IMG_8232 (resized).jpeg
798E11EC-241D-4BC7-8013-F64C3A28736D (resized).jpeg
20230904_102325 (resized).jpg
20230904_102317 (resized).jpg
20230904_104024 (resized).jpg
340094960_150912154309221_1307969109799909374_n (resized).jpg
00015 (resized).jpg
20230219_144799 (resized).jpg
There are 1,541 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 31.
#51 5 years ago

can someone post a pic of the bottom part of the ramp? mine is missing the part that comes in contact with the oval part that pushes it up. if anyone has an extra ramp for sale or knows where i can fine one, let me know.

#52 5 years ago
Quoted from TwoHeartedMale:

can someone post a pic of the bottom part of the ramp? mine is missing the part that comes in contact with the oval part that pushes it up. if anyone has an extra ramp for sale or knows where i can fine one, let me know.

2 pictures here..

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/slugfest-ramp-does-not-go-high-enough-to-make-home-runs

#53 5 years ago
Quoted from pacman11:

My bat button and steal button just quit working. Anyone know what connector is that on the driverboard?

Both of those switches are on column 2 (Red-Green wire).

So there is probably something wrong with that wire. Check the other things on that line like the slam tilt, does that work?

Switch Matrix (resized).jpgSwitch Matrix (resized).jpg

I would reseat Connectors J6, J3, J1 & J212. J212 is the CPU connector

Robert

Coin Door Interface Schematic (resized).jpgCoin Door Interface Schematic (resized).jpg
#54 5 years ago

will we be able to buy these online?

No, I just made a couple for my personal use.

Robert

#55 5 years ago
Quoted from MrSanRamon:

Both of those switches are on column 2 (Red-Green wire).
So there is probably something wrong with that wire. Check the other things on that line like the slam tilt, does that work?

I would reseat Connectors J6, J3, J1 & J212. J212 is the CPU connector
Robert

Thanks I'll check it out tonight after work.

#56 5 years ago

Slugfest is just good fun.

Sometimes my pitches all have curve to them. Not always, but sometimes even throwing a change up will act like a curve. What would cause that to happen randomly?

#57 5 years ago
Quoted from pacman11:

My bat button and steal button just quit working. Anyone know what connector is that on the driverboard?

Take a look at the wiring under the panel and the two Z connectors that are inline with the cables there. You can reach inside the coin door and release to two latches and the panel comes up. Wires often fall off the buttons and Z connectors.

#58 5 years ago
Quoted from Neal_W:

Take a look at the wiring under the panel and the two Z connectors that are inline with the cables there. You can reach inside the coin door and release to two latches and the panel comes up. Wires often fall off the buttons and Z connectors.

Thanks I already have, I put my DMM on it and I have continuity to the little tiny circuitboard that's mounted on the inside of the cabinet.

#59 5 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

Slugfest is just good fun.
Sometimes my pitches all have curve to them. Not always, but sometimes even throwing a change up will act like a curve. What would cause that to happen randomly?

Are you talking single player? If you are playing single player all pitches are random regardless of the button you push.

#60 5 years ago
Quoted from roar:

Are you talking single player? If you are playing single player all pitches are random regardless of the button you push.

Happened during two player mode the other day.

#61 5 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

Not always, but sometimes even throwing a change up will act like a curve. What would cause that to happen randomly?

There is probably some residual magnetism in the magnet and in some of the balls.

The game has 6 balls, so if one or two are magnetized and you throw various pitches...occasionally a magnetized ball will be thrown when you choose "change up" and then you probably get a slight curve.

Robert

#62 5 years ago

would anyone be willing to take measurements of this post on the bottom of the ramp? It would really help me with making a replacement. thanks

fit it 2 (resized).jpgfit it 2 (resized).jpg
#63 5 years ago
Quoted from chad:

Hopefully they can also make the button insert sets.

I saw your post in the general forum, but I'm going to put my response here.

You could make you own inserts. There are 4 colors: yellow, white, red and green.

Get some craft paper in those colors and print out the 8 text inserts on their appropriate color paper.

Then print out the 1 and 2 person inserts on white craft paper.

Button 1 Player (resized).jpgButton 1 Player (resized).jpg

Button 2 Player (resized).jpgButton 2 Player (resized).jpg

I personally didn't go this route, I bought a new set of buttons from Mad Amusement for $60. These buttons come with a new housing, new bulbs, new plastic lens, new micro-switches, new spring mechanism and new inserts.

Eventually you will need to replace the switches or the spring mechanism, as 1 or 2 were intermittent on my machine, and my machine was in excellent condition.

Also, when I tried to get the existing switches apart, I broke at least 1/2 of them. So I personal think that just trying to replace the inserts is not the best option.

Robert

#64 5 years ago

would anyone be willing to take measurements of this post on the bottom of the ramp? It would really help me with making a replacement.

I believe that the p/n of the piece you want is A-14289...which is not available, at least from suppliers.

