• Star Trek Pro 23 votes
    16%
  • Save some more & go for the Star Trek Premium! 37 votes
    25%

(148 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpg
There are 74 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 9 years ago

I have to admit I have wanted a SM for awhile. I'm just about in a position to buy one. But spending the kind of money they go for has me wondering if I should go Star Trek instead.
I can get a NIB ST Pro for about what a routed SM goes for. I have played both (more time on SM) and could down the line see both in my collection.
Spider Man would go well in my collection (X-Men Pro & AVLE) and was my original intention. But when I think about spending that kind of money on a routed/older machine when I can have a brand new/close to new Star Trek it makes me pause.
I know SM had great code & I know ST isn't done yet but seems promising. I'm a little concerned about ST having a very similar feeling to X-Men with the 3rd flipper in a similar spot with a similar ramp to hit.
Would like some opinions please...

#4 9 years ago

SM easily over ST pro, premium, or LE. At least based on the current code.

#5 9 years ago

I'd say get a good HUO SM and play ST in the wild and really see if you like ST enough to buy it.

#6 9 years ago

Owned a SM and ST pro before this weekend. Now just have ST. I like faster, more flowing games. Loved SM for the first few months, then got ST and the decision was easy for me.

#7 9 years ago

SM easy in this situation. ST far from being done and they'll be available for a long time.

#8 9 years ago
Quoted from Butch2099:

ST having a very similar feeling to X-Men with the 3rd flipper in a similar spot with a similar ramp to hit.

STLE and X-men feel words apart. I have them sitting next to each other . No reason just that is were I had a spot. I am sitting this one out on opinion . I will say you can not go wrong with either one. And I am so pleased you Dig The Avengers . It is a kick ass game. And the pinside Herd for the most part are missing out. Good luck .

#9 9 years ago
Quoted from Butch2099:

I'm a little concerned about ST having a very similar feeling to X-Men with the 3rd flipper in a similar spot with a similar ramp to hit.

I have XMLE, SM, Tron and STLE all three flipper games with side ramp shots, the advantage of ST and SM is the ramps are fairly easy to hit (as opposed to XMLE). With SM and ST the ball dribbles out of the pops to the flipper and the side ramp is not too difficult.

With Tron and XM you have to set-up the side flipper shot up with a loop and the ball is traveling much faster usually so the side ramp is more difficult.

I got both SM and STLE within the same month (and ACDC premium).. I would rate them ACDC, SM, STLE mainly due to better code so far. But all three are super, I would not sell either of them.

#10 9 years ago
Quoted from RobKnapp:

STLE and X-men feel words apart. I have them sitting next to each other . No reason just that is were I had a spot. I am sitting this one out on opinion . I will say you can not go wrong with either one. And I am so pleased you Dig The Avengers . It is a kick ass game. And the pinside Herd for the most part are missing out. Good luck .

Avengers will be the last game to ever leave...Still love it the most..

Good to know it has a different feel than X-Men.

#11 9 years ago

SM is all time. A truly known quantity. It ain't going backwards. Lasted 3 years in what was then for me a 2 pin collection. Find a nice one and enjoy the magic. In a year or so you can trade it for a ST or something else that's proven itself.

And cheers on AV! Some people don't get it. I don't get them!

#12 9 years ago

Code: SM
Everything else: ST Prem/Le

#13 9 years ago

theme: personal taste

sounds: ST has cooler trek beeps, SM ok

code, variety of shots and things to shoot at, challenge, depth/breadth, animations: SM

bright LEDs: ST

Seriously, the ramps on SM are narrower and tougher to hit, the sandman center pit is a dangerous area, you have Doc Ock and 5 surfer standups on the left, modes and shots for each bad guy are very different, decent 'side' modes, good flow.

For ST, good speed and flow, but ramps are wide and ridiculously easy to hit (easy backhands too), but with the mid-pf 3-bank of standups and the single vengeance drop target and adjacent standup, there's not much else to shoot at. The modes are pretty interchangeable and fungible: shoot the same few shots with flashing or colored insert, repeat. I don't think software updates will improve things that much; the shot variety is still very limited.

If you like SM and are considering ST, why not look at ACDC too: similar layout (SR has settled into a pretty predictable format these days), but shots are tight like SM, adds a cannon, and the modes are decently varied.

#15 9 years ago

SM by light years. To me everything about ST feels generic. No personality to it. The shots are pretty open and don't offer much satisfaction when hit. ST is fast but the flow doesn't feel tight if that makes sense. Everything about SM is superior for me except maybe the light show, but that doesn't mean much to me. SM is just a far more solid game. Just my opinion. Don't want to upset the rabid ST fans out there. ST is a good game, but compared to SM no contest. Funny because they seem like they should be similar with their layouts.

#16 9 years ago

Not close...SM by a mile.

#17 9 years ago

Until something crazy happens with the code for ST, I'd definitely go SM.

