New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 142007)

SmartDMD Color Display Setup Guide

By Crash

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 84 posts
  • 24 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Crash
  • Topic is favorited by 33 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 48 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

WP_20160416_009_(resized).jpg
    WP_20160416_008_(resized).jpg
    WP_20160416_002_(resized).jpg
    WP_20160416_005_(resized).jpg
    Capture1_(resized).PNG
    483.jpg
    482.jpg
    481.jpg
    479.jpg
    480.jpg
    478.jpg
    477.jpg
    476.jpg
    474.jpg
    475.jpg
    473.jpg

There are 84 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 4 years ago
    Quoted from Crash:

godmd supports palette modification.
    http://www.go-dmd.de

This can't be hooked into the existing smartdmd hardware/software configuration though can it? It seems to be a totally standalone solution.

1 week later
    #52 4 years ago

Has anyone found a suitable replacement for this since the listing has ended?

For 15.6 inch LP156WF1-TLB 1920x1080 + LCD Controller Board

ebay.com link » M Nt68676 Hdmi Dvi Vga Audio Lcd Controller Board For 15 6 Lp156wf1 1920 1080

#53 4 years ago

Any LP156WF1 will work. Will update the links.

1 week later
    #54 4 years ago
    Quoted from Hugg727:

Could we use the mounting kit for the Stern games from the ColorDMD site?
    http://shop.colordmd.com/pinbits-clear-shield-and-mounting-standoffs-for-new-stern-cabinets/
    It might take some customizing but this seems like a good start.

I ended up grabbing a clear display shield from pinbits (http://www.pinbits.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=573) and some hardware from grainger (https://www.grainger.com/). I'm not finished with my install yet, but so far it appears this should work (although I should have grabbed more washers)

Capture1_(resized).PNG

1 week later
    #55 4 years ago

Thanks for the tutorial. It really helps. So, I currently have a Dr. Pinball DMD extender setup that I'm just getting around to using, then I come across these SmartDMD threads.

This sounds so much cooler for my potc.

What do I need to switch to a SmartDMD setup?
    Is it just the SmartDMD software?
    Can I use the DMD extender in place of the SmartDMD board?

#56 4 years ago

Yes you can use the dmdextender in place of the official smartdmd board

I think you just need smartdmd software. If you need the Potc macro you can PM me. And than you have full color thanks to the excellent work of Sironzelot

#57 4 years ago

Thanks for the quick reply. Sent you a pm.

#58 4 years ago

Links updated.

#59 4 years ago

Thanks to Olivier, Crash, Rensh, and Sironzelot - one more POTC has a colorized DMD. This is awesome!

Tutorial was very helpful, but maybe somehow I missed it - I couldn't find the "six-character serial number displayed in the SmartDMD software". I didn't realize this was the Raspberry Pi serial number, which is displayed during the SmartDMD splashscreen and countdown when the SmartDMD is first booted up. Found this out from Olivier when I emailed the token. Note: My serial number was 8 characters.

All good now... thanks!

#60 4 years ago

Awesome. I made that sentence a bit clearer.

#61 4 years ago

Hi,

i have a Smartdmd in STLE. Have anyone a full colorized Version?

1 week later
    #62 4 years ago

*FINALLY* got to installing the SmartDMD into our Frankenstein today. Used those colors you posted and it looks great! Going to play it this way for a while before I mess with them.

Thanks again Crash!

1 week later
    #63 4 years ago

Some very helpful information in this thread and in the other SMartDMD threads as well.

About 2 months ago I bought a ColorDMD for my Mustang knowing that there was no support for my pin yet. I wanted the higher res screen and the ability to change the colors was nice. Even though I have been using pinball browser to edit my songs in the Mustang, I was leary to do this mod. Now, I cant wait any longer....I just ordered all of the parts and I am looking forward to doing this project. But I do have a few questions.

1. Since I already have the ColorDMD screen in place, can I use it and connect it to the SmartDMD board. Not trying to save money here, its that I already have it installed with an adapter and if I dont have to take it out, I wont

2. Colorized ROM for the Mustang...I have seen the youtube vid and seen it mentioned in here as a supported ROM. Can someone share it with us here?

Thanks

#64 4 years ago

I'm guessing ColorDMD doesn't have a 14-pin ribbon cable loop-through. In that case you would have to make your own vampire tap cable to add a connection mid-way.

#65 4 years ago

Just a quick question... does anybody know if there is any way to speed up the boot process? I have 3 DMD Extenders and one ColorDMD and they all start displaying the pinball machine data almost instantly. Our SmartDMD feels like it takes over a minute. Not a huge deal, just curious if I can speed it up some how.

