50%

(237 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

ms_twss (resized).jpg
20161029_145001 (resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
There are 118 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
#51 7 years ago

Dead even, at 58 votes each. Maybe these two just can't go against one another.

#52 7 years ago

The entire two days they have been within one vote of each other haha. At this point it's probably safe to say it comes down to what style of game you prefer to play.

#53 7 years ago

Might as well get both, thats my plan.

TSPP, LOTR, SM, and GB are the essentials for the golden stern collection. Tron is a possible add to the list

#54 7 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

Start TV modes & lock 2 couch balls
Before the 30 count down reaches 0 on the TV be sure to hit the right orbit to relight the TV mode ready insert then go to upper PF to start that TV mode
But dont lock that 3rd couch ball yet!
Repeat this TV stack by restarting the clock via Otto, the pop bumper the add time target or by starting new TV modes until all 7 modes are running @ the same time (stack).
It aint easy but having 3 shots to add time make it very doable
Then lock that 3rd couch ball OMFG time to cornhole the game!
This is not really the goal of the game. Its greed. Its insanity. Its risk vs reward?
As you finish modes you gain victory laps worth a shit ton that multiply by completed objectives or something like that which is nuts.
If you succeed at the 7 TV stack you are Chuck Norris. If you fail you pretty much wasted your whole ball becuase rather than play modes like a normal human you tried to stack em all like a greedy asshole. If you do something inbetween none & all you will do good & have a lot of fun.
If youre a real pimp you also run this 7 TV stack couch MB with all the jackpots, the super jackpot on the couch & run some bartman, I&S and CBG modes or mini wizards... ALL AT THE SAME TIME
But that would make the game burst into flames I think

Thanks for explaining, and that's why (I think) Tspp is the (slightly) better game. It's just fun.

Note: I never liked Tspp before I got it. I had played it on location without knowing any of the rues and I didn't care for it. But the more I discover about the more I like it. I only wish other pins were coded as well.

#55 7 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Thanks for explaining, and that's why (I think) Tspp is the (slightly) better game. It's just fun.
Note: I never liked Tspp before I got it. I had played it on location without knowing any of the rues and I didn't care for it. But the more I discover about the more I like it. I only wish other pins were coded as well.

Yes. Once you learn how to reset the TV timer, it totally changes the game

#56 7 years ago

The vote is exactly my feeling on the matter...had to have them both....such different games, both crazy fun, but in different ways ( purest flow vs. pure shot maker))....just make sure to pack a lunch and a couple beers....definitely long ball times on both.

#57 7 years ago

Still dead even at 64 votes. I'm gonna hold back my vote for a bit, this is so close.

#58 7 years ago
Quoted from BrooklynDrug:

Still dead even at 64 votes. I'm gonna hold back my vote for a bit, this is so close.

I voted SM only because you can play it as fast, mindless fun if you'd like. If your shots are on, EVERY SINGLE SHOT in the game is satisfying. Combos FTW.

#59 7 years ago

They are both GREAT games, and they are really different, but for me the flow of Spiderman makes it a better game. If you are a giant Simpsons fan it would probably win just based on how great the theme implementation is.

#60 7 years ago

SM takes the lead

#61 7 years ago

I agree w/a previous poster

Buy both...

Get whichever one pops up first & the other later

#62 7 years ago

Even again at 70.

#63 7 years ago

I don't have a ton of time on SM but can definitely vouch for TSPP, especially in smaller collections which I have. It is great for you because of the depth and great for guests because it's so easy to explain the main objective of locking a ball on the couch.

#64 7 years ago

I've seriously contemplated adding SM to my lineup over the past year, which already includes a HUO modded-out TSPP, but for multiple reasons I keep balking when it goes up against my "next" pin. For me, I keep playing SM so that I can convince myself to love it enough to add it to my collection, but in my opinion, it does not stack up against my love of TSPP. In fact, SM didn't compare well against many of the pins I judged it against. The real question for me would be whether I would replace my TSPP for a SM (or SMVE); the answer would be an absolutely, NO!

