pasted_image (resized).png
20230711_133112 (resized).jpg
20230711_132402 (resized).jpg
20230419_205104 (resized).jpg
B4ACA340-4DDF-4E9F-892B-5E4E9E29AF7E (resized).jpeg
C02DF4C8-DD9A-4F04-B37D-5C610F4F8B51 (resized).jpeg
8DC66FAA-F87E-4E0D-B6A7-07163BEE03C2 (resized).jpeg
BB043C8D-E4AB-4A31-87EC-83528E97C801 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider HoakyPoaky.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#84 3 years ago
Quoted from SilverballSleuth:

AGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
I thought I was done with this - until technology screwed me over. I’ve been doing this project on an old CRT monitor that’s been passed through the family for forever.
Well, it looked REALLY good. I took a photo to prove my fabulous circle redrawing skills when I noticed something alarming, through the camera of my phone - see photo #2. There’s the slightest variation of black in this photo of my CRT monitor which isn’t visible to my eyes, but to a smartphone camera.
I figured I needed to open my laptop to see it in hi-def, and guess what? Photo #1 shows my fill tool didn’t really work too well.
This is not a cancellation - just a delay. I’m glad I realized it - otherwise y’all would have spent money to print this, looked *real* close at the playfield and been very upset at me.
This has been a massive undertaking - and in retrospect - maybe not worth it. But - I’ve come this far so - onward to painting thousands more individual pixels zoomed in at 800%.
[quoted image][quoted image]

So what happened with this? It's been 2 months & now it looks like his account is inactive.

Like everyone else here, I could desperately use an AS playfield scan, or better yet a reproduction playfield.

4 months later
#90 3 years ago

I don't know who's listening on a reproduction playfield run.....but I'm giving this request another BUMP!

1 week later
#109 3 years ago

This is great news! Fingers crossed. I really feel you'll sell a lot of these.

Every AS I've seen needs a new playfield, including mine

1 month later
#112 3 years ago

Is there an estimate when these AS playfields might be produced? First half of 2021? Last half 2021?

I cannot state how happy I am this title is moving forward Hopefully plastics set as well

2 months later
#114 3 years ago

Just checking in for any Mirco Alien Star updates

#121 3 years ago
Quoted from Highclasspinball:

Hi,
So far I have no master to use, but even if I have no time for repros right now. All machines are running at max capacity and we already experience delays on the other new repro titles. We received a new high speed cnc this week which will hopefully add enough capacity to have s few new repros running each week. My plan is to add more titles in the summer...
Regards,
Mirco

As long as AS eventually gets made, I'll be happy. Thanks for the update

1 month later
#136 2 years ago

Overlays are awful IMO. They would never be an option for me. I'd rather play on my worn playfield.

Unless someone sends Mirco a nice AS playfield, I wonder if this will ever get released.

1 month later
#149 2 years ago

It's been over 90 days since Mirco requested a master playfield for the AS artwork.

Did he contact anyone yet to arrange shipping for a donor playfield yet?

#151 2 years ago

Well that's disappointing. I know they were catching up on their backlog for months, but I wonder how much of a priority AS is for them. Sounds like they still don't have a master. At this rate, I'd be shocked if these get produced this year.

6 months later
#157 2 years ago

I'll have to make some hard decisions if a reproduction playfield doesn't get released this year. Fingers still crossed on Mirco. I don't like having projects in limbo that take up my limited workspace.

At some point I'd rather sand just my playfield down to a white wood & clear it. I'm not a fan of overlays. They just aren't an option for me.

#160 2 years ago
Quoted from jim5six:

Sand away gentlemen! I love having an Alien Scar I can play now... Also it gets you to do all the other work, So when you can do the swap you know everything else is working and you dont have to rebuild it all at once. Just my 2 cents!
[quoted image]
-Jim

Yeah good point. I'll just keep playing yours Jim. haha

2 weeks later
#176 2 years ago
Quoted from jr-007:

Ok I understand. As I've already say, I continue to drown the star as per on original
[quoted image]

While it is tedious work to draw each star individually, the graphics will look correct & appear far superior when compared to a stock starfield photo.

Your effort is appreciated by all in this thread Keep up the good work!

1 month later
#190 2 years ago

Your dedication to this project is appreciated!

6 months later
#193 1 year ago

Well it's been 4 months.... might as well ask again

Any updates from Mirco or @jr-007?

#202 1 year ago
Quoted from La4s:

I may be able to help with getting a good scan of this playfield. I know nothing about scanning playfield, but I can learn.
I came across what is essentially a NOS playfield that was put into a game and had less than 200 plays (according to the operator) before it broke down and was taken off of location and placed in a warehouse. It has some minor scratches/gouges above the left sling, and typical beginnings of planking, but otherwise the rest of the playfield appears to be in phenominal shape.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

That's about as good an AS PF candidate you're going to find for scanning. Mirco's excuse has always been he would reproduce the playfield, but he has never acquired a good candidate PF for scanning. That PF you have is very hard to find in that condition. That would be the best donor playfield that's come along in years.

There have been scans of playfields floating around, including the nice reconstruction that jr-007 created recently. It seems like Mirco has little use for them. For his process, I'm pretty sure he needs a PF to scan himself. I'm not sure if anyone would be willing to send him their AS NOS playfield.

#203 1 year ago
Quoted from hisokajp:

have they done Gottlieb yet? I assumed the license may be difficult to get for those?