#18 9 years ago

I traded my ST for an HUO SM and don't regret it. At first it was all about theme, but it has become my favorite pin ..those tight ramp shots and being able to stack multiballs just keep me coming back.

#19 9 years ago
Quoted from StevenP:

theme: personal taste
sounds: ST has cooler trek beeps, SM ok
code, variety of shots and things to shoot at, challenge, depth/breadth, animations: SM
bright LEDs: ST
Seriously, the ramps on SM are narrower and tougher to hit, the sandman center pit is a dangerous area, you have Doc Ock and 5 surfer standups on the left, modes and shots for each bad guy are very different, decent 'side' modes, good flow.
For ST, good speed and flow, but ramps are wide and ridiculously easy to hit (easy backhands too), but with the mid-pf 3-bank of standups and the single vengeance drop target and adjacent standup, there's not much else to shoot at. The modes are pretty interchangeable and fungible: shoot the same few shots with flashing or colored insert, repeat. I don't think software updates will improve things that much; the shot variety is still very limited.
If you like SM and are considering ST, why not look at ACDC too: similar layout (SR has settled into a pretty predictable format these days), but shots are tight like SM, adds a cannon, and the modes are decently varied.

I wasn't crazy about AC/DC when I first played it. Probably because I only like some of the music. However I played one out at Zapcom where I couldn't hear it and really really enjoyed it. I still don't get the underneath playfield though..definitely wouldn't mind having a Luci edition..

#20 9 years ago

Have had both. SM isn't leaving, ST is gone. SM all the way. ST is still a good game, don't get me wrong, just SM is mo betta.

-Wes

#21 9 years ago
Quoted from copperpot:

Have had both. SM isn't leaving, ST is gone. SM all the way. ST is still a good game, don't get me wrong, just SM is mo betta.
-Wes

+1

#22 9 years ago

Must say I'm surprised at the landslide for SM...looks like my original plan of getting SM was a good one..

#23 9 years ago
Quoted from Butch2099:

Must say I'm surprised at the landslide for SM..

Well you've got a proven solid well liked machine vs. a new incomplete one.

#24 9 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Code: SM
Everything else: ST Prem/Le

I'd follow you through the pinball desert except when you talk about SM. You're lost when it comes to SM!

#25 9 years ago

I like both in their own ways, I'd probably lean towards SM more though. It's just a blast to play.

#26 9 years ago
Quoted from Butch2099:

Must say I'm surprised at the landslide for SM...looks like my original plan of getting SM was a good one..

When you look at both games as a complete package it shouldn't be much of a surprise.

#27 9 years ago

I agree with smassa, the complete package keeps this game fun for a long time. I get bored really fast with a majority of pins but SM has never lost my interest. I'm not even a huge fan of the trilogy either, I actually prefer the ST movies.

#28 9 years ago

SM will never be worth less than you pay for it now. All the postive ratings from the previous posts would indicate that. ST is a great game but I cannot justify the cost vs SM.

#29 9 years ago

I own a SM and I finally got to play ST last week.
The ramps are very buttery on ST. Smooth and fast. However, so are two inner ramps of SM! In fact, when you link left, right, left right, on SM, you can almost feel like your slingin' webs between buildings.

The warp ramp on ST is f'n hard to hit (At least for my drunk ass), but hitting it 4+ times in a row is awesome!
The lights on ST make me want to have a seizure, but I do like the flashyness.

If I had to pick between the two, I'd go with SM because I'm simply not a ST fan.

#30 9 years ago

STLE is the better game.

#31 9 years ago

I own both prefer ST but I say go with the theme you like best as both have good game play.

#32 9 years ago

Keep in mind if you get the ST, anything you put next to it will visually pale by comparison. The light show is amazing. In my opinion, the only machines that keep up visually are TRON and WOZ.

#33 9 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

STLE is the better game.

Im curious, what factors are you using to determine that its a better game?

#34 9 years ago

STLE is more exciting, faster, better lights, better sounds, has the fun warp ramp and kickback. Center shots in Spider-Man are boring. In STLE the ball gets fired back STLE code is a little basic right now. I believe STLE will be a top 5 game.

#35 9 years ago
Quoted from ozno:

STLE is more exciting, faster, better lights, better sounds, has the fun warp ramp and kickback. Center shots in Spider-Man are boring. In STLE the ball gets fired back STLE code is a little basic right now. I believe STLE will be a top 5 game.

That's the thing, Your hoping it will be a top 5-10 pin. SM already is! I'll hold off making final judgements on it till after the code gets redone (yeah it totally needs to be redone). Until then you might as well just throw a bunch of glow sticks in any pin since that's what all the LE/Premium owners are 1st to mention. It has a great light show!!!!

#36 9 years ago

Even unfinished I like ST better, def issue for me is theme. Never been a SM fan, but do love ST. I tried to get into the SM pin because most people rave about it. I just can't get into it at all.

#37 9 years ago
Quoted from tl54hill:

Keep in mind if you get the ST, anything you put next to it will visually pale by comparison.

