70%
  • Neither! 4 votes
    4%

(109 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

53EA95F0-484A-45FB-9471-62F25D5527A7 (resized).png
#1 5 years ago

Looking to add a new game to the collection and these are the 2 that appeal to me most right now. TSPP is also in the mix but in 3rd place at this point. I've read a few of the older threads (5+yrs ago) but wondering what people thought about it now.

I have mostly short ball time games (classic Ballys, TNA, TWD) and a moderately longer playing game in X-Men LE. Playing skill (from 1-10, 10 being awesome), I'm probably at a 2 or 3 (I suck) so 40 minute games on LOTR shouldn't be a factor.

I've had plenty of time on both and I enjoy both. Just need to get nudged in one direction!

#2 5 years ago

Spidey IMO. Love the flow on it.

#3 5 years ago

Lotr is a better game, one of the best stern has ever made. SM is good too, just doesn't offer as much.

#4 5 years ago

Had both sold LOTR and bought a nicer one right after. I love both games but LOTR is never leaving. I will never beat it, just not good enough. SM is also awesome but may leave some day.

#5 5 years ago

Not even close.......LOTR.

#6 5 years ago

LOTR. I had a blast owning this and I am an average player. Easy to start all of the movie multiballs and reach Destroy the Ring, which is a blast. Plus, resale is good on LOTR. It is a beautiful game and fun to mod if you are into that sort of thing. Great game...probably Stern's best ever to date.

#7 5 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

Lotr is a better game, one of the best stern has ever made. SM is good too, just doesn't offer as much.

^^^This. I would get a Spiderman at the right price, but Stern just doesn't make games like LOTR anymore. Spiderman is very good, but LOTR is close to as good as it gets for me.

#8 5 years ago

Just added a poll. I thought I had one added when I started this thread.

Looks like 5/6 for LOTR right now.

#9 5 years ago

LOTR is amazing. Epic.

SM is more fun. Faster pace.

LOTR has the edge for me, but each game is a long hike.

#10 5 years ago

SM! Ritchie and Lyman perfect pinball. Simple, great rules. Sweet, fun shots and flow. Great AFM type up the middle shots. Upper right flipper Venom shot is satisfying and gives you a second to celebrate. Ramp to ramp is satisfying or backhand Left ramp/ left flipper over and over. Lotr doesn’t have these very satisfying shots. IMHO

I had a nice HUO LOTR that played great also and it is amazing for what it is and for when it came out. I just got tired of the call outs, the stop and go and “the journey”. I feel the shots are clunky and not smooth like SM, but that is Gomez. I am a flow guy though. If you like stop and go LOTR is a great one for you.

Both are good “not butt kickers” for you.

#11 5 years ago

have both, both never leaving. buy both !

#12 5 years ago

Very tough to choose , I own both and don't see them leaving anytime soon. However there is a great deal on SM original in my area.

I have the SMVE, both are worth owning.

Good luck

#13 5 years ago

SM with no Center drain save post and lightning flippers is a blast both in speed, rules, and flow. I prefer the vault for art, call outs, display, and overall theme integration (not movie based).

LOTR is epic especially if you’re a fan of the theme. If you haven’t experienced the epic ness of LOTR, I highly recommend. But keep in mind, if you want to get deep into it, it’s a long player.

#14 5 years ago
Quoted from Guinnesstime:

LOTR is amazing. Epic.
SM is more fun. Faster pace.
LOTR has the edge for me, but each game is a long hike.

I’m going to agree here.

I owned SM sold and bought a different one back.

I owned LotR during this same time and think both (and Tspp) are great.

My biggest issue with LotR (although I feel like it’s fantastic maybe one of the best ever) was that I don’t feel like playing it a lot. I go through phases and sure the new pins get played more but I still keep the old ones and play them periodically. But LotR became one I didn’t turn on as much as I should have.

I would still buy LotR is you don’t have one but me personally SM seems to be better.

