View topic image gallery

Triple_facepalm.png
jiFfM.jpg
1er.jpg
Parappa.jpg
Lotr Orthanc Defender Installed.jpg
Lotr Orthanc Defender.jpg
image.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider baiter.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#23 9 years ago

I owned both, still have SM, LOTR is gone, but wouldn't mind having it back. When I had to get rid of a game from my collection it was going to be one or the other because both have relatively long ball times, meaning you have to be ready for a long game to step up to either game, LOTR more so. In other words I'd hesitate to recommend having both at the same time in a small collection, even though both are great games.

Quoted from Atomicboy:

Lotr by a mile. Sm wizard is cool, but all games feel the same.

My first reaction is that LOTR "games feel the same" to me too, but YMMV.

Whenever I play a pin with most modes requireing "hit x target/ramp y times to complete", it makes me cringe how un-creative it is compared to LOTR. It is partially why I'm fond of XM as many of the rules remind me of LOTR.

#28 9 years ago
Quoted from Atomicboy:

I'm surprised by this. SM is all about just starting everything. LOTR you have to complete everything, well nearly everything.

With LOTR I can simply shotgun the playfield, and I'll have ring modes and multiballs starting one after the other, eventually after all 3 multiballs have been started, and I get to DTR. On the other hand Valinor does require mode completions.

On SM I can get to Battle Royale by starting modes and not completing them just like DTR, but Super Hero wizard mode does require mode completions, like Valinor... but I may be wrong on the need to complete everything before reaching SH mode, so it's Valinor likely has stricter prereqs.

For most players wizard mode prereqs don't matter

#39 9 years ago
Quoted from Caucasian2Step:

Spidey is a good game, but I have seen too many people doc ock all day, so it's stock has gone down for me.

I noticed this in competitions as well because it is the safest/quickest route to multiball. Normally games are played differently in tournament mode vs at home where progress to wizard mode is the goal, so for home use this is less of a concern. It would be nice for Lyman to balance that out at some point.

#92 9 years ago
Quoted from Jvspin:

One very important aspect of LOTR that puts it above SM for me is the quality of the call outs and animations that accompany the modes (and all aspects of the game). Every shot made is rewarded with a cool sound/display effect culminating in a neat ending sequence and a Gift from the Elves if the mode is completed. Really makes you feel like you've accomplished something unlike a 2X or 3X shot bonus, that you probably wouldn't even know happened if you didn't know what to look for.

Agreed, SM was made in the dark ages of Stern DMD animations when they simply ripped video from the movies rather than custom dots which I'm thankful they finally returned to in 2012. SM/IM would be vastly improved with ColorDMD, but for some reason they did LOTR which is the very last Stern title I would have done.... it's almost too much color, like putting in chicklet/rainbow LEDs all over the LOTR playfield... it's just not that type of game.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
€ 7.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 18.95
$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fairfield, CT
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Machine - For Sale
Rockford, IL
10,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Juneau, WI
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 12.95
$ 41.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

9,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RGP Models

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider baiter.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sm-vs-lotr?tu=baiter and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.