You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

TWD idea.jpg
image-397.jpg
KOF.jpg
FullSizeRender.jpg
There are 169 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 4.
#51 9 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Every time I play it, that's the feeling I'm left with, "best all around", and I own Lotr and Ac/dc
The ramp shots are butter smooth and the fastest flowing of any ramps.
The other thing that makes SM great is when you are in multi ball mode it's like no other when you get the ramp combos, loops, center shot, venom and Ock all going at once.
The shots feel like the perfect prototype pinball machine for me.

Yes. It doesn't have the best sound ever or best art or best toys or best theme, etc...but as a total package it is Stern's best.

#52 9 years ago

Purely about flow?

+1 Demo Man.

#53 9 years ago

Best flow - and the win goes to .... Black Knight. Fast, furious and fun.

#54 9 years ago

I'm surprised JM hasn't been nominated yet. The ramps may be a notch down from some other pins but I can't think of a game with smoother, faster loops and ramps.

#55 9 years ago

STLE is the better game, cased closed.

#56 9 years ago

It took me about 50 games to get into sm. I was actually a bit worried after I bought it but something just clicked and now I have been playing it all the time. I also have st and lotr....to me they are all really good in thier own right. It's great to have a bunch of games that your not sure which one to play next.

#57 9 years ago

SM is an awesome and fun pin- loaded with toys. I have owned a mint example for some time now and it gets plenty of attention. However, I would still give the nod to ACDC premium for buttery flow and ramps/loops that can be hit so seamlessly. I think ACDC/MET premiums and SM are 3 of the smoothest and best designed pins ever made by Stern. The rules on all 3 are also tremendous which gives them the edge over STLE (a nice looking, fast flowing fairly shallow game with few interactive toys IMO).
Regardless, SM is definitely a long-term keeper.

#58 9 years ago
Quoted from luckymoey:

I'm surprised JM hasn't been nominated yet.

JM lasted one week in my home. Talk about slow and anti-flow. The hand drove me crazy-brrrrr-brrrr stop and go with no flow.

My top "Flow" machines-

#1 ST LE-also the fastest game ever produced
#2 Metallica
#3 Tron
#4 Spiderman
#5 Rolling Stones LE tied with T3

#59 9 years ago

Flow schmo. SM is flat out one of the top 5 pins ever made. It has everything.

#60 9 years ago

I can't believe anyone could deem STLE shallow and SM as a deeper game. Please explain? Yes they are different in gameplay but equally filled with lots to do and with STLE having a great lightshow, better theme for me anyway and truly fastest, smoothest flow it beats SM and AC/DC but hey that's just like my opinion man.

#61 9 years ago

I spent most of my time at Expo playing SM.
Love this machine. Will own,...one day.

#62 9 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

JM lasted one week in my home. Talk about slow and anti-flow. The hand drove me crazy-brrrrr-brrrr stop and go with no flow.

I've heard plenty of people complain about the hand but never call JM slow. Agree it's not non-stop flow but hitting 3 or 4 loops in a row may produce the fastest ball speeds of any game (a lot faster than ST), and nailing the ramps back-and-forth during Yakuza Strike is similar to ST. I'd give the nod to ST but not by much.

#63 9 years ago
#64 9 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

smoothest flow it beats SM and AC/DC but hey that's just like my opinion man.

Seeing as though you have 3 of 7 Star Trek games I'm sure we won't be able to change your mind!

Even though you are blinded with bias if you had enough games played on those two I think you would at least admit it to yourself that you are wrong!

#65 9 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Seeing as though you have 3 of 7 Star Trek games I'm sure we won't be able to change your mind!
Even though you are blinded with bias if you had enough games played on those two I think you would at least admit it to yourself that you are wrong!

Never, I played a ton of Spiderman and I see what you're saying but the theme of SM kills it for me and maybe vice versa with ST for you fellas. I'm sticking to my guns and declare STLE the fastest flowing game currently available. But I do respect SM as a close 2nd or 3rd, IM, Met and TWDLE are pretty good candidates in the speed and flow category. I just love that there are so many as I do prefer that style of gameplay to stop an go.

