Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 51 posts
  • 35 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by DK
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

There are 51 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 7 years ago

I have played both but not more than a handful of times on either not enough to form an opinion and now have a chance to pick up on or the other. Prices are close enough that it doesn't matter, looking for your opinions on the game play from someone that has more experience than I on either pin.

Thanks

#2 7 years ago
Quoted from henhel:

I have played both but not more than a handful of times on either not enough to form an opinion and now have a chance to pick up on or the other. Prices are close enough that it doesn't matter, looking for your opinions on the game play from someone that has more experience than I on either pin.
Thanks

You are going to get an overwhelming response in favor of Spiderman.

I like them both and have been tempted to add SM to my collection also. I am even a comic book fan. That said I just like my POTC and don't see it leaving any time soon and still continue to pass on SM.

I think the reason I have a mental block from picking one up is the original code. If I had to hear "The power of the sun" line one more time I was going to puke. I think in a later code release you can skip it by hitting the flipper buttons but the original didn't and I hated it.

People will also say POTC is easy but they either have it set up easy or are just great players. I have never done gauntlet and have put hundreds of games on it.

#3 7 years ago

for me it is POTC - never get into Spiderman...

#4 7 years ago

Both are great, can't go wrong with either. Potc will hold value very well given more limited production run...if u care about such a thing.

#5 7 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

Both are great, can't go wrong with either. Potc will hold value very well given more limited production run...if u care about such a thing.

I thought they made way more POTC than SM, no?

As for which is better, they're about as evenly matched as games get in my opinion.

#6 7 years ago
Quoted from BeaglePuss:

I thought they made way more POTC than SM, no?
As for which is better, they're about as evenly matched as games get in my opinion.

I was including the VE, but nobody really knows since the numbers aren't released. Seems easier to find sm for around 4500 than potc.

#7 7 years ago

SM blows POTC out of the water in design, flow, rules, use of inserts and progression. POTC has very fun multiball rules + stacking and has a cool ship, but that's about it.

#8 7 years ago

Have owned both POTC is the better game and harder to find so if you have a chance grab one

#9 7 years ago

POTC is boring, one ball game. To me SM is better is every aspect except having a giant pirate ship.

#10 7 years ago
Quoted from Taxman:

You are going to get an overwhelming response in favor of Spiderman.

Well it definitely has not been that. To be honest I don't know which way to go. I do have young grandchildren so maybe POTC is the way to go.

#11 7 years ago

There isn't a single aspect of POTC that holds up against anything on Spider-Man. Spider-Man wins this by a mile. Better flow, better code, better challenge, far better voice work, and much more satisfying to play. Man, POTC has to be one of the most overrated games in the Stern release lineup. A couple of neat toys, but super boring code and almost totally devoid of challenge.

#12 7 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

POTC has to be one of the most overrated games in the Stern release lineup.

I give it a little credit for being a real oddball, but putting it up against SM isn't even fair.

His grandchildren MAY like it more though? It's got some wHimsey to it.

#13 7 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

There isn't a single aspect of POTC that holds up against anything on Spider-Man. Spider-Man wins this by a mile.

I know that when I go onto PAPA videos there are 12 videos to choose from on SM and just one on POTC, and POTC was never played in competition at PAPA, so I tend to believe that what you say is true. I am leaning towards SM, and it is the less expensive of the two.

#14 7 years ago

I have them both and have had each for a few years.

SM - Much, much better game for experienced player. Very long ball times.

POTC - huge draw (and huge fun) for casual players, the ship is a super cool toy. Chicks dig POTC.

As good as SM is, it's going to leave my collection before POTC because it is so rarely seen.

#15 7 years ago
Quoted from henhel:

I am leaning towards SM, and it is the less expensive of the two.

Oh lord if it's cheaper there's nothing to even think aboot.

#16 7 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

and almost totally devoid of challenge.

You must be an amazing player! I have played many many games and still struggle with sinking all the ships, and defeating Blackbeard, and crushing heart multi-ball to get the super jackpot, and completing the compass.

#17 7 years ago

Spider Man is much better. I Just upgraded mine to the Vault Edition. With that said, I still want a Pirates. Love theme, the movies, the ride. The theme probably trumps the gameplay, but it's not a bad pin. Also, it's very approchable for family and guests.

