(Topic ID: 307266)

Smart Plug Automation Question - Power off delays needed?

By jedimastermatt

2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 4 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by JWJr
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 2 years ago

Greetings all - I’ve been busy over holidays putting the finishing touches on our new 2 car garage conversion into a dedicated game room and setup my first use of smart plugs via Alexa to control the power to all of the games (15 pins, 2 full sized vids with CRTs, about 11 Arcade1ups (that will eventually be converted to unique control or monitor orientation sets, a Skeeball alley, a Cyclone redemption machine, and a 4 sided coin pusher). Even with multiple dedicated circuits, I know it’s best to have the games stagger on with delays built into the routine; but, is it also wise to have delays on the power down?

I know on start up, the current draw will spike higher; but, since the power off is simply a hard cut - is a staggered delay on the power off sequence also a good thing to include?

Besides the smart plugs, is there anything else fun or handy to include with the Alexa automation for a game room that is recommended? I’m going to have the lights in the room included as well as music streaming eventually.

Once I get the room cleaned up and organized - I’ll share some pics in the official game room thread.

#2 2 years ago

Bumping this for the post holiday crowd. Happy Rush day.

#3 2 years ago

Nice - my Wi-Fi plugs used to be attached to Google Home so I could just walk down and say "hey Google turn on ACDC" and away it would go. I never delayed on or off - but I had a separate Wi-Fi plug for each machine and turned on one or two at a time.

The new room will use a hub and motion sensors to turn on lights for the stairs and game room "sections". I also want the hub to turn on the neon-signs separate. Plan was to use a vibration sensor at top and bottom so the HUB knows when you are at the bottom of the stairs.

The bathroom door is under the stairs so future plan is a hidden door bookcase for it. Should be fun

#4 2 years ago

My arcade automations stagger the ONs (3 second intervals) but do all the OFFs simultaneously. Never a problem.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/smart-plug-automation-question-power-off-delays-needed and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.