Topic Stats

• 16 posts
  • 14 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by barakandl
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 3 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

20150519_080757.jpg
image.jpg
$_58.JPG

#1 4 years ago

Does anyone know what baseball cards were originally provided with Slugfest games from the manufacturer/distributors back in 1991 when they were shipping brand new?

#2 4 years ago

Were they provided with cards or did you have to supply your own?

--Luke

#3 4 years ago
Quoted from HighNoon:

Were they provided with cards or did you have to supply your own?
--Luke

According to the flyer, Slugfest came with baseball cards, and you could order replacement cards through your distributor:
http://www.ipdb.org/images/5949/image-2.jpg

#4 4 years ago

1991 Topps 500 card boxes

$_58.JPG

#5 4 years ago
Quoted from PinB:

According to the flyer, SlugFest came with baseball cards, and you could order replacement cards through your distributor:
http://www.ipdb.org/images/5949/image-2.jpg

Cool!

--Luke

#6 4 years ago

I played a few of them when they came out. They all had 91 topps cards

#7 4 years ago

I used to collect Baseball cards hard core from 1980-90. I sold them all off before I went to college. Lucky timing I guess.

#8 4 years ago

I traded my Slugfest, but still have a few boxes of cards.

That blue package pictured above looks like the one I spent too much money to buy with the claim it was an original SF card refill set. I think I still have it and never used it if anyone's interested in buying.

I later discovered the term "vending cards" and found much cheaper boxes of compatible cards from the late 80s on eBay.

#9 4 years ago

Here's the cards. The Topps are too glossy and screw with the eye in the machine mistakenly sending a "stuck card" signal and ending the deal out cycle. Remember to always load them picture facing the back of the machine. Love my slugfest. I went to look at a car being sold by a body shop and somehow I buy a slugfest out of his office for $250

image.jpg
#10 4 years ago
Quoted from embryonjohn:

Here's the cards. The Topps are too glossy and screw with the eye in the machine mistakenly sending a "stuck card" signal and ending the deal out cycle. Remember to always load them picture facing the back of the machine. Love my slugfest. I went to look at a car being sold by a body shop and somehow I buy a slugfest out of his office for $250

image.jpg (Click image to enlarge)

I knew there was a reason the blue pack looked familiar.

I have both.

The Topps ones worked fine for me. They have a matte side that is supposed to face the roller. I don't know whether or not the original ones had a glossy side, but maybe they didn't. I think it's just an opto sensor that detects if a card has dropped. Can a glossy surface interfere with that?

20150519_080757.jpg
#11 4 years ago

Fwiw, I operated these games when they were new. You must use the cards with the plain cardboard backing. The cards that are slick on both side will not work, the rubber wheels will not grip them. Also, very important to insert the cards with the rough side facing the wheels. We eventually gave up and took the units off the machines after about a year. If I remember right, the card companies all went to the nicer glossy cards right after the machine came out, making it hard to vend current year cards.
Paul

#12 4 years ago

I found some Topps cards called the Heritage series. They look like the old type with the matte finish and are a little thicker than the glossy ones, and they have all the CURRENT players.
They worked good in the dispencer.

#13 4 years ago

The ones near me had upper deck cards!

#14 4 years ago

Ah, vending box. That is what I need to look for to get unwrapped cards.

I just obtained a Slugfest, and it had a combination of cards still inside:
-Fleer Ultra '93 which are gloss front and back.
-Score '91 which are matte front and back.

The cards are not sticky, but most are stuck together in a big block, probably from being compressed in the card dispenser for a long time. Hopefully, if I buy an old vending box of cards, they won't be stuck together.

Once I get the CPU baord back in, I will check the operation of each type.

#15 4 years ago

Anyone have a clean working slugfest card dispenser assembly for sale ? Let me know.

Thanks Martin

#16 4 years ago

I remember back in the day slug fests near me always paid out topps 91 or 92 baseball cards. There was a few slugfests around town and was a popular game.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 99.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Sales
$ 21.00
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 28.00
$ 14.99
Electronics
PinballElectronics.com
Machine - For Sale
Rochester, NY
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside