New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 187379)

SM vs IM vs IJ vs Other

By RGAires

3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 82 posts
  • 30 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by 27dnast
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 10 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_0168 (resized).JPG
IMG_0167 (resized).JPG
IMG_0165 (resized).JPG
IMG_0164 (resized).JPG
IMG_0163 (resized).JPG
IMG_0162 (resized).JPG
IMG_0161 (resized).JPG
IMG_0160 (resized).JPG
IMG_0156 (resized).JPG
IMG_0155 (resized).JPG

There are 82 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 3 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

You are either a world class player or your game is set up way too easy if your average score is 100 mil after 500 plays.
I'm a decent player and my high in the original is like 160 mil or so. All factory settingsettings, 3 balls, with save post. I'd say I average about 20-30 mil, ill have to check my audits. If I miss the left center ramp, the ball will roll sdtm almost every time, tough game.

I don't know if SKB is world class, but he is crazy good. He understands games and scoring strategies that most people completely miss. His explanation of games in some club threads are amazing reads. Him having 100 mil as an average score from 500 plays actually sounds low to me. Maybe he needs to up his game

(His explanation of Star Trek is the whole reason I ended up loving the game)

#52 3 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

I don't know if SKB is world class, but he is crazy good. He understands games and scoring strategies that most people completely miss. His explanation of games in some club threads are amazing reads. Him having 100 mil as an average score from 500 plays actually sounds low to me. Maybe he needs to up his game

To be clear, I'm not disputing it at all, it's just a really high average after 500 plays. To be fair, this game is new to me and i dont know the scoring strategies, perhaps if I did id also have a higher average, though I doubt 100 mil as bricked shots either go sdtm or in the outlanes on my game. I have to nudge my game lot, but then the tilt gets hit. Rather than shorten flippers or remove the post, why not just increase the tilt sensisitivity.

#53 3 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

Agree... I get the feeling he's a pretty damn good player that sees games in a whole different way than I do. Love it!

#54 3 years ago

OP,

Have you seen the SM VE in person?

I had a chance to put about 10 games on one at Allentown last year... it's an absolutely gorgeous game. Art and toys look great. It's super bright in presentation. Dots are good. There's a ton to like about... and game play is super fun.

I don't think you could go wrong with that version.

#55 3 years ago

SM is boring and sounds/music are repetitive and annoying.
IJ is a great mode based game so if you like that it's fine.
IM is just the better game of the history of pinball
Just my opinion, but i love so much IM that if i have to keep just one game it will be IM.
Just put a shaker and a better cabinet speaker, turn up the volume and enjoy the adrenaline rush

#56 3 years ago
Quoted from Shadrac:

SM is boring and sounds/music are repetitive and annoying.
IJ is a great mode based game so if you like that it's fine.
IM is just the better game of the history of pinball
Just my opinion, but i love so much IM that if i have to keep just one game it will be IM.
Just put a shaker and a better cabinet speaker, turn up the volume and enjoy the adrenaline rush

But in a situation of "one and only" doesnt get only fast..!?
I really like the rush adrenaline of it... but...

#57 3 years ago

You can have IM as an only pin, why not? Rules are not so shallow and it's always a challenge unlike some modes based game. And it's a great multiplayer game.
Everything is perfect for me in this pin; music, callouts, flow, speed... Try to stack a double scoring with Do or die and after try to finish Jericho in one ball, and you will tell me if it's "shallow"

#58 3 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

Thanks man! ...and yes, I will 'up my game' maybe I'll post audits at 1000 plays and see how they fair to these first 500

I've had the game a little over 5 months, at 500 plays, that's roughly 20-25 games a week. When you have a small collection like I do, I get to be more focused on the game, rules, etc... a lot more than if it were in a larger collection. I also owned the original SM twice, once in 2008 and another time around 2013. So I know the game.

That all said, one of my goals this year is to get in a pinball league and see how I fair up at a more competitive level. But, I'm in 2 soccer leagues, have a wife and son with another on the way next month, and work a ton. Plus, the pinball league id join is 45 mins from work and the opposite direction of home, which makes a 10-11pm 1hr45m drive home a bit less appealing.

