IMG_0555 (resized).JPG
IMG_0554 (resized).JPG
IMG_0553 (resized).JPG
Pinball (resized).png
Capture1 (resized).PNG
Capture (resized).PNG
bonus1 (resized).jpg
#1 5 years ago

Not a biggy but it is bloody annoying me.Machine works fine although , i believe when the ball hits the kickers , either top or bottom ,the " Advance Right bonus" and the " Advance left bonus " are supposed to toggle. Mine does not. I can normally nut things out but this one has got me stumped.
If someone could point me i the I would be greatly appreciative.

bonus1 (resized).jpgbonus1 (resized).jpg

#2 5 years ago

I believe this is driven by the change relay which is triggered by a switch on the match unit.

#3 5 years ago

Most likely there is an alternating/change relay somewhere in the machine which would control it. If you have a schematic, you can identify it and check it for dirty contacts/ gummed up, etc.

#4 5 years ago

Match unit, is a small one, difficult to get working properly.
Should be a contact on it with on/off function for "chance relay".
Look for the instructions manual on ipdb.org

#5 5 years ago

Match unit is in the upper middle of the backbox. Often stuck.

#6 5 years ago

It is indeed a M/B on the Change relay (sw C)

Capture (resized).PNGCapture (resized).PNG

#7 5 years ago

This relay is under the playfield all the way towards the back when lifted. So under that left sling by the top saucer.

#8 5 years ago

Thanks Guys, I have been looking for the " Change Relay" Is that the Alternating Relay? ( saying out loud sounds obvious though).
I will look under the hood later on today and report back ...Cheers

#9 5 years ago
Quoted from Aulantern:

Thanks Guys, I have been looking for the " Change Relay" Is that the Alternating Relay? ( saying out loud sounds obvious though).
I will look under the hood later on today and report back ...Cheers

Yes. Alternating relay sounds right.

#10 5 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Alternating relay sounds right.

Nope. Change is Change.

Capture1 (resized).PNGCapture1 (resized).PNG
#11 5 years ago

Sorry I missed your post from before. You’re right. The change relay is where I would start.

#12 5 years ago
Quoted from Aulantern:

I have been looking for the " Change Relay"

Could be under the PF

#13 5 years ago

Update!
Buzzed out the Change and Alternating Relay..All fine. Gave them a clean for good measure though.
Moved up to the No. Match Unit. I could see the switch was not adjusted correctly. Cleaned and adjusted it .....Adjusting that S.O.B took a while.
So.. if i Activate the switch the Advance lights toggle... Now we are talking!
Time to test.. I see the Mech. does not increment . On closer inspection the little spring on the "C" shaped plastic which meshes with the gear has a broken spring..Crap!
I have managed to get it going.( sort of) with a soft spring and a cable tie..I know ..I know ..but it works.
Will have to replace the Mech I think as there is a bit of slack on the shafts plus I would like to fix it proper.
If anyone has such a beasty out there please contact me.
Thanks Guys for all your help.

#14 5 years ago

Sorry Guys but another issue has reared it ugly head...How about this one

- Start a game ..All good, Ball #1 play away , It drains
- Ball # 2 Play away ball drains . It wont advance to Ball #3

I pop the bonnet and simulate it e.g press bumper then out hole . It increments Ball #1 to ball #5 then Game Over.

What the Hell!.

Now , If I Advance the right Bonus during Ball #2 and let it drain the ball just sits in the out hole and does not fire.
Only on ball #2 though. Balls #1,3,4,5 ...all good
I can can simulate this and it fails every time.
Any clues on where I should be looking would be greatly appreciated.

#15 5 years ago
Quoted from Aulantern:

It wont advance to Ball #3

If the Ball Count Unit Stepup solenoid doesn't fire, start by inspecting and diagnosing this circuit with Alligator clip jumper wires
http://www.planetimming.com/Pinball/troubleshooting/EM%20Troubleshooting.pdf
http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index3.htm#features

Pinball (resized).pngPinball (resized).png
#17 5 years ago

Cheers HowardR . I will do . If I manually trip the outhole relay , whist in error. It will fire. I am wonder what the connection is between the Right bonus and not kicking the ball from #2 to #3.

#18 5 years ago

On both "Advance Left Bonus" and "Advance Right Bonus" you have a switch.
Those switches have 3 blades
None of them should be in contact at rest.
Otherwise, the pin has no ways to determine which side "left/right' is selected by the top slingshot and both sides get bonus advance at the same time.

(See pictures)

IMG_0553 (resized).JPGIMG_0553 (resized).JPGIMG_0554 (resized).JPGIMG_0554 (resized).JPGIMG_0555 (resized).JPGIMG_0555 (resized).JPG
#19 5 years ago

Thanks for the pics . I went and checked them they are all good

#20 5 years ago

Update.... Madness is starting to set in.
I noticed the right Bonus unit was not indexing backward properly. On closer inspection the top tooth was not meshing properly and jumping. That's fine.. I increased the spring tension operated it manually , working ok . Fire it up , is now decreasing. NOW.. when the ball is in the Right bonus hole. It decreased,( the lights move down) but no score is being added, as per the left bonus.
Here is the Kicker , ( excuse the pun). the ball count , increases as per the outhole. just before the bloody right bonus kicks out. ( ball#1 to Ball #2 etc..)
What the friggin hell!..But hey the original problem is not there anymore. Off the fridge to get a beer.after 6 hours.. i reckon I deserve one ..
I can send pics or provide any other information ... This thing is whipping me hard!!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 24.98
Hardware
Gameroom Mods

1,650 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Lincoln Park, NJ
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 12.00

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/small-issue-with-williams-gran-prix and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.