Topic Stats

• 7 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by wizzardz
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 11 years ago

I've noticed on some play videos that the Doc Ock magnet holds the ball and then flings it back to the trap. When my magnet flings, the ball only goes an inch toward the trap and then just falls straight to the right flipper. Is that normal behavior or do I have an under powered magnet?

#2 11 years ago
Quoted from DylanFan71:

I've noticed on some play videos that the Doc Ock magnet holds the ball and then flings it back to the trap. When my magnet flings, the ball only goes an inch toward the trap and then just falls straight to the right flipper. Is that normal behavior or do I have an under powered magnet?

It is somewhat random. It does not (by design) always fling to the ock shot. I've had it
Fling towards the flippers. It's not a directional magnet. It just gets pulsed so the results are random.

#3 11 years ago

Is the magnet top deformed? Mine was apparently mounted too high in the playfield. The ball would hop when going over it and exhibit the behavior you mention because it was somewhat domed from the wear. I pulled the magnet, ground the top flat, and remounted it flush to the pf. While it will occasionally not pop it into the hole, I get nowhere near as many bounce-back hops, flipper shots or weak shots to the hole than when it was domed.

#4 11 years ago

It IS gnarly on the top. I was looking through the manual today and contemplating a new magnet. Maybe I'll give it a hit on a sander. Thanks for the advice!!

#5 11 years ago

Pinballlife sells the magnet core for $12.95

#6 11 years ago

Bought a new one from Pinball life and took my Dremel and beveled the edges. Has about 150 plays on it and still looks perfect.

#7 11 years ago

If you're going to look to take it apart, I would try to remove the core from the nut before buying a new core. There was no way i was going to get the core out of mine - and many have similar stories of trying to get them loose in the nut. Short of taking high and directed heat to it (others have without success) the core can be a real PIA to get loose. I ended up taking the whole assembly out and sanding it down - having to fit it into the pf periodically since I couldn't get it loose to adjust the position of the core.

If you can get yours out, buy a new one, fit it proper in the pf and be done with it. If you have to sand it, take your time and reduce grit levels as you get closer to level so as to get a polish to the top. It should be level with the pf to avoid wear to both.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Machine - For Sale
Milford, CT
Machine - For Sale
Rockford, IL
$ 25.50
$ 25.95
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 16.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 6.00
Playfield - Protection
Apron Envy

6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Saint Johns, MI
$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sm-magnet-question and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.