(Topic ID: 188176)

Small Collection: Aerosmith Pro or GOT Pro?

By lowepg

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 62 posts
  • 37 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Who-Dey
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Better *PRO* choice:”

• GOT Pro 15 votes
    20%
  • AS Pro 31 votes
    41%
  • TWD Pro 30 votes
    39%

(76 votes)

There are 62 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 4 years ago

Had finally decided between TWD Pro and GOT Pro (in favor of GOT) and Aerosmith provides a new wrinkle

I picked GOT over TWD for its faster gameplay (for me), decent but less deep ruleset and slightly lower level of difficulty.

Given those parameters, how would you all compare AS into this decision?

#2 4 years ago

Thrones (as of now) is a lot deeper and more challenging. I like both games but Thrones would probably be my choice long term.

Both games will be long playing for good players. Aero is more newbie-friendly.

#3 4 years ago

I own GOT premium and have played a bunch on AS. I'd go GOT since it is a great game. GOT pro has great flow. AS didn't do it for me. The LCD with the cartoonish graphics looks dumb in my opinion. The gameplay is good good on both so you can't lose either way.

#4 4 years ago

I say get Aerosmith pro but i also like GOT pro but i hate artwork and it looks a bit empty with no toys almost. But, if it was the premium i would get it because i really like the artwork and the mini play field adds more stuff to the play field.

#5 4 years ago

Game of Thrones is a better game right now. I have a hard time seeing Aerosmith evolve to the point where it can catch it, to be honest. Aerosmith has better art, but Game of Thrones is much better in regards to gameplay.

Also, stick with pro on GoT. The premium isn't as good and it costs more.

#6 4 years ago

GoT pro is the way to go. Faster, better feel, better rules.

#7 4 years ago

Thanks.... I don't have a ton of plays on AS so appreciate the insight.....

I guess the other issue is- with GOT being more mature, might be more likely to find a HUO GOT vs having to go NIB from a distro as well...?

#8 4 years ago
Quoted from lowepg:

Thanks.... I don't have a ton of plays on AS so appreciate the insight.....
I guess the other issue is- with GOT being more mature, might be more likely to find a HUO GOT vs having to go NIB from a distro as well...?

Maybe, but don't expect any bargains. You might save 500 bucks on a pro if you are lucky, but probably not as almost all HUO games seem to have been loaded with mod junk so people expect more than they paid for it NIB. There have been a couple relative $1,000 savings bargains on LEs.

#9 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Maybe, but don't expect any bargains. You might save 500 bucks on a pro if you are lucky, but probably not as almost all HUO games seem to have been loaded with mod junk so people expect more than they paid for it NIB. There have been a couple relative $1,000 savings bargains on LEs.

I keep seeing HUO games listed above NIB value. It hurts my brain, man.

#10 4 years ago

NIB games you've got to worry about shipping damage, flaws, etc. With a pre-owned game you can see exactly what you're going to get

#11 4 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

NIB games you've got to worry about shipping damage, flaws, etc. With a pre-owned game you can see exactly what you're going to get

Yes, but nib should cost more than used, period.

Lately we see peopl trying to ride the stern price increase train. They bought got for 4200 nib, but they now sell for 5100. People are asking nib prices on used games. Makes me laugh.

#12 4 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

What man, you think Mirror Blades are free?!

#13 4 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

I've got a pre-owned Williams Darling I'll let for for $4K. Still cheaper than a NIB game and all the kinks are worked out!

#14 4 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

Yeah- I just scanned a few and noticed that....

There's SOME mods that are universally attractive (IMO) that Id do myself, and therefore add SOME value... but many of the others.....eh... just as easy to pick the ones I want then pay FULL RETAIL for the mods AND near NIB price on the machine!

(though, in full disclosure I did almost the same thing when I sold my cherry ACDC Premium.. but... uh.. thats a different topics)

#15 4 years ago

The only mods I'll pay for if buying a used machine are colorDMD and PDI glass. Otherwise you can keep your stinking mods.

#16 4 years ago

Aerosmith gets my vote. GOT is faster as there is very little on the game that interacts with the ball and that isn't a good thing in my opinion. Also the artwork doesn't represent anything from the show, it could be used for a generic castle / knights game.