As for IM - I owned It twice - the original and the vault. It did not last long at all in my small collection of 2. As much as I love IM, and it is fun, I just don't recommend it for a single pin collection. There's more to do and more strategies with SM.

Quoted from 27dnast:

OP,
Have you seen the SM VE in person?
I had a chance to put about 10 games on one at Allentown last year... it's an absolutely gorgeous game. Art and toys look great. It's super bright in presentation. Dots are good. There's a ton to like about... and game play is super fun.
I don't think you could go wrong with that version.

dude, you're so spot on. Game is so good! i owned the original twice and the theme, art, sounds, etc... were not for me. The SMVE took everything I hated about the original and feels like they custom tailored it for me. I love it. I understand a lot of people hate it and that's fine, if you don't like the comic appeal - get the original. Options are sometimes a good thing

#59 3 years ago

You've got three heroes here. Ironman, Spiderman, and a man named after a dog.

Iron is hard and cold.

Spiders protect you from other bugs but they're creepy.

Dogs are loyal and amazing.

Indiana all the way!

#60 3 years ago

They've all got great call outs. Can't think of what's better.

#61 3 years ago

There are some seriously some bad advise here. You said you like fast games...stay away from Indy. Aside from a great theme it's a widebody with a weird design. It's not fast. I admire SKB's breakdown of the rules but by removing the center post and adding alternate flippers you're basically saying the game is flawed in stock condition. That leaves IM..which is not a great one and only pin...not sure if one even exists. I find I would get bored of any one game collection. So my advice buy the one you enjoy playing..you will get bored either way.

#63 3 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

There are some seriously some bad advise here. You said you like fast games...stay away from Indy. Aside from a great theme it's a widebody with a weird design. It's not fast.

I really wish you lived closer to me. I'd have you over to play mine so you could eat those words.

#64 3 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

I really wish you lived closer to me. I'd have you over to play mine so you could eat those words.

Are you really trying to argue IJ is fast? LOL! The only fast shots on the game are alternating the ramps. Drop that baby in the pops and you can go take a crap and get back before the ball finishes up in the pops and dribbles out the left side under the POS (I mean POA).

#65 3 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

. I admire SKB's breakdown of the rules but by removing the center post and adding alternate flippers you're basically saying the game is flawed in stock condition.

Absolutely, but don't tell Steve Ritchie I said that And there's nothing wrong with making a game harder or even easier to compliment the ruleset for your skill level. Keefer has even said this before (I believe here on pinside), something to the matter of not understanding why more people don't tweak their games harder and adjust the factory rules easier to shorten up ball times - I think it was in an LOTR discussion. I even heard he removed the center post from his hobbit test machine when building the ruleset. That's why there's adjustments to be made in pinball. And on SM, I'd rather make the flipper gap and center post harder than the outlanes - I just find it more fun and I've tested both when I owned original SM. I used to get so much flack on pinside for me bashing SM back in the day. It's just not a fun game when it's setup so easy that every game is long and repetitious and being able to have any and all multipliers lit at will.

i find it funny when people with 10+ pin collections think they know what a one pin lineup is like and what pin would be the best to have. I've had a 2-pin lineup for awhile now (used to be 3 a year ago, and was up to 5 before that). The bottom line is I don't know what tastes the OP has, he wanted an opinion for his own insight on these 3 pins; having experience with 2 of those 3 in a small (2 pin) lineup, I felt compelled to add my feedback. He can take it or leave it, it's no skin off my nose. I just love pinball and like to share my stories to those I relate with when I can.

#66 3 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

Are you really trying to argue IJ is fast? LOL! The only fast shots on the game are alternating the ramps. Drop that baby in the pops and you can go take a crap and get back before the ball finishes up in the pops and dribbles out the left side under the POS (I mean POA).

Yes it's fast. You named the one slow part of the whole game. Again, if you're ever in my neck of the woods, you're welcome to stop by and see what I mean.

