Topic poll

“Which pin is BETTER?????”

• SM VE 20 votes
    31%
  • TWD premium 45 votes
    69%

(65 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

#1 7 years ago

Wanted to get opinions regarding these two pins. I had owned an original SM for a while, biggest dislikes were 1,2,3 the DMD display animations, maybe long ball times, maybe same-ish front end of the game (what I mean is that before any wizard modes the game seems to play out very similar each time) but I never got deep enough to see the back end of the game.

I loves the flow and the ramps and the JK Simmons callouts (sadly lost to the VE).

----

TWD premium, didn't love the moving BG ramp seemed to make the ramp shot wonky. But I do t have enough time on the pin honestly to form a true opinion.

I dislike the Well walker figurine and the barn (seems cheap and another weakish bash toy), but the layout was interesting, the rules are intense and the game seems brutal in a fun way.

Neither game looks like the best art package to me, but both are acceptable.

–-----

I wanted to get some collective thoughts what's better, more fun, better likely to keep decent value? Also, just saw the Color DMD for SM VE looks fantastic, I think TWD also has good dots as well.

#2 7 years ago

I just picked up a TWD premium - game is super fun with layers of strategy. As for ramp... If you go to the owners thread (read the last 15 posts) you'll see the help I got tweaking the ramp to make it shoot better.... Big improvement... So don't let that be a deterrent.

One of the bigger surprises about TWD is the ability to get some satisfying combo shots going. The game can be a bit choppy/bash oriented but definitely has some decent flow. Don't regret buying at all.

Obviously, Spider-Man is a tried and true title. IMO, the VE shoots super well and is gorgeous. I got sometime on one at Allentown (short lines - lots of play. . Great dots, lighting is sharp.

I don't think you can go wrong with either title...

#3 7 years ago

I'm going through this debate between GB Premium and TWD Premium.

SM VE is a nice looking game with proven code and a great layout. TWD will give you a darker theme with shorter ball times. I love the look of TWD Premium, which is in sharp contrast with SM VE.

For me, I'd go with TWD which will likely have color dots soon. But if SM is your thing, go for it. Can't go wrong with either.

#4 7 years ago

Thanks also will consider TWD pro but since the cost I wanted to take the price difference out of the equation.

Poll added please vote!

#5 7 years ago

I think - in the home - the TWD premium is the way to go. Huge difference in the light show, etc...

I'm sure you know about all of the differences across the board... you definitely get different ball movement with the drop target on the right and the extra magnet in front of the well walker.

#6 7 years ago

Both great games, but when I look at your collection I see you already have ST and ACDC. SM would be a third game with a very similar layout and feel for you. So ... in your case I'd say go with the TWD for a different type of layout to learn and master.

#7 7 years ago
Quoted from rai:

I had owned an original SM for a while, biggest dislikes were the DMD display animations

Color DMD will largely resolve this issue on original SM. TWD layout is unique, and SM layout is not (same as your ST). Same software designer on both games so you should expect similar depth/breadth of rules. Not sure you could go wrong either way, but since you already had SM and have ST, TWD would be a fresher choice for you.

#8 7 years ago

I have to go with TWD for my vote... I think SM is a great game, but TWD has a different layout and great rules. Games can get pretty intense and its a nice change from the music/superhero themes that dominate the market.

#9 7 years ago

Walking dead pro gets my vote. Great game..not a fan of the bicycle girl bash toy on the prem, kills the flow.

#10 7 years ago

Hands down TWD ..... premium or pro. SM is a great game and I owned one for about 7 years. But its too repetitive and the ball times are way too long in a home setting. I would play one game and walk away.

Never watched a single episode of TWD but just bought a NIB premium. Played a pro, put up a which game to buy thread, and bought a premium two weeks ago.

All I can say is the game keeps calling you back for more. Unique layout, outstanding game play , and completed ruleset.

#11 7 years ago

I own perfect versions of BSM and TWDLE. As good as TWD is for layout, rules, intensity, I'd recommend SMVE. I think SM/SMVE is the second best game in existence: super accessible, awesome shot feel, good dots and call outs and music on both versions, great rules, (aside from randomness of add a ball?) Spidey takes heat for being easy because it's easy to do well, but it's not like it is easy to get to super hero. Ball times can be long if you're good, but that's why you can A remove middle post and B move outlanes up. 5-10 minutes worth of work. Cover middle hole with Mylar if you do so.

Aside from "easier" being a flaw, I'd say SM/VE is flawless.

TWD on the other hand is fantastic but I consider the reliance on the right flipper and drop targets a flaw, along with the numerous potential adjustments it may need to its hardware.

Now, all this typed- it appears you already have ST. ST and SM layouts are unfortunately very similar so maybe you should just get TWD

flip a coin, you will win either way

#12 7 years ago

SMVE get's my vote. Owned a TWDLE and found it more frustrating then fun. The bicycle girl ramp rattles and is not smooth and the right ramp you can't combo without it flying off of it. The riot shot also often comes right back at you and down the right drain because stern was to cheap to put a gate behind the barn. I also am not a huge fan of 3 giant bash toys. TWD has fantastic code though, no doubt about that. Some of the best code and dots in pinball. SMVE is buttery smooth and if you open up the outlanes it is a normal ball length game. Lots of shots, lots of toys, plays like pinball perfection. The VE looks and plays great. TWD beats it in the creative code department, but at nothing else.

#13 7 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

SMVE get's my vote. Owned a TWDLE and found it more frustrating then fun. The bicycle girl ramp rattles and is not smooth and the right ramp you can't combo without it flying off of it. The riot shot also often comes right back at you and down the right drain because stern was to cheap to put a gate behind the barn

very strong points. Additionally frustrating: TWD can punish you on "successful" shots: 1) Drop targets- don't know where it is going off them. 2) Prison magnet can throw down the middle (even if you "pulse"). 3-5) Center drains and/or forced warnings out of the pops (plunge/riot/barn). 6) much more rarely but still possible the well Walker magnet can cause an unearned drain. These things can happen even on a well adjusted game. I think TWD has so many fans because that lure of "maybe I can get the best of it this time and actually get something going and use my multipliers with tower 2x stacked during a dead feature". It really feels like you're trying to "survive"

#14 7 years ago

^^^

Quoted from ATLpb:

very strong points. Additionally frustrating: TWD can punish you on "successful" shots: 1) Drop targets- don't know where it is going off them. 2) Prison magnet can throw down the middle (even if you "pulse"). 3-5) Center drains and/or forced warnings out of the pops (plunge/riot/barn). 6) much more rarely but still possible the well Walker magnet can cause an unearned drain. These things can happen even on a well adjusted game. I think TWD has so many fans because that lure of "maybe I can get the best of it this time and actually get something going and use my multipliers with tower 2x stacked during a dead feature". It really feels like you're trying to "survive"

^^ Agree with all of this.

As to which pin to select

TWD prem is perfect theme for pinball - killing the dead is human nature after all, it's in our dna. Always on and flashing red lights disturb your body's natural circadian rhythm, it's no wonder you are left on edge. Add forboding music with a pulse and that damn munching of hungry dead in the background worms into your brain (anybody else feel hungry after playing an hour of TWD?). Fantasitc rules and mb's - this game is ADDICTIVE. SMve is a good choice too, although I greatly prefer SM.

#15 7 years ago

Having the games as you do, I see SMVE as a stunning game, but one with a bit less, "One more Game" appeal.
Damn Fun, Stunning, but once accomplished, is a flow, shot, points game.....and one of the best.
However, TWD is to me, unlike any other game. From theme to music, lights and code, its a game, with much to focus on, and an insane batch of multiball madness. Dark fun....zombies coming at you.....It grabs me long and hard, and I can easily lose a couple hours in play...well that could be because I just suck.

If you dont like TWD Theme, do SMVE.
If you want something so very different, in the way it challenges you TWD.

The ramp is not an issue on all games, but should it be one you have, there are fixes.
Well Walker with a magnet changes the game alot and the Prison, well the last code fixed alot, but its there and seemingly
a bit less focus on, with everything else happening.

Two very different "feelings" when one plays, and based and you and your family....the answer might
come more easily.

TWD gets my vote as a game. SMVE gets my vote for a family fun game.
Young kids are not so thrilled here, on TWD.

#16 7 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Wanted to get opinions regarding these two pins. I had owned an original SM for a while, biggest dislikes were 1,2,3 the DMD display animations, maybe long ball times, maybe same-ish front end of the game (what I mean is that before any wizard modes the game seems to play out very similar each time) but I never got deep enough to see the back end of the game.
I loves the flow and the ramps and the JK Simmons callouts (sadly lost to the VE).
----
TWD premium, didn't love the moving BG ramp seemed to make the ramp shot wonky. But I do t have enough time on the pin honestly to form a true opinion.
I dislike the Well walker figurine and the barn (seems cheap and another weakish bash toy), but the layout was interesting, the rules are intense and the game seems brutal in a fun way.
Neither game looks like the best art package to me, but both are acceptable.
–-----
I wanted to get some collective thoughts what's better, more fun, better likely to keep decent value? Also, just saw the Color DMD for SM VE looks fantastic, I think TWD also has good dots as well.

I'm kind of in the same boat. Sold my TWD PREM a few mos back to pay off some expenses and now coming close to budget in another new stern and I'm looking straight at TWD as the top contender. Reason being, it's simply Lyman's best ruleset ever. And since Lyman did MM, ACDC, MET, etc...I'm gonna say TWD has the best rules of any pin ever. Or at the very least tied with keefers LOTR (or WOZ even?). I'm leaning towards a pro this time around though, I've played the pro on location and had just as much fun (and frustration) on it as I did my premium. I'm just not seeing the extra features worth it in my eyes value wise. That said, I hear there's possibly another update in the mix so maybe even more attention will be given to the premium features.

I also have an SMVE on the table as a potential purchase. I've owned an original in the past and what allured me to sell back then was the sounds and call outs mostly. But long gameplay also factored into it. But, that doesn't mean the ruleset is long and drawn out, it's primarily the gameplay. And there are two fixes for this; remove center post, add lightning flippers. I've played SM with lightning flippers (when I bought it the second time) and it was a blast! Unfortunately I got it from a smoker home with ashes on the pf and kept getting sick so couldn't get past that smoke so sold it. Told myself I wouldn't get another primarily cause of the movie themed call outs, art, and dmd. But low and behold, here comes SMVE! Woo hoo! So ultimately I'm torn right now. When I have the funds ready, I think it'll come to which is more available.

Anyway, I think TWD would compliment your lineup more than SMVE. TWD is not like anything you own, but SMVE is.

My 2 cents.

SKB

#17 7 years ago

A little attention to simple tweaks the the left ramp and trial/error leveling and the TWD plays awesome.

#18 7 years ago

I couple of points all my pins are as new as can be, I mean 'like new' except for Tspp and SM (which I sold) nothing 'wrong' with the slightly used pins but they were not 'new' and therefore when I got the chance to sell SM (I sold it in anticipation of the SMVE) but the price of SMVE caught me off guard. But I replaced SM with like new Met pro (chrome, shaker etc.. for the same price).

So while I didn't want to sell SM, I made a business decision, sold it for maybe a tad less than I paid, after I added LEDs probably lost $300. But my point is, I wanted a 'new' SM.

The one I had was the dim orange (I call it orange grey display) and the animations were not discernible at all. Now with the color DMD option on both SM versions that would not be as big a determent as the old display. But I still prefer the new dots on SMVE.

With TWD, I think it's probably along the lines of there will be some things that are not great but overall the game will overcome those things (if it's fun to play). I mean TZ having the ball drain out of the pops or IJ having the POA which worked ok but was not the best. I mean some games will have some bad parts but can still be great games.

But perhaps as Eskaybee says maybe TWD pro might be the path of least resistance.

Looking at the options

Old SM even if well kept will be played for 7 years already and likely to look not as great as a new or like new TWD pro (for similar price) I know HOU pins can look like new, I have a PotC that looks basically new, but this is not my experience when buying 7-8 year old used pins.

Now both SMVE and TWD premium are a good $1800-$2000 more than the respective used SM or TWD pro.

I am not exactly poor, but when I'm looking at this rationally sometimes less is ok.

I bought XMLE because there was no premium and I wanted the full feature game, but I'd take a bath on the resale, I am keeping it, but had I bought XM pro for $2000 less I would be much more able to sell it for low $4000's maybe lost $400 while XMLE maybe lost $1200.

I think with TWD pro it's probably 95% of what I'd get with the premium. Yes it lacks some nice features but it also lacks some meh features. I found with Met pro that I am just as happy to have the pro (missing the spinners, hammer etc.. but the overall bones are substantially the same).

If anything I suppose to say, I am leaning towards

1)TWD pro (cheaper than the other two).
2)SMVE (just love the comic theme) plus I think it will be a little bit rare since people already have the regular SM or are scared off from the price.
3)TWD premium (I thinking it's worth another $1600 more than TWD pro? IOW while I may prefer TWD, maybe I'm leaning towards the pro).
4) nothing at the moment, let me see what comes out next or what comes up for sale that may be a great deal.

#19 7 years ago

I am surprised to see that TWD has the lead in the poll, maybe it's due to my lineup and having owned SM already that people are leaning towards me getting TWD.

#20 7 years ago

Spider-Man is one of the best games Stern has made. The new Vault Edition looks excellent. I'm actually considering it myself. The new DMD animations, comic book art, and LED lighting really add to the game. But TWD is a great game too so you can't go wrong either way.

#21 7 years ago

Don't be surprised, the walking dead is a killer game.

#22 7 years ago

Hey Rai - Just got some good time in on a Pro on location...

The premium and pro play completely different. I gotta say, the lack of Walker bombs, WW magnet, spinners, and the dynamic premium GI lighting and color changing inserts was pretty glaring... So was lack of interactive fish tank. Is the pro still fun? Yes. Is the premium gameplay better, yes.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Cento Creations

9,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Sacramento, CA
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 55.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 19.99
Cabinet - Other
PinballGeek

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 25.50
$ 25.95
$ 19.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods

$ 109.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lewiston, NY
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Las Vegas, NV
7,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 8.95
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sm-ve-or-twd-premium and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.