(Topic ID: 227112)

Small collections (3-5) What games do you have?

By mr9865

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 74 posts
  • 63 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 days ago by DanMarino
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DE285E03-1E60-49E1-997B-40C92DF8A0F2 (resized).jpeg
    98CDA151-E306-4EDB-BD5B-9DFD42348CEA (resized).jpeg
    5448a27a3f48ed902e9bc74a321193225cf55de8 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20181216_160828 (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpeg
    20181209_174317 (resized).jpg
    20181118_165828 (1) (resized).jpg
    C1A3D874-A1F7-45D4-8CC6-1C442B150B33 (resized).jpeg
    20181215_162936 (resized).jpg
    20181012_155207 (resized).jpg
    20180914_141418(0) (resized).jpg
    thumb_IMG_0754_1024 (resized).jpg
    thumb_IMG_0755_1024 (resized).jpg
    4E22E2C9-6BF3-4872-8B11-0F2C15D32C9E (resized).jpeg
    20180823_232549 (resized).jpg
    20181011_191112 (resized).jpg
    There are 74 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 5 years ago

I upgraded to a better job that will allow me to buy a pin or two. No more playing busted up games on location! Just wondering how others cope with limited budget / space.

• What games do you have?

• Do you keep a small collection due to space, financial reasons?

• How often do you rotate games out?

• Is your collection already perfect?

#2 5 years ago

Revenge From Mars
    Maverick
    Secret Service
    Fish Tales
    Cue Ball Wizard

I have room to comfortably fit a single row of 6 games. I rotate on average one every two years, I would guess. RFM and Fish Tales are two of my grail games, that are not going anywhere any time soon. Goldeneye is my third grail which I hope to someday own. House and car expenses are currently keeping me out of the market though.

#3 5 years ago

TFLE
    GOTLE
    METLE
    AV Pro
    AC/DC Prem
    TronLE

I love my collection right now. I'm limited to space but I feel like I've got a good mix of rules and shot layouts. I have space for 2 more but I'm waiting till I can find 2 nice EM's to put in those spots. I do like the bally/Williams pins but for some reason I just enjoy the Sterns more thus the collection. I rarely rotate games out but I do when I need something new. I'm actually in that consideration right now. Been debating on selling my Avengers to grab an Iron Maiden or maybe giving up 1 EM slot for the maiden and selling Avengers for Deadpool.

My suggestion is to mix the layouts and rules up. You don't want all fan layouts nor do you want all long playing games. Having a mix helps keep things fresher, IMHO.

#4 5 years ago

Well I have six. One more than you said but I figured it was close enough.

1. I have a Tron LE, GotG LE, WOZ ECLE, original restored MM, original restored MB, and a AFM r LE.

2. Small collection because after having 30 games, I realized the money sitting was better utilized for a family beach condo. Much more enjoyment having a summer place to enjoy with the wife and kids. We still have games to play and have fun with but I believe you really don't need an enormous collection.

3. I like the lineup and it has stayed the same since I sold 80% of my collection and bought the condo. I did add the AFM r LE and the GotG LE so my ideal collection of 4 turned into 6 without anything going out the door.

4. The kids and I like the collection. Something old, something new. Monsters, Aliens, a fun movie pin, a classic movie (that my girls enjoy) pin, a pin that immerses you like no other so you feel like you are on the grid, and a comical castle bashing pin that has dragons and damsels - something for everyone.

#5 5 years ago

LotR
    AFMrLE
    TZ
    TNA (On the way)

Limited by space to four machines. Still new to the hobby so four is plenty for now anyway
    I really like the mix of play styles, but will probably swap out AFMr or TZ for something more modern soon.

#6 5 years ago

To me it is a space issue. I can only fit 7 games into my gameroom. Currently I decided to buy pinball machines based on my favorite pinball designers. My rule is one designer per game in my little collection. In this way, no game will feel the same in my collection. I normally buy or sell a pinball machine in every 8 to 12 months. I am happy with my collection but it is far from perfect.
    My games
    BSD, TSPP, NBAFB, TZ, CFTBL, AFM and Ironman.

#7 5 years ago

I have 14 games but only have 4 games at my home due to space. They are probably my 4 top or close to it.