I feel like I asked CPR about AS before & they expressed very little interest in perusing it. But they have made Gottlieb PFs before. I know they've produced a Joker Poker playfield since then, so maybe they'd reconsider?

I'd guess 75% of AS owners could use a new playfield. They'd sell a ton of them. I think everyone in this thread is completely fed up waiting for Mirco at this point.

#209 1 year ago
Quoted from La4s:

After everything I have read over the years, I would not send this playfield to Mirco.

I agree totally. Mirco would keep your original & send you a reproduction in its place.

I think the issue, for all these manufactures, is the lack of a high quality playfield for scanning. Perhaps you could reach out to CPR & see if they'd be interested in your nice playfield. I wouldn't have any hesitation loaning a PF to CPR.

#210 1 year ago

I feel like somehow, someway, this playfield is going to reproduced at some point. The years of waiting is the hardest part.

2 weeks later
#216 1 year ago

Forgive me but is Fantasic Pinball the group that took over John Greatwich’s PF production services? Sounds familiar but I can’t really recall.

If you decide to produce Alien Star PFs, you will sell quite a few of them. Practically every owner needs one.

#224 1 year ago

Ooooo now this is getting interesting!

#240 1 year ago
Quoted from FantasticPinball:

To manage expectations, this takes a very long time.

This thread is nearly 5 years old, yet still kept alive by the owners who are so desperate for a repro PF. Hell I know 3 people locally who really need one.

I'm sure everyone here is very grateful you've picked up the torch on this project & are willing to wait until it's completed. This is really exciting. I'd almost given up hope

Looking forward to the updates!

#241 1 year ago

Now if only someone would reproduce the backglass as well....

I've asked Coos in the past, but it's basically the same issue with the playfield. No suitable donor artwork to base the reproduction artwork off of. I purchased a Countdown reproduction with mirroring from him recently, and I swear he makes the best backglasses. The mirroring was just incredible.

#247 1 year ago
Quoted from BorgDog:

I have a BGResto in mine.

Last resort for me

#253 1 year ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

I have discussed scanning mine in and having Coos make one.

The great news just keeps on coming. Oh how I hope this is true.

#256 1 year ago
Quoted from BorgDog:

It definitely looks good in my opinion. I don't think it transmits light as well as the original but I think I've heard that of most bgresto backglasses.

I'm not sure of BGresto's process, but I feel the film with the image is too thick & dark to allow enough light through it. I had to add a ton of additional LED strips to my QS repro just to make it look better. I won't even mention the lack of communication throughout the process.

Coos process is superior IMO. Lets light pass through, the colors are vibrant & the mirroring is fricking gorgeous. And a quick turnaround. If he decides to commit to making AS, then that's the way to go.

1 week later
#261 1 year ago

Very interesting seeing your development process! That reference playfield looks pretty nice. Big thanks to MikeS helping you out with this.

Are you able to reproduce plastics as well? Just curious

#264 1 year ago

Yeah man. Pretty sure every owner in this thread will take a PF & a plastics set. You picked the right title to produce.

#268 1 year ago
Quoted from meSz:

Am I the only one that's expecting Mirco to announce he has these on his production line now that Fantastic has agreed to produce them???

His excuse has always been the fact that he doesn't have a suitable donor PF for scanning. Fantastic has my business regardless, as I'd rather support an upcoming independent PF manufacturer anyway.

1 month later
#295 1 year ago

This is a good question. I noticed the weird mix. It is like they grabbed what was available. I will likely make the first batch (5) as per original before looking at any modifications.
Fantastic

I’d make a few PFs exactly as the original to satisfy the purists, but I also support modern improvements & changes if it makes sense. I wouldn’t mind seeing clear starburst inserts everywhere. In fact I’d prefer that. Uniform look & easy enough to use colored LEDs in the clear inserts as you see fit.

I just want I cleared pretty playfield to replace my roached one! Keep up the great work

2 months later
#321 1 year ago

https://fb.watch/jK-5jP3qz_/?mibextid=qC1gEa
Partial success. We got things dialled in with the colours but ran out of time before we could print on the whitewood. I forgot about the long weekend and everyone was eager to depart.
Test prints for colour were made at 3/4 scale but this messes with the half tones (gradient mesh)
It will be printed to wood on Tuesday.
Fantastic!

Great news! Sorry to hear about your widebody production issues, but it sounds like you're still able to press ahead with Alien Star. Ready to order when you give the green light

1 week later
#323 1 year ago

You really nailed the artwork! So glad to see that testing is progressing along.

2 months later
#343 9 months ago

Yeah he had a few major setbacks with printer over the last few months, but things are progressing along now. Recently he was working on fixing printer registration issues. Once he solves that, I believe he sends the sample PF off to the license holder for final approval. That should be the last step before he's ready for production. These things take time but he's doing an outstanding job from the images I've seen so far.

2 months later
#361 7 months ago

Arrived safely from Canada yesterday

Honestly after waiting for so many years, I never thought repro AS playfields would ever happen. Thank you so much Greg FantasticPinball for making this finally happen. Really pleased with the final product, looks beautiful with lots of fine details in the artwork. You’re going to make a lot of AS owners with blown out playfields happy!

Thanks again for all the hard work that went into making these Greg! Looking forward to your future products

IMG_4740.jpegIMG_4740.jpegIMG_4737.jpegIMG_4737.jpegIMG_4743.jpegIMG_4743.jpegIMG_4744.jpegIMG_4744.jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider HoakyPoaky.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/small-run-of-alien-star-playfields-?tu=HoakyPoaky and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.