12 years ago

Topic Stats

• 5 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 12 years ago by c3trey
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider wizzardz.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 12 years ago

I've been playing with the pf lighting and changing out for LED. Lots of interesting changes can be had with simple lighting changes.

I originally bought a set of (super) white LEDs for the villain center pf inserts (lit when completing a mode) as well as the white spidey arrows. All showed some amount of ghosting (as expected, really).

One thing I really noticed was a strobe effect of the villain inserts when at steady-on state after changing to LED. This isn't ghosting - just the opposite. When the villain has been defeated, the incandescent light shows a steady insert light. When the LED insert is lit, it has a rather high frequency strobe effect to it. This isn't just a flicker when viewed indirectly, but a very noticeable flicker.

I bought some non-ghosting LEDs (white and colored) and they seem to work very nice on the backboard villain modes, spidey arrows, and pf villains. The non-ghosting seem to lessen the strobe effect as well, but not entirely (perhaps because they aren't as bright).

I since looked at a steady-on goblin incandescent inserts, and noticed that if observed closely it exhibits the same strobe but its not observed at any distance. I'm assuming the slow response of the incandescent lends to less noticeable strobe effect...but I guess I'm wonder why all the insert lights seem to strobe rather than just a steady current?

#3 12 years ago
Quoted from SealClubber:

I am going to try the no-flix LEDs

but are they non-ghosting? Can't see giving up one for the other

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods
Under cabinet
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com
Armor and blades

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider wizzardz.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sm-villain-insert-led-strobe?tu=wizzardz and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.