#67 3 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Yes it's fast. You named the one slow part of the whole game. Again, if you're ever in my neck of the woods, you're welcome to stop by and see what I mean.

I know IJ, believe me. I've owned two of them. One had a restored pf that was like glass. It's still a slow game. It's a wide body with an open pf. It's just a fact, man.

#68 3 years ago

It's really not. And I'm a speed freak. We'll agree to disagree...won't be the first time!

#69 3 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

It's really not. And I'm a speed freak. We'll agree to disagree...won't be the first time!

LOL...or the last!

#70 3 years ago

I love IJ but it isn't a super fast machine...other than off the drops which give you a ball save anyway

#71 3 years ago

All the IJ ive played were slow as shit then i got one from a buddy and put the front leg adjusters all the way in and rears as tall as they would go. Angle ended up at 7.2 and game is definitely not slow anymore. Its not GOT fast but its alot faster then any IJ ive ever played before by far.

#72 3 years ago
Quoted from Phbooms:

All the IJ ive played were slow as shit then i got one from a buddy and put the front leg adjusters all the way in and rears as tall as they would go. Angle ended up at 7.2 and game is definitely not slow anymore. Its not GOT fast but its alot faster then any IJ ive ever played before by far.

A clean, waxed, and properly adjusted IJ should play quite fast. As with any game that's popular on location people will base their opinions off poorly setup and dirty games. That being said any opinions that the layout is bad are totally fair. There's really only one long shot, and with poor aim the ball can just bounce around in the mid-field a bunch doing nothing. When the game is setup right and you're hitting the shots, it's one of the best.

I still think as per OP's question it all comes down to whatever theme they like the most.

#73 3 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

There are some seriously some bad advise here. You said you like fast games...stay away from Indy. Aside from a great theme it's a widebody with a weird design. It's not fast. I admire SKB's breakdown of the rules but by removing the center post and adding alternate flippers you're basically saying the game is flawed in stock condition. That leaves IM..which is not a great one and only pin...not sure if one even exists. I find I would get bored of any one game collection. So my advice buy the one you enjoy playing..you will get bored either way.

Smart words i guess... Maybe im going to by for less price, 2 machines insted of one, a bsd and a shadow

#74 3 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Absolutely, but don't tell Steve Ritchie I said that And there's nothing wrong with making a game harder or even easier to compliment the ruleset for your skill level. Keefer has even said this before (I believe here on pinside), something to the matter of not understanding why more people don't tweak their games harder and adjust the factory rules easier to shorten up ball times - I think it was in an LOTR discussion. I even heard he removed the center post from his hobbit test machine when building the ruleset. That's why there's adjustments to be made in pinball. And on SM, I'd rather make the flipper gap and center post harder than the outlanes - I just find it more fun and I've tested both when I owned original SM. I used to get so much flack on pinside for me bashing SM back in the day. It's just not a fun game when it's setup so easy that every game is long and repetitious and being able to have any and all multipliers lit at will.
i find it funny when people with 10+ pin collections think they know what a one pin lineup is like and what pin would be the best to have. I've had a 2-pin lineup for awhile now (used to be 3 a year ago, and was up to 5 before that). The bottom line is I don't know what tastes the OP has, he wanted an opinion for his own insight on these 3 pins; having experience with 2 of those 3 in a small (2 pin) lineup, I felt compelled to add my feedback. He can take it or leave it, it's no skin off my nose. I just love pinball and like to share my stories to those I relate with when I can.

Thats it, you have said it all, and thanks for your advice.

#75 3 years ago
Quoted from RGAires:

Maybe im going to by for less price, 2 machines insted of one, a bsd and a shadow

This is a great combo right here. I had TS and BSD in a line up for quite awhile. Trying to line everything up to get the triple multi ball stack on BSD is infuriating but when it happens it's awesome. Definitely has that IM vibe of simple but difficult rules.
TS has more depth, lots of ways to approach the game to get high scores or try and complete modes etc to get to final battle and it can have more of a quest type feel which I like from time to time.
I eventually sold both. But I would take either one back if one popped up close by in good shape for a fair price.
I currently have IMVE, AC/DC prem and Metpro. It's a fun line up. But I've had it for almost a year and something has to move. AC/DC will probably stay awhile. And lately I have fallen back in love with IMVE. So I'm thinking I may try and move my Metpro for either a SM or add some cash and try and do TWD prem.

