You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

TWD idea.jpg
image-397.jpg
KOF.jpg
FullSizeRender.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider iceman44.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 9 years ago

Not for me, it's the best flow pin I've ever played. And dropping to #11 behind a few of those other ranked above it, no way! It's becoming unloved and forgotten.

I stopped by Pinballz south on my way back from Austin yesterday and got to play the STLE again and sorry, but it's not even close. Bling it up, sure, play it, no wow factor for me, the mashed up tinfoil and Enterprise shot, over and over again, is disappointing.

I'll take Sandman, Venom and Doc Ock all day, every day.

#3 9 years ago
Quoted from Chambahz:

Agreed, that I prefer SM over ST, but ST is a faster, better flowing game in my opinion.
Still, I think AFM is up there as well for speed and flow (though I still prefer SM), and ACDC is the king.

I have Ac/dc and SM and have played ST enough now, but even though Ac/dc has the fun factor it doesn't come close to flow for me versus SM. ST is only "faster" with the underwhelming "warp ramp" that was derived from Venom!

Get a mutiball or two going on SM, no comparison imho.....

#5 9 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

STLE kicks SM ass.

Negative Hasselhoff! Not even close Keep dreaming though

And your STTNG blows the new one away, all day!

#9 9 years ago

FullSizeRender.jpgFullSizeRender.jpg

#10 9 years ago

And Ac/dc plays a huge second fiddle to SM....

#14 9 years ago
Quoted from PNBLWZD:

I dunno, that's a tough call. I like SM a lot, and it's the game that got me to like Sterns back when it came out, but I really like STLE and think it just has more flow and action. Both great games though!

I def respect your opinion Wizard with 36 pins, more action with STLE, maybe, flow though, man I just feel that SM flow, ST, plenty of time to react and think about what to do next imho....

#46 9 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

SM is the best all around game Stern ever produced.

Every time I play it, that's the feeling I'm left with, "best all around", and I own Lotr and Ac/dc

The ramp shots are butter smooth and the fastest flowing of any ramps.

The other thing that makes SM great is when you are in multi ball mode it's like no other when you get the ramp combos, loops, center shot, venom and Ock all going at once.

The shots feel like the perfect prototype pinball machine for me.

#50 9 years ago
Quoted from JonH123:

I have STLE and love the flow and High Speed. Would SM be another good pin to buy for one who likes this type of action and flow?

The ramps on SM seem to be engineered to max "butter flow" and speed. The whooshing sound is the best. The warp ramp is cool on ST but there is just no better combos when i can go to the loops and ramps at the same time on a MB and then hit a venom and have 5 more options again off of that shot.

The bling, light show and theme for some, is what carries ST, I'll take the game play on SM.

It's kind of like slingshotting around that first turn at Talladega speedway! And I've done that at 180 mph. Just shots that feel great!

#64 9 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

smoothest flow it beats SM and AC/DC but hey that's just like my opinion man.

Seeing as though you have 3 of 7 Star Trek games I'm sure we won't be able to change your mind!

Even though you are blinded with bias if you had enough games played on those two I think you would at least admit it to yourself that you are wrong!

#66 9 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

TWDLE are pretty good candidates in the speed and flow category

Glad to hear that, I'll be setting mine up tomorrow, already have the beer iced down!

#78 9 years ago
Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

Close thread. I heard Ice suggest TWD is now better than SM. Two words: honey, moon.

"POTENTIAL" to be better than SM, and I think it will be when Lyman gets done with it!

#82 9 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

I don't think twd has the layout to be better than spiderman.

I think it does, let's get the full rules in and see. The shots, flow and combos are spectacular, and the use of the magnets so far add some excellent randomness. Great theme integration so far.

I love em both. What can I say, the sound and light show on TWD is just far superior.

TFA, the code is better than ST right now, because ST blows imo

#85 9 years ago
Quoted from ZenTron:

Lets see, SM has best flow and TWD has potential to be better. Yup, iceman44 owns them both..

But I own Ac/dc and Lotr too and I'm not saying that about those two You would probably say ST and IM because you own those two even though you'd be wrong, just because IM is brutal fast doesn't mean it has great flow, it doesn't

#96 9 years ago
Quoted from smassa:

Holy shit I finally agree with something you said!
TWD has too many shots that end up in the pops where SM has control gates to bypass them during combos. This fact alone makes SM flow much better.

