View topic image gallery

Triple_facepalm.png
jiFfM.jpg
1er.jpg
Parappa.jpg
Lotr Orthanc Defender Installed.jpg
Lotr Orthanc Defender.jpg
image.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider nicoga3000.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 9 years ago

So I think I finally have a LOTR in line to purchase if I want it. However, I recently had the chance to play a lot of SM. I really enjoyed both, but for those who happen to own both, what are your thoughts on the two in single game collections?

E: Just so anyone new to the thread is wondering, I am getting my LOTR on Sunday, so consider this more an open discussion on two of Sterns best.

#6 9 years ago

I put about 10 games on each today. A few on one, moved to other, rinse, repeat. They're both do different but so good, haha.

From the sound of it, I can't go wrong with either, but it's just a matter of making a decision right now.

#9 9 years ago
Quoted from Atomicboy:

Lotr by a mile. Sm wizard is cool, but all games feel the same.

Thanks mate. That's good info for sure.

#13 9 years ago
Quoted from ninjabones:

I have both... Wife absolutely addicted to lotr. It's gotten a bit old for me. Spiderman never gets old. Great flow. Our third pin, IJ, never gets old either. My only regret was sellng AFM to a friend thinking the layout and play was too similar to spiderman. Wish i would have kept that pin.

Pleasing the wife is important. I should run the games by her to see what she thinks...

#31 9 years ago

Thanks for all the information and personal accounts. It's great to read about WHY you all prefer the game you do.

As it stands, I think I will likely go with my original choice of LOTR. I think the overall epic feel of the game is what is selling me on it. Also, the rules are fantastic, the music is crazy good (TABA), and the "feel" of it all jive with me. That's not to say I won't be hunting down a SM sometime after (or trading out once that time comes if it does) but I do think that after reading and thinking on it mkre, LOTR will be a better fit for me.

#34 9 years ago
Quoted from Caucasian2Step:

LotR is one of 3 Stern games I own (with TSPP and WPT, Thank you Keefer). It's a great game and offers numerous strategies to gameplay. Spidey is a good game, but I have seen too many people doc ock all day, so it's stock has gone down for me.
Play the games and go with the one you want to play the most! Or even better... get BOTH!

Both isn't an option at the moment, but I'm considering it as a 2-pin collection, ha. SM was a blast when I played it, but I think I prefer the long game style of LOTR and the "quest like" nature of it. It's such a deep and involved game. SM is so fantastic, but I think LOTR is winning out in my head.

#68 9 years ago

I should be getting my LOTR Sunday.

Definitely loving the open discussion on these two games, though. I never realized how good both were until playing them both!

#81 9 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Nope. Made shots are clunky. See Pimps post above.
Doesn't take away from the overall experience much though. Played LOTR again this last weekend. Every time I hear someone playing LOTR and listen to those great callouts I almost get chills in my spine. Best. Callouts. Ever.

I didn't get the feeling of clunky shots when I played it on location, but maybe I've just not played enough pinball.

Also, callouts are insane, and the TABA theme is just magic. I can't wait to get this machine and start playing, haha.

#83 9 years ago

That girl is a much better player than me to have made it to TABA!

And her calling it magical was icing on the cake!

#106 9 years ago

I don't entirely understand the description of clunky on LOTR. I've tried to read the post over and over, but I think it's entirely preferential, no?

#114 9 years ago

Thanks for that reply someoneelse. I guess I can see how those things translate to clunkiness. I actually don't mind it, but some folks probably can't stand that, haha.

Regarding the sound upgrade, the better speaker setup will yield better sound? I may have to add that to my list of mods...

1 week later
#133 9 years ago
Quoted from Lethal_Inc:

Both epic games, both great themes. Whichever is first released as a VE is the one I'm getting.

It's funny...I've got WTB ads out on both, but given what I heard prior to TPF and now with the TPF information, I may be better waiting to get a cheap original after Stern announces their next game. I have a strong hunch it will be one of these two titles. Strong enough where I may be comfortable just waiting it out before tossing money around, haha.

#145 9 years ago

Both games are on my radar, but finding them seems to be the challenge.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Machine - For Sale
Rockford, IL
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

9,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 16.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 25.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods

10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Deer Park, NY
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
WilliPinball Mods

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Fuzz

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 41.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fairfield, CT
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider nicoga3000.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sm-vs-lotr?tu=nicoga3000 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.