#66 9 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

TWDLE are pretty good candidates in the speed and flow category

Glad to hear that, I'll be setting mine up tomorrow, already have the beer iced down!

#67 9 years ago

Is see guys bug you about being a coors light man and if that's true then we have one thing that for sure we can both agree upon as that's my beer of choice. Love it, Although I think in Canada light beer is 4% and you guys its 3.5, not sure. Anyway you're going to love TWDLE, enjoy.

#68 9 years ago

Must agree w Ice...you can get in a " groove" w SM, and it just is a really fun, fast flowing game...think the callouts fit great, and just a classic on its own, period, IMO....I'll leave it alone for awhile, but never disappoints when I go back to it......definitely a keeper for me....mark

#69 9 years ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

Best flow - and the win goes to .... Black Knight. Fast, furious and fun.

I have to agree that 4-flipper games have better flow than 2-flipper games.

GL, BK and Seawitch all have great flow...

GL has the best flow of any game I've ever played.

-mof

#70 9 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

STLE is the better game, cased closed.

#71 9 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

I can't believe anyone could deem STLE shallow and SM as a deeper game. Please explain? Yes they are different in gameplay but equally filled with lots to do and with STLE having a great lightshow, better theme for me anyway and truly fastest, smoothest flow it beats SM and AC/DC but hey that's just like my opinion man.

I think you've been blinded by ST lasers. ST shoots nice but the code is awful. Hopefully Lyman some day gets around to it and does a total reboot of the game code.

#72 9 years ago
Quoted from smassa:

Hopefully Lyman some day gets around to it and does a total reboot of the game code.

Yes - hopefully! One of my biggest disappointments which ended in a nearly 1k loss since nobody wanted to buy it... which I totally understand!

#73 9 years ago

Putting it in perspective - ST/STLE is no doubt an excellent pin all around. I own a ST pro and love it. I played and would like to own a SM and believe its an excellent pin too. However, the more I play SM, the more I appreciate what gameplay, challenges, sound and overall theme of ST.

#74 9 years ago
#75 9 years ago
Quoted from JonH123:

SM or STLE. Why choose between the two? Why not just get both?

Because then you have a ST taking up space

#76 9 years ago
#77 9 years ago

Close thread. I heard Ice suggest TWD is now better than SM. Two words: honey, moon.

#78 9 years ago
Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

Close thread. I heard Ice suggest TWD is now better than SM. Two words: honey, moon.

"POTENTIAL" to be better than SM, and I think it will be when Lyman gets done with it!

#79 9 years ago

You love the honeymoon phase, I told you on another thread it doesn't apply here. Its ok to think that and I understand where you are coming from but please know that TWDLE really is something special. If I was you I would sell AVLE fast and pick up at least a TWD pro.
I think that TWDLE is going to be one of those hard to find and expensive LE's like AC/DC and Tron. Even though 600 are made will still be difficult, I could be wrong.

#80 9 years ago

I don't think twd has the layout to be better than spiderman.

#81 9 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

You love the honeymoon phase, I told you on another thread it doesn't apply here. Its ok to think that and I understand where you are coming from but please know that TWDLE really is something special. If I was you I would sell AVLE fast and pick up at least a TWD pro.
I think that TWDLE is going to be one of those hard to find and expensive LE's like AC/DC and Tron. Even though 600 are made will still be difficult, I could be wrong.

When you are on your honeymoon and you say "I'm so in love, and it's NOT the honeymoon phase!", you may be telling the truth, but it sounds funny! It's a cliche for a reason.

I hope you're right about TWDLE, and I hope they make and sell a million Premiums. Once the code is done I might buy one.

I'd love to sell my AVLE. I just can't find anyone stupid enough to buy it.

#82 9 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

I think it does, let's get the full rules in and see. The shots, flow and combos are spectacular, and the use of the magnets so far add some excellent randomness. Great theme integration so far.

I love em both. What can I say, the sound and light show on TWD is just far superior.

TFA, the code is better than ST right now, because ST blows imo

#83 9 years ago

When you are on your honeymoon and you say "I'm so in love, and it's NOT the honeymoon phase!", you may be telling the truth, but it sounds funny! It's a cliche for a reason.
I hope you're right about TWDLE, and I hope they make and sell a million Premiums. Once the code is done I might buy one.
I'd love to sell my AVLE. I just can't find anyone stupid enough to buy it.

Fair enough, we all want great games. If you like AVLE then I'm glad for you. I liked IJ4 so taste differs.

#84 9 years ago

Lets see, SM has best flow and TWD has potential to be better. Yup, iceman44 owns them both..

#85 9 years ago
Quoted from ZenTron:

Lets see, SM has best flow and TWD has potential to be better. Yup, iceman44 owns them both..

But I own Ac/dc and Lotr too and I'm not saying that about those two You would probably say ST and IM because you own those two even though you'd be wrong, just because IM is brutal fast doesn't mean it has great flow, it doesn't

#86 9 years ago

I just don't see ST aging well. The ramps are cool, but cheaply made. SM will always be a solid/fast pin with more lanes.

#87 9 years ago

The best ramps/flow of any recent Stern game is Tron LE.

#88 9 years ago

DM feels more "flowy" to me than SM. I'd define flow as non-stop where speed takes a lesser role.

#89 9 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

I think it does, let's get the full rules in and see. The shots, flow and combos are spectacular, and the use of the magnets so far add some excellent randomness. Great theme integration so far.
I love em both. What can I say, the sound and light show on TWD is just far superior.
TFA, the code is better than ST right now, because ST blows imo

Right pop needs to be turned off otherwise it has very little flow

#90 9 years ago
Quoted from mof:

GL has the best flow of any game I've ever played.
-mof

so then GL must be your educated guess...

#91 9 years ago

Star Trek Premium/LE destroys Spiderman.

Ritchie doesn't even have SM in his home.

#92 9 years ago

I played a SM last night and the ramps do flow nicely. However, there was a STLE sitting next to it and it was more fun.

I guess it's subjective!

#93 9 years ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

so then GL must be your educated guess...

GL or Seawitch. I'd need to play them back to back to be sure.
No worries -- Not everyone has the same definition of flow...
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-is-flow
Some people still consider a game that traps a ball for 7+ seconds, while showing a DMD animation as "flow". Hehe.

-mof

#94 9 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

Holy shit I finally agree with something you said!

TWD has too many shots that end up in the pops where SM has control gates to bypass them during combos. This fact alone makes SM flow much better.

#95 9 years ago

Flow is only a part of what may or may not make a game "fun" ... too many people try to equate the two.

Anyone disagree that Orbitor 1 is THE ultimate flow game?

#96 9 years ago
Quoted from smassa:

Holy shit I finally agree with something you said!
TWD has too many shots that end up in the pops where SM has control gates to bypass them during combos. This fact alone makes SM flow much better.

Dang Smassa, you go through pins like shit through a goose!

There is actually only one shot that ends up in the pops, Riot lane, if you hit the tunnel shot clean its a screaming loop and a great combo shot.

When my ball does go into the pops it has a lot more random action and spends less time in there than Ac/dc, we know exactly how its coming out of those pops, every time.

#97 9 years ago

The only time I played SM was at the Pinball Expo and it was a blast.

Maybe it was the flow or it could be blasting the Sandman.

#98 9 years ago

What about TRON? I vote for Tron Best pin ever!

#99 9 years ago

How about a poll???

#100 9 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Dang Smassa, you go through pins like shit through a goose!
There is actually only one shot that ends up in the pops, Riot lane, if you hit the tunnel shot clean its a screaming loop and a great combo shot.
When my ball does go into the pops it has a lot more random action and spends less time in there than Ac/dc, we know exactly how its coming out of those pops, every time.

I dunno the pro I played had 3 shots that lead the the Bermuda Triangle (pops). The left loop, Inner 2x shot and Woodbury. If that area had some gates that could control if the ball passed by or went to pops it would play much better. Just a poor design IMO.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 109.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Sadsburyville, PA
$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Ponte Vedra Beach, FL
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Commack, NY
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 19.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

$ 12.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 45.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 12.95
$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 87.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 24.95
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 169 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sm-is-there-a-better-flow-pin-than-sm/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.