Therefore, IMO, SM not only loses out to TSPP, but it lost out to all the following pins I purchased over the past year: MB, TOTAN, CV, TOM and Pinball Magic. Don't get me wrong, SM is a great game, just not great enough for me, yet.

#65 7 years ago

I

Quoted from BestShot31:I keep playing SM so that I can convince myself to love it enough to add it to my collection...

Me too. Spiderman is my favorite superhero and I like the way the game shoots but the rules don't grab me (the unimaginative 3,6,9,12 shot progression to defeat the villains feels like chopping wood). Not a big fan of the ripped video animations and the playfield art is just okay.

Simpsons excels in all these areas, IMO.

What Simpsons lacks is the thrill you get from stringing together a bunch of smooth flowing combos.

#66 7 years ago

TSPP is in the lead

#67 7 years ago

MET, LOTR AND TWD are all better than SM and TSPP. I had SM and it was fun for 3 months and it hit a wall with me. long ball time and fun shots but just gets old fast. LOTR has been around for 4 years and i can't seem to let it go. There is a reason it is in the top 5. I hate the themes on MET and TWD but they are a great collection of shots and code. Actually i prefer just about any Stern to TSPP.

#68 7 years ago

SM easily holds its own with the other pins mentioned....the ratings are strictly for entertainment, imho....yea, the top 2,3 are sort of landmarks and deserve the recognition.....the rest a crapshoot of personal preference. I had to finally vote SM ( even though I love both), based on Bestshot31 and Wolfy's posts.........

Gotta give props to 2 great machines!!!

#69 7 years ago

Regarding TSPP, either you "get it" or you don't.

SM is okay, but after I sold it, I never missed it.

TSPP has so much, that the rules allow you to play it in different ways that it can feel like a new game depending how you approach it.

TSPP is just a fantastic home game.

#70 7 years ago

Just as I vote SM I finally set the Grand Champ score. Daredevil mania for the first time. Awesome.

TSPP pro: you have TONS of things you'll discover.
TSPP con: you have no idea when or why you discovered them

it's a great pin.

#71 7 years ago
Quoted from rai:TSPP is in the lead

Look like SM took the lead with 77 to tspp's 74.

Still prettyyyyyy close.

#72 7 years ago

I voted SM cause i just sold my TSPP and replaced it with a SMVE.

I liked TSPP and it is definitely a top tier game. Great code that you will never find the bottom of, fun upper playfield, alien invasion is fantastic. But it was a bit complicated for guests to like and clunky.

SMVE shots are smooth and satisfying code is already complete, id say it is far easier to understand what the goals are for guests. SM and SMVE are also top tier games for sure.

I dont regret my decision to switch from TSPP to SMVE.

#73 7 years ago

Look like SM took the lead with 77 to tspp's 74.
Still prettyyyyyy close.

Now it's

SM 78
TSPP 79

quite a back and forth battle.

#74 7 years ago

equal leads now. I like more SM because of my upcoming lineup...SM Black , IMVE and XM pro. Nice trio of Marvel's characters.

#75 7 years ago

Wow, dead heat ( still).....best poll ever!!!

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#76 7 years ago

I voted tspp as it the newest in my lineup

#77 7 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Now it's
SM 78
TSPP 79
quite a back and forth battle.

Tied at 81. Yikes! It just won't stop.

#78 7 years ago

Like all works of art, TSPP is always going to be polarizing. Like any great painting, you can spend hours looking at it (well, playing it in this case) before you notice the subtle flourishes that make it so great... or maybe it's the opposite. Some people think the Smiths are unlistenable pretentious shit. Nobody really thinks Kanye is just OK. And with the Simpsons, you either take the time to appreciate it and fall in love, or you tell everybody and their mother what a clunky over-rated piece of crap it is... because that's literally what it feels like to you and probably MANY other people that will play it.

Spider-Man on the other hand is just OK (in my opinion). But I can guarantee you won't hate it!

