Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 47 posts
  • 15 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by pinzrfun
  • Topic is favorited by 8 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_7037 (resized).PNG
    IMG_7036 (resized).PNG
    IMG_7035 (resized).PNG
    IMG_7034 (resized).PNG
    IMG_7033 (resized).PNG
    IMG_7026 (resized).jpg
    IMG_7025 (resized).jpg
    9105864F-F191-49EA-B3E5-AFB0026F7572 (resized).jpeg
    F1A08888-6814-4D06-957A-0B327E411D13 (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    Power strip (resized).PNG
    Plug (resized).PNG
    20200114_211824 (resized).jpg
    20170903_171626 (resized).jpg
    20170903_171609 (resized).jpg
    20170903_171533 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jandrea95.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2 4 years ago

All very good questions. I to use a similar product. While your router can certainly handle the bandwidth of all these devices (next to 0) you have valid concerns.

Before I get to crazy, are you able to explain your current network setup? What type of equipment you have, etc? I only ask because im going to make a suggestion, but dont want to make one that will overwhelm you.

I will say this right off the bat, they make power strips with multiple outlets, and each individual outlet on said powerstrip can be individually addressed. May save you some money, and additionally, keep the ip addresses to a minimum.

#9 4 years ago
    Quoted from MT45:

Great question. I want individual machine control. I play every day. But likely 1-3 machines. Nice to be to turn on and off just those machines. When I have a party that’s really the only time they are all on

amazing gameroom! i dont want to reinvent the wheel for you but the main concern seems to be covered. just wanted to make sure you werent using some isp supplied router, haha. i use these with the smart LIFE (not things) app. works amazing, and each plug can be controlled individually

https://www.amazon.com/TECKIN-Multiple-Protector-Bar%EF%BC%8CRemote-Compatible/dp/B07FM3P87S/ref=sr_1_9

personally, I setup routines to which you can add siri, alexa, etc commands to. so for example you can assign a plug to ghostbusters, and tell siri to turn only that game, or a group on, and itll work.

#11 4 years ago
    Quoted from MT45:

Thanks for the follow up and yes, that is exactly what I’ve done with my test samples. I’ve got 4 of them setup through routines on my Echo Dot. I can simply say “Alexa - Turn on Spiderman” and just that game comes on. If I say “Alexa - Let’s play pinball” then the 4 test units all come on. “Alexa - Game Over” shuts them all down at once. Right now they work like a champ. Hoping this will be the same long term

i think you are set! my only concern, and maybe someone more educated than I can chime in, is what happens if one of these companies goes belly up? For example i buy smart plugs from brand x, brand x goes out of business, do my smart plugs still work?

i mean someone is housing the servers that run the api, etc. to allow it all to work together. that (to me) is more concerning than the actual hardware failing. my hopes is im missing something, and itll work forever, haha.

#15 4 years ago
    Quoted from JDissen87:

I use Z-wave in my house and I prefer it over WiFi. Just a personal preference, but experience has taught me that keeping something on a standard that does not rely on the cloud or internet to work tends to survive the longest and have fewest security flaws.
    My whole house is on Z-wave devices (switches, receptacles, dimmers, fan controls, power strips, whole house power monitoring, water leak detection, etc...) running on Home Assistant.

wish I would have researched more. im in IT but the amount of options is just ridiculous. love what you guys are saying about essentially an open source device that isnt dependent on cloud. my stuff works great.... but who is to say company x stays in business. i fear one day everything will just stop working.

1 week later
    #23 4 years ago

The wifi thing sounds like a router restriction rather than protocol restriction. Ill read up on zigbee.

#45 4 years ago

That is so damn satisfying to see! I bet you were holding your breath waiting for those last couple machines to power down, haha. Great work

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jandrea95.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/smart-plugs-dumb-questions?tu=jandrea95 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.