SDC10586.JPG
SDC10581.JPG
SDC10585.JPG
SDC10583.JPG
SDC10580.JPG
SMSL.jpg
SMeject2.jpg
SMeject1.jpg
There are 119 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
#1 12 years ago

I just picked up a HUO SM Red and can't wait to set it up.

Are there any must have mods for SM? Have you seen the Steve Ritchie Side Armor? The photos look great. Do LEDs work well with this game?

I will be installing the Cliffy ramp protector. Is there anything else that should be used to keep the game pristine?

Thanks,
Mike

#2 12 years ago

LEDs look fantastic in the game. Do you have the Cliffy ramp protector? Not to take money out of his hands but I think I have so Cliffys from Stern games left over that I could send to you...

#3 12 years ago

Color matching the GI lights and flashers to the plastic's looks really cool. The FF sub woofer sounds great as well

#4 12 years ago

Must haves;
Cliffy ramp protector. I also put in the AFM bank protector, same thing.
Put a mylar disk over or around the magnet.
Leg protectors if it doesn't have it already.
Plastic protectors from Pinbits, particularly over the sandman.
Pinbits drop dead foam inside Doc Oc's stop.

Not exactly a must have but the Shaker is done really well on this game.

Every thing else is pure looks IMO but nice.

It looks great with Super LEDs in the inserts, however mine strobes a lot. Eventually I will buy some noflix super plus LEDs.

#5 12 years ago

The shaker is a must! Sandman plastic protector is as well. I have Back Alley Creations building and train mods as well as Pinbits webbed slingshot protectors.

IMG_1642.JPGIMG_1642.JPG

#6 12 years ago
Quoted from The_Gorilla:

LEDs look fantastic in the game. Do you have the Cliffy ramp protector? Not to take money out of his hands but I think I have so Cliffys from Stern games left over that I could send to you...

Wow, thank you very much for the offer.

You will think this is nuts, but I actually got the Cliffy before I got the game. I bought it about a year ago. I somehow thought purchasing this part would end my procrastinating and force me to finally buy the game.

Regards,
Mike

#7 12 years ago
Quoted from shock_me:

The shaker is a must! Sandman plastic protector is as well. I have Back Alley Creations building and train mods as well as Pinbits webbed slingshot protectors.

Attachments IMG_1642.JPG (298.5 KB, 0 downloads) 2 minutes old

awesome mod. gotta get it for my sm black.

#8 12 years ago

Here's a shot with the target decals from Pinball Decals. They really finish the game off IMO.

img_2449.jpgimg_2449.jpg img_2450.jpgimg_2450.jpg

#9 12 years ago
Quoted from Mike_J:

I actually got the Cliffy before I got the game.

Hmmmm.. maybe I should buy some MM Cliffys, just in case???

You're welcome though, just wanted to help. Good luck with the game. It is stinking awesome!

(even w/out mods)

#10 12 years ago

shaker motor,sub woofer and Led Lights make for great experience!

#11 12 years ago

nice machine shock_me! where's the kitchen sink. i still only have modded with a subwoofer under the machine split with my tz. i have some work to do.

#12 12 years ago

Under cabinet red lighting from Pinball life look great on this game. Also get the pinball life green goblin and venom lighting kits. I don't like complete LED games. Those two kits are good enough o this game. Totally buy the shaker motor. Pinbits web plastic protectors are tops on my list. I have the Back Alley building set and have not yet installed. Matt did a terrific job on it. The side armor if it can actually be seen is neat. I'm not a big side armor person since mine are in a row. Not a bang for the buck investment for me.

Anyone else sell pinball target decals besides pinball decals? So damn expensive.

#13 12 years ago
Quoted from badbilly27:

Anyone else sell pinball target decals besides pinball decals? So damn expensive.

Pinball Life has them. Not terribly cheap there either...

#14 12 years ago

The PDI decals are not cheap, but they are worth it. Terry wouldn't sell them at Pinball Life if he didn't think so. They are of very high quality, and really do finish the game off nicely.

#15 12 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

The PDI decals are not cheap, but they are worth it. Terry wouldn't sell them at Pinball Life if he didn't think so. They are of very high quality, and really do finish the game off nicely.

Agreed.

