(Topic ID: 77542)

Pin Transport: 2013/14 RAV4 or Subaru? (Rav4 wins)

By pinster68

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 30 posts
  • 15 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by steve1515
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image-753.jpg
    image-727.jpg
    image-657.jpg
    #1 10 years ago

Wife and I are car shopping to replace her '96 Toyota Landcruiser. While I may hold onto it for pin transport, I'd like to consider our new 2013/14 SUV finalists for pin-toting capability...

Toyota RAV4: Cargo space looks cavernous, with fold-flat rear seating and plenty of height.
    Subaru Forester: Cargo area looks a little bit tighter, but I think a pin would fit okay
    Subaru Xv Crosstrek: I think we're pushing it here. Then again I saw that Pinsider that put a pin in a Honda fit!
    Subaru Outback: As with the others recently redesigned. A possibility.

Not into the Honda CRV, or larger SUVs. While I know they'd fit a pin or two with ease, it's just more than we need.

#2 10 years ago

Okay then ... crickets. Well we made a decision quicker than expected. Now in the driveway:

image-657.jpgimage-657.jpg

Cargo area was quite large. Haven't tested it with a pin (yet), but I have no doubt there's room for the largest of pins (except a Hercules).

image-727.jpgimage-727.jpg

If all else fails I'm keeping our Landcruiser for now...

My new project vehicle (cuz I need more projects. )

image-753.jpgimage-753.jpg

#3 10 years ago

Love Toyotas to death, very cool car. Back looks perfect for 2 dogs oops I mean pins...

#4 10 years ago

How did you decide the Rav4 over the other choices ? Past experience with your other Toyota ?
    Congrats on the new car.

#5 10 years ago

I am a big Toyota guy. Good choice. Curious how many miles were on the Cruiser and how much did they give for trade in? I could have traded you some pins-LOL

#6 10 years ago

I can get a Sterns NIB in my 09 RAV 4. (spare is still mounted on back swing gate) The new RAV4's look smaller to me on inside, but I don't know. The downside on the older RAV4's is the spare on the swing gate instead of the lift gate. Makes a little harder to get the game in.

#7 10 years ago
    Quoted from Pindog:

How did you decide the Rav4 over the other choices ? Past experience with your other Toyota ?
    Congrats on the new car.

Combination of past experience, Consumer Reports rating, visits to two dealers (with test drives) and the competition (Subaru).

#8 10 years ago
    Quoted from pinmister:

I am a big Toyota guy. Good choice. Curious how many miles were on the Cruiser and how much did they give for trade in? I could have traded you some pins-LOL

The LC has 197k and still running strong. It needs some work ... kinda like shopping a pin, just different parts and repair procedures. Hmmm, I'm sure the engine hardware would look nice tumbled!

Oh, and no trade-in ... the dealer won't take a car that old. I'm fine with it. It's still a very cool vehicle ... and becoming quite a cult classic. There's a pretty serious following over at www.ih8mud.com where I'm a member.

#9 10 years ago

A pin fits easy in my wife's 2013 Rav4. I've also fit tall arcade games (Tron, Battlezone), but they're really tight...you end up having to slide the passenger seat all the way forward and partially balance them on the armrest between the front seats.

#10 10 years ago
    Quoted from ryanwanger:

A pin fits easy in my wife's 2013 Rav4. I've also fit tall arcade games (Tron, Battlezone), but they're really tight...you end up having to slide the passenger seat all the way forward and partially balance them on the armrest between the front seats.

Good to know, thanks!

#11 10 years ago

Congrats...and worst case, you have a local friend with a gas guzzling pin hauler

#12 10 years ago

Congrats on the purchase! Nice choice as well; Toyota did a great job with the redesign on the RAV4 and you just can't beat them for reliability.

#13 10 years ago

I have a 2011 RAV4. The spare tire on the back looks stupid, but I love that storage space. My guess is that's where the spare tire is now.

This car was built for pinball hauling.

#14 10 years ago
    Quoted from jalpert:

I have a 2011 RAV4. The spare tire on the back looks stupid, but I love that storage space. My guess is that's where the spare tire is now.
    This car was built for pinball hauling.

I kinda like the utilitarian look of the tire ...but the 2013/14 is nice.

#15 10 years ago
    Quoted from PinFan4Life:

Congrats on the purchase! Nice choice as well; Toyota did a great job with the redesign on the RAV4 and you just can't beat them for reliability.

Holding onto the Landcruiser for now. You'll be surprised how much cargo room the Rav4 has, so no worries either way.

#16 10 years ago

So... Put a Pin in it, let's see what it looks like!! How is the gas mileage rated on the Rav4? Are they All Wheel Drive? I am looking too...

Thanks, Dave

#17 10 years ago
    Quoted from PinsOnly:

So... Put a Pin in it, let's see what it looks like!! How is the gas mileage rated on the Rav4? Are they All Wheel Drive? I am looking too...
    Thanks, Dave

Believe me I can't wait to test it. Right now the garage is getting a workout while I fix my other vehicles ... but when I get a chance I'll be testing the Rav4 out.

