Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 211 posts
  • 77 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by cottonm4
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20230308_191905 (resized).jpg
    20230308_191854 (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    A012DF50-9050-48CE-B174-6C1AE19E12BF (resized).jpeg
    1620247335191330817-png__700 (resized).jpg
    6BF4B500-0B31-4610-A2B5-990E3BF7773D (resized).jpeg
    Screen Shot 2023-02-18 at 9.35.38 AM (resized).jpg
    UPwaBeV (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpeg
    Screen Shot 2023-02-18 at 5.58.41 AM (resized).jpg
    DSC00323 (resized).JPG
    pasted_image (resized).png
    image (resized).png
    825E5A06-0CEE-451D-A1DC-56C7C5D7E94E (resized).png
    A390FD64-52E1-424C-BACE-DDF5B63AAC6E (resized).png
    7DFCDC46-659F-43D4-A7ED-776F1A40BD3C_1_105_c (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider cottonm4.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 1 year ago

In 2008 I could buy a 20 lb. bag of cat food. Then the economy went into the shitter. Eventually, the cat food went to a 16 lb bag but the price stayed the same. Running the math showed the resizing amounted to a 30% price increase.

Here we go again.

https://www.kake.com/story/46651364/no-youre-not-imagining-it-package-sizes-are-shrinking

" No, you’re not imagining it — package sizes are shrinking"

" Dworsky said shrinkflation appeals to manufacturers because they know customers will notice price increases but won’t keep track of net weights or small details, like the number of sheets on a roll of toilet paper. "

Pretty sneaky the way you get bent over.

image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg

#25 1 year ago
    Quoted from pincoin:

A 2x4 has always been 1 1/2 by 3 1/2, when they are rough cut from logs they are 2x4, when milled smooth is when you loose the 1/2 inch. Been that way for decades.

No so.

They used to be 2 x 4s when I was a kid in the 50s. Then they moved to 1 3/4 x 3 3/4 and then on down to 1.5 x 3.5. These were finished 2 x 4s.

About 6 years ago, some 1940s/1950s triplexes one block from me were being torn down. I stopped for closer look, asked the dismantler if I could have a couple of real 2 x 4s. They are on my back porch somewhere.

Nowadays, it is difficult to buy a sheet of 1/2" plywood. They now measure 7/16". 3/4" measures less than 3/4"

#33 1 year ago
    Quoted from dirkdiggler:

Started with bacon about 7 or 8 years back when 500g packs became 375g for the same cost. Noticed about a year ago cheese slices went from a 24 pack to 22 now. Same with cheese whiz. Always was a 1kg jar. Now it's 900g. Wonder when hot dogs will be in 10 packs instead of a dozen?

500g = 16 0z. = 1 lb.

12 oz packages of bacon have been available around here for several years. But we have options. The 16 oz. is still available.

Although I have not seen a 16 oz. sack of potato chips since forever. They went to 12 oz. then down to 10 oz. I think the last I was was 9 oz.

#38 1 year ago
    Quoted from La4s:

Always make sure you read the price per oz/piece on the pricing labels.

You mean the fine print . I guess I am going to have to start bringing a magnifying glass to help with my shopping

#40 1 year ago
    Quoted from Deez:

This is really impacting everything. Look at pinside. It used to be a ton of awesome pinball content, now it has filler trash threads like this one.

Geez. I am sorry. I did not mean to offend you. Maybe I should turn this into a For Sale post?

https://pinside.com/pinball/community/pinsiders/fattdirk/forum/topics

#49 1 year ago
    Quoted from ShinyBall:

My snack size paydays are getting smaller AND so many less peanuts that you see the log more now, sticky cause of lack of peanuts.

Forget the Payday. Go buy a sack of candy corn and some peanuts. Same thing. This will at least be a cost savings on a comparative basis.

#59 1 year ago
    Quoted from ShinyBall:

For real?? I never would have thought that. Love candy corn and peanuts, guess that is why I buy paydays, even though they must have cut back the salt years ago from my childhood days. Just not the same.

Well, the Payday filler is a little more gooey. Other than that......

#60 1 year ago
    Quoted from LesManley:

Timely discussion as this is in our local paper today...
    [quoted image]

Oh yeah, I forgot: To get around the calorie count and other BS per serving, cereals now label the boxes as a full serving is only 3/4 cup instead of one cup. Same crap, smaller portions, but you will still fill up your cereal bowl. So no difference in what you are eating.

#61 1 year ago
    Quoted from Jamesays:

I noticed it when 1/2 gallons of Ice Cream disappeared

I noticed when gallons of ice cream turned into 3 quarts, a la Braum's.

#68 1 year ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

How do they do it?!?!?!
    I've definitely paid attention to the size and price of a bag of cool ranch Doritos over the years.
    Back in high school the Big Grab was 99 cents. It's $1.99 now and that grab ain't so big!

16-18 years ago I bought a bucket of Kentucky Fried Chicken. It was served to me in 2 buckets. The last time I bought a bucket of KFC, the order did not even fill one bucket. Now, I just buy a pot pie and call it a day.