GOT Pro

Photoshop artwork
Kickback mech
Physical ball lock
Plastic ramps
Mostly all plastic return rails (except for portion of right habit rail)
DMD
3 drop targets
Battering ramp toy

AS
Hand drawn artwork
Toy box toy with integrated 6 ball physical ball lock
Magnet in front of toy box
Kick out that launches ball to toy box
LCD
Metal ramps
Metal habit rails
Metal lane guides
Scoop on far left
Elevator scoop

AS Pro is easily the better value in my opinion.

#17 4 years ago

AS would be my choice for sure, hoping it will only get better with code updates but solid as it sits.

#18 4 years ago
Quoted from lowepg:

Had finally decided between TWD Pro and GOT Pro (in favor of GOT) and Aerosmith provides a new wrinkle
I picked GOT over TWD for its faster gameplay (for me), decent but less deep ruleset and slightly lower level of difficulty.
Given those parameters, how would you all compare AS into this decision?

Care to explain faster as that would help with giving some input. I find TWD as fast as I'd ever want a pin. GOT has the flow.

All are great pins. I'd prefer TWD over AS (same designer) in home use for its theme (theme is important to me), deeper and better code as well as great great gameplay. TWD is really immersive. I'd also prefer TWD over GOT for the same reasons (minus same designer). TWD is a hard pin and will have the shortest game times here. Home use is where hard pins, deep code, and shorter game times thrive in my experience.

I'd take GOT over AS as I like GOT's theme more (again, theme is important to me), I already have a Borg pin in TWD, and I would like some variety in a home pin collection. The added depth of the code (over AS), the different designer and programmer, as well as the flow all have appeal.

I'd take AS as a fun pin with the latest technology (LCD), beautiful art, and what appears to be reasonably deep and good game play. How much did you enjoy Kiss? As has been said many times before, AS is similar to Kiss (same designer and programmer, even similar coding backbone), but most consider AS just better all-around executed.

GL with your choice. Everyone has different preferences. I tried to explain what I'd choose and why. You could easily pick a different order than me just to get the variety in your collection that I mentioned.

I'd be happy to have all of them at home and deep dive them at some point.

#19 4 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

I'd argue that NIB is always better than used unless the savings is substantial. NIB Sterns have a 1 year warranty with free parts replacement. NIB pins come right to you, so no time spent searching, haggling, driving to pick up. Shipping damage is very rare and you can always refuse the shipment.

I vote Aerosmith. Better art, better sound, infinitely better display, better main feature and more fun.

#20 4 years ago

How many different ways can you play strategy wise on AS? GOT theres 6 different houses to choose from creating different strategies for each house. I like to check which house has lowest GC score and beat it, or pick Lannister to get most challenge, or pick Martell to really clean up score wise, or Greyjoy to steal Martell and go for it, or Stark to hit WHC high scores, or Baratheon to get to HOK fast, or Tyrell to use the inlane multiplyers. Does AS have any strategy besides how many balls to trap in Jacky?

EDIT: thanks for the downvote for asking a question. i do like AS just didnt seem to have much strategy thats why i asked.

#21 4 years ago
Quoted from NorCalRealtor:

I'd argue that NIB is always better than used unless the savings is substantial. NIB Sterns have a 1 year warranty with free parts replacement. NIB pins come right to you, so no time spent searching, haggling, driving to pick up. Shipping damage is very rare and you can always refuse the shipment.

I've never seen a nib game without issues, and who knows if Stern will think your issue is important enough to warranty.

My comment about used being better wasn't in regards to price, they should be cheaper too

#22 4 years ago

Played both yesterday at league and usually once a week.(both are next to each other by the way)

Neither theme does anything for me. I actually hate GOT and AS as a show and band.

GOT has good flow, lots of ways to approach it, and deep rules. yet I don't really like it that much.

I don't really care for AS's rules but I have more fun while playing it than GOT.

GOT is the better game at the moment but I enjoy AS more

+1 AS for me.

but honestly id rather have TWD so I'm no help

#23 4 years ago

I own both - Aerosmith would be my pick.

#24 4 years ago

I played a lot on both, AS is more fun. Never cared much for GOT.