#79 7 years ago

Recommendation to the OP: just buy SM. After a few months you will sell it and then buy TSPP. It will not leave anymore

Seriously: try to spend some time on both. If you like faster games with some flow you should consider SM. TSPP is more of a stop-and-go game. That said I sold Black SM after 6 months and TSPP will stay a very long time.

#80 7 years ago

Tspp takes a good lead.

#81 7 years ago

Looks like tspp takes it.

#82 7 years ago

Looks like tspp takes it.

As it should. So, enough precincts have reported that you're calling it? lol

#83 7 years ago
Quoted from scottslash:

As it should. So, enough precincts have reported that you're calling it? lol

Wait wait!! Spiderman creeping back, only 2 votes away from another tie. It just doesn't want to die.

#84 7 years ago

They're so even in my mind, I had trouble voting. But I realized: There are a lot of games like SM, but there's really nothing like TSPP. TSPP gets the vote. Gap still at 2.

#85 7 years ago

A tie, a tie!!!

#86 7 years ago

"Decision 2016" is too close to call!

#87 7 years ago

SM leads by 2. This won't end.

#88 7 years ago

I think a good conclusion to take from this thread is that if you buy either of these machines, although very different in gameplay, you will not be disappointed.

#89 7 years ago

Both are great games, I want a spider man,have tspp realy like it alot, great flow with stop and go as for spider man I've played it on many locations and find it is fast and fun with even more flow than tspp...two totally different but great machines. I think tspp for the long run, Flip a coin, depends on what theme you like best, can't go wrong with either one so you mite as well get both, good luck with it and of course best price and condition on either one would help you pick

#90 7 years ago

I have sold a SM. I have never sold a TSPP. But then I rebought SM, so I have bought a SM twice and TSPP only once. I don't understand my own point.

#91 7 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

I have sold a SM. I have never sold a TSPP. But then I rebought SM, so I have bought a SM twice and TSPP only once. I don't understand my own point.

LOLOL Few people admit that!

#92 7 years ago

Tied again.

#93 7 years ago

I did start a thread a long time ago suggesting that SM is respected rather than loved. And I do think that might be the difference. I love TSPP. I respect SM and games feel more like some noble, oriental contest rather than just a fun filled flail. These two games are both top of the pile, but bring a different type of engagement out of the player. I'm sure a lot of respondents would actually simply like to vote for both, but are battling feelings that they themselves don't even understand.

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

#94 7 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

I did start a thread a long time ago suggesting that SM is respected rather than loved. And I do think that might be the difference. I love TSPP. I respect SM and games feel more like some noble, oriental contest rather than just a fun filled flail. These two games are both top of the pile, but bring a different type of engagement out of the player. I'm sure a lot of respondents would actually simply like to vote for both, but are battling feelings that they themselves don't even understand.

Well fuckin' said dude. Yep, this one's too tough, even I haven't voted yet, I started the damn thread. It just hurts to think about.

#95 7 years ago

You could just buy them both and save yourself from the confusion.

#96 7 years ago

Well fuckin' said dude. Yep, this one's too tough, even I haven't voted yet, I started the damn thread. It just hurts to think about.

And, from here on, there will be the two-outcome-system-balancing-novelty-bias to cope with as new voters will be biased towards making the votes balance rather than vote for their favourite. It's going to get harder and harder to drift away from 50/50 as time goes on.

#97 7 years ago

For me, when I owned SM, I found that the front end of the game played the same a lot. Basically starting the various villain shots (etc.) you have to complete the same villain modes several times.

I am not saying this is bad, it's like other games (IM for example) and there is depth such as the back end of the game wizard modes. I didn't keep it long enough or am not a great player to get to the Wizard modes. I suspect that the game opens up for better players. But if I'm playing the game and most of the time I don't get to the deep stuff each game feels the same. I don't want to say chopping wood but the point is it's long.