TronLE
    MET Pre
    ACDC LE
    STLE

I have love the mix. If I was going to move anything it would be the ACDC as it is great looking machine but not my favorite. I would probably replace it with my Iron Maiden if I decided to change anything. But I think the mix above is pretty solid for 4 games

#8 5 years ago

I can fit six machines perfectly, I can get up to 9 if I don't mind the room being cramped. I am super budget conscious so my machines are older, the two pinball leagues I belong to give me my fill of six-grand machines.

Waterworld
    Cue Ball Wizard
    Gold Wings
    Fun Land
    Astro
    Royal Flush
    Plus a pitch and bat machine

#9 5 years ago

For me it is just a matter of room, I can afford lots more but there is just nowhere to put them for now. I started out not long ago so I have kept the investments small so far, the 2 EMs probably cost less combined than some people spend on a single topper. I have kept the first 3 I bought so far, I like all 3 of them so I would foresee keeping them and adding more some time down the line when I can figure out the space issue versus rotating them.

Theoretically there is fairly decent space for one more there, so I might add one sometime soon. Probably a modern machine, most likely Metallica although if the right Tron showed up I might go for it.

SnS MC BV 1 (resized).jpgSnS MC BV 1 (resized).jpg

#10 5 years ago

I’ve owned many pins and as other have suggested in this thread, balance is everything. If you build the right collection of 3-5, you will have them for years. Pick one of the below from each class, no particular order and you will have a balanced collection.

Fan Layout - Fast & fun
    ACDC Premium
    Metallica Premium
    Kiss Pro
    Star Trek Pro

Complexity - Life is about the journey
    LOTR
    WOZLE
    TWD

Loops - I love loop shots!
    Shadow
    Getaway
    Iron Maiden

Adrenaline - One more game
    Iron Man
    BSD
    Tron

Classic - In order to appreciate the present, you must understand the past.
    Black Knight 2000
    Eight Ball Deluxe
    Whirlwind

#11 5 years ago

space for 4.. 2 keepers.. usually 2 that cycle through.

TSPP and TFTC are staying. Got a JD coming soon. Hopefully a munsters or monsterbash. Hope to get to 3 keepers and 1 that rotates.

With a limited collection you really have to think and decide what stays and goes and what mix if games you have. Also for me, whatever the guests like usually influences which games I have.

#12 5 years ago

was at a limit of 3 however ....Capcom Pinball magic
    Capcom Airbourne
    Space Invaders
    Banzai Run
    Houdini
    getting to old and tired to move these around anymore!

oh and I have Boats Judge Dredd for a shop job

#13 5 years ago

I've got more, but I'm limited to 5 in my "playroom" so I'll list those: Safe Cracker, Star Trek Premium, Ghostbusters Premium, LoTR, and X Files.

#14 5 years ago

I only have two games: AFMr LE and MMr.

#15 5 years ago

MMr
    ST Prem
    GB Prem
    GotG Prem

I've almost owned my first game for a year. Thankfully space and finances aren't limiting factors...just a reality-checking conscience that says "you're buying $7k toys"!! I can't imagine getting rid of anything yet. If I were to get another one, it would be an addition...not a replacement.

#16 5 years ago
    Quoted from thedarkknight77:

I’ve owned many pins and as other have suggested in this thread, balance is everything.

I like this thought, it's the pinball version of Cramer's investing portfolio question "Am I diversified?" Fun to play with pinball too: you need more flow in your collection, you could use a more complex game...

#17 5 years ago

Only have room for two.
    TSPP & TOTAN

#18 5 years ago
    Quoted from thedarkknight77:

I’ve owned many pins and as other have suggested in this thread, balance is everything. If you build the right collection of 3-5, you will have them for years. Pick one of the below from each class, no particular order and you will have a balanced collection.
    Fan Layout - Fast & fun
    ACDC Premium
    Metallica Premium
    Kiss Pro
    Star Trek Pro
    Complexity - Life is about the journey
    LOTR
    WOZLE
    TWD
    Loops - I love loop shots!
    Shadow
    Getaway
    Iron Maiden
    Adrenaline - One more game
    Iron Man
    BSD
    Tron
    Classic - In order to appreciate the present, you must understand the past.
    Black Knight 2000
    Eight Ball Deluxe
    Whirlwind

All really great games! In my head I have been considereing The Shadow, Eight Ball, Bk2K, Star Trek Pro, & Maiden

#19 5 years ago
    Quoted from Matesamo:

I can fit six machines perfectly, I can get up to 9 if I don't mind the room being cramped. I am super budget conscious so my machines are older, the two pinball leagues I belong to give me my fill of six-grand machines.
    Waterworld
    Cue Ball Wizard
    Gold Wings
    Fun Land
    Astro
    Royal Flush
    Plus a pitch and bat machine

Good idea, I am in a League as well which lets my have access to a lot of games I could never afford.