Dang Smassa, you go through pins like shit through a goose!

There is actually only one shot that ends up in the pops, Riot lane, if you hit the tunnel shot clean its a screaming loop and a great combo shot.

When my ball does go into the pops it has a lot more random action and spends less time in there than Ac/dc, we know exactly how its coming out of those pops, every time.

#101 9 years ago
Quoted from smassa:

I dunno the pro I played had 3 shots that lead the the Bermuda Triangle (pops). The left loop, Inner 2x shot and Woodbury. If that area had some gates that could control if the ball passed by or went to pops it would play much better. Just a poor design IMO.

You are playing some other pin then, or one that isn't set up properly. Left loop, NEVER, metal ball guide prevents it, Riot inner yes, the only one really, and Woodbury on the pro with no standup, please? The "bermuda triangle", hardly, maybe on Ac/dc but not TWD

It's really a great design imo And the location of the pops are perfect for all of these great shots.

What's the phrase? "Very satisfying"

#106 9 years ago
Quoted from skywalker:

Mine hits the pops more often than not coming out of left loop, whats the set up procedure

Well you can't possibly go into the pops from the left orbit on the LE. Pro doesn't have metal ball guide?

So you are talking about the back end of the shot and not through the rollovers which it can't do, the thing i have to worry about most is an extra turbo boost from the pop down to the flippers off the left loop. Gives that shot some excellent immediate randomness, if I miss it and it rolls too slow then it might bounce around in the pops on the back end but it doesn't stay there like a few others report, maybe wrong pitch?

Shot is a screamer. One shot to the pops and its a tight one, the "Riot" lane.

Tunnel shot is fast as hell and fun for long loop combos, I've done 3 "warp loops"

#119 9 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

Left orbit is not left loop. Left loop does go into the pops. The right orbit ends up in the pops often. The WB shot ends in pops also.

I call it the "loop" and its possible to go into the pops, my right loop rarely does because its a clean shot and the left loop won't either if its clean and set up correctly. That said, I like the pop action, brief as it is from the left loop when it happens.

All in all, I love this pin

#131 9 years ago
Quoted from mof:

Are pops always flow killers? If so, why?

-mof

No. Left loop on TWD can add a turbo boost and randomness through grazing those pops.

Doesn't kill it for me. If I can live with AC/DC I can live with anything.

#143 9 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

I love TWDLE but I tried today to make the left loop a direct feed back to the flippers. I failed but if I had the skills to fabricate a metal lane guide I would remove the pop bumber closest to the right of the cab, make the return smooth back to the flippers.

TWD idea.jpg 319 KB

You can turn that pop bumper off. For some reason it doesn't affect my ball much. Maybe it's the pitch and speed it's coming around?

#147 9 years ago
Quoted from skywalker:

whats your pitch setting
BTW if you swap over that stern post sleeve to the fatter bally/wms style hurts the flow either way @ the tunnel shot

I wanted to play this thing as quick as possible so I did the eyeball test with the legs and feet and think I nailed it. I'll check with the leveler and let you know what it is after I get some more games on it tonight!

I haven't changed out the post sleeve either, getting a few SDTM's. When I first got Ac/dc, it was literally unplayable without the fatter post sleeve, I wanted to take a sledgehammer to that frustrating drain monster out of the pops.

#148 9 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

I did and it helps with time in the pops but nothing major. It would have been nice if the Barn shot was a smooth orbit back to the flippers.

They could have put a diverter gate there and given you the option. Oh well, it's not perfect flow, like SM imo, but its pretty damn good!

And it def has the crack open a beer and keep hitting the start button factor.

#153 9 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

I've disabled the coil in the right pop but it still sends the ball into the other pops. I feel like the orbit shots should flow not hit the pops

Not sure why you guys are having so much trouble over it, the tunnel shot, right loop/orbit is a screaming combo special which is much more "satisfying" than the "warp" shot on ST (sorry but it is), and if you hit the left loop/orbit cleanly you shouldn't be having pop issues other than the half second it takes to kick it randomly at a higher speed.

I'm afraid to even move my pin now as it feels set up just right.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

10,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Onekama, MI
6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dixon, CA
$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 89.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
Commack, NY
$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

3,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
$ 72.95
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 38.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 16.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
PFX Pinball Mods

$ 44.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 87.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider iceman44.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sm-is-there-a-better-flow-pin-than-sm?tu=iceman44 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.