#18 7 years ago

I vote for spiderman,I bought a vault edition this year and very happy with it.I know there is people that like the original vs the vault version differently but both are great to me.Potc is a good game but just didn't keep me coming back for more like spidey always has.

#19 7 years ago

Right now I only own a Indy500 which is a hard fast pin so maybe POTC would be a good choice. I am all over the place with this. Thanks for all the opinions keep them coming because it will make it easier to decide.

#20 7 years ago

i had both brand new and got rid of both of them as the ball times are too long on both - this with the hardest settings - good for the grand kids though - both are actually good for grand kids. my kids liked POTC better - thanks ed

#21 7 years ago

SM.

#22 7 years ago

Spider-Man for me. POTC has good theme integration, looks great and a cool toy. However, I just felt that all I was doing was trying to sink the ship over and over.
I also feel that SM has an extremely similar layout to Star Trek if you've played that. In my book it would actually stay over Star Trek.

#23 7 years ago
Quoted from Butch2099:

Spider-Man for me. POTC has good theme integration, looks great and a cool toy. However, I just felt that all I was doing was trying to sink the ship over and over.

It's a lot more than that. You need to sink the ship four times to complete one side of the compass, there's a lot more to it than that to complete the compass. Play the game with the outlanes wide open, much tougher game. It's a toss up for me, currently own Potc and wish I had a SM.

#24 7 years ago

I had POTC and modded the heck out of it. It was beautiful, but for some reason I just could not get excited about it. But everyone who came over loved it and it was a favorite of all of their kids. Maybe because it was so pretty....I really don't know.

But I had SM the whole time too and threw a few mods on it. Even though SM does not get the most play I find it hard to say goodbye to. POTC went and I really did not feel to bad about it other than it being a really beautiful game. Its really a personal decision, but I felt that SM has a much smoother flow but POTC had the neat ship. The kids all loved to hit it. POTC will always have a large following in the pinball community and everyone should own one at least once as their collection rotates.

#25 7 years ago
Quoted from Mojosan:

I have them both and have had each for a few years.
SM - Much, much better game for experienced player. Very long ball times.
POTC - huge draw (and huge fun) for casual players, the ship is a super cool toy. Chicks dig POTC.
As good as SM is, it's going to leave my collection before POTC because it is so rarely seen.

I agree with Mojosan. Love me some Spiderman but POTC was the one pin the wife requested. When family and friends comes over it is the most played out of the collection. If you want to treat yourself then go for Spidey but if you are adding the family into the equation then POTC is the way to go. Great pins either way, Good luck!

#26 7 years ago

SM for me but it's the original red or black all the way and never the VE.

#27 7 years ago

For some reason I never really thought much of SM in the 5 years I have been owning and playing pinball. A low play SMVE came u for sale from a local friend and I jumped on it and can't believe I did not get SM sooner. I would have gotten either the original or VE. I don't know what the heck people are talking about saying that the VE is not as good of a game as the original or vice versa. They both play great.

SM can be a longer player, but it is just so fun I don't want the game to end. I describe so many shots as super satisfying. The Venom shot from the upper right flipper is one of my favorites in all of pinball. I slam the shot and it sits for a second, so I can enjoy the shot after it hits venom before it comes back down the ramp. The left and right ramps shots are smooth and the loops flow great. I like the post in between the flippers. I sit calmly without a care as the ball goes straight down the middle and hits back off the post so I can save it. It is a fantastic game.

I do really love POTC also. It is just so different than so many other pins out there. I dig the Pirate theme and the sinking ship. On my wish list and I want to have one someday.

Edge to SM, which is my personal favorite now, but POTC is a great pick also. Younger kids would enjoy both.

#28 7 years ago

I owned both for years and would pass on both, but if you are determined to get one or the other, I'd go with SM due to the superior layout. The SM shots are smooth and satisfying and its more fun to shoot. POTC has the best toy (sinking ship) that Stern has put together in the modern era, but nearly every shot interrupts the flow in some fashion.

I'd go SM for gameplay, POTC for show (and for newbies).

#29 7 years ago

I've owned both and POTC is the one that remains. Both are great games and you won't go wrong with either. SM is probably more fun to play but POTC is a more challenging game. All depends what you like.