#20 5 years ago

I'm a budget collector, and games are going up in price, so most of my games are older. Start with an older game and trade up later, its a much more rewarding experience IMHO.

#aztec
    Grand Prix
    Strikes and Spares
    Sorcerer
    Taxi
    Earthshaker

I do want a DMD game to balance the collection out, for sure. But the problem is as DMDs increasingly go for $3K or more, I'm starting to think I should just get a new stern.

#21 5 years ago
    Quoted from mr9865:

Good idea, I am in a League as well which lets my have access to a lot of games I could never afford.

I would be hard pressed to buy a new Stern or Jersey Jack when we could have a weeklong Disney family vacation instead. If you learn to fix up projects you can make some money to pay for the better machines, my entire collection has cost me zero out of pocket due to buying lots and fixing them up and selling them. I guess I could sell them all and buy a marque machine but I like having some variety for get togethers and such.

#22 5 years ago
    Quoted from mr9865:

I upgraded to a better job that will allow me to buy a pin or two. No more playing busted up games on location! Just wondering how others cope with limited budget / space.
    • What games do you have?
    • Do you keep a small collection due to space, financial reasons?
    • How often do you rotate games out?
    • Is your collection already perfect?

I gravitate and enjoy modern pins more than the classics and typically try to keep at least one rotatable pin as i get Pinball OCD/depression/boredom easy. Current lineup:

SW PRO
    ACDC PRO
    IMDN PRO

My new gameroom can probably fit 4 comfortably, 5 if I push the limit. SW and ACDC are ‘keepers’ for me. IMDN will be my rotator if I find any cool trades out there. My plan for next year is to add WOZ and JJPOTC.

Flexibility and diversibility are key; but more importantly these days, last ability is important. I take bigger hits that I used to from playing the buy/sell/buy game so I look for games that can remain bolted to the floor longer than usual. For me personally, SW and ACDC offer this; I believe WOZ and JJPOTC will as well, but their price of admission has me skeptical.

#23 5 years ago

I have 4 at the moment, but in having 4 I realize I can only fit 3. Also I'm a little uncomfortable having so much money tied up in these games. Makes me nervous if all of a sudden they decided to disintegrate into nothing.

2 are long term keepers as of right now. I have had both over a year and don't see them going anywhere soon:
    GoT Pro
    Met Pro

2 are good games that I like, but looking to move on from for one more long term keeper:
    ToM
    Judge Dredd

#24 5 years ago

I only had room for one in my place but got rid of my kitchen table so now I have 3!

Btw, you can probably see which is currently my favorite...

IMG_0101 (resized).JPGIMG_0101 (resized).JPG
    #25 5 years ago
    Quoted from JJHLH:

I only have two games: AFMr LE and MMr.

you mean one game! Almost the same game, but both fantastic!

#26 5 years ago

Who needs a kitchen table anyway?

20181011_191112 (resized).jpg20181011_191112 (resized).jpg
    #27 5 years ago

Budget collector here for the most part. I'm wanting to add a few more games in the future. I tend to lean to the 90's games as being my biggest wants, along with a few from the early 2000's. Almost all of my games came in as projects, except for Phantom of the Opera that I got off a fellow pinsider. I prefer projects as I enjoy working on the pins more than playing them at times.
    Currently I have:

Jurassic Park - First game, not going anywhere
    Phantom of the Opera - Love the Art and Music
    Flight 2000 - Needs restoration, re-controlling with MyPinballs custom pinball controller boardset currently
    Space Invaders - large project still underway, sat in a wet garage for 20+ years so its taking some time to bring back

I have space for more currently, but I'm building a new house right now so no growth for a while due to funds.
    Once I'm in the new place I should have room for ~10 games without upsetting the wife.

#28 5 years ago

Mostly a budget collector, but we did splurge on a brand new one this year.
    My lineup:
    Cross Town
    Black hole
    Joker Poker
    Rocky and Bullwinkle
    Guardians of the Galaxy
    Dealers Choice.
    Black Hole is almost working, and dealers Choice is in a complete teardown currently. I might could fit 2 more in, if I move the arcade's to another room.