#16 12 years ago

sandman mod backalley creations, colored webs,spiderman eye sling plastic, matt mckee topper

!cid_0120120314.jpg!cid_0120120314.jpg !cid_0120120315.jpg!cid_0120120315.jpg !cid_0120120316.jpg!cid_0120120316.jpg !cid_1112111742a.jpg!cid_1112111742a.jpg

#17 12 years ago

Here is a video of my SM pimped out.

#19 12 years ago

I've done quite a few mods to the NIB SM I brought back in September.

Black webbed armoured side rails
Pinbits (blue acrylic) web etched protector set
LED doc ock tenticles/arms
LED colour matched single villian flasher
And one of the easiest mods ive done is Blue/Red custom flipper buttons

Think that's it.

#20 12 years ago

Cointaker do you have the under cabinet lighting wired into the flashers?Thanks

#21 12 years ago

Really nice stuff, guys.

Thanks for the replies.

#22 12 years ago

Yeah the Back Alley stuff is amazing.. Matt does great work. We were talking about doing a combined effort but that was before he got hired by JJP lol.. he's a little busy now, me thinks.

#23 12 years ago
Quoted from biglaw:

sandman mod backalley creations, colored webs,spiderman eye sling plastic, matt mckee topper

Attachments !cid_1112111742a.jpg (71.1 KB, 0 downloads) 8 hours old !cid_0120120316.jpg (89.1 KB, 0 downloads) 8 hours old !cid_0120120315.jpg (103.2 KB, 0 downloads) 8 hours old !cid_0120120314.jpg (112.9 KB, 0 downloads) 8 hours old

That sure is a nice Spidey...must have got that from a real good guy..

#24 12 years ago

TZ you are a Kentucky fan from Tennesee or are you a transplant?

#25 12 years ago

So everyone knows TZ68 and I done a little trading my MB for his Spidey of course i had to pimp it out a little more. but he did have the cointaker superbrites and eye sling plastics in it already. and yes hes a super good guy.

#26 12 years ago

Am I the only one that is not a big fan of the only topper available for SM? The title Spider-Man is on the back glass do we really need that written on the topper inches above it? Just wish it was a different design I guess. Don't want to hate just not my favorite those that like it no offense intended. Just wondering if there is anything else someone has come up with that may be better.

#27 12 years ago

Other than lite flipper buttons has anyone else done a split colour flipper button mod on spidey? Just wondering if I'm the only one who had the daft idea and did it lol.

#28 12 years ago
Quoted from shock_me:

Quoted from biglaw:

Do the Back Alley buildings clutter the playfield at all in your opinion?

I'm really tempted to add them to mine, but they look like they might take up too much space even though they look fantastic.

#29 12 years ago

to me they fill in a space that looks like something should be there. and they do look as good in person as they do in pic. just my opinion. everyones different

#30 12 years ago
Quoted from biglaw:

to me they fill in a space that looks like something should be there. and they do look as good in person as they do in pic. just my opinion. everyones different

+1

I agree. Fills in space. The sign of a good mod is that it looks like it should be there in the first place. When I see a SM without them, it looks stripped.

#31 12 years ago

I don't have a SM (yet) but I've seen the Back Alley mods and they're great. They cover the otherwise pretty boring ramp on the left. And they look amazing.. Matt did a great job sculpting these.

#32 12 years ago
Quoted from biglaw:

Quoted from jimjim66:

I agree. Fills in space. The sign of a good mod is that it looks like it should be there in the first place. When I see a SM without them, it looks stripped.

Quoted from pinball_customs:

I don't have a SM (yet) but I've seen the Back Alley mods and they're great. They cover the otherwise pretty boring ramp on the left. And they look amazing.. Matt did a great job sculpting these.

Thanks guys! Well it looks like I'm going to be placing an order to add these to my SM. The Back Alley stuff does look awesome in the pics. Looking forward to finally seeing them in person.

1 month later
#33 12 years ago
Quoted from The_Dude_Abides:

Am I the only one that is not a big fan of the only topper available for SM? The title Spider-Man is on the back glass do we really need that written on the topper inches above it? Just wish it was a different design I guess...

It's very nice, but I wish someone would come up with another option, too.

The redundancy seems a bit out of place; same thing with the blue FGY topper.

The old Williams' topper designs announced the game's title--not duplicated it.

Apologies if my review appears negative--as my intent is only to spur more creativity and have more options available to hobbyists.