#25 4 years ago

Right!!What Yoski said!!!

#26 4 years ago
Quoted from timtim:

Played both yesterday at league and usually once a week.(both are next to each other by the way)
Neither theme does anything for me. I actually hate GOT and AS as a show and band.
GOT has good flow, lots of ways to approach it, and deep rules. yet I don't really like it that much.
I don't really care for AS's rules but I have more fun while playing it than GOT.
GOT is the better game at the moment but I enjoy AS more
+1 AS for me.
but honestly id rather have TWD so I'm no help

This is post is hilarious and sums up all my conflicted thoughts too.

#27 4 years ago

I wanted to like GOT, because it's a dream theme for me and my wife. I had my heart set on the Premium, because, to me, the playfield artwork is so much better than the Pro/LE.

But after playing both the Premium and the Pro, I realized I don't like either one. In fairness, I liked the Pro slightly more than the Premium, but the stop and go nature of the right ramp (and the ball being stopped by the sword) killed it for me. There just aren't enough interesting shots on it for my liking (again focusing on the Pro). The dragon kickback and battering ram just aren't fun shots.

AS was simply more fun. I liked the shots, the layout, the overall package.

I'd like to get one someday, but my wife isn't a big fan of the theme or music (and I don't want another band/music themed pin right now).

Good luck with whatever you choose. Obviously there are a lot of folks who really like GOT Pro. I wanted to...but the shots didn't match my love for the code, theme, etc.

#28 4 years ago

Too much stop and go on Game of Thrones? That's a new one to me...

If you don't have to decide now, maybe wait and see how Aerosmith evolves. Who knows how much code support it will get? Even Ghostbusters, a very high selling game hasn't had great post-launch support. Game of Thrones is very complete, but Aerosmith could still use some attention. Wait it out if you can.

#29 4 years ago
Quoted from Pinballer22:

AS would be my choice for sure, hoping it will only get better with code updates but solid as it sits.

Code updates? I'm thinking AS is probably done. Everyone knows good code sells games, almost regardless of the theme (MET). And likewise, poor code kills sales (WWE and KISS). Stern has to understand this, but it doesn't fit into their business metric. I've learned to not expect anything more than what a game has for current code when I buy it. Unused inserts on the playfield don't mean a damn thing.

Rob

#30 4 years ago

I own all three and they are all great games but if I could only keep one it would be TWD easily. Tough choice between AS and GOT. I really all depends on what you're looking for also. If you like deep rules you should go with TWD or GOT, if you want more basic rules but still a super fun game then AS is a good choice.

#31 4 years ago

What about SM (in the mix)?

I was debating getting my second SM or AS or GoT pro ended up with SM (red) because AS was not out at the time and I'm not keen on the band, I really like GOT but have not played it enough to know (only the premium) so I got a SM by default, like it much and been playing it every day but I'd be curious what people think regarding SM vs the newer pro pins.

#32 4 years ago

I'd lean towards AS mostly because its just a fun game to play. GOT is a very good game, but is too deep and long playing for my taste. there's something to be said for keeping a game simple and fun (like monster bash). from a build quality stand point i feel AS is better also- the metal ramps, stock cliffy, better toys and LCD display. there is no question the art is far superior to GOT. Maybe i'd feel differently if I watched the series.

#33 4 years ago

GOT is an intense fast adventure of a game and AS is......it is just so friggin fun! Not just myself but a few long time pinhead friends of mine say AS is the most fun game they have played in years. I would say it could the honey moon stage for me with AS, but actually it usually takes a while for me to get into a game I just bought, so AS is the opposite. Code it pretty good now. I don't think there is to much more coming on it. Just plan for it not to for both games and then you won't have to drive yourself mad and bitch about it on Pinside.

I look at NIB AS with the LCD as $5200-$425 for a color DMD that would go on it vs. $5000, or whatever they go for, for GOT with regular dmd. I really like and buy color DMDs. Don't know if you are j to them. Just adding that angle. Love the LCD on AS.

I would get the newly released pin with an LCD and have fun on it like my friends and myself are having. That being said GOT is really good also. No losers here.

#34 4 years ago

As I read these comments, let me add this insight:
I have TSPP and MB.
While I recognize TSPP is one of Sterns best pins (in its time), I always gravitate to MB for the simple, just FUN of playing.
Now, TSPP is pretty damn deep (not sure how to compare rules depth to TWD/GOT), but it sounds like AS is far closer to MB and GOT closer to TSPP from a depth standpoint? Or have I oversimplified?

#35 4 years ago
Quoted from lowepg:

As I read these comments, let me add this insight:
I have TSPP and MB.
While I recognize TSPP is one of Sterns best pins (in its time), I always gravitate to MB for the simple, just FUN of playing.
Now, TSPP is pretty damn deep (not sure how to compare rules depth to TWD/GOT), but it sounds like AS is far closer to MB and GOT closer to TSPP from a depth standpoint? Or have I oversimplified?

My two cents. Both TSPP and MB are longer playing games which seems to appeal to you. I'd suggest considering if you want another longer playing game (AS and GOT) or do you want to add in some variety and get a shorter playing game (TWD). For the longer playing pin considerations (compared to TWD), I think both GOT and AS are good examples of fun pins too. Since MB is a much simpler game than TSPP and you enjoy MB more, AS's simplicity over GOT may give it the edge. Borg designs fun pins.

GL on all these great options.

#36 4 years ago

Okay, bring on he downvotes since this was not part of the original question but I'm telling you folks that xmle is a friggin steal at just slightly more by a couple hundred bucks. I'm new to the xmle club but it is an amazing pin for the for the price. That said, all 3 title being discussed are squarely in my radar.

#37 4 years ago

AS all day long. A blast to play and easy on the eyes.

#38 4 years ago

Aerosmith is a wild card to me. I like it, I wasn't expecting to.
The theme is good, but not great, to me. The presentation kicks ass. Pinball is moving forward in design. We are heading in an amazing direction for pinball now I think. I love this hobby. So many aspects to it and we just all love playing. I'm here to stay.

#39 4 years ago

I own both, and if you held my hand to the fire, I'd keep GOT. I love AS and its fun as hell, but GOT just gives you so many ways to attack it, so more of a long term keeper.

#40 4 years ago

Well, I'm actually selling BOTH to make room for some new titles.... lol... maybe the answer is to get both

Quoted from dzoomer:My two cents. Both TSPP and MB are longer playing games which seems to appeal to you. I'd suggest considering if you want another longer playing game (AS and GOT) or do you want to add in some variety and get a shorter playing game (TWD). For the longer playing pin considerations (compared to TWD), I think both GOT and AS are good examples of fun pins too. Since MB is a much simpler game than TSPP and you enjoy MB more, AS's simplicity over GOT may give it the edge. Borg designs fun pins.
GL on all these great options.

#41 4 years ago

For a simple but very fun playing pin that I want to add to my collection, I'm looking at TNA . It really looks great and it's on my list to watch closely. I hope we get some reasonable timelines soon. An interim pin is never a bad idea .

#42 4 years ago

Having owned GOT PRO for 1 1/2 years in a 2-3 pin lineup, that gets my vote. It's not a looker, that's no secret, if you want a pin that looks good or appears to have more going on, get something else. If you want a game that has unprecedented speed, flow, rules, strategy, and scoring dynamics; then go GOT. Despite its horrid art package, and dated red dmd (it'll look bad ass if colordmd ever colorizes it), the rules and scoring are like no other pin.

Even though GOT has modes, it's not a mode based game. It a stacking/setup style, risk/reward scoring element game with all sorts of quick fast progression scoring elements. It's not like AC/DC where your just building one big song JP - and you don't have to rely on one ball to build that one JP either. You have multiple paths and different houses that change the dynamics. I don't think there's another game out there with as diverse jackpots to be had than GOT; AC/DC may come close. In fact, with its multiplier rule system, it has the biggest jackpots and scoring elements than any pin ever! which makes it so rewarding. Everytime I 'think' I'm growing tired of GOT (cause I've owned it so long), I just pick a new house and different strategy to have fun with. It's a fast flowey game that keeps you thinking ahead - setup and cash in. One thing you should know though, despite the game being one of the fastest around, it can have long ball times but they certainly don't feel like long games if that makes sense.