#78 1 year ago
    Quoted from dirkdiggler:

Ha. Cool American flavor. One wonders what an American tastes like?

LOL.

#102 1 year ago
    Quoted from Bud:

Don’t believe everything you read, a 2x4 use to actually be just that… a 2x4. I’ve been in carpentry many years and use to frame houses in the 90s, and I’ve remodeled a few older homes that had actual 2x4 construction.
    The BS explanation is they start out 2x4 and are trimmed up to the current size (right, they trim off 25% of each board so they are straight and true… eye roll) This is completely false, especially in this day and age where precision instruments are used to maximize each log for lumber output.
    A 2x4 hasn’t been a 2x4 for many decades now but its not because they trim off and throw away extra. It simply is due to more board production per log and more money generated.

I mentioned this earlier. Thanks for the back up.

1 week later
    #121 1 year ago
    Quoted from Emkay79:

In my local grocery store packages of ground beef used to be ~1.1lbs. Yesterday I noticed they're now all packed at ~0.9lbs, presumably to make it seem the price hasn't gone up as much as it truly has.

You got it.

#129 1 year ago
    Quoted from Jamesays:

We all need to grow more if possible.Local store here selling lemons at 1.25 each.

In the early 70s we had the first gasoline shortage crisis thanks to Saudi Arabia. And for the rest of the 70s the economy spent a lot of time swimming in the toilet with high prices. Community gardens started to become that latest craze; After awhile, life moved on and the community gardens sort of faded away.

I tried a garden 1980 after I moved into my house. The weather was hotter than hell that year and what I planted burned up. That ended my gardening efforts.

I have crappy soil that I am trying to improve and look to try my hand at gardening again next year.

I also have found out that I can grow a bing cherry tree in my growing zone. And supposedly I can also grow an Asian Pear tree ( Before the pandemic I could buy Asian pears for $1.00 each. I thought a dollar was too much but then I realized they were always sweet and always crunchy so I started loading up).

After the pandemic had mostly past, Kroger brought some Asian Pears back. They were priced at $3.00 each and were undersized. I passed. I think everybody else also decided they cost too much, too. I have not seen any since. So, I am looking at trying to plant an Asian Pear tree.

#138 1 year ago
    Quoted from Pinball_Postal:

The vegetables taste great but it is work.

My cousin who lives a few miles from me and has well water and plants a good size garden. The radishes from his garden put the ones in the stores to shame. His radishes have that "bite" that lights up your mouth when you bite into them; The ones on the store are bland, tasteless orbs that offer some crunch---with no flavor.

Also, several months I ago I started eating an Asian style diet. The carrots I can buy in the Asian stores are fat, juicy, and sweet tasting. The carrots you buy from the grocery stores are just more tasteless crunch. If you like good tasting carrots, go to the Asian stores, if you have the option.

6 months later
    #157 1 year ago
    Quoted from Crash:

Thanks to your government printing 40% of America's money supply in a single year. Pinball has been an amazing inflation hedge!

Agreed. But I find myself wondering how stiff pin prices will be in an era of rising interest rates?

#165 1 year ago
    Quoted from girloveswaffles:

Many stations had pumps that could dispense and count off the cost of gas by the Liter (I'm assuming that maybe those pumps were designed for the U.S. and Canada).
    It wasn't uncommon to see stations selling gas at 27-31 cents per liter instead of 99.9 cents a gallon.

I never saw gas pumps that could measure in both liters and gallons. But in the early 70s there was a big push for the U.S. to swap our Imperial system of measurement and move to the Metric system. Both sides of the argument were calling the other side idiots. Eventually, someone asked how much it was going to cost to replace all the speed limit signs and mileage/distance signs and the matter died on the vine.

But not before we had 3 or 4 years worth of some Detroit automobiles with dual measurements on the speedometer. I'm guessing these metric pumps had something to do with the U.S. attempting to move to the metric system.

image (resized).pngimage (resized).png

Anyway, the U.S. never made the switch but we have a bastardized measuring system to jack with.

For instance,

1) in today's environment, every mechanic has to have a set of Metric wrenches and a set of American Standard wrenches in his toolbox. And also two sets of socket wrenches. Winners: The tool makers such as Snap-On and Mac Tools. And not just for the extra sales of tools. More tools meant that tool boxes had to get bigger. Today's gas station mechanic needs a tool box as big as commercial top load freezer.

2) If I want a set of metric socket wrenches, I need to decide if I want 1/4" drive, 3/8" drive, or 1/2" drive metric sockets. Ah...yeah, I need a 13 mm socket with 1/2" drive.

3) I worked for Beechcraft building airplanes. There were only American Standard nuts and bolts for a product that is exported all over the world.

Since the U.S. never made the hump to metric system, the online authors, who are writing for a wide audience have to quote something in both Metric measurements and Imperial measurements so we can figure out what the size is.

Our Canadian neighbors must be shaking their heads about the idiots south of the border who don't know what a liter is. Although, I do believe they also have to contend with metric socket sets that come in 3/8" drive.

#168 1 year ago
    Quoted from Luckydogg420:

All speedometers in Canada have the dual measurements but the km/h is the bigger number on the outside. It’s been this way as long as I can remember.