I believe that a replacement for the broken off piece could be made and attached...see sketch below.

I made some measurements. The pin (that the cam rides on) diameter is 0.25 inches.

The distance from the bottom of the black plastic piece, to the center line of the pin is 1.57 inches

The outside width of the 2 plastic pieces that come from the bottom of the black plastic piece (that holds the 0.25" pin) is about 1 inch.

The width of each of the plastic arms that hold the pin is about 0.15 inches.

I took a picture (which sucks), but it shows the existing screw I think you could use...just get a bit longer screw.

Ramp Protrusion (resized).jpgRamp Protrusion (resized).jpg

A sketch of a possible fix...

Ramp Fix Sketch (resized).jpgRamp Fix Sketch (resized).jpg

Good luck!

Robert

#65 5 years ago

Wife's grand daughter and neighbor girl have been playing Slugfest...this game is by far the most popular with kids than any other game.

Second place would be NBA Fastbreak.

Robert

#66 5 years ago

Slugfest Parts Manual.

Robert

Williams_1991_SlugFest_First_Model_Parts_Catalog_Supplement_16_9190_B_selected_pages.pdfWilliams_1991_SlugFest_First_Model_Parts_Catalog_Supplement_16_9190_B_selected_pages.pdf

#67 5 years ago

Slugfest Lamp Matrix.

Lamp Matrix (resized).jpgLamp Matrix (resized).jpg

#68 5 years ago

I feel so much better that Robert is learning all the ins and outs of this machine Keep it up Robert ....

#69 5 years ago

Anyone have any suggestions for what locks to use on the back door and head unit? I need to replace them.

#70 5 years ago

Anyone have any suggestions for what locks to use on the back door and head unit? I need to replace them.

Looks lime standard 7/8" locks.

#71 5 years ago

Hey Robert do you have a picture or anyone of the cpu? My J212 connector is missing or plugged into something.

38797174-5584-4F55-A70A-FE9A14A008A9 (resized).jpeg38797174-5584-4F55-A70A-FE9A14A008A9 (resized).jpeg
#72 5 years ago

Are these switches on the last three switches correct? Green/red wire is on top

2A07A239-3E74-4E31-AE22-161D819D93D5 (resized).jpeg2A07A239-3E74-4E31-AE22-161D819D93D5 (resized).jpeg
#73 5 years ago

Nothing plugs into 212...at least on my machine.

Robert

#74 5 years ago

The "green" wire is always on top in every switch.

Robert

#75 5 years ago

Think I may have found out what’s going on. I unplugged the red/green wire on the steal switch and plugged it in and now it’s workinh. Must of been a bad connection. Maybe I’ll sand the tab a little on that switch so it gets a better connection. Thanks for your help Robert!

#76 5 years ago
Quoted from pacman11:

Think I may have found out what’s going on. I unplugged the red/green wire on the steal switch and plugged it in and now it’s workinh. Must of been a bad connection. Maybe I’ll sand the tab a little on that switch so it gets a better connection. Thanks for your help Robert!

No problem!

#77 5 years ago

i just installed new buttons from mad, they look great and it was very easy to install. i don't think they have alot left.

http://mad-amusements.com/product.php?id_product=110

#78 5 years ago

i just installed new buttons from mad, they look great and it was very easy to install.

Great.

#79 5 years ago

I'm expecting the replacement control panel overlay I had made to show up today.

Hope it turns out okay, so I can change out mine.

Robert

#80 5 years ago

I've been thinking of adding inside art to my Slugfest, so I made a paper prototype today.

It does add a little something to the game, those are large empty open side panels on Slugfest.

Not sure if I'll print it out yet. Any comments?

Robert

IMG_20180618_104737 (resized).jpgIMG_20180618_104737 (resized).jpg

#81 5 years ago
Quoted from MrSanRamon:

I've been thinking of adding inside art to my Slugfest, so I made a paper prototype today.
It does add a little something to the game, those are large empty open side panels on Slugfest.
Not sure if I'll print it out yet. Any comments?
Robert

When I owned one I had the same thoughts... though I was looking into hiring an artist to draw in more fans with the same style as those found in the bleacher plastics. I find the difference in styles between what you've mocked up and the artwork on the game to be too different to be honest. I'm on side with the thought though entirely.

I also considered trying to track down the artist for the game to see if he/she was up for drawing some more and then crowd sourcing the project but I ended up moving the game along before taking it too far. This is a game that can only demand so much money and it would have taken an investment I would never have gotten back out of it if I took it any further.

#82 5 years ago

Well the Control Panel I had remake arrived today, and it looks really good. So when I get a chance, I'm going to put it on.

PPS has told me that they don't have any plans to remake and sell these panels, I took on this project so a could have a nice looking CP.

The original that is damaged, came flat and I've stored it that way. The control panels I remade came rolled up, so when I unrolled one to take a picture, a wrinkle appeared in the ends. It was rolled up for about a week and the panel slipped a bit on the backing.

