border adjustments since I'm seeing two different results.

#486 8 years ago

Hey all,
I have a Baywatch with a DMD extender in it and working. I am not real "techy" but would it be possible to switch to SmartDMD? Anyone know what's would be needed? I appreciate any input. Thanks.

#487 8 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

By the way is it possible to lock in the screen resolution on boot-up? It's always either too small or a bit too large based on the resolution the LCD controller is receiving from the Pi. Looks like the res goes higher if I boot the system with HDMI connected. It's preventing me from fine tuning the border adjustments since I'm seeing two different results.

Yes, you can force the resolution by modifying your config.txt file.
See 'hdmi_mode' here : http://elinux.org/RPiconfig

#488 8 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

I bumped the temperature limit on my JP to 70C. The game will be running 24/7 on location in a warm environment. Hopefully I won't have any issues.

The default value is probably too low (50°C). It should work fine with 70°C.

#489 8 years ago

I'll check that resolution adjustment. I haven't had any issues since changing the temperature limit.

#490 8 years ago
Quoted from oga83:

Yes, you can force the resolution by modifying your config.txt file.
See 'hdmi_mode' here : http://elinux.org/RPiconfig

Hmm can this be the solution for the following?

With my acdc I have like 20-30% of the time that when booting I have a to small resolution eg the letters are much to big and don't fit on the display . switch off-on and everything is fine

With my Met I have never had this issue

#491 8 years ago

Any word on a bottom border adjustment fix?

#492 8 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

Any word on a bottom border adjustment fix?

Do you mean adjusting the bottom border when the screen is up-side-down ? (otherwise the bottom border can be adjusted)
If so, this is a Raspberry GPU firmware issue : I'll check if it has been fixed (with "apt-get update && apt-get upgrade && apt-get dist-upgrade")

#493 8 years ago

Yes that's what I meant. It's been a while so hopefully it has been fixed on the Raspberry side.

1 month later
#494 7 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

I'll check that resolution adjustment.

Added that line for 1024x768 to the config file. I added it as a completely new line per the instructions. It's still switching to another resolution half the time which causes the image to shrink and creates black borders. If I connect power with HDMI disconnected it stays consistent and fills the screen. Anything I'm doing wrong?

#495 7 years ago

any news if smartdmd will work in a Spike pinball?

#496 7 years ago
Quoted from kapsreiter:

any news if smartdmd will work in a Spike pinball?

It's on its way. If everything goes well, it should be 2 or 3 weeks from now.

#497 7 years ago

i hope

#498 7 years ago
Quoted from kapsreiter:

i hope
» YouTube video

This looks more like paging through the assets in pinball browser than a "SmartDMD Test" -- does SmartDMD even work in spike yet?

#499 7 years ago

yes its pbbrowser

i hope it will work soon
i have a unit here and want to get it in GB as soon as possible

#500 7 years ago

According to OGA's post couple days ago he hopes to have smartdmd running in Spike in a couple of weeks

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Game Room Info Shop

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

5,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Chittenango, NY
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 55.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 29.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

$ 4.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Duke Pinball

7,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Hot Springs, AR
$ 68.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

10,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Downers Grove, IL
$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 16.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Chrome Candy

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 613 posts in this topic. You are on page 10 of 13.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/smartdmd-dmd-interface-with-colors-upscaling-network-and-more/page/10 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.