In brightness yes.

#38 9 years ago
Quoted from smassa:

Im curious, what factors are you using to determine that its a better game?

Well first off I love Star Trek so that's a big plus, not that I hate Spiderman but not really into the movies more a fan of the late 60's cartoon and if it had been based on that or the comic 10 times better. For me gameplay and flow is better, I prefer the modes and multiballs and of course sound and lights, the cabinet looks awesome and the colour changing lights really add to the overall affect. Now lets here your determination's for it not be a superior pinball. I mean the games are similar so theme is a major factor but STLE is just more exciting game for me.

#39 9 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

Well first off I love Star Trek so that's a big plus, not that I hate spiderman but not really into the movies more a fan of the late 60's cartoon and if it had been based on that or the comic 10 times better. For me gameplay and flow is better, I prefer the modes and multiballs and of course sound and lights, the cabinet looks awesome and the colour changing lights really add to the overall affect. Now lets here your determination's for it not be a superior pinball. I mean the games are similar so theme is a major factor but STLE is just more exciting game for me.
» YouTube video

To me a game will always be defined by the combination of design and code. With SM and ST being very similar in design (SM being the better players game since shots are tighter where ST most shots are much wider and easier to hit)

Then we take a look at the code. SM blows ST out of the water In this department. Modes are more interesting and varied and the 2x/3x multipliers make for great strategy in which shot you decide to multiply. Not to mention Battle Royal and Super Hero are a couple of the best mini wizard/wizard modes on any pin out there. All the ST ones are Ropp specials so far, very uninspiring.

ST is a very nice looking game, I've had the LE and 2 Pro's so I know. But the game is just plain boring after you've put 20-30 games on it. Nothing short if a major reworking if the code can save it IMO.

While SM may not have the fancy color changing inserts it still is the better pin when you factor all things In what makes a pin great. The main things being design/flow and code.

#40 9 years ago
Quoted from smassa:

Then we take a look at the code. SM blows ST out of the water In this department. Modes are more interesting and varied ....

It blows it away because ST code isn't done. Really no need to go deeper than that.

#41 9 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

It blows it away because ST code isn't done. Really no need to go deeper than that.

I agree but he asked so I couldn't resist.

#42 9 years ago

I'm thinking Spiderman now & and Star Trek down the line..

#43 9 years ago
Quoted from Butch2099:

I'm thinking spiderman now & and Star Trek down the line..

Sounds smart to me, ST is gonna be available NIB for a while. I love mine, no worries from me about waiting on the code, but I knew the score when I bought it. See how the code is and then make a call. I personally am confident it's gonna turn a good game into a great one, but no way to know for sure until it drops.

#44 9 years ago
Quoted from smassa:

To me a game will always be defined by the combination of design and code. With SM and ST being very similar in design (SM being the better players game since shots are tighter where ST most shots are much wider and easier to hit)
Then we take a look at the code. SM blows ST out of the water In this department. Modes are more interesting and varied and the 2x/3x multipliers make for great strategy in which shot you decide to multiply. Not to mention Battle Royal and Super Hero are a couple of the best mini wizard/wizard modes on any pin out there. All the ST ones are Ropp specials so far, very uninspiring.
ST is a very nice looking game, I've had the LE and 2 Pro's so I know. But the game is just plain boring after you've put 20-30 games on it. Nothing short if a major reworking if the code can save it IMO.
While SM may not have the fancy color changing inserts it still is the better pin when you factor all things In what makes a pin great. The main things being design/flow and code.

Ok, I disagree I have several hundred plays on STLE and not the least bit bored but hey some people don't even get bored of SS which I was done with in a week so to each is own I guess.

#45 9 years ago

For me, AC DC made SM go and don't miss it one bit. Been thinking if ST prem code ever gets flushed out, AC DC prem could go for a ST prem. Long story short, my logic would say ST is better than SM.

#46 9 years ago

Sm over the turd

#47 9 years ago

At the end of the day it is about theme, both machines are solid entries, the code will get there for ST be patient, yes SM overall is a better entry right now IMO, but in the future it probably will not. In the end what interests you more for a theme, you can lose in this deal IMO...

#48 9 years ago
Quoted from deeznuts:

Sm over the turd

You sure about that? Because...

Quoted from deeznuts:

St is good, but not wow good. Center drop and hold, art package and speaker panel design all bug me. St is more in line with tron and tf. Great games but IM is still better.

#49 9 years ago

honeymoon is over. took 9 weeks

someone's digging

1 year later
#50 8 years ago

Reviving an old thread here. Figured why start a new one. I have SM now for awhile & love it. Thinking about Star Trek Premium/LE. Are they too similar layouts to have in the collection?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 24.95
Machine - For Sale
Boulder, CO
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 5.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Lake Elsinore, CA
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 16.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Brooklyn, MI
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lee's Summit, MO
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 25.50
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 74 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sm-vs-st and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.