I do like the time modes like save MJ and Bone-Saw modes. There is really a lot more than a game like IM. But then SM has long ball times so I see a lot of Green Goblin and Doc Oc and Sandman (over and over).

On the other hand Tspp has more modes that you can get to early in the game or play it different was so each game can feel different. It has like 7 or 8 TV modes and each one feels different. It has I&S, it has the hurry-ups and the double scoring shots, it has the timer and just a lot of stuff in the code. Plus the dots are way (way) better.

Maybe I was not playing SM the right way, maybe I was stuck in a rut and every game didn't have to seem like a carbon copy of the prior game.

Don't get me wrong with pins, a lot of games can play the same each time you hit start, I mean IM and Tron and PotC are very good examples and SM is like those. But Tspp to me has more variation each time I play it I don't know where it's going to take me.

#98 7 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

And, from here on, there will be the two-outcome-system-balancing-novelty-bias to cope with as new voters will be biased towards making the votes balance rather than vote for their favourite. It's going to get harder and harder to drift away from 50/50 as time goes on.

Ah yes, I do understand this one. It will be a lot of 2-3 vote deficits from here on out.

Quoted from rai:

For me, when I owned SM, I found that the front end of the game played the same a lot. Basically starting the various villain shots (etc.) you have to complete the same villain modes several times.
I am not saying this is bad, it's like other games (IM for example) and there is depth such as the back end of the game wizard modes. I didn't keep it long enough or am not a great player to get to the Wizard modes. I suspect that the game opens up for better players. But if I'm playing the game and most of the time I don't get to the deep stuff each game feels the same. I don't want to say chopping wood but the point is it's long.
I do like the time modes like save MJ and Bone-Saw modes. There is really a lot more than a game like IM. But then SM has long ball times so I see a lot of Green Goblin and Doc Oc and Sandman (over and over).
On the other hand Tspp has more modes that you can get to early in the game or play it different was so each game can feel different. It has like 7 or 8 TV modes and each one feels different. It has I&S, it has the hurry-ups and the double scoring shots, it has the timer and just a lot of stuff in the code. Plus the dots are way (way) better.
Maybe I was not playing SM the right way, maybe I was stuck in a rut and every game didn't have to seem like a carbon copy of the prior game.
Don't get me wrong with pins, a lot of games can play the same each time you hit start, I mean IM and Tron and PotC are very good examples and SM is like those. But Tspp to me has more variation each time I play it I don't know where it's going to take me.

I do feel like spider man may feel like chopping wood, which is why I'm on the fence about that one and turned onto tspp with the variety in ways of playing. The depth I feel would not feel like chopping wood to me on that game. Xm felt a bit like chopping wood for me, and that got to be a bit after a while. Xm's great, don't get me wrong. Just cause a game feels like chopping wood, doesn't mean it's not a top notch fun game to play. I'm just looking for balance and in the end, tspp takes it on all cylinders against sm. Only thing it doesn't on, is theme. Theme plays a big role in my decision making process...unfortunately.

#99 7 years ago

lots of games feel like chopping wood, Tspp is not one of them. Seems like there are so many avenues to go down or up or across.

#100 7 years ago
Quoted from rai:

lots of games feel like chopping wood, Tspp is not one of them. Seems like there are so many avenues to go down or up or across.

You said it. But who knows if I even end up with one of these.

Last time I played tspp was in 2012 in Ocean city and that was a couple games. Super fun experience, but I would have to put more time on it. And the thing is I haven't played a sm at all. I could end up loving that thing way more, so. I plan on going back to oc this month or next so I'll be sure to get proper time on both games. That'll help haha.

Also, these are all ideas for my 3rd pin. I still have to nab my 2ND. I want my 2ND to be a classic title. Then onto the 3rd. Or who knows. Decisions suck, but this time around patience is key.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

9,899 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Livermore, CA
Lighting - Led
Comet Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 25.95
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 135.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 165.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 218.00
$ 44.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fairfield, CT
$ 16.00
$ 16.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

There are 118 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sm-vs-tspp/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.