Basically the three pins you listed you can not go wrong with.

IMO you should buy LotR if you are really into rules and SM if you are more into funny flowing pins. LotR is a bit serious and dark but still excellent. Tspp deep and rewarding can’t go wrong with it at all imo.

So I’m not much help since after all kind of just see what comes up at a good price.

#15 5 years ago

Obviously comes down to personal opinion - I vote SM. I had a HUO LOTR as well, and sold it pretty quickly, I liked it but became bored pretty quickly. Can't put my finger on why, it obviously had a ton to do but after destroying the ring many times, and getting to There and Back Again a couple times, I felt like I'd seen all I was going to. Valinor was never going to happen for me, so I moved on after only a couple weeks.

I haven't owned a SM, but have played hundreds of times - feels better to me and is just more fun. IMO

#16 5 years ago

Own all 3 games that you're considering. As far as LOTR Vs SM I would go with LOTR personally. Ball times can be long, but can also be quick depending how it goes. I'm not a very good player and have only destroyed the ring once, but started it a bit. TSPP I feel is the better deep code game, but I also like the stacking in that game. It can be confusing at first, but once you get the hang of it TSPP is a lot of fun. SM is great but maybe the one I play the least. My family loves it though and to be honest I don't think any of the 3 will be leaving unless I decide to get out of pinball all together.

#17 5 years ago

Also depends on how you play, I’m a casual player, the ring modes of LotR seem very hard to me. Never seems like I would get too far in the game. If I was a higher level player might get more out of LotR.

#18 5 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Also depends on how you play, I’m a casual player, the ring modes of LotR seem very hard to me. Never seems like I would get too far in the game. If I was a higher level player might get more out of LotR.

I'm a 2 or 3 out of 10 at best, so yeah, I consider myself a sucky player and that super long ball times shouldn't be a huge factor. I mean, short of flailing the ball, I have decent ball control, but my shot accuracy is ok at best. Plus I've got a 3 yr old boy and 5 yr old girl that like to bang the ball around too. My kids love super heroes and the game they gravitate to most is X-Men, but possibly because it's the newest. Price-wise, they are about 1K different with LOTR being the more expensive one, so that's also a factor since there are some house projects that need doing and pin money is eating into some of that.

With all that being said, I play probably 3 : 1 to the rest of my family (wife and 2 kids) so I would rather prefer a game that I can spend time on, instead of buying with their interests in mind.

#19 5 years ago

I own both games but I think I prefer LOTR a bit more.

#20 5 years ago

Def LOTR for me. I think everyone should own one at some point.

#21 5 years ago

If you aren't worried about going deep into the game I vote SM. Fun, satisfying shots, third flipper, with achievable goals for your skill level.

#22 5 years ago

I've owned 3 LOTR's. I've only owned SM once.

SM is a good pin. LOTR is a great pin, as long as you are prepared for long games to get deep into the ruleset and to Valinor.

#23 5 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

TSPP is also in the mix but in 3rd place at this point

I would go Simpsons over both of those. I don't understand the love for LOTR. I owned one for two years, and it felt like a chore/wood choppy to play. I know that sounds crazy when I am suggesting Simpsons, but there is a general looser feel to Simpsons because of the ability to stack several objectives at once.

Out of LOTR or Spiderman, If you setup Spiderman difficult, it is far more satisfying to play than LOTR. If you set it up factory, it is way too easy.

#24 5 years ago
Quoted from Apex:

If you aren't worried about going deep into the game I vote SM. Fun, satisfying shots, third flipper, with achievable goals for your skill level.

I've seen wizard modes in B/W games, and mini-wizard modes in modern Sterns. Have never seen a Final Wizard mode in any modern game. So that's kinda where my skill level is at.

#25 5 years ago

Steve Ritchie pins, which I enjoy immensely, typically do not last long in my collection, 3-4 months at the max. LOTR is now the longest in my collection, over 15 months now.