#44 4 years ago

I second this.

TWD was my first new pin and its not ever leaving. Best code ever.
AS is really fun and will be around for a while. For me I think it is the music that really adds to the playing. I'm not a huge AS fan, but the songs are all upbeat and get your blood moving. Music selections better than ACDC and MET for the 'fun' factor.
GOT was a dream theme but I never got hooked on it for some reason. Felt like work when playing it and I sold it .

#45 4 years ago
Quoted from VolunteerPin:

Okay, bring on he downvotes since this was not part of the original question but I'm telling you folks that xmle is a friggin steal at just slightly more by a couple hundred bucks.

I totally agree X-MEN is one of the best bang for your bucks right now. I will also add T3, for 3K it is one hell of a fun game. I am on the fence for my next NIB. I am waiting to see how Star Wars pans out. I don't want to spill my wad if Star Wars ends up blowing my mind. If not Star Wars I would consider GOT, AS or Houdini, it is a really tight race to earn my next purchase. Who knows I could wait for all the yard sales after Star Wars announcement and clean up with some nice used titles?

#46 4 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Aerosmith gets my vote. GOT is faster as there is very little on the game that interacts with the ball and that isn't a good thing in my opinion. Also the artwork doesn't represent anything from the show, it could be used for a generic castle / knights game.
GOT Pro
Photoshop artwork
Kickback mech
Physical ball lock
Plastic ramps
Mostly all plastic return rails (except for portion of right habit rail)
DMD
3 drop targets
Battering ramp toy
AS
Hand drawn artwork
Toy box toy with integrated 6 ball physical ball lock
Magnet in front of toy box
Kick out that launches ball to toy box
LCD
Metal ramps
Metal habit rails
Metal lane guides
Scoop on far left
Elevator scoop
AS Pro is easily the better value in my opinion.

All great points. Only problem for me is I've played both a ton and AS just isn't fun while GOT is one of my favorite games (never feels like work- feels good to actually achieves goals in the game instead of ambiguous points alone), you just need to take the 2 minutes it takes to learn the extremely straightforward rules. TWD, on factory settings at least, is just too damn hard for a small collection. But yes it's super fun though too. Add another opinion to your list... good luck

#47 4 years ago
Quoted from ATLpb:

All great points. Only problem for me is I've played both a ton and AS just isn't fun while GOT is one of my favorite games (never feels like work- feels good to actually achieves goals in the game instead of ambiguous points alone), you just need to take the 2 minutes it takes to learn the extremely straightforward rules. TWD, on factory settings at least, is just too damn hard for a small collection. But yes it's super fun though too. Add another opinion to your list... good luck

Also I'll never understand the tremendous "code love" "best code ever" TWD gets... yes it's good- of course it's good- I just don't understand all the hyperbole for a game that dramatically relies on hitting a 3 bank drop target on the side of the game so close to the flippers.

Oh and if you end up with TWD make sure you get my RH/NIN sound mix at least (pm me)

#49 4 years ago
Quoted from ATLpb:

AS just isn't fun

OK Mr Sold my Got, Sold my TWD.

Different strokes KG. I know your style, you like long, intense and dark games: RZ, MET, TWD, even GOT is a darker theme like the show.

When I say AS is fun, I mean it is lighthearted and generates positive energy when you play. Newbies like it because it's not intimating and the music is upbeat. In general, players here seem to like it for similar reasons.

As far as TWD code comment, the last big code drop was literally a game changer. The machine kinda sucked before, and it is now one of the best, so I was really happy when it came out ( was thinking of selling mine just before that.) You know me, I speak in hyperbole all the time. You're the best, Man! (see what I did there?)

#50 4 years ago
Quoted from ATLpb:

Also I'll never understand the tremendous "code love" "best code ever" TWD gets.

I really want to like TWD, I have forced myself to try and appreciate the game. Great code or not what kills it for me is the damn pops. The placement of the pops annoys me with shots leading directly into them. I cant stand watching the ball bounce around in the middle of pops and then draining into playfield. I am hoping to progress further to truly see the light but for now TWD does nothing for me.

There are 62 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside