You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

TWD idea.jpg
image-397.jpg
KOF.jpg
FullSizeRender.jpg
There are 169 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.
#101 9 years ago
Quoted from smassa:

I dunno the pro I played had 3 shots that lead the the Bermuda Triangle (pops). The left loop, Inner 2x shot and Woodbury. If that area had some gates that could control if the ball passed by or went to pops it would play much better. Just a poor design IMO.

You are playing some other pin then, or one that isn't set up properly. Left loop, NEVER, metal ball guide prevents it, Riot inner yes, the only one really, and Woodbury on the pro with no standup, please? The "bermuda triangle", hardly, maybe on Ac/dc but not TWD

It's really a great design imo And the location of the pops are perfect for all of these great shots.

What's the phrase? "Very satisfying"

#102 9 years ago

SM does have great flow, but I've always thought that TOM had the best flow of any pin that I've owned.

The previously mentioned DM has really good flow too...but it is completely destroyed by the Cryo Claw.

#103 9 years ago
Quoted from smassa:

I dunno the pro I played had 3 shots that lead the the Bermuda Triangle (pops). The left loop, Inner 2x shot and Woodbury. If that area had some gates that could control if the ball passed by or went to pops it would play much better. Just a poor design IMO.

Go play mustang and tell yourself that's a well thought out design. Yeah several shots lead to the pops but its not what you think, buy an LE set it up and then we can talk again.

#104 9 years ago

Wrath of Olympus is the new king of flow. Sorry guys, but SM is not even in the same league, esp due to the limited number of shots.

For currently produced games TOM is by far the flow monster with great return to flipper and combo maneuvers.

#105 9 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

or one that isn't set up properly

Mine hits the pops more often than not coming out of left loop, whats the set up procedure

#106 9 years ago
Quoted from skywalker:

Mine hits the pops more often than not coming out of left loop, whats the set up procedure

Well you can't possibly go into the pops from the left orbit on the LE. Pro doesn't have metal ball guide?

So you are talking about the back end of the shot and not through the rollovers which it can't do, the thing i have to worry about most is an extra turbo boost from the pop down to the flippers off the left loop. Gives that shot some excellent immediate randomness, if I miss it and it rolls too slow then it might bounce around in the pops on the back end but it doesn't stay there like a few others report, maybe wrong pitch?

Shot is a screamer. One shot to the pops and its a tight one, the "Riot" lane.

Tunnel shot is fast as hell and fun for long loop combos, I've done 3 "warp loops"

#107 9 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

Go play mustang and tell yourself that's a well thought out design. Yeah several shots lead to the pops but its not what you think, buy an LE set it up and then we can talk again.

Mustang is more fun to play at this point. Maybe not as good a theme but it is more fun.

#108 9 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Wrath of Olympus is the new king of flow. Sorry guys, but SM is not even in the same league, esp due to the limited number of shots.

LOL!

#109 9 years ago

Left orbit is not left loop. Left loop does go into the pops. The right orbit ends up in the pops often. The WB shot ends in pops also.

#110 9 years ago

I'll have to give SM a try, it sounds like a fun machine.

My vote goes to Attack from Mars and The Shadow, good flow, plus you get the 5 or 6 way combo for your efforts. Ironman can deliver some insanely fast flow if you can manage to hit the ramps and orbits off the War Ma-chine kickback and orbit returns.

#111 9 years ago
Quoted from S37VEN:

I would say that TOM is the best flowing game I've played but that doesn't mean I would own it. I haven't had enough time on SM to really compare the two though.

I had TOM for a bit and would say it probably has the best flow of any game. My buddy had black Spider-Man and even though it is a much better game than Tom it certainly didn't have the flow you're talking about.

#112 9 years ago

Gotta disagree there- Iron Man is fast and you can combo like crazy if you nail down the timing, but it just doesn't have the feel to it- even when you're hitting left-right ramps or orbits one after another, you're on edge and it usually requires nudging to keep the ball off of the slings.

I'd go for Shrek/Family Guy. You can rock that right orbit-inner right orbit-left ramp-etc. over and over. Feels great and pays off as well. The stop/relief shots on the scoop and left standup lanes are also extremely well done and the slings allow a clean feed from the orbits. Bonus points for not relying on the figure-eight ramp flow that seems pretty popular here (MM, FT, SM, JM, ST, AFM, MB, AC/DC, DM).

As for bad but flowy-esque I'd say Monopoly. Once the bank is open hitting that center ramp is trivial and it gets old fast.

#113 9 years ago

I wish ACDC played more like SM. ACDC has the two great ramps and fast but does not flow or combo like SM in my opinion. I wish Metallica had better flow as I thought or try to love the layout but game does not move like SM. Maybe LOTR as a runner up for great flow? On a side note when I first played ST it did remind me or play fast like SM than any other pin Stern has made since then. Still need to play TWD for an opinion.