How old are you? Do you know if the dual reading speedometer was around before 1973?

#172 1 year ago
    Quoted from Crash:

When I was a kid in the 90s I remember my mom said she could fill up the van for only $20. I think in our state gas was exactly $1.00 per gallon.

Gasoline pretty much settled in around $1.20 per gallon for a long time. In late 80s and early 90s I drove a Lincoln Mark V with a gas guzzling 460 ci engine. A round trip to see family in Dallas cost me around $100.00 per trip. In 1995, I bought a Honda Civic with its 4 cylinder 1500 CC engine. Now a RT to Dallas was only costing me about $30.00 as I recall. I learned to like small cars with this mileage/cost difference.

$20.00 to fill up a van sounds about right. That Honda was costing only $9.00 to fill up.

1 month later
    #176 1 year ago

So just caught this one today:[quoted image]

And via the magic of creative packaging the smaller 8 oz. container on the right looks larger than the larger one on the left.

#183 1 year ago
    Quoted from CubeSnake:

ALL junk food is thru the roof....pretty much doubled in price and 1/2 the quantity. Probably not a bad thing if it stops people from eating that shit....

You know those candy bars high school bands sell for a dollar? They are still a dollar, but they look like a Hershey bar that has been split 4 ways. Long and flat.

This pic will give you an idea.

Screen Shot 2023-02-18 at 5.58.41 AM (resized).jpgScreen Shot 2023-02-18 at 5.58.41 AM (resized).jpg

#184 1 year ago

And then there is the Toblerone chocolate bars.

Toblerone made the move to smaller size a few years ago. But the triangular box did not change. I don't know how it is handling the price/size equation today.

6 years ago.

image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2016/nov/08/toblerone-gets-more-gappy-but-its-fans-are-not-happy

#186 1 year ago
    Quoted from Crash:

I don't buy much dry food anymore from retail stores as the prices have gotten way out of hand. I literally saw a container of peanuts for THIRTEEN DOLLARS the other day. Bargain Hunt is my secret weapon. Lots of food on clearance and they will sometimes just mark down your ticket for the heck of it. I also found Velveeta macaroni and cheese shells for 40 cents once, literally 1970s prices. They usually go for about $5. And 32oz containers of organic roasted tomato soup for 50 cents each, normally $3.50. Here's one of my receipts, nearly $35 worth of food for $8. 3 sacks of stuff for less than a trip to the fast food drive through.
    See if you can find a similar place in your town and just check out what they have. Lots of people not paying retail prices for food and that overstock has to go somewhere. Just be wary the packages aren't dented, damaged, or expired. Also see if you can find a farmer or produce market for good prices on better quality fruits and vegetables. I'm blessed to know someone who raises chickens and he often gives me some of his extra eggs.
    [quoted image]

Looks like Bargain Hunt is concentrated down in the southeast. I don't know if there is something similar around here.

Screen Shot 2023-02-18 at 9.35.38 AM (resized).jpgScreen Shot 2023-02-18 at 9.35.38 AM (resized).jpg

#197 1 year ago
    Quoted from Crash:

Or waffling to the guy sitting next to you about how your eggs and potato plate is now $13. Sorry, I couldn't resist.

I don't know where you live but around here Amazon is putting the squeeze on many businesses when it started its $15.00 minimum wage. Other employers, including Walmart, have had to raise their wages to match. And they had to jack their menu prices to pay for the wage increase.

Boy, we are gonna miss the cheap labor.

#203 1 year ago

Okay, so both the 10oz. and 8oz. bottles have a very slight indentation on the bottoms, most likely to strengthen the bottle, but both bottles are still identical in size and shape.

??? One is an 8oz. bottle and the other is 10 oz. If they are same size then the factory is short filling one bottle and changing the labeling is only thing I can think of.

I did see something like this several years ago when the package down-sizing started happening. There were two brands of coffee. Both brands had cans the same size, but one had something like 3 oz. less coffee in the can. I call it potato chip packaging where you are buying a lot of air.

Speaking of potato chips, it has been awhile since I have seen a 16 oz. bag of chips.

#205 1 year ago

When is the last time anyone found a Half Gallon container of Ice Cream for that matter?

In 2008 Braum's ice cream started coming in 3 qt. containers instead of 1 gallon containers.. I have not seen 1 gallon containers since 2008. I forgot all about half gallons.

1 week later
    #209 1 year ago
    Quoted from Jamesays:

My local Safeway is selling Bananas at 34 cents each,no longer by the pound.Some Bananas are big and some small.Same price .Sometimes I go in and only smalls left now.DOH

I wonder how long this will last? I supposed when all the small left overs turn black. This is a stupid corporate move.

1 week later
    #211 1 year ago
    Quoted from goingincirclez:

Caught this really sneaky one yesterday. The volume label was at least clear but the bottles are so close in size I almost didn't catch it. I actually felt the difference which made me do a double take.
    [quoted image]
    [quoted image]

That is one of the sneakiest ones I have seen.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider cottonm4.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/smaller-packages-are-coming-again-?tu=cottonm4 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.