Backbox_&_Topper.jpgBackbox_&_Topper.jpg

#34 12 years ago
Quoted from CoinTaker:

Here is a video of my SM pimped out.

I like the under cabinet multi-color flashers!!I have under cabinet lights,but those add moe excitement!

#35 12 years ago

Am I the only one that is not a big fan of the only topper available for SM? The title Spider-Man is on the back glass do we really need that written on the topper inches above it? Just wish it was a different design I guess. Don't want to hate just not my favorite those that like it no offense intended. Just wondering if there is anything else someone has come up with that may be better.

No, I asked if he would make one with just the webbing for the same reason, to me it looks redundant.
If one is made like that I will buy it.

I elected to skip the protector for the Sandman plastic, instead I ran longer screws up from the bottom and used rubber barrel nuts on top.
A ball strike will pop the nuts off instead of breaking the plastic.
I also put on the shorter black lightning bolt flippers to make it a little more challenging.

#36 12 years ago

The red DMD cover from pinbits and the shaker are the absolute must haves for this game.

#37 12 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

The red DMD cover from pinbits and the shaker are the absolute must haves for this game.

So is the backboard lighting and flasher mod, just did this to my Elvis, the Vegas style sign now chases like the real thing along with GI and flashers, the way it should have been done from the factory.

#38 12 years ago

In addition to all that I use color changing led's in the W E B lanes up top and it looks really cool!

#39 12 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

In addition to all that I use color changing led's in the W E B lanes up top and it looks really cool!

I bet it does, just added that to the list.
Thanks for the idea.

#40 12 years ago

Go for it Jar!...I should have mine in this week and I'll give you my take on it...

#41 12 years ago
Quoted from tracelifter:

So is the backboard lighting and flasher mod, just did this to my Elvis, the Vegas style sign now chases like the real thing along with GI and flashers, the way it should have been done from the factory.

Got a how-to link on that?

#42 12 years ago

I was thinking the color changer might look cool in the Superhero insert to set that one apart from the others.

#43 12 years ago
Quoted from NM:

tracelifter said:So is the backboard lighting and flasher mod, just did this to my Elvis, the Vegas style sign now chases like the real thing along with GI and flashers, the way it should have been done from the factory.
Got a how-to link on that?

http://arcadeupkeep.com/#/design-your-own/4555105670

Tell Brandon what you want the system to do and give him the pinouts for flashers and location.
Elvis came out better than I expected, if anyone knows how to post the vid I can send them a short clip.

#44 12 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Yea it really does look cool I did it as well and loved how it looked.

Quoted from DCFAN:

I was thinking the color changer might look cool in the Superhero insert to set that one apart from the others.

In attract mode does look cool and stand apart from the others. I'd recommend giving it a shot I like how it looked in there myself.

#45 12 years ago

iceman44 said:

Yea it really does look cool I did it as well and loved how it looked.
DCFAN said:

In attract mode does look cool and stand apart from the others. I'd recommend giving it a shot I like how it looked in there myself.

Did you sell your SM? You speak in past tense and don't have your machines listed anymore.

#46 12 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

Did you sell your SM? You speak in past tense and don't have your machines listed anymore.

No SM will not be leaving the collection it is my favorite pin of all time!

#47 12 years ago

DCFAN said:Did you sell your SM? You speak in past tense and don't have your machines listed anymore.

No SM will not be leaving the collection it is my favorite pin of all time!

Great to hear. I was starting to worry about you.
PBL just added a color changing light kit for stern machines.
I am going to try that with the Mckee topper and an added feature.
I will post pictures in about a week if it looks good.
I think the mckee topper is ok, but is too simple and needs a little extra decoration to set it apart from the backglass

#48 12 years ago

White rubber
Cliffy ramp protector
Upgraded sound Sub
Spidey sense mod
Doug

034.JPG034.JPG

#49 12 years ago

and Back Alley Creations slings and spidey sense plastics
Doug

#50 12 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Go for it Jar!...I should have mine in this week and I'll give you my take on it...

You have the BAC buildings coming this week Ice?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fairfield, CT
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 25.50
$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Rockford, IL
$ 79.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Arcade Upkeep

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 25.95
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 16.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods

Machine - For Sale
Lombard, IL
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

arcade-cabinets.com

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

arcade-cabinets.com

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 119 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sm-any-must-have-mods and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.