#29 5 years ago

Monster Bash
    LOTR LE
    TWD LE

Who knows what may come home tomorrow though if I head to York

#30 5 years ago

I have 4 projects currently in different places I work at when I get a chance.
    Two games setup and playing in my collection: Night Moves and Baby Pac-Man! Baby Pac-Man is one of the hardest games I've played and it has a HUGE "One more game!" factor that makes it a permanent game. NM offers a space-saving pinball fix!

I'm looking to round it out right now with a fullsize but I'm maxed on space so I'm redoing the basement to add more pinball area and consolidate the other junk.
    Pinball is the ultimate incentive for house chores! Clean the basement Gain more pinspace!

#31 5 years ago

These.

20180823_232549 (resized).jpg20180823_232549 (resized).jpg

#32 5 years ago

I have GBPre, NGG, Grand Lizard, and I’m babysitting a Meteor. I’d like to get another EM (my Hi-Deal is a Project) so that I have a mix of all the eras. But I’m also really becoming a fan of SS pins.

#33 5 years ago

Twilight Zone, Metallica, Pinbot, and a The Walking Dead on the way. Metallica will probably go soon. I can fit four perfectly in my space, but could maybe do 5 or 6 if I ditch my arcade cab. The dart board is not going away to make room for another pin haha. This was a trade off we made when we found our new house last year. I had all my stuff in the garage at the old house and wanted a climate controlled space. We have that now and it has worked out great. I sold most all of my 15+ arcade games and refreshed the pin lineup and now its in the house!

I like what some of the others have said about having a nice mix of games. I may swap out pinbot, but only if a good early solid state game pops up to take its place.

#34 5 years ago
    4E22E2C9-6BF3-4872-8B11-0F2C15D32C9E (resized).jpeg4E22E2C9-6BF3-4872-8B11-0F2C15D32C9E (resized).jpeg
    #35 5 years ago

Unless you do EMs - a “small” collection still has 10-20k tied up in it. More if you newer LEs.

Here’s my take:
    Don’t buy newer Sterns because that is what is most likely to be on route. Even if you don’t play on route much.
    Don’t buy LEs or JJP as the price point is just too high
    DO buy some great relatively cheap titles that have proven the test of time: JP, T2, ES, WW, BSD, taxi, diner, etc
    1 keeper and 2 rotating slots
    Buy stuff that needs some work. Even if it’s just a shop job.
    Expect to lose money when you sell.
    This is a buyers market. Find a pin that has been sitting for 5 or more days and make an offer.

#36 5 years ago

My Collection: The Addams Family, Centaur, and Silverball Mania. I am always on the lookout for a project TZ or SafeCracker to add. My wishlist if completed would have me at around 20 games. I just wish I had the room for them.

#37 5 years ago

I have half the same collection.

4 games: SMVE, MET pro, WH2O & WW.

Space & financial reasons limit the current collection however I could squeeze in a 5th (EM most likely, I've been watching for a Zale zipper flipper).

I haven't rotated one out yet. Picked up the White Water which was near project condition and rehabbed it. Currently have Whirlwind completely torn apart awaiting a Mirco playfield.

It's not a perfect collection, I'd love an AFM, JD, XMLE, and/or/plus a new wing on the house. However, I'm satisfied with what I currently have.

#38 5 years ago

AFMr le, Wh20, 81 EBD, Fathom
    Have room for 5 or 6 most but plan on moving to Florida next year so I downsized. Plan on having a nice out building man cave with a couple more machines maybe 10 a few newer Sterns and maybe 1 old Stern maybe 1 more B/W. The 4 I have now are all pretty nice restored cc PF not HEP but sweet and never leaving.

#39 5 years ago
    Quoted from Richthofen:

I'm a budget collector, and games are going up in price, so most of my games are older. Start with an older game and trade up later, its a much more rewarding experience IMHO.
    Aztec
    Grand Prix
    Strikes and Spares
    Sorcerer
    Taxi
    Earthshaker
    I do want a DMD game to balance the collection out, for sure. But the problem is as DMDs increasingly go for $3K or more, I'm starting to think I should just get a new stern.

I have several DMDs that are under $3K and can be found for half that.

#40 5 years ago

Met prem, afmr le, and woz rr. Would like more but wife has put halt to it.

#41 5 years ago

I have a 5 game lineup but can move to 6 if I sell my need for speed driver arcade. Hobbit, Sw Prem,AFMrLE,IMDNpro,Metallica pro but selling this and replacing with a DI LE.

