Topic Stats

• 18 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by toyotaboy
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 7 years ago

When I first saw Safe Cracker in person I was amused by the cuteness of its size. While I didn't really warm up to the game itself when playing it, I was amazed by the amount of stuff they managed to cram into the little fella.

Why do you think small pins like these didn't go mainstream? Regular size pinballs eat a lot of real estate so I believe any business / bar with limited space could profit from a machine that doesn't require much room.

#2 7 years ago

Love my SC. Definitely different, that's one aspect that makes it special.

#3 7 years ago

Correct me if I am wrong, but can only think of 4 undersized pins.

Gotlieb's Super Mario Mushroom World which was a redemption game. Alvin G's Punchy the Clown, also a redemption game. Sega's Mini Viper which only saw 1 prototype. Then there is of course safe cracker.

Viper was made to 1950's cabinet dimensions because operators wanted something smaller. Then did poorly when shown so was never made. This was 90's sega and the software was copied from twister which is not a great game to begin with.

Alvin G only made 103 punchy's, but then they were never ever able to sell much of anything so wouldn't use that as a barometer.

That leaves Gottlieb and B/W. Safecracker sold 1100 in 96. This is just as Arcade's really start to die off and operators stopped buying. Mushroom world however only sold 519 during 92. This is the height of Mario and Arcade's were booming, still only 500 units. The game is better than you would think too.

#4 7 years ago

They all suck which is why they didn't go mainstream. Gottlieb was putting out "small" street line pins in the early 90s and nobody wanted them because why buy some half-ass pin when you can get a Whirlwind, T2, or Funhouse from Williams? Why put money in a safecracker or Punchy the Clown when you can play a real game?

#5 7 years ago
Quoted from dung:

Correct me if I am wrong, but can only think of 4 undersized pins.
Gotlieb's Super Mario Mushroom World which was a redemption game. Alvin G's Punchy the Clown, also a redemption game. Sega's Mini Viper which only saw 1 prototype. Then there is of course safe cracker.
Viper was made to 1950's cabinet dimensions because operators wanted something smaller. Then did poorly when shown so was never made. This was 90's sega and the software was copied from twister which is not a great game to begin with.
Alvin G only made 103 punchy's, but then they were never ever able to sell much of anything so wouldn't use that as a barometer.
That leaves Gottlieb and B/W. Safecracker sold 1100 in 96.

Thanks for the insight, I wasn't aware of any other smaller scale pins.
Punchy looks scary, but then again, I don't like clowns to begin with.
Mini Viper appears that something is missing. Looks so empty compared to Safe Cracker.
Has SC's production run been cut short or didn't it sell very well?

#6 7 years ago

Gottlieb also made a few tiny "plunger" games, but no flippers (Nudge It, Bell Ringer, etc.)

#7 7 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

They all suck which is why they didn't go mainstream. Gottlieb was putting out "small" street line pins in the early 90s and nobody wanted them because why buy some half-ass pin when you can get a Whirlwind, T2, or Funhouse from Williams? Why put money in a safecracker or Punchy the Clown when you can play a real game?

I see your point, but are smaller games generally regarded to be "lesser" games by the public? SC may be smaller in size, but not in features IMHO.

#8 7 years ago

Cactus Jack's is a smaller game I believe.

#9 7 years ago

Small form factor? I'd say any Zizzle machine should qualify.

#10 7 years ago
Quoted from Pahuffman:

Cactus Jack's is a smaller game I believe.

Just watched TNT's video, it appears the head is a couple of inches less wide but the rest of pretty standard size.

Quoted from KenLayton:

Small form factor? I'd say any Zizzle machine should qualify.

They look pretty flimsy and made for kids' bedrooms. I was referring to commercial grade machines.

#11 7 years ago

dupe

#12 7 years ago

I've never thought of SC as any less enjoyable than a full size pin. On the contrary, plays just as well as full size, and is arguably more fun than most. As pointed out, it's also packed, having just as many features as its bigger brothers. I'm surprised how heavy the playfield is every time I lift it and always admire the density of features on the underside.

My question is, are any of those other small pins as good as SC? I've heard Mushroom World is a winner. Any SC fans that have played MW care to chime in?

#13 7 years ago

Baby Pacman has a small playfield.

What about the cocktail pinball machines from Game Plan and Allied Leisure? Those have small playfields.

#14 7 years ago
Quoted from KenLayton:

What about the cocktail pinball machines from Game Plan and Allied Leisure? Those have small playfields.

Just did a search on those. Wow, so much stuff I haven't seen in person! Appears that operators in Germany mostly purchased regular machines.

3 weeks later
#15 7 years ago
Quoted from KenLayton:

I have a Star Shooter that I love! I think cocktail pins are totally overrated. May be picking up a Foxy Lady soon too. Parts can be a bother. Going to probably wait several month for a new MPU for the Foxy.

#16 7 years ago
Quoted from KenLayton:

Granny and the Gators

#17 7 years ago

Cocktail pins are underrated*. Not overrated lol. My bad.

#18 7 years ago

I don't know that safecracker saved THAT much room (maybe if you had a row of 10 safecracker sized pins, you could fit in an extra). I do wonder about a short playfield (like a cocktail table, but not as wide.. same 20.25" width).

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

8,999 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Montréal, QC
$ 79.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

9,999 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Royal Oak, MI
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Richfield, MI
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/small-form-factor-pins?hl=slcpunk2113 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.