View topic image gallery

Triple_facepalm.png
jiFfM.jpg
1er.jpg
Parappa.jpg
Lotr Orthanc Defender Installed.jpg
Lotr Orthanc Defender.jpg
image.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jvspin.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#48 9 years ago

One very important aspect of LOTR that puts it above SM for me is the quality of the call outs and animations that accompany the modes (and all aspects of the game). Every shot made is rewarded with a cool sound/display effect culminating in a neat ending sequence and a Gift from the Elves if the mode is completed. Really makes you feel like you've accomplished something unlike a 2X or 3X shot bonus, that you probably wouldn't even know happened if you didn't know what to look for.

Really wish SM (and many of Lyman's games) gave better audio/display feedback to reward accomplishments. I know his games are more about getting high scores by way of intricate scoring rules but you can still make those scoring accomplishments special by adding some fanfare.

Another thing I dislike about SM is the 3-6-9-12 chopping wood rule style used to beat the villains.

#50 9 years ago
Quoted from Hudson:

Maybe your referring to better "Call Outs"? I was under the impression that the sound "quality" on LOTR (Whitestar system) was not as good as the newer SAM board system that SM uses.

Yes, better call outs is what I was referring to. Thanks for the clarification. Post edited.

#73 9 years ago
Quoted from LitzDoc:

I have an SM. I would like to know what you mean by the above. My strategyt is to just shoot the all white arrows then shoot a ramp to get 2x scoring then start Doc Oc multiball. This works well. I have not gotten that far because I am not that great a player. Any other strategies would be appreciated.

What I mean by that is each villain requires an increasing number of shots to advance to the next level.

Beating each saucer on AFM is similar. The difference with AFM is that it only happens for the saucer shot, the other goals in the game don't work like that.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods

€ 7.50
$ 12.95
$ 8.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Anderson, SC
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 25.00
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Denver, CO
$ 25.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
WilliPinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Rockford, IL
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 79.99
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

arcade-cabinets.com

$ 39.50
9,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jvspin.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sm-vs-lotr?tu=jvspin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.