Topic Stats

• 7 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by undrdog
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

#1 2 years ago

My other hobby is small metal art.

I’m using a jeweler’s torch oxy acetylene and working on small steel rod - from 1/16” to 1/8”. This is the rod from welding stores that is steel with a bright copper looking coating.

For flux I’m using stay-silv, with safety-silv 1/16” brazing alloy.

What is the best way to clean off the flux w/o damaging the piece right by the joint? Once that is clean, do I need to paint or clear coat the joint to keep it from rusting or is the joint good to go?

Link to something I made years ago, I’m just now getting back into it:

#2 2 years ago

I can't with any confidence answer your question but I'm sure glad I looked at it!
Mike.

#3 2 years ago

I don’t know the answer for your question.

The ramp thing in the video is fun. Reminds me of the clip from Sesame Street.

#5 2 years ago

That doesn’t work for the home hobbyist. Hopefully, someone with experience doing this stuff is on here and can add input.

#6 2 years ago

How about ask the flux manufacturer?

#7 2 years ago

Yup. Had that same thought. Got busy at work.

Got some good info from that article, where it said if the flux turns black the metal was too hot. Good to know.

I’m totally self taught, so my knowledge can be lacking. Back when I first got into it, I asked a lot of questions at the welding supply shop, but those folks are sales, not welders. And so far I haven’t found anyone working on teensy joints on steel. The folks doing real small stuff are jewelers working on silver and gold.

Could back down a notch and use nonelectrical solder, but I think brazing is stronger. And there is still flux in the solder.

Hum… maybe there's a jewelry class I could take that works with steel… you see steel rings for sale out at the art festivals.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/small-metal-brazing-question and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.