When I rolled it back up the wrinkle went away, so I'll need to store these rolled up to keep the wrinkles from coming back and becoming permanent.

The only differences between the two is a slight color difference (the new one is a little bit darker) and the remake also doesn't have any holes precut in it. There was also a handwritten P/N on the lower LHS of the original that I took out. Other than that, they look identical and really good.

I'll just have to cut out the switch holes with a razor, after I stick it on the wooden panel support.

I'm really not looking forward to pulling the old one off and scraping the 27 year old glue off the panel support though!

Robert

The original CP:

Original CP Scratches (resized).jpgOriginal CP Scratches (resized).jpg

Remade CP:

First CP Order (resized).jpgFirst CP Order (resized).jpg

#83 5 years ago
Quoted from roar:

I find the difference in styles between what you've mocked up and the artwork on the game to be too different to be honest.

I had the same thought, which is why I tried the cartoon like people.

I also mocked up this one, which has real people:

IMG_20180618_162412 (resized).jpgIMG_20180618_162412 (resized).jpg

Robert

#84 5 years ago

I put some LED strip lights under the 2 plastics at the front of the playfield. Really brightens up a relatively dark playfield.

Robert

Lights Front Plastics (resized).jpgLights Front Plastics (resized).jpg

#85 5 years ago
Quoted from MrSanRamon:

I put some LED strip lights under the 2 plastics at the front of the playfield. Really brightens up a relatively dark playfield.

That looks good. I found replacing some bulbs with LEDs under the big white plastic above the bat made seeing the ball brighter and easier.

#86 5 years ago
Quoted from MrSanRamon:

Robert

how did you wire them? what LED strips did you use?

#87 5 years ago

how many balls do you guys have in your slug fest? i had four, but just added six more.

#88 5 years ago

The game uses 6 balls, per the manual.

Robert

#89 5 years ago

how did you wire them? what LED strips did you use?

I used these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01J77LIL6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00

With these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DM7HCAI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00

The LED tape doesn't come with connectors, so you need to buy some.

You just cut the tape to whatever length you need. There is a sissor mark at the middle of the copper contact pads. The tape has an adhesive backing, peal it off and stick the LED tape down.

The only hard part is having to trim the urethane led covering off the cut end to attach the connector. Be sure to match up the polarity of the tape, if you wire it backwards it won't light up.

The LEDs are 12vdc, so I attached them to a board in the front left of the cabinet. I put about 3 feet or so of wire between the LEDs and the connector so I can lift the playfield.

Robert

#90 5 years ago
Quoted from Neal_W:

That looks good. I found replacing some bulbs with LEDs under the big white plastic above the bat made seeing the ball brighter and easier.

I replaced all of those bulbs with LEDs, but the translucent white panel really cuts down the output of whatever you put in there, bulb or led.

Robert

#91 5 years ago

Same thing was done here in this thread... ‭

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/slugfest-restoration#post-3295178

Best looking Slugfest I’ve seen here... love the clearcoated sideart!

#92 5 years ago
Quoted from roar:

Same thing was done here in this thread... ‭
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/slugfest-restoration#post-3295178
Best looking Slugfest I’ve seen here... love the clearcoated sideart!

me too, thats my dream!

#93 5 years ago

If you want to replace the bumper strip that runs along both sides of the playfield you can get it here.

Robert

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/25-2002-00

#94 5 years ago
Quoted from MrSanRamon:

If you want to replace the bumper strip that runs along both sides of the playfield you can get it here.

Robert

https://www.marcospecialties.com/control/product

I get the following when I click the link:
Product not found for Product ID !

#95 5 years ago

I no longer own a Slugfest, but here's a pic showing the stadium lighting I did on my recent Slugfest. Really makes the playfield pop, gives nice even lighting and goes with the baseball theme.

slugfest1 (resized).jpgslugfest1 (resized).jpgslugfest2 (resized).jpgslugfest2 (resized).jpg
#96 5 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

here's a pic showing the stadium lighting

Looks really nice.

Robert

#97 5 years ago

If you ever have pitches not working - for example a 2 player game won't pitch a Change-Up, but you hear the sound effect for the pitch. Or during a one player game sometimes it doesn't pitch and you hear the sound effect (randomly chooses pitches in 1 player mode, so when it pitches the Change-Up it doesn't pitch).

Check the large cement resistors and replace the bad ones. My last game had a few burned resistors on the pitching board and they are very easy to replace.

#98 5 years ago
Quoted from eharan:

Product not found for Product ID

Link fixed...sorry.

Robert

#99 5 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

I no longer own a Slugfest, but here's a pic showing the stadium lighting I did on my recent Slugfest. Really makes the playfield pop, gives nice even lighting and goes with the baseball theme.

Details? Looks great.

#100 5 years ago

Post 100!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 22.50
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

2,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Wantagh, NY
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 40.00
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 1,541 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 31.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/slugfest-club-back-back-back-back%e2%80%a6-gone/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.