(Topic ID: 252232)

"Smacking" the plunger

By joelbob

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image (resized).jpg
    MH-A0920-456x456 (resized).jpg
    8F3B981A-A353-4EAF-A0D2-873CB2D59564 (resized).jpeg
    arcade6sdfsdfsdfsdf (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider justinjohnson.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#55 4 years ago

Not sure where I picked it up but honestly smacking the plunger is my preferred shot. Take #addams-family for instance if you do it right its a huge advantage at least for me I can lock shots all day using the smack plunge. Another one is #white-water , I can hit my smack plunge better than a normal one to start the ball.

Other times I use it to the get energy of the ball in play up, for instance for those times on machines where you ball just can't quite make it up the ramp. Power plunge it hit your shot and it goes right up the ramp no problem. But I pick and choose which machines I do it on. If its useless then yeah I'll just flip it out like normal. For the 1st shot it definitely can change you game up, I love using it for superskill shots, #deadpool-premium is one of them.

Occasionally though I will have the problem of the ball leaving the play field. I've knocked one of the small spaceships off of its roost before in #attack-from-mars and taken off the wing of the Tie Fighter on #star-wars-stern-le . Although I don't attribute that to the smack plunge its just I am too used to playing on the fly and my ball energy stays up and it does things that balls probably just shouldn't do. I'd honestly like to become more of a finesse player but its just my go to I guess.

Biggest problem that I have is that the ball getting english on it just like in pool. If you've played pool the ball actually curves. An example of this is on #metallica if I even touch the captive ball and have my energy built up it goes directly in the snakes mouth, literally no questions asked. On the flip side though I've tried to do a dead flip and take some energy out of my ball, it hits the flippers goes up and literally stops dead and drains down the center. Very frustrating indeed, I'd actually love a ball that has something on it, a stripe or a dot, to tell what kind of english I have on the ball.

I dunno I guess I'm still learning but to read comments in here about calling out people for looking like douche for that shot seems pretty judgmental. There are definitely reasons to smack/power plunge.

#66 4 years ago
    MH-A0920-456x456 (resized).jpgMH-A0920-456x456 (resized).jpg
    #67 4 years ago
    Quoted from Diospinball:

I tried doing it once when I saw a video of a person do it. Yeah... It hurt... Didn't like it... Haven't done it again. And I do think its bit rough on the machines, so I wouldn't do it again even if it didn't hurt, out of respect for the operators.
    But, at Galloping Ghost. One time Black Knight during extra time I had 2 balls stuck in the shooter lane after the game. I couldn't plunge them regularly. I told the employee and he did the smack plunge to clear it, and it worked. But, again he's an employee. I wouldn't want to get yelled at for doing something like that. I have too much fun at GG.

If you are doing hard enough to break your wrist or injure you hand then you aren't doing it right. It doesn't take that much force if done correctly. Perhaps have someone show you how to do it instead of injuring yourself.

1 month later
    #85 4 years ago

So what do you all think of this video then? I'll clue you in. Its Keith Elwin vs. Lyman Sheats at Pinball Expo 2013 SMACKING the plunger on X-Men. Thoughts on this? Anyones opinion change at all? Its obviously something he's done before because he does it twice in row. Here is the video

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider justinjohnson.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/smacking-the-plunger?tu=justinjohnson and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.