#76 3 years ago
Quoted from rawbars:

This is a great combo right here. I had TS and BSD in a line up for quite awhile. Trying to line everything up to get the triple multi ball stack on BSD is infuriating but when it happens it's awesome. Definitely has that IM vibe of simple but difficult rules.
TS has more depth, lots of ways to approach the game to get high scores or try and complete modes etc to get to final battle and it can have more of a quest type feel which I like from time to time.
I eventually sold both. But I would take either one back if one popped up close by in good shape for a fair price.
I currently have IMVE, AC/DC prem and Metpro. It's a fun line up. But I've had it for almost a year and something has to move. AC/DC will probably stay awhile. And lately I have fallen back in love with IMVE. So I'm thinking I may try and move my Metpro for either a SM or add some cash and try and do TWD prem.

My big issue with those 2, is that i already had them.. i want to try something else, but yes, 2 great machines, bsd and ts.

#77 3 years ago

Well In that case yeah I would probably go with something new too. I was pretty much over my IMVE. I felt like I had seen everything I was capable of doing on the machine. My scores hadn't gotten any better in well over a year. It was on the chopping block.

Then I set Jericho to carry over from ball to ball instead of ending if you don't beat it on one ball. I still haven't beat it but it gave me something within my reach to shoot for. Since then I have enjoyed playing it much more. And I managed to start double scoring and nail the do or die shot for the first time ever the other day.

So now I am flipping back and forth between trading IMVE plus a little cash for a nice SM. Or trading Metpro plus more cash for a TWD prem. Either way I need a change. Eventually evrery line up will get stale.

#78 3 years ago

So I guess to answer your question I don't think I would enjoy IMVE in a 1 pin line up. I would need a change of pace from time to time. I had a LOTR and I also wouldn't want it as my only pin. The games are too long. I feel like SM may be similar. I hear great things about TWD. I have only played the pro version. I think TWD premium would be worth looking into. I know I am. And it seems to be one of the recent pins that hasn't had quality control issues.

#79 3 years ago

TWD pro or premium imo is great due to the rules.

The layout is fun and different fast games, but what really makes it special is the excellent dots, sound effects and available sound packages with both redone callous and music.

What really sets it high is that it's not the same game over and over. SM and IM while great is more or less just completing the same 4-5 tasks over and over again to get deeper and score.

I don't feel like you need a premium TWD it's probably nice, but if you can find a good pro don't feel like it's much worse than the premium

TWD is more like Tspp in that you can focus on one objective more than another if you wish to get to a different part of the game.

#80 3 years ago
Quoted from rai:

TWD pro or premium imo is great due to the rules.
The layout is fun and different fast games, but what really makes it special is the excellent dots, sound effects and available sound packages with both redone callous and music.
What really sets it high is that it's not the same game over and over. SM and IM while great is more or less just completing the same 4-5 tasks over and over again to get deeper and score.
I don't feel like you need a premium TWD it's probably nice, but if you can find a good pro don't feel like it's much worse than the premium
TWD is more like Tspp in that you can focus on one objective more than another if you wish to get to a different part of the game.

TWD is a great pin yes, i also agree, but is not very familiar game you know... thats my only issue about that
I also like POTC, but people say is so stop and go.."..

#81 3 years ago
Quoted from RGAires:

TWD is a great pin yes, i also agree, but is not very familiar game you know... thats my only issue about that
I also like POTC, but people say is so stop and go..

#82 3 years ago
Quoted from RGAires:

I also like POTC, but people say is so stop and go.."..

For some "stop and go" is negative... for others, it's a positive.

You gotta roll with what you prefer. Me, I love games with stop an go.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 279.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods
Apparel - Unisex
ArcadeMade
There are 82 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside