(Topic ID: 207897)

Sluggish drop targets: any tips for cleaning?

By riggy469

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 19 posts
  • 14 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by dsuperbee
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Shadow Drop After (resized).jpg
Shadow Drop Before (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
#1 6 years ago

Hi all,

I have two games I’ve been sleeping on getting to 100%, a Pool Sharks and Maverick. Both work great except the drop targets. When hit, they lower at a snails pace. Any hints / tips on cleaning them before I dig in tomorrow?

#2 6 years ago

Lots of pictures, lots of notes. Assuming they are assembled right now, get things back in the same spots and order.

Once apart, any cleaner like 409 or Fantastic will do the trick.

Reassemble. Don't oil or grease, or you'll be doing it again soon.

LTG : )

#4 6 years ago

I disassemble drop target assemblies and clean all the parts in and ultrasonic cleaner with half water and half simple green. I love the ultrasonic but if you don’t have one I have had great success cleaning wth the simple green.

#5 6 years ago

I replaced my rubber on a game and had noticed a single target slightly bent. The new rubber is thicker, and so I've got one target that does what you have as it catches and drops very slowly.

Also, when I originally took my drop bank apart I found a few bent pieces. Look for that as well.

2 years later
#6 3 years ago

Garage door mech lubricant ! Just used on my ps and they wouldn’t even lower without being pressed before. One spurt on each assembly and 10 min later. PERFECT

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#7 3 years ago
Quoted from Nickadee912:

Garage door mech lubricant ! Just used on my ps and they wouldn’t even lower without being pressed before. One spurt on each assembly and 10 min later. PERFECT
[quoted image]

I wouldn't use anything like that to lubricate. Pull the assembly apart and clean everything with alcohol or an equivalent to get any gumminess or dried lubricant out of there. Install new springs if needed and wax the surfaces that touch in the assembly. They should work great after that.

#8 3 years ago
Quoted from Nickadee912:

[quoted image]

While lubricants can work in the short term, they gum everything up after a while. There are only two places where lubricants/grease are used on pinball machines that I can think of: gearboxes and rivet contacts on EM unit assemblies.

Just fully clean everything, replace any worn out springs, and the drops should then be working as good as new and should stay that way for a long time.

#9 3 years ago
Quoted from Nickadee912:

So, basically WD-40.

It's your machine and you can do whatever you want to it, but that's not the correct way to fix this.

#10 3 years ago
Quoted from Nickadee912:

[quoted image]

DO NOT use something like this. Just take it apart and clean it properly.

Flammable, too.

#11 3 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

DO NOT use something like this. Just take it apart and clean it properly.
Flammable, too.

Simple Green and a toothbrush.

Shadow Drop Before (resized).jpgShadow Drop Before (resized).jpgShadow Drop After (resized).jpgShadow Drop After (resized).jpg
#12 3 years ago

Lubricant + Time = Adhesive

Don C.

#13 3 years ago
Quoted from Don_C:

Lubricant + Time = Adhesive

absolutely agree and trying to get it off is no fun

#14 3 years ago

Plus, it can make your fingernails really dirty

1 month later
#15 3 years ago

I know from experience grease is bad but here's the question ....Has anyone ever tried dry lube that is not supposed to attract dust on the targets ?

#16 3 years ago
Quoted from the9gman:

I know from experience grease is bad but here's the question ....Has anyone ever tried dry lube that is not supposed to attract dust on the targets ?

Yes, that was actually the recommended lubricant from various manufacturers. It still attracts dust.

#17 3 years ago

How about something used to juice spinners such as Superlube PTFE?

#18 3 years ago

The thing is, properly installed and clean drop targets work just fine without lube. What is the gain desired by adding something?

#19 3 years ago
Quoted from RatShack:

How about something used to juice spinners such as Superlube PTFE?

What I've done on my spinners:

First, get the spinner out of the holder. Then starting with 800 grit and working up to 2000, sand the arms where they ride in the holder. Re-assemble. Then using a q tip, get some zoom spout oil on those arms. A little goes a long, long way.

Enjoy your light speed spinners.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 60.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Maverick Reproductions

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

3,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Richmond, VA
$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 29.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

2,856 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Erie, PA
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

2,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Nashua, NH
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 259.00
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sluggish-drop-targets-any-tips-for-cleaning?hl=scoot and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.