#42 5 years ago

Eight Ball Deluxe, Mata Hari, World Fair and a Midway Space Invaders.

thumb_IMG_0754_1024 (resized).jpgthumb_IMG_0754_1024 (resized).jpgthumb_IMG_0755_1024 (resized).jpgthumb_IMG_0755_1024 (resized).jpg
    #43 5 years ago

Space and budget conscious; so I buy low and fix them up. Currently own Earthshaker and Fish Tales, also have an F-14 I'm shopping for a friend.

20180914_141418(0) (resized).jpg20180914_141418(0) (resized).jpg20181012_155207 (resized).jpg20181012_155207 (resized).jpg
    #44 5 years ago

I had 17 games in 2017. I sold off 15 to finance the finish of a mountain home. I since have added a few to round out to 6. I have been in the hobby since 2004 and I have owned about 50 games. I decided to have a collection of half a dozen of my favorites. I am parcel to WPC-95 games so my collection is now all WPC-95. I have a MM original Restored tastefully moded (Armor, Color DMD, Prosound ect...) , Cirqus Voltaire (HEP) restored Sample Game tastefully moded, Monster Bash unrestored low play tastefully moded, Scared Stiff unrestored original low play HUO tastefully moded, CCC unrestored low play, Champion Pub unrestored low play original. For me I have found that I need a well balanced machine. (nice artwork, awesome theme & call outs, great game play) I am not the best player by any means so I don't really need a deep difficult game. The one strange thing about me is I don't like tight line ups. I want to be able see the artwork on cabinets and have lots of room around the games. I can get 7 games in my lower game room, there are only 5 in there now.

#45 5 years ago

Start with one HUO newer Stern (there are plenty of fun ones) until you get more proficient at fixing and maintaining games. I started with a AF years ago, it kept having issues and I almost left the hobby in frustration as I did not know anything, even simple, then.
    If that is not an issue, some of the Bally/Williams are the best bang for your buck still (DM, WD, WCS, JD, Corvette....) and even some DE or Sega games (LAH is an amazing game, Golden Eye, Baywatch if has nice immamaculate legs).
    Most importantly do not forget this is not an investment. It is a very fantastic hobby and you are buying the games to have fun. On top you will meet some very nice peolple (and some not so, but they are far and few), that you would have otherwise not crossed path with.
    Enjoy!

#46 5 years ago
    Quoted from bonzo442:

AFMr le, Wh20, 81 EBD, Fathom
    Have room for 5 or 6 most but plan on moving to Florida next year so I downsized. Plan on having a nice out building man cave with a couple more machines maybe 10 a few newer Sterns and maybe 1 old Stern maybe 1 more B/W. The 4 I have now are all pretty nice restored cc PF not HEP but sweet and never leaving.

That is a sweeeet lineup of four.

#47 5 years ago

Currently have 3 at the moment:
    FT
    GOTG pro
    SM

Should be getting GB pro next week and IMDN pro the week after that or so. Wanted different layouts so it doesn't feel like playing the same game with a different theme. That will be it for awhile unless I swap one out down the line.

#48 5 years ago

my 5 pin collection:
    #metallica-le
    Bram Stoker's Dracula
    X-Men (LE)
    Blackout
    #Take Five (for holding beers!)

#49 5 years ago

Twilight Zone
    Tales of the Arabian Nights
    Creature from the Black Lagoon (WIP)
    The Addams Family (WIP)

I've got space for tens of games, but I don't think hoarding is good. I'm getting rid of CFTBL anyway, don't like it that much. There's only two reasons I'd keep a pin: a) I love playing it, b) it has some sentimental value. I keep TOTAN for the second reason as it's the game that got me into pinball. I wouldn't want my collection to exceed 5 games, servicing and maintaining 4 is already burdensome. Once I drop CFTBL I've got space for 2 more, wishing for MM and ToM. There are other great games out there, like CC, MB, or STTNG, but I don't like them that much as to necessarily have access to them 24/7.
    This one time though, I saw a guy in Holland selling one of Gene's Illinois Pinball BBB's for €32000 and I was really tempted to sell my collection and get it. Glad I didn't though.

#50 5 years ago
    Quoted from xsvtoys:

That is a sweeeet lineup of four.

Thank you! I really could be happy with just these 4....simple pure pinball

There are 74 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/small-collections-3-5-what-games-do-you-have?hl=dawezl and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.