View topic image gallery

Triple_facepalm.png
jiFfM.jpg
1er.jpg
Parappa.jpg
Lotr Orthanc Defender Installed.jpg
Lotr Orthanc Defender.jpg
image.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pimp77.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#12 9 years ago

SM is better. LOTR has clunky shots. SM is smoooooth. Both have great rules.

#51 9 years ago
Quoted from Atomicboy:

So what shots are clunky? I'm having a hard time understanding this. The cave shot is meant to be as it is. I like it, it's not a for sure shot, and I aim for the sides to make a shot that sticks, but it's a unique design, what do you want, another scoop or a saucer that's deflector eventually bends back and doesn't work right?. Chalk that up to the dock ock, which on most machines bricks out many times, as can be just as unreliable.
The back post in LOTR can be an issue, but there is an easy fix to make it 100% in adding a few washers under the PF.
Other than that, the right orbit, inner orbit, ring shot, left ramp, and right ramp all return in flow fashion, and three can be stopped/diverted. SM has both outer orbits, that are closed more than they are open, and three ramp shots. By all counts, there is more flow in LOTR than SM on average.

Ok, LOTR clunkiness...on the left you have the Shire saucer, or rather: large gaping cutout/area, not saucer. A shot here will clunk and slop about when hit directly. Also, shots dropping here from the POTD will clunk rather ungracefully off the Arwen plastic and into the area. Next we have the Pippen loop...its not too bad except for the 50% clunk and rejection rate of the saucer at the base of the tower that it dead ends at. Then you have the frodo/ring ramp...if you are lucky, the magnet grabs the ball. Most of the time it doesn't matter because the mode starts anyways, but when you are destroying the ring and you get hosed over and over by that f*cking magnet it gets frustrating. The Galdalf loop is one of the clunkiest shots in pinball which requires no explanation. A direct hit to the Gimli saucer will clunkily bounce through most times robbing you of the award. When you do get it into Gimli it often takes a couple tries of the VUK to get it onto the habitrail. Ugghhh. Aragorn's sword ramp runs into a dead end stand-up target and sloppily rolls down into the sword lock. I do love the look and idea of the sword though. The Merry loop is nice when it sails all the way through the loop, however if its going to the Orthanc tower get ready to hear an awful sounding clunk. Frequently, when being sent to the POTD, the ball ricochets off the SIDE OF THE CABINET and either drops back into Orthanc or falls off the back of the POTD. I owned two LOTRs because I had thought my first one may have been a lemon. Nope. They both had these issues. A lot of these can be tweaked and remedied somewhat, but not all. Anyways, I'd still buy a VE if it came out. The rules and theme are that good!

#88 9 years ago
Quoted from jarjarisgod:

I've never thought of LOTR as being clunky at all. It can be unforgiving on missed shots, but that's how it should be. I admit to being confused when people say the ball falls on the Arwen plastic and then goes into the Shire. Mine has a plastic that directs the ball into the habitrail from the Path of the Dead. Is this not how they came from the factory?
To answer the OP's question... These are my two favorite pins of all time. Whichever one I played last is the one I like the best.

Nope. Not factory. Imagine yours without that deflector. That's how it came from the factory.

#90 9 years ago
Quoted from jarjarisgod:

Ugh... Have to say I'm glad I don't have to live in that world. One of the best aftermarket mods ever!

You do realize you're losing souls by not falling into the shire from the POTD, right?

#103 9 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Yep. Clunky as shit, pretty much every shot with the exception of the left ramp.
And yet...I still love the pin and consider it one of the best!

This explains the disconnect. Flow has nothing to do with clunkiness.

^ 100% accurate.

#110 9 years ago

The other thing that annoyed me after a while was the spinner sound and VUK sound. They grate. Oh, and Gimli saying "Get ahold of yourself" every trip to the POTD! Everything else is brilliant in the sound/music department though.

#123 9 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

I'd say only the sword ramp feels a little clunky and maybe the right orbit. Other than that, it's pretty smooth if you have it leveled correctly.

There is nothing you can do about the shire, Gandalf loop, Gimli saucer, and sword ramp being clunky. I'll say it again...it doesn't hinder my desire to own one again someday (VE please) because the game is that good. People who say it's a smooth game are in denial.

#125 9 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

I dont find those shots clunky. Gimli saucer works like shit half of the time, so I guess i agree with that. Least the location is better so it doesn't act like the saucer in avengers. (shudder)

Agree on Avengers saucer...double shudder.

1 week later
#140 9 years ago
Quoted from Snurdley:

All this VE talk in this thread...jiFfM.jpg (Click image to enlarge)

Not sure why? I mean, this is a pinball forum, Stern is going to announce the next VE in a few months so the discussion is relevant, and it will be LOTRVE.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Rockford, IL
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods

Machine - For Sale
Anderson, SC
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Lombard, IL
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Fuzz

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 8.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

€ 7.50
6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fairfield, CT
$ 12.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RGP Models

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pimp77.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sm-vs-lotr?tu=pimp77 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.