(Topic ID: 115608)

Small nails used for the curved stainless steel side rail ball guides?

By 4Max

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 17 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by chad
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_1772.JPG
IMG_1769.JPG
DSC08770.JPG
DSC08395.JPG
#1 9 years ago

"Hoov" actually asked this within the EM seeking parts thread, but as I'm keen to know too, and there were no answers to date, thought I would give this its own thread:

"Has anyone sourced the small nails used for the curved stainless steel side rail ball guides on '60's GTB's?"

Or something similar?

Thanks!

#2 9 years ago

I never found a source but I was able to gently remove them from the wood part of the rail. They clean up nicely and look great with no damage.

#3 9 years ago

Hi Ray!

Unfortunately almost all of mins are missing, couple of make-shift bent nails have been used at some point.

Anyone found something at Michaels, HD, etc?

#4 9 years ago

McMaster Carr has spiral shank nails in stainless steel by one inch long. They are also used to fasten metal transition strips for flooring. Marcos also has some in stock.

#5 9 years ago

Just take a nail with the same girth and same shape of head and use a set of pliers to cut it down. That is what I did for my North Star. Worked perfect for me.

#6 9 years ago

Yes. Use that girth and nail it in.

#7 9 years ago

If I'm not mistaken, the nails Gottlieb used in this era were not spiraled.

You can find something that will work at most any hardware store and cut it down to length if needed. Finding a shiny plated finish will be the difficult part.

#8 9 years ago
Quoted from MikeO:

If I'm not mistaken, the nails Gottlieb used in this era were not spiraled.
You can find something that will work at most any hardware store and cut it down to length if needed. Finding a shiny plated finish will be the difficult part.

Not twist nails at all, correct.

I've found some brads that work ok, but the heads on them aren't big enough. I've looked for them all over and haven't had any luck with it.

Definitely have to cut them down. Anything an inch long will go through the rail and stick out the other side.

#9 9 years ago

This has been covered. Try using escutcheon pins. They work well, come in small sizes, and are available at any craft shop. The heads have a shine consistent to the rails, and appear identical. I install simply by using a pair of channel locks and just squeezing the nail into the existing hole. Use a splint to buffer the teeth on the tool to the outside of the wooden rail or you could end up with a dimple.

#10 9 years ago
Quoted from Boatcat:

This has been covered. Try using escutcheon pins. They work well, come in small sizes, and are available at any craft shop. The heads have a shine consistent to the rails, and appear identical. I install simply by using a pair of channel locks and just squeezing the nail into the existing hole. Use a splint to buffer the teeth on the tool to the outside of the wooden rail or you could end up with a dimple.

Cool, because I'm going to be restoring a Drop A Card and I'll need some. Thanks for the tip!!!!

#11 9 years ago

Here's a link to some images of these escutcheon pins:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_pg_1

#12 9 years ago
Quoted from hoov:

Here's a link to some images of these escutcheon pins:
amazon.com link »

LOL, dang, guess I didn't look very hard after all. Thanks for the link Dave.

#13 9 years ago
Quoted from EMsInKC:

Cool, because I'm going to be restoring a Drop A Card and I'll need some. Thanks for the tip!!!!

Escutcheon pins won't help you with DAC. It is a 70's game and the metal ball guides are held on with twist nails. Invariably you will bend the guide some to get it off. Just hammer it back flat and then polish it. If you are careful you can reuse the twist nails. This is the approach I take with most of my 70's Gottlieb games with the metal lane guides. While I'm at it I also sand and clear the wood side rails to really dress them up. It really makes the overall presentation pop.

Here are a couple of pictures of games where I pulled the metal guides and refinished the side rails.

DSC08770.JPGDSC08770.JPG

DSC08395.JPGDSC08395.JPG

#14 9 years ago

Thanks for all the advice. In case others are interested, I ended up buying these from Michaels and cutting down to size with pliers - work well (sit flush) and looks good.
IMG_1769.JPGIMG_1769.JPG

#15 9 years ago
Quoted from 4Max:

Thanks for all the advice. In case others are interested, I ended up buying these from Michaels and cutting down to size with pliers - work well (sit flush) and looks good.

IMG_1769.JPG 15 KB

Thumbs up! Good choice! You kept it simple.

#16 9 years ago

Well I spoke (posted) too soon - those pins form Michael are too thin for existing holes.

But these from HD, cut again with pliers, worked well

IMG_1772.JPGIMG_1772.JPG

#17 9 years ago

Called star nails at least on Pool tables

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet Parts
Space Coast Pinball

900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Murrells Inlet, SC

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/small-nails-used-for-the-curved-stainless-steel-side-rail-ball-guides and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.