#26 5 years ago

Owned both. Worked on a lot of both for others as well. For me, Spidey is smoother with better flow. LOTR is great with awesome rules and great theme integration. LOTR is also the only game my wife has ever asked me to re-purchase. Both are hard to go wrong with. I’d probably lean LOTR for a few reasons. But, honestly would probably vary dependent on when I was asked and what else I owned at the time.

#27 5 years ago

I was in your dilemma about a year and change ago, was a very hard decision. Decided between these 3 machines you listed. In the end, I went with tspp. Lotr seemed great to me with the rules and neat toys, and I don't mind the wood chopping aspect to the rules. Sm was the 3rd place pin for me because I've never played one before, but I do regret not considering this pin because I feel like I need a pin with gratifying shots and this seems to have it more than the three. Tspp is great, very deep but you choose what way you wanna take the game unlike lotr where the goal is Valinor. Tspp has so many wizard modes you can choose from and most are achievable. Just the right amount of difficulty in my book. Find a nice tspp and you can't go wrong. It's a blast every time. Not to mention one of the best upper pf's in pinball next to the shadows battlefield (owned that one too). Lotr, great pin, it deserves all the praise it gets but I can def see that getting old in my 2 pin only collection. Tspp all the way, theme sucks but gameplay rules, and compliments my totan.

Theme on these pins are a big minus for me as I was never really into any of them, except for sm as a kid but the vault edition isn't well done in my eyes. The art isn't to my liking and the callouts are awful. Gameplay is great but that other stuff did it in for me.

Sorry, big rant.

#28 5 years ago

ooooh crap. short answer..both, if you can. Both are so different, both so good. Stern knocked it out of the park on these titles. Rock solid reliable and they play very well.

Play both and see if you can only have one. I have lotr, never leaving and if i could find spidy it would never leave also so I guess I am no help at all. lol

Great games you will lose nothing on having for a while so enjoy, worry free and buy the nicer example and hole out for the other..

#29 5 years ago

If Stern was to make a Vault of LotR it’d sell a thousand units I’d bet, I would buy one.

SM is super nice and has more long loopy shots if you like that and the side ramp is pure joy.

LotR has one of the best magnet toys ever.

53EA95F0-484A-45FB-9471-62F25D5527A7 (resized).png53EA95F0-484A-45FB-9471-62F25D5527A7 (resized).png

6 months later
#30 5 years ago

Just to update, I ended up getting a really nice SM, since it was available and I couldn't wait anymore. I played the VE on location when I first got into this hobby a couple years ago, and would always play games of it whenever I was there, regardless of what the newest machine was. My 3 yr old (soon to be 4) LOVES it, which in itself might be worth it altogether. I'm sure I'll own a LOTR at some point. I've only ever played that on location as well and really do enjoy it. I missed out on a nice one a few months ago and regret not being able to pick it up.

#31 5 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

Just to update, I ended up getting a really nice SM, since it was available and I couldn't wait anymore. I played the VE on location when I first got into this hobby a couple years ago, and would always play games of it whenever I was there, regardless of what the newest machine was. My 3 yr old (soon to be 4) LOVES it, which in itself might be worth it altogether. I'm sure I'll own a LOTR at some point. I've only ever played that on location as well and really do enjoy it. I missed out on a nice one a few months ago and regret not being able to pick it up.

Is it too late to vote for LOTR? I think you've made a horrible mistake! Obviously kidding, and you are definitely not a 1-3 player by the way.

#32 5 years ago
Quoted from iloveplywood:

Is it too late to vote for LOTR? I think you've made a horrible mistake! Obviously kidding, and you are definitely not a 1-3 player by the way.

Lol. Thanks. I still think I am but I have my days

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 25.00
9,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RGP Models

$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Rockford, IL
$ 41.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Deer Park, NY
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

10,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Juneau, WI
$ 39.50
€ 7.50
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sm-or-lotr-1?hl=pinkopf and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.