49%
  • White Water 36 votes
    51%

(71 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpg
#1 9 years ago

Have leads on both. Really want a Wh20, but could get a sm for about the same price as a wh20.

I have time on both, but not enough to really make a decision. I tend to stay clear of stern games and I love the feel of the 90s WPC titles.

Thoughts?

#2 9 years ago

I'd go with the Spiderman I've had 2 Whitewater's and they are great machines but you'll get way more excitement out of Spiderman and its a much deeper game I used to be all about Bally Williams pins but now I'm Stern fan I just turned down a decent trade offer of a nice attack from Mars for my Spiderman for those same reasons not to mention Spiderman is quite a few years newer

image.jpgimage.jpg
#3 9 years ago

Tough decision, I have both. I end up playing Spiderman more, but WH20 gets a lot more attention when I have people over.

#4 9 years ago

I've owned both and loved both, I still own one (WH20) but had to move SM out to make room for a different pin. Having said this, if you can get a SM for the same cost as a WH20, then I'd recommend going with the SM.

#5 9 years ago

A good comparison. I'm slightly in favor of Wh20. But Either game is a player.

Of course the correct answer is BOTH GAMES!

#6 9 years ago

For the same price - Spiderman.

#7 9 years ago

There is a Spiderman in our local 'barcade'. I have enjoyed playing it a few times but it seems to have very long ball times. After one game I walk away having got a replay. I am not the world's best pinball player -- does it have very long ball times?

Also the artwork on the plastics seemed very half-toney -- are those the original graphics? They don't look very good.

#8 9 years ago

I was a huge spiderman fan as a kid. I have almost a complete set of the original comics. Also box after box of old toys still in the original packaging.

However, there is something about wh20 and it's originality that I prefer.

As wh20 are going for around 4k these days, sm are not too far off. I can get a sm for about that right now locally. That's why I ask.

#9 9 years ago

I've owned both. Sold both. Just picked up another WH20. I doubt I'd buy another SM - I didn't enjoy that game (it didn't last long in my collections).

Just got WH2O up and running last week - love the ramps, shots, etc. Games can be fast.

Good luck with your decision.

#10 9 years ago

I owned both. Got rid of SM with no regrets. WH2O will never leave. SM is fun to shoot but doesn't feel all that unique to me. WH2O always feel very fresh and the ramps are a blast to shoot.

#11 9 years ago

Love to play Spidey on location, fun game!

But have an WH2O in the gameroom

#12 9 years ago
Quoted from PinCrush:

SM is fun to shoot but doesn't feel all that unique to me. WH2O always feel very fresh and the ramps are a blast to shoot.

That pretty much sums up how I feel about it as well.

#13 9 years ago

Going with the wh20

Now just to find one!

#14 9 years ago

WH2O is a pinball masterpiece in every way- Original theme, game play, great original ramps, deep enough, and great call-outs. Nordman really nailed this one. This should be a top 5 rated pin. This game will never leave my collection. I have never owned Spiderman but have always wanted one. I enjoy playing it and the shots are fun. Where it falls a bit short for me is in the call outs and layout is not very original. It is very deep and great layout even if a little familiar. It is about #15 rated for me. WH2O gets the nod.

#15 9 years ago
Quoted from Blackbeard:

Have leads on both. Really want a Wh20, but could get a sm for about the same price as a wh20.
I have time on both, but not enough to really make a decision. I tend to stay clear of stern games and I love the feel of the 90s WPC titles.
Thoughts?

You answered your own question. Whitewater wins.

I had both...still have Whitewater. Spidey's still an awesome game ,but Whitewater is just a "magical" & fun classic game! So unique...there's nothing like it.

#16 9 years ago
Quoted from Blackbeard:

As wh20 are going for around 4k these days, sm are not too far off. I can get a sm for about that right now locally. That's why I ask.

How is it possible to find a Spidey for $4k? I can't seem to find one for that price.What is wrong with it?

#17 9 years ago

I have both, love both, if I ever had to get rid of one it would be SM, a GREAT pin yet a similar layout to other fan layout pins.

WH2O, there is nothing else like it!

#18 9 years ago

I agree, where do people find a decent playing SM for 4k? All of them that I see are 5k +. I bought a very nice one for 5200 early last year and after about 7 months sold it for 5k with a bunch of extras like shaker and interactive flasher kits. I thought I sold it for a decent price but it still took 2-3 weeks to sell. The big problem with SM is the long ball times. Still a great game but in about 6 months I got somewhat tired of it. I already own LOTR and love it, even though it is a very long game. In a smaller collection I don't need a bunch of deep games with crazy ball times. A good playing WH20 is fast and flows pretty well, certainly not as deep but the game is still very fun! I feel that SM would be a better theme for younger kids and family.

#19 9 years ago

Can't go wrong with either game.
I have owned both and they are both fantastic games but the nod goes to SM.

#20 9 years ago

SM easily...WH2O is too shallow.

#21 9 years ago

I have owned both, have had SM for 6 months or so (and it has flown by) and owned Whitewater for 7 or 8 years before selling...

Both great games. Sold Whitewater with no regrets; it just became too easy for me, and with only one real high scoring strategy (5x pf + MB) to go for every game, it just got old eventually. I certainly don't hate it, but I would much rather have a game that is constantly dropping rewards, or punishing bad moves rather than setting up an all or nothing stack (if it is a longer playing game... I can forgive EM's and IM for having that one thing to shoot for, if the entire game can often be only a few minutes long).

I guess you could argue Wet Willies is a secondary strategy, and it is a hoot, but lets face it... it is not 100 mill JP's

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Montpelier, VA
$ 25.95
Machine - For Sale
Sugarloaf, CO
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 12.95
$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 12.95
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Pimp

$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

Machine - For Sale
Rockford, IL
$ 34.99
Rubber/Silicone
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 60.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Machine - For Sale
Milford, CT
Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Z

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods

$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sm-or-wh20 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.