11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Tron_&_BSD_026.JPG
There are 79 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 11 years ago

I have a very nice sm but its getting a little repedative. Seemed like I'm in multi ball all the time. Is tron the same way ? Is it a deep game.

#2 11 years ago

SM is deeper, but I found that Tron was more fun (I owned both side by side and dumped SM after a while). Tron has a little less multiball action but I liked the shot layout better

#3 11 years ago

I have them sitting next to each other.
Both have polished software now. You're in a multiball in tron all the time, too, but you need to be if you leave the side drains set factory. it's a MUCH harder game then spiderman and games don't last nearly as long.
Those are good things in my opinion and Spidey will leave long before tron does.
my .02
D

#4 11 years ago

What is a good price for TRON HUO with some mods?

#5 11 years ago

SM, Tron and IM are all very close top 3 pins. Splitting hairs at this point.

1 - IM
2 - Sm
3 - Tron

#6 11 years ago
Quoted from Tommi_Gunn:

1 - IM
2 - Sm
3 - Tron

Agreed!

Quoted from dannunz:

What is a good price for TRON HUO with some mods?

I'd say these days your probably looking ~5k(ish)

#8 11 years ago

IM is boring to me. SM is always fun. Still waiting to play a Tron.

#9 11 years ago

Tron isn't deep, but it's the better game IMO...I would personally only want the LE though..which is why I still don't own one...my buddy down the road does though...that'll have to do

#10 11 years ago

You can't go wrong with any of those three. If SM is getting boring move on. Tron is fun. I love just looking at it and the music and lights are sooo cool.

#11 11 years ago

SM is one of the greatest pins ever. Tron not so much. Good sure, but hardly all time.

#12 11 years ago

What settings are you playing SM on?

#13 11 years ago
Quoted from dannunz:

I have a very nice sm but its getting a little repedative. Seemed like I'm in multi ball all the time. Is tron the same way ? Is it a deep game.

Quoted from dannunz:

Tron is a multiball fest too, or should be if you are doing well. SM is a much better game IMHO, way more to it, but I can see how it would get repetitive if you have had it for awhile. One thing to think about is that if you think SM is repetitive, Tron will feel much more repetitive to you because there isn't nearly as much to Tron as there is SM.

#14 11 years ago

Tron is a nice change from SM, so go for it. I think the layout is more fun and the audio package is much better. Always fun hitting the GEM shot, except when it goes STDM.

#15 11 years ago

SM is the way better game in my opinion. Tron...I just don't understand the love (and pricetag for the LE) for this game.

#16 11 years ago

I have had a SM since they were in production and I have a Tron Pro coming soon. Despite my insane excitement to get my Tron, I have to say that SM is the better game in regards to rules and playfield layout. It's just a fantastic game. Tron isn't a huge step down, but it is not quite at SM's level.

#17 11 years ago
Quoted from dannunz:

Tron is very Multiball heavy. Lightcycle, Quorra, Disc, End of Line (LE only). Spidey has Black Suit Multiball, Doc Ock modes, Battle Royale...but way more modes to space things out.

Spidey is a deep game, more traditionally mode based game.

Tron is an adrenaline/strategy/die quick 'n start again game.

They're both fast 'n combo-y.

Spidey is "technically" a better game. Tron is more fun, though.

#18 11 years ago

These games are too different to compare I think.. Tron falls into the same category as AC/DC and IM, in that they're all much shorter ball times than say SM or LOTR. I gravitate between one and the other depending on how much time I actually have to play. Ie. Tron or IM while the wife is getting dressed for dinner vs. SM or LOTR at 2am when the family is sleeping.

#19 11 years ago

If you are spending a lot of time in multiball in Spiderman it's a good thing. You should be trying to activate white modes and THEN starting multiball (Either Doc Ock or Black Suit Multiball) to help get through the mode, rinse and repeat. If you are in multiball without a white mode active you are not going to have as much fun, there's really no points in SM multiball by itself.

I got kind of tired of SM because I was consistently just aiming for Battle Royale and ignoring white modes. That gets old FAST. Once I made white modes my primary mission I started having fun again (the white modes FLOW really well, the villains are almost all stop and go).

That said, Tron is a great game. I do find Tron a little repetitive (Aim for Quorra, Aim for GEM, pick up the other shots when I miss those, etc), but maybe I'm also playing it wrong.

-Wes

#20 11 years ago

Hears the headline Tron wins but thats just my version of events. Would not kick either out of a game room

#21 11 years ago
Quoted from Tommi_Gunn:

1 - IM
2 - Sm
3 - Tron

Second that. Loving my new IM so far.

#22 11 years ago

If we're going to rank those three Sterns, I'd go:

1. SM
2. Tron
3. IM

If we want to do a top 5 Sterns, I' d go:

1. LOTR
2. TSPP
3. SM
4. Tron
5. IM

Note: I haven't had a chance to play AC/DC yet. It could easily make the top 5.

#23 11 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

If we're going to rank those three Sterns, I'd go:

1. SM
2. Tron
3. IM

If we want to do a top 5 Sterns, I' d go:

1. LOTR
2. TSPP
3. SM
4. Tron
5. IM

There with you for the 3.

For my top 5 all time I go...

1) SM
2) LOTR
3) Tron
4) ACDC
5) TSPP

#24 11 years ago

My personal top 5 Sterns:

1) Tron LE
2) AC/DC Prem.
3) XMen LE
4) SM
5) LOTR

#25 11 years ago
Quoted from dannunz:

I have a very nice sm but its getting a little repedative.

I can't see how Quarra/Gem/Gem/Gem/SOS/Collect the 6 Gem shots you missed could be any diff'rent
But seriously they are both damn fine.

#26 11 years ago

My vote would be for SM. It's well established as one of the top Stern games for good reason. I have had plenty of time on Tron, but so far I don't feel the love. It's got a good soundtrack...

#27 11 years ago
Quoted from fattrain:

My personal top 5 Sterns:
1) TRON LE
2) AC/DC Prem.
3) XMen LE
4) SM
5) LOTR

My Top 5 Sterns (in no particular order)

Tron LE
AC/DC Prem
FGY
TSPP
LOTR

#28 11 years ago

I like Tron more.

Tron is at the very top of my want list and neck-n-neck with AC/DC.

#29 11 years ago

Top 5 Sterns

ACDC LE or Prem
Tron
LOTR
SM
IM

..........haven't had enough time on TSPP or XM

#30 11 years ago
Quoted from pinheadpuckguy:

..........haven't had enough time on TSPP or XM

I had a good amount of time with both of these. Obviously I love XM but after a few years TSPP just started to feel a little "slow" to me compared to my other games. I got the opportunity to do a good trade and had no problem letting it go. However, with that being said, I would totally own another one

#31 11 years ago

I have only played about 15 games on SM. Tron all the way on this one. But then again i own LOTR and to have a SM over Tron would not make sense in my collection. SM is a good game and I can see why its loved. This whole IM thing is nuts IMHO. Its a good game but not up there with SM or TRON or or or....

Tron for the win bc of the music, fast play, light show, and the rush you get. Did I mention mods? I like Mods. Do you?

#32 11 years ago

I always thought SM was FASSSTTTT!!!!..... Until Tron

#33 11 years ago

SM>IM>>>>Tron

#34 11 years ago

SM by 10 miles ........... Tron Pro was Cool but I grew Tired of it ...

Tron_&_BSD_026.JPGTron_&_BSD_026.JPG

#35 11 years ago

Thanks for your great opinions I am going to keep SM for now.

#36 11 years ago

SM was my favorite until I realized you can just backhand the doc ock shot over and over to lock balls and restart MB indefinitely. Then it wasn't as fun.

I go to an arcade which only has LOTR and SM and I swear my ball times are even longer on SM, no joke. To be clear when people say SM is 'fast', they mean the ball physically moves fast around the playfield... but actual ball times are long.

#37 11 years ago
Quoted from NashBridgezz:

To be clear when people say SM is 'fast', they mean the ball physically moves fast around the playfield... but actual ball times are long.

It's not if you open those outlanes and tighten up the tilt. The PAPA videos for SM are incredible.

The fact that there's no real consensus between the two machines means that both are just simply great games. You can't lose either way.

#38 11 years ago

SM was my favorite until I realized you can just backhand the doc ock shot over and over to lock balls and restart MB indefinitely. Then it wasn't as fun.

To be clear when people say SM is 'fast', they mean the ball physically moves fast around the playfield... but actual ball times are long.

Yes you can start the Doc Oc multiballs by just back-handing them. Of course that doesn't get you very far in the game...really it gets you nowhere. Mixing that with other things, and leabnring how to multiply and stack shit is the reason people love the game as it has a reocokulusly awesome rule set.

Agreed ball times are very long on SM.

#39 11 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

The fact that there's no real consensus between the two machines means that both are just simply great games. You can't lose either way.

^ This

#40 11 years ago

You can take any game and choose to play it in an unfun way. That's on you.

#41 11 years ago

So all these top 5 Stern lists don't include Avengers? Interesting... hmm. Most Avengers owners really seem to vouch for it. Maybe it's just too early to call it a top 5, I dunno.

#42 11 years ago

So all these top 5 Stern lists don't include Avengers? Interesting... hmm. Most Avengers owners really seem to vouch for it. Maybe it's just too early to call it a top 5, I dunno.

It's too early to coronate or trash any game less than a few years old. Things change (like code) and hype dies.

Call Avengers anything you want, a rose by any other name smells as sweet. Avengers is awesome.

#43 11 years ago

All in all what's a faster/adrenaline pumping game. SM or TRON?

#44 11 years ago

I have both. SM for me.

#45 11 years ago
Quoted from Monkey:

All in all what's a faster/adrenaline pumping game. SM or TRON?

IM!

But seriously, for adrenaline and speed, Tron all the way. SM has tons of flow, but you don't get that same rush with Tron or IM.

-Wes

#46 11 years ago

LOTR LE
WPT
SM

Everything else!

#47 11 years ago
Quoted from copperpot:

IM!
But seriously, for adrenaline and speed, Tron all the way. SM has tons of flow, but you don't get that same rush with Tron or IM.
-Wes

It's the "attack factor" ....IM whips the ball back at you from Monger or Whiplash. Tron whips it back at you from the disc. That combined w/ the fast orbits & ramps makes those games what they are.

#48 11 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

It's the "attack factor" ....IM whips the ball back at you from Monger or Whiplash. Tron whips it back at you from the disc. That combined w/ the fast orbits & ramps makes those games what they are.

Agree. For me, IM seems even faster than TRON, just a bit.

#49 11 years ago
Quoted from gprotein:

Agree. For me, IM seems even faster than TRON, just a bit.

Prob cuz Monger is closer to the flippers than the disc & his reactions are instant - so when you hit him and he magna-attacks you...DON'T BLINK!!!!

#50 11 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

he magna-attacks you...DON'T BLINK!!!!

LOL, word.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Saint Johns, MI
$ 25.50
$ 25.95
$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 16.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
PFX Pinball Mods

$ 14.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

10,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Willington, DE
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

Trade
$ 8.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

$ 6.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 99.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

Machine - For Sale
Rockford, IL
$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Disk war combatant Pre-order!
RamMods

There are 79 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sm-vs-tron-pro-which-is-better and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.