798E11EC-241D-4BC7-8013-F64C3A28736D (resized).jpeg
20230904_102325 (resized).jpg
20230904_102317 (resized).jpg
20230904_104024 (resized).jpg
340094960_150912154309221_1307969109799909374_n (resized).jpg
00015 (resized).jpg
20230219_144799 (resized).jpg
PXL_20230219_215550293 (resized).jpg

There are 1,539 posts in this topic. You are on page 11 of 31.
#501 5 years ago
Quoted from gearheaddropping:

Hoping someone out there is familiar with troubleshooting the card dispenser.
My card dispenser is installed and activated within the settings.
It ONLY dispenses cards (5) on the first hit home run......thats it. Nothing happens again until the game is reset. The light only comes on in the card dispenser after that first home run but does not come on when the game is first started.
The button within the card dispenser does nothing before or after that first home run is hit.
I don't see any adjustments or further tests within the software.
Any ideas on this? Any other ways to test it that are straightforward?
Thanks!

First, make sure you are using old cards that don’t have a glossy back. The cards need to be installed in the dispenser with the front of the cards facing the back of the machine.

You need to go into switch test and put your finger between the optos to see if they register. Those optos detect the cards when they come out. I bet those optos are not working. That’s why the machine only dispenses cards once. It can’t count how many cards are coming out and will stop dispensing. The light comes on to either tell the operator there is a problem or the cards are low.

#502 5 years ago

Hoping someone out there is familiar with troubleshooting the card dispenser.
My card dispenser is installed and activated within the settings.
It ONLY dispenses cards (5) on the first hit home run......thats it. Nothing happens again until the game is reset. The light only comes on in the card dispenser after that first home run but does not come on when the game is first started.
The button within the card dispenser does nothing before or after that first home run is hit.
I don't see any adjustments or further tests within the software.
Any ideas on this? Any other ways to test it that are straightforward?
Thanks!

Does it make an odd sound after dispensing the cards? When I had that problem, it was because the opto that "counts" cards wasn't working.

The game keeps running the motor, trying to "count" a card, and when it cycles several times without a count, it errors out until the game is powered off and back on again.

#503 5 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

First, make sure you are using old cards that don’t have a glossy back. The cards need to be installed in the dispenser with the front of the cards facing the back of the machine.
You need to go into switch test and put your finger between the optos to see if they register. Those optos detect the cards when they come out. I bet those optos are not working. That’s why the machine only dispenses cards once. It can’t count how many cards are coming out and will stop dispensing. The light comes on to either tell the operator there is a problem or the cards are low.

Yup, optos are not working. Going to change them this weekend and report back.

Thank you!!!

#504 5 years ago

Yup, optos are not working. Going to change them this weekend and report back.
Thank you!!!

Make sure that the wiring for the switch row / column is all connoted. My issue is that the green w/red column wire was disconnected to the coin door interface board causing the optos to not be connected down the line. Make sure things like the coin door switch are connected, or at least put the two green w/red column wires that go to the switch together. For me the optos themselves were fine.

#505 5 years ago

I'm in! Hiding it at my office, going to be a Christmas surprise for my boys..

20181207_175148 (resized).jpg20181207_175148 (resized).jpg
#506 5 years ago
Quoted from ltd73:

Kids love to play my Slugfest, it's a really fun game for 2 to play head-to-head.

Robert

#507 5 years ago
Quoted from ltd73:

[quoted image]

Awesome Christmas surprise!

#508 5 years ago

My two boys love slugfest. As do all the neighbor kids. Simple yet so darn fun playing against friends. Definitely get some old Donruss cards on eBay. I was able to get an entire unopened box of 1990 unglossy cards for $2.50. The shipping actually cost more than the cards.

#509 5 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

Make sure that the wiring for the switch row / column is all connoted. My issue is that the green w/red column wire was disconnected to the coin door interface board causing the optos to not be connected down the line. Make sure things like the coin door switch are connected, or at least put the two green w/red column wires that go to the switch together. For me the optos themselves were fine.

Bingo! For future reference, I tracked this issue down this past weekend. The green/red wire from the card dispenser was disconnected at the coin door high powered interlock switch. It does not appear intentional as it was just hanging with no covering. Once re-attached, both the "card bin empty" switch and opto for counting the cards started registering again. I played a game and