#30 7 years ago

I just sold spider-man for the second time. It is great and all, but it's just too serious or something. I started a thread once suggesting that SM might be respected rather than loved. It just loses its fun after a while. I've played little POTC, but it is certainly was fun.

#31 7 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

I just sold spider-man for the second time. It is great and all, but it's just too serious or something. I started a thread once suggesting that SM might be respected rather than loved. It just loses its fun after a while. I've played little POTC, but it is certainly was fun.

I literally was just reading this thread and thinking the same thing. I had SM and just didn't love it. Gameplay was fine something just didn't click. Pirates I've only played a few times but thought it was a really fun pin and I will definitely own one someday. If GB didn't come out I would have bought one. My two cents Henry, hope all is well

Mike

#32 7 years ago

I remember having POTC, SM and LOTR all at the same time when they came out and were affordable. I played the hell out of each one and ended up selling them all, moving on to try different pins and kept track of the ones I like and would buy again and POTC and LOTR were on that list, not SM. Although I loved how it played (SM), the games tended to be too long (1/2 hour) and ultimately not as much fun in the long run. I loved LOTR because the destroy the ring was attainable and the machine shutting down and the castle falling is awesome. I also love POTC because it's a strategy game for me, how you play it, makes it interesting. You can go about it different ways, but ultimately you have to complete the outer lights to get to Four Winds and that keeps me coming back as I have only done that a few times. Seems to be the full package for me, with probably the best toy in pinball, the sinking ship, plus the beating heart trunk, very cool, the spinning disc to set up multiball which helps in completing the different modes. The art is awesome, such a beautiful playfield, Kiera Knightly on the backglass, yum, great theme, music and call outs. I recently got my POTC back and hope to keep it around for a long time, the games seem to be just the right time length and I'm always satisfied after, fun game. Completing the timed Jack ramp is very satisfying also. The complete package for me, matey.
Average player at best here, just my opinion, Bob

#33 7 years ago

SM without a doubt, POTC isn't a bad game. It is pretty tough to get to four winds...but can be a little like chopping wood to get there. SM is just about the perfect game in all aspects.

#35 7 years ago

If you're asking me, PotC. If you ask my wife, SM.

And as usual, I'm right.

#36 7 years ago

Wow, cool to see all the POTC love here. It's been a quieter pin on pinside for a while as well as on the infamous top 100 ratings. With a new POTC movie coming soon, the pin will continue to have popular culture appeal and be relevant.

I own the POTC and really enjoy it. Much more than I thought I would based on the feedback I saw here. As others have mentioned it's even higher rated with guests and kids, who love it. Really cool theme, with longer game times (like LOTR). Beautiful look, lots of toys (with one of the top two toys in pinball) and lots of depth for the enthusiast. It's slower and more stop and go, but even if not your preferred style it is a nice change of pace in a collection of fast pins (eg, my collection is otherwise fast).

SM is great too, with some differences as noted by others earlier who have good input. I expect to have one in my collection at some point. Think about what you want, what you have and keep in mind that variety is always good, plus local offerings can sway the choice. And nothing is forever; one can try and move on as variety is nice as well.

#37 7 years ago

They are both really good games. I also have issues with both of them.

SM. Doc Ock all day. Ignore the rest of the game, take what comes to you as you work on Doc Ock.

PotC. Multiball stacking is king. Other than that... chopping wood.

There is a reason why you don't see either of these games in many big tourneys. They have to be nastified to the point of being whisper tilt lightning flipper crippled to keep them from going on forever. Between the two, I'd go with SM just on the fun factor. However if these games are for home game room fun... get them both and see which one you like the best.

#38 7 years ago

I own both ... they are like different flavors of ice cream ... both are sweet to me.

I have owned 3 or 4 POTC and after I sell, I feel like getting another one a year later.
Now I own one that is HUO, a game that feels just right to me.
Still, I cannot seem to get to Four Winds...so the challenge remains.
Stacking is one of the main fun parts for me and you walk away whistling the haunting tune (:')

Spiderman ... fast constant action and nice humor. A better game for me to use at my one arcade location.
However the long ball times are there and HENCE, I now play it with 1" balls ...
smaller, lighter, faster zippy action that keeps me on my toes. Try it!