#114 9 years ago

Love my SM, but when both me and my Shadow are dialed in, it is a flow monster.

Agree about SM being the whole package. Combos VERY satisfying on SM.

But making a Shadow sing with phurba orchestration is so very sweet.

#115 9 years ago

I think MB would be the best flow for me atm.

#116 9 years ago
Quoted from Collin:

Star Trek may be faster than Spider Man. Spider Man is a better game, though. There's more to pinball than speed.

Yes! So true!

#117 9 years ago

have you even played it? It seriously is some of the most amazing flow in any pin and twice as amazing since it is a wide body.

It definately has more flow than SM and feels similar to TOM in how buttery smooth the ball movement is. Granted it has some tighter shots so until you get tuned in to the geometry you will be bricking targets/posts.

#118 9 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

No Fear flows like water from a broken dam.

This.

If you are a fan of flow, No Fear is what you need. There is only one shot on the whole table that really stops the flow. Everything else returns the ball to you quickly. If you want to do a ranking based solely on flow, this is clearly #1.

This machine, though, is a perfect example of the limits of chasing flow above all other considerations. It's not as fun as it sounds which is why it is pretty low on any list.

#119 9 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

Left orbit is not left loop. Left loop does go into the pops. The right orbit ends up in the pops often. The WB shot ends in pops also.

I call it the "loop" and its possible to go into the pops, my right loop rarely does because its a clean shot and the left loop won't either if its clean and set up correctly. That said, I like the pop action, brief as it is from the left loop when it happens.

All in all, I love this pin

#120 9 years ago
Quoted from ZenTron:

The best ramps/flow of any recent Stern game is TRON LE.

In the words of John McEnroe: You can't be serious!?!?

#121 9 years ago

For me the single best Stern title and the best SR game ever.Awesome flow and rule set.

#122 9 years ago
Quoted from nosro:

There is only one shot on the whole table that really stops the flow.

I always refer to that game as No Fun because the shots are so narrow that instead of flow, you just get rebounds off all the rubber posts.

So, technically, it should flow but instead it's all just missed shots.

#123 9 years ago
Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

In the words of John McEnroe: You can't be serious!?!?

Why?

Tron has excellent flow. There's nothing remotely wrong at all with mentioning Tron as one of the best flowing pins.

The only thing that ever stops the ball on Tron is the scoop.

#124 9 years ago

I had TOM for years and have STLE and SM now. There is no question that TOM has much smoother flow. The sound system on it is awesome too compared to SM and STLE.

#125 9 years ago
Quoted from playernumber4:

I had TOM for years and have STLE and SM now. There is no question that TOM has much smoother flow. The sound system on it is awesome too compared to SM and STLE.

I had a TOM no way its smoother than STLE, as for sound maybe its time for a hearing test my friend. STLE kicks TOM ass is the sound department.

#126 9 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

I always refer to that game as No Fun because the shots are so narrow that instead of flow, you just get rebounds off all the rubber posts.

Who's you? Once I get in the groove on No Fear, there is no stopping it. No brakes whatsoever. Flow city. End of story.

#127 9 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Why?
Tron has excellent flow. There's nothing remotely wrong at all with mentioning Tron as one of the best flowing pins.

And left loop to pops...

#128 9 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

And left loop to pops...

Not really.

The ball never stays in the pops on Tron more than a few seconds. And more often than not, the ball just goes straight through them and SDTM!

#129 9 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Not really.
The ball never stays in the pops on Tron more than a few seconds. And more often than not, the ball just goes straight through them and SDTM!

A couple of seconds = broken flow IMO. Same time as hitting the scoop and double flipping to get it back.

#130 9 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

A couple of seconds = broken flow IMO. Same time as hitting the scoop and double flipping to get it back.

Are pops always flow killers? If so, why?

-mof

#131 9 years ago
Quoted from mof:

Are pops always flow killers? If so, why?

-mof

No. Left loop on TWD can add a turbo boost and randomness through grazing those pops.

Doesn't kill it for me. If I can live with AC/DC I can live with anything.

#132 9 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

BFD.

The point is that Tron has superb flow, so TheFamilyArcades response implying that the mention of Tron in this thread is a joke was ridiculous.

#133 9 years ago

I had Tron LE too....and definitely do not think that the flow is better than TOM.

#134 9 years ago
Quoted from playernumber4:

I had TRON LE too....and definitely do not think that the flow is better than TOM.

You aren't arguing with me.

I already mentioned in this thread that TOM has the best flow of any pin that I've owned. That includes pins like SM, Tron and DM. The ball spends even less time in the pops on TOM than Tron.

#135 9 years ago

No Fear has no pops. No pops, no stops.

#136 9 years ago

Tron v No Fear v TOM.
I don't own these, so I'll use PAPA videos as reference.

If I compare just these three against each other, I'd give the big nod to Tron. The use of the upper flipper appears far more frequent and useful compared to the other two games.

I'd say the TOM pops have the most stop-n-go
I'd say the Tron pops barely come into play

3 and 4 flipper games have the most "flow" imo, since a flipper is involved more frequently (YOU).

-mof

#137 9 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Not really.

And bricked Gem shot. But it's better flowing than my previous retort would indicate. Superb? Maybe to you, not to me. I personally don't feel its flow is particularly notable, let alone superior, to many recent Sterns, which was the claim made.

#138 9 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Why?

The left orbit feels clunky and doesn't it also stop the flow? I find the right orbit tough to hit consistently as well and it doesn't have the smooth feel of a typical flowy orbit shot.

#139 9 years ago
Quoted from Jvspin:

The left orbit feels clunky and doesn't it also stop the flow? I find the right orbit tough to hit consistently as well and it doesn't have the smooth feel of a typical flowy orbit shot.

Don't be ridiculous!

Not. Go ahead!

#140 9 years ago

I love TWDLE but I tried today to make the left loop a direct feed back to the flippers. I failed but if I had the skills to fabricate a metal lane guide I would remove the pop bumber closest to the right of the cab, make the return smooth back to the flippers.

TWD idea.jpgTWD idea.jpg
#141 9 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

BFD.
The point is that Tron has superb flow, so TheFamilyArcades response implying that the mention of Tron in this thread is a joke was ridiculous.

Agreed....TRON flows very well if you get a few ramp shots going, and left orbit pretty smooth, as well...ramps slightly tighter on SM, and do enjoy when you can get a rhythm going on it.....

#142 9 years ago

I've never played a TOM, so can't compare....

#143 9 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

I love TWDLE but I tried today to make the left loop a direct feed back to the flippers. I failed but if I had the skills to fabricate a metal lane guide I would remove the pop bumber closest to the right of the cab, make the return smooth back to the flippers.

TWD idea.jpg 319 KB

You can turn that pop bumper off. For some reason it doesn't affect my ball much. Maybe it's the pitch and speed it's coming around?

#144 9 years ago
Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

And bricked Gem shot.

lol

Here's a hint for ya: ANY bricked shot on ANY pinball machine will reduce the flow.

Quoted from Jvspin:

The left orbit feels clunky and doesn't it also stop the flow?

Left orbit only stops the flow if you have the diverter engaged. Most people who own Tron disable the pop up diverter in settings. There's really no reason not to.

#145 9 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

You can turn that pop bumper off. For some reason it doesn't affect my ball much. Maybe it's the pitch and speed it's coming around?

whats your pitch setting

BTW if you swap over that stern post sleeve to the fatter bally/wms style hurts the flow either way @ the tunnel shot

#146 9 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

I did and it helps with time in the pops but nothing major. It would have been nice if the Barn shot was a smooth orbit back to the flippers. The B/W sleeve didn't do much, it doesn't affect the tunnel shot at all. I still think its flows very well.

#147 9 years ago
Quoted from skywalker:

whats your pitch setting
BTW if you swap over that stern post sleeve to the fatter bally/wms style hurts the flow either way @ the tunnel shot

I wanted to play this thing as quick as possible so I did the eyeball test with the legs and feet and think I nailed it. I'll check with the leveler and let you know what it is after I get some more games on it tonight!

I haven't changed out the post sleeve either, getting a few SDTM's. When I first got Ac/dc, it was literally unplayable without the fatter post sleeve, I wanted to take a sledgehammer to that frustrating drain monster out of the pops.

#148 9 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

I did and it helps with time in the pops but nothing major. It would have been nice if the Barn shot was a smooth orbit back to the flippers.

They could have put a diverter gate there and given you the option. Oh well, it's not perfect flow, like SM imo, but its pretty damn good!

And it def has the crack open a beer and keep hitting the start button factor.

#149 9 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

TWD idea.jpg 319 KB

I have been considering doing something along lines

#150 9 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

I have been considering doing something along lines

Please let me know if you come up with something, I removed the entire pop bumper and tried a few things but it needs a metal lane guide. I think it would put the flow of this pin over the top.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Machine - For Sale
Lombard, IL
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 11.95
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Commack, NY
$ 15.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 135.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 19.99
Cabinet - Other
PinballGeek

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 81.95
$ 84.99
FlyLand Designs

6,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Newton, NJ
$ 79.99
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 44.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Machine - For Sale
Rockford, IL
Lighting - Interactive
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 39.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

arcade-cabinets.com

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 169 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sm-is-there-a-better-flow-pin-than-sm/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.