MPG on the new Rav4 is 24/31/26 (city/highway/combined)

Standard is FWD, we went with the optional All-Wheel Drive.

#18 10 years ago

Toyota hands down for me I love them cars everyone in the family has one, my daughter just bought a new 2013 rav4 also her 98 camry had 319,000 miles sold it for 3500 to the first guy that looked at it

#19 10 years ago
    Quoted from Turboderf:

Toyota hands down for me I love them cars everyone in the family has one, my daughter just bought a new 2013 rav4 also her 98 camry had 319,000 miles sold it for 3500 to the first guy that looked at it

The experience at the dealer was excellent (Crestmont Toyota in Wayne, NJ). As it turns out our daughter is now fast-forward into buying replacement for her 2001 Volvo S60 I gave her a while back. She test drove the Corolla and really likes it. Also checked out the Honda Civic - which is real nice too, but a bit more money. Either would be an excellent choice.

I have an aging BMW Z4 Roadster ... and while I love the car I was pretty impressed with both Toyota and Honda offerings. It's going to be hard to say no to them when It's time for me to trade up. I think the value is pretty darn good ... and I'm a staunch follower of Consumer Reports - if they like it, I like it.

#20 10 years ago

I have an '09 Outback and can't transport pins as there is not enough clearance. Hopefully, the newer models have more room.

#21 10 years ago
    Quoted from SteveO:

I have an '09 Outback and can't transport pins as there is not enough clearance. Hopefully, the newer models have more room.

The Outback we looked at "seemed" roomy enough. I was concerned about height though ... I'm thinking no based on your experience.

The Forester however looked like it had plenty of room ... one of my few gripes though was just the design ... boring exterior and cheapy-looking interior. I know Subaru's strength is reliability and performance. It really was a nice vehicle, but in comparison the Rav4 won out by a mile.

#22 10 years ago

Honda is a good car also but stick with the Toyota I worked for Toyota & lexus for 20 years I think its one of the best cars made

5 months later
    #23 9 years ago

@pinster68: Have you tried using the rav4 for pin transport yet? I'm looking at a new 2014 rav4 and am hoping to get your thoughts on it.... both pinball related and otherwise.

#24 9 years ago

Not sure how different the 2014 Rav4 is, but it is pretty easy to get a pin in the 2010 model. If you are going to buy a Rav4, make sure you spring for the v6 and the towing package. You can fit one pin in the back, but it also has a high enough tow rating to pull any uhaul trailer for the times where one just isn't enough.

#25 9 years ago
    Quoted from steve1515:

@pinster68: Have you tried using the rav4 for pin transport yet? I'm looking at a new 2014 rav4 and am hoping to get your thoughts on it.... both pinball related and otherwise.

Yes, just hauled a Flintstones home about a month ago. Easy loading height and plenty of room to spare. I agree with Nexyss on the motor and towing package. We have the Rav4 Limited, plenty of power there..

BTW, my beloved Landcruiser is gone. Sold to a fixer that was shipping it to Africa.

#26 9 years ago

New model RAV4 only comes with a 4 cylinder engine (2.5L with 176 hp). Test drove and it does not compare to my 2009 with 3.5L and 269 hp.

Also seemed like they removed a number of features and of course it is more expensive. Still nice but will keep looking so it doesn't feel like a compromise. In addition there were several recalls so concerned about Toyota quality level.

Eric

#27 9 years ago
    Quoted from emsrph:

New model RAV4 only comes with a 4 cylinder engine (2.5L with 176 hp). Test drove and it does not compare to my 2009 with 3.5L and 269 hp.
    Also seemed like they removed a number of features and of course it is more expensive. Still nice but will keep looking so it doesn't feel like a compromise. In addition there were several recalls so concerned about Toyota quality level.
    Eric

That is terrible. I think I will be looking for a different vehicle next time. The V6 is what really set this SUV apart from the competition.

#28 9 years ago

pinster68, isn't the limited you have also a 4-cylinder? (2014 model)?

I was looking at the XLE and it seemed nice online anyway... haven't seen it in real life yet.

#29 9 years ago
    Quoted from steve1515:

pinster68, isn't the limited you have also a 4-cylinder? (2014 model)?
    I was looking at the XLE and it seemed nice online anyway... haven't seen it in real life yet.

Looked it up, I guess it does. Seems to be plenty of power to me. Really all we need.

Funny thing is I owned a Range Rover and Toyota Land Cruiser ... both with enough towing capacity pull most anything, but you know I never did actually tow a darn thing. Sure spent a ton on gas with them though.

#30 9 years ago
    Quoted from pinster68:

but you know I never did actually tow a darn thing. Sure spent a ton on gas with them though.

That's my thought exactly. I think I'll never use it and will end up wasting money on the gas.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/small-suv-shopping-anyone-with-a-201314-rav4-or-subaru and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.