#39 7 years ago

Yeah. I own a SMVE, and POTC could easily be my number one next one to come in pin! POTC is just a fun game to play - plain and simple.

Both SM and POTC together? Now you are talking!

#40 7 years ago

I've owned both but kept Potc even though it's my longest tenured game, SM is very nice too I'd give them a tie.

Kept my Potc because it was 99.9 condition I had it since new and never had a problem, my SM was good but like 95% condition.

I felt like I should keep Potc until I get to wizard mode a few times I get very close now so just a matter of time.

However if both were in equal condition I'd say they are equal.

Potc might have worse call outs but I like them fine, voice acting is ok to me.

SM has the worst dots although maybe better with color dmd, IM also had bad dots but is more acceptable with color dmd.

I also own ST and AcDc I wanted Potc more for a unique layout. However I would buy SM in the future if one came up in better condition like new.

Both are great can't go wrong either one.

#41 7 years ago

So many great games in this price range I really like TWD pro or Met pro maybe Tspp for this price but SM and Potc and IM as well (lotr?).

IMO you can probably pick 10 Stern pins in this price range $4800+ I think it comes down to personal preference and condition.

#42 7 years ago

I think Potc is more pretty and mods well although I have no mods on mine save LEDs and color dmd and it doesn't look stripped like some games today.

It's one of those pins that looks great with or without mods.

SM looks kind of ok but not as pretty as Potc

Probably SM better rules and better flow. Maybe better for advanced players.

Potc can be chopping wood but it's still fun, stop and go but good for novice players.

#43 7 years ago

Go SM and don't look back dude. I'm on my 3rd SM and POTC was in my collection for 10 days or so...

#44 7 years ago
Quoted from DK:

Go SM and don't look back dude. I'm on my 3rd SM and POTC was in my collection for 10 days or so...

Why do I see comments like this so much. "on my 3rd"? If a game is so great why get rid of it? I can understand once and either have a regret or decide it is your grail and you want a perfect one. But why do so many people seem to flip and buy again so much?

#45 7 years ago
Quoted from Taxman:

Why do I see comments like this so much. "on my 3rd"? If a gam is so great why get rid of it? I can understand once and either have a regret or decide it is your grain and you want a perfect one. But why do so many people seem to flip and buy again so much?

Keepers are great, but some folks like to move games in and out because the selling and hunting can be fun also.

#46 7 years ago
Quoted from Taxman:

Why do I see comments like this so much. "on my 3rd"? If a game is so great why get rid of it? I can understand once and either have a regret or decide it is your grail and you want a perfect one. But why do so many people seem to flip and buy again so much?

It's a fun game in your buddy's collection..

If you're tight on space it just seems like the 1st to go. Then you play it somewhere else and you want it again..

#47 7 years ago

I've only played POTC in the wild and haven't played more than 20 or so games. Rule-wise - is POTC a fairly simple pin? I assume there is less to do than in SM?

#48 7 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNavidad:

I've only played POTC in the wild and haven't played more than 20 or so games. Rule-wise - is POTC a fairly simple pin? I assume there is less to do than in SM?

Not simple, shallow or easy by any means. Quite a few shots, none that are very difficult, but it's fun. I would say that it's not complex and fairly linear, though.

#49 7 years ago

PotC is easy to explain and not too daunting except for maybe Heart MB and Davy Jones **lots** of shots to make. I've no idea after that but I'm trying to get to 4 Winds and Gauntlet wizard modes.

#50 7 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNavidad:

It's a simple-narrow but deep Ruleset. collecting 90% of the main insert matrix takes little to no thought whatsoever. Then getting to 4 winds is all about completing the last one or two inserts which requires a lot of repetition which makes it seem like a deep Ruleset. So on that front, POTC is a little weak. Also the game design from the heart chest ball return to the flippers from the right outlanes is very poor.

All that said; POTC is a blast in the multiball stacking dept and has some really cool and fun rules involved with those multiballs. Everything else is pretty uninspiring to be honest.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Grand Rapids, MI
$ 16.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

€ 18.00
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

$ 25.95
Machine - For Sale
Lombard, IL
$ 28.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 79.99
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 29.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 25.50
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 54.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Machine - For Sale
Rockford, IL
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Yucaipa, CA
$ 79.99
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 51 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sm-or-potc?hl=mightygrave and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.