(Topic ID: 252232)

"Smacking" the plunger

By joelbob

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image (resized).jpg
    MH-A0920-456x456 (resized).jpg
    8F3B981A-A353-4EAF-A0D2-873CB2D59564 (resized).jpeg
    arcade6sdfsdfsdfsdf (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider frax.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#50 4 years ago
    Quoted from RetroGamerJP:

I've yet to see this, but I have seen guys take there hand and smack the side of the cabinet REALLY HARD in some sort of save effort. Not the side as in flipper button area but further up in the middle of the cabinet. I think it was Metallica they were playing.

Which...actually does something...instead of slapping or punching the plunger, which only makes you look like a total douche.

1 month later
    #58 4 years ago
    Quoted from JustinJohnson:

I dunno I guess I'm still learning but to read comments in here about calling out people for looking like douche for that shot seems pretty judgmental.

Nah, seriously. Short of the plunger JUST NOT WORKING due to a busted spring or whatever, there's literally *zero* reason to do this, and even THAT is questionable if you're just going to further damage the game. If you have to do that versus using the thing as intended to make a skill shot...that's just your crappy skill at play, or someone putting the wrong plunger springs on there. Stuff like this makes me question whether or not I should even bring my games out to shows or not. What if some asshat had smacked the plunger on my (Ahem...Best ORIGINAL *WINNING*) Farfalla like that and cracked or shattered it? Do you have even the first clue how hard it is to find a replacement red acrylic Zacc plunger with the correct knob?!

#60 4 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Probably smacked 20,000 times before you owned it.
    You could also just swap out the plunger if you're worried aboot it, but I know I know, then you couldn't threaten not to being games to shows.

Eh, fine. I didn't think about that. Yeah, I could swap it out.

With a nail welded to the end of a metal one.

#62 4 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Then you'd have to learn how to weld
    I understand there's a lot of people that feel the way they do things is the only/correct way, but for a time they made plungers with a pointy end for a reason, this has been happening forever. Amazingly pinball has limped thru just fine.

Haha! Good props on calling out that I don't actually know how to weld. I'd love to learn, and have the space for it. I do have local people I know that are welders, though, so it wasn't a total stretch. I just don't understand why people can't just be a *little* civilized with other people's property. It's ridiculous, and unneeded, like looting TVs during a hurricane. And in some cases (like mentioned) there literally IS unreplaceable parts at risk.

You want to slam your plunger, on your game, in your house.. HAVE AT IT! Anyone that knows me knows I'm a big advocate of "It's my game, I do what I want." and there's 4" scuffs on my wood floor where games used to sit from me and my wife being crazy with the slide saves. But yanno....."It's my game." I do think people should be more respectful of things that aren't theirs, when that equipment might be someone's livelihood, or something they've brought to a show for everyone to enjoy. If you bust the plunger tip or the spring playing like a mongoloid, then that game won't get played nearly as much as it would've otherwise, and you're also taking away from their time to get on site to fix it...for what? Your own personal rebellious streak, or to make a skillshot on an Addams when you're not even playing competitively? We're better than that....or should be.

#76 4 years ago
    Quoted from smsteve:

Yikes!

Cuz everyone knows that people with Down’s Syndrome are violent, and known for their maniacal tendency to destroy pinball machines, right?
    At the risk of being called PC, I think that stinks.

Where the hell....

You're only going to get called on the PC thing because YOU mistakenly assumed that I associate "mongoloid" with Downs? Also...WHAT THE HELL?

*Scratch head*

https://www.etymonline.com/word/mongoloid

Oh, humans are trash, right. Obviously, I was going for the other usage. I guess I'm too 'young' at 39 to have ever known that was even a thing.

#83 4 years ago
    Quoted from smsteve:

Forgive me for assuming you knew the meaning of the words you selected.

Forgive yourself for misunderstanding which meaning I was using?

Quoted from smsteve:

No problem! I don’t expect you to apologize for what you claim is merely your insensitive ignorance, rather than the casual slur against those less fortunate than you (that casual slur it still appears to be).

And what about that mongoloid wife of yours that slide tilts?

Wow, big man. Bring my wife into this to defend your shitty logic and idiocy. If you were trying to prove you weren't a troll....congratulations, you just failed.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider frax.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/smacking-the-plunger?tu=frax and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.