#66 4 years ago
    Quoted from Crash:

I'm guessing ColorDMD doesn't have a 14-pin ribbon cable loop-through. In that case you would have to make your own vampire tap cable to add a connection mid-way.

Thats what I assumed Crash, thanks for confirming. I ordered all of the parts and will build it out completely.

Now I need to find someone who has colorized Mustang.......

#67 4 years ago
    Quoted from JeffF:

Just a quick question... does anybody know if there is any way to speed up the boot process? I have 3 DMD Extenders and one ColorDMD and they all start displaying the pinball machine data almost instantly. Our SmartDMD feels like it takes over a minute. Not a huge deal, just curious if I can speed it up some how.

Faster memory card in the raspberry pi may speed up the boot process.

#68 4 years ago

You can do this with any laptop lcd screen and controller board, right? I want one a little bigger for a Sega Baywatch, I've seen an 18.4" screen is recommended.

#69 4 years ago
    Quoted from Hugg727:

Thats what I assumed Crash, thanks for confirming. I ordered all of the parts and will build it out completely.
    Now I need to find someone who has colorized Mustang.......

#70 4 years ago
    Quoted from nwpinball:

You can do this with any laptop lcd screen and controller board, right? I want one a little bigger for a Sega Baywatch, I've seen an 18.4" screen is recommended.

Correct. Any screen Will work. Just try to get one which has good black levels

#71 4 years ago

Do I need a different controller board for 17.3 lcd screen in the first post ?

#72 4 years ago
    Quoted from Rensh:

Correct. Any screen Will work. Just try to get one which has good black levels

This is incorrect. I would strongly suggest using the 17.3" screen for large DMD Sega games and the controller board listed on the first page. Otherwise you have to verify the controller you buy will work with the panel you buy. Using a larger display will do nothing for the picture and will be too large to fit between the mounting posts/speakers on the speaker panel.

#73 4 years ago
    Quoted from Dazza88:

Do I need a different controller board for 17.3 lcd screen in the first post ?

Everything listed in the first post has been verified to be compatible.

#74 4 years ago

This is what got me thinking I might need a bigger screen from another thread:

"Waldo34, I believe, is using a 17.3" 16:9 screen, which is the same that I used in my Baywatch. This screen is slightly smaller than the original DMD and hence you see more of a gap at the top. To alleviate this Waldo needs to shift the DMD section upwards a little using the DMD position setting. Some other customers have used 18.4" screens which really fill the window, but these are harder to get hold of and cost more - my Application Note on replacing the large Sega screens suggests using the 17.3" screen. "

But if the gap from a 17.3" screen is negligible and it mounts better, I'll go with that.

2 weeks later
    #75 4 years ago

My Mavericks

1 week later
    #76 4 years ago

All these custom done SmartDMD's are bad ass...

1 month later
    #77 4 years ago
    #78 4 years ago
    Quoted from Jgaltr56:

I bought all the parts that Crash listed towards the end of last year but ended up selling my BF before using them. They are all in their original packaging never opened. If anyone is interested in the parts send me a PM. I'll make you a good deal and save you some ordering hassle.

PM sent.

#79 4 years ago

What am I doing wrong?? I have everything plugged up and power applied. SD card has been flashed and inserted into Pi. I get no display whatsoever. Doesn't matter if I power up on the bench (without the pin attached) or on the pin. Can anyone help please?

WP_20160416_005_(resized).jpg

WP_20160416_002_(resized).jpg

WP_20160416_008_(resized).jpg

#80 4 years ago

The ribbon cable connecting the DMD driver board to the CPU is disconnected in picture 2. Reconnect it and the SmartDMD will start receiving an image.

#81 4 years ago

Ok, connect to where? To the second slot in the SmartDMD board? The plug you see in pic 2 is the one connecting the DMD to the controller, I left it disconnected thinking I wouldn't need it connected as I was removing the original DMD from the machine.

#82 4 years ago

Back to square one then. Watch the playfield carefully during attract mode. Do you see any erratic bright flashing of the inserts?

#83 4 years ago

Here is an expanded pic of the Pi / Smart DMD connection. Does the original DMD need to be connected as well (loose plug in pic)

WP_20160416_009_(resized).jpg

#84 4 years ago

PM sent.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 24.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    Boards
    nvram.weebly.com
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 32.00
    $ 12,500.00
    $ 18.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    UpKick Pinball
    $ 7,599.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 35.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Pinball Haus
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    € 95.00
    Lighting - Led
    FlipperLED
    $ 84.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 114.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 10.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    UpKick Pinball
    $ 10.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 19.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 79.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 15.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 18.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    3D MODS
    $ 15.00
    $ 19.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Sparky Pinball
    $ 999.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 159.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 109.99
    $ 54.99
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    There are 84 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside