• ST 13 votes
    30%
  • SM 26 votes
    59%
  • AcDc 5 votes
    11%

(44 votes)

#1 10 years ago

I have not played either one but have a plan to, but wanted to get some preliminary opinions from people have played both, which is better and why?

I hear SM has great rules, but long ball times.

I like that ST is new probably has better light show, but I would put less faith in its code being finished to the point where everyone is happy. Also, a New game is better having less wear and tear.

I have both Tron, PotC and XM LE.

I prefer Tron, but like both XM LE and PotC fine as well.

I would also put AcDc in the discussion if you want to talk about it as well, but I am by far least interested in that as a theme or art package.

#2 10 years ago

SM has the best of "flow" of any pin I've ever played or seen, as many seem to get a pingasm over "flow" and "speed", if you like that, it doesn't get any better......and its cheaper

ST has the better light show, like Ac/dc and if they ever get the code done I'd consider selling my SM for the ST for something new and different. But Ac/dc is the best and its not close imo.

And SM has been out there several years, I'd take the "new owner orgasm effect" with a grain of salt....

#3 10 years ago
#4 10 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

SM has the best of "flow" of any pin I've ever played or seen, as many seem to get a pingasm over "flow" and "speed", if you like that, it doesn't get any better......and its cheaper
ST has the better light show, like Ac/dc and if they ever get the code done I'd consider selling my SM for the ST for something new and different. But Ac/dc is the best and its not close imo.
And SM has been out there several years, I'd take the "new owner orgasm effect" with a grain of salt....

ACDC?? I'd put that turd a distant third behind 1st place SM and 2nd place ST.

#5 10 years ago

As I've stated in at least 2 other threads with the exact same topic, SM is far more polished at this point, but ST pro is newer, the pro is cheaper, and software is still being finished. You can either go with what theme you prefer more, or you can buy SM now and trade it for an ST when code is considered finished to your liking.

#6 10 years ago

isn't SM more than a ST?

ST actually has good flow. I like both, but hard to say. You should almost play them.... SM looks like it has more to do, like the doc oc shot and the targets for sandman. Kind of a afm feel. ST is just flowy with ramps and loops, stand up targets. Both great games. I'd own both but for you, maybe SM

#7 10 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

ACDC?? I'd put that turd a distant third behind 1st place SM and 2nd place ST.

Haha....."turd"...come on pimp daddy, the music and rules are awesome! SM great too......but a distant 2nd

#8 10 years ago

I like SM, and as far as long ball times, who cares? It's a game in your house, I actually like some long gameplay on a home game.

#9 10 years ago
Quoted from nighttaco:

I like SM, and as far as long ball times, who cares? It's a game in your house, I actually like some long gameplay on a home game.

ST has long ball times too

#10 10 years ago

AC/DC is just badace.....Steve Richie as the Devil...that's what I would go with

#11 10 years ago

SM is classic.Grab one when you can.ST is just another cookie cutter game in the neverending line of sameness designs with incomplete codes.Gotta love the cabinet art on ST with portraits of the actors all over.

#12 10 years ago

I have XMEN and TRON just like you and Spiderman is my all time favorite (thought TRON as recently bumped Spidy to #2). I've played lots of ST both LE and PRO and think its a great game with potential but if I had to choose today I would pick spidy.

Play before you commit to anything. Its too much money to just get a game based on what other people like.

#13 10 years ago

Sold spiderman STRICKLY due to theme and own an STLE. THey don't play much alike, but ST is much better IMHO.
Code wise, probably spiderman, but ST will get polished.

#14 10 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Haha....."turd"...come on pimp daddy, the music and rules are awesome! SM great too......but a distant 2nd

LOL...I was just fishing for McCune's thumbs down, and he bit!!!!! Seriously, ACDC is third to SM and ST though to me.

#15 10 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

LOL...I was just fishing for McCune's thumbs down, and he bit!!!!! Seriously, ACDC is third to SM and ST though to me.

Yep, you can't put one past Jimmy Mac! But if you would have just said that Ac/dc sucks big donkey, except for the BIB, you would have gotten 10 thumbs up from the J mac crew.....

#16 10 years ago

SM wins first place. And although I am just finally learning AC/DC, I'd put it in second. Not a big fan of the band, but I am finally starting to understand it a bit and the rules are quite interesting. And (no shock if you have seen other posts from me about it), ST a distant turd... Oops, I mean third.

It is now very possible that 4 months from now I'll switch SM and AC/DC in that, but not quite yet.

#17 10 years ago

I voted for SM but meant to vote for ST. Dang plane ride is a little bumpy.

I've never gotten too motivated on SM and tend to dislike the art. ST looks very appealing.

#18 10 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Yep, you can't put one past Jimmy Mac! But if you would have just said that Ac/dc sucks big donkey, except for the BIB, you would have gotten 10 thumbs up from the J mac crew.....

Isn't he "a detective down in Texas"?

#19 10 years ago
Quoted from btw75:

I voted for SM but meant to vote for ST. Dang plane ride is a little bumpy.
I've never gotten too motivated on SM and tend to dislike the art. ST looks very appealing.

It wasn't an accident. God just corrected your folly.

SM all they way!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Trade
Machine - For Trade
West Chester, PA
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods

Machine - For Sale
Brooklyn, MI
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

arcade-cabinets.com

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

16,500 (Firm)
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Boulder, CO
$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Duke Pinball

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

arcade-cabinets.com

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 29.95
$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 29.95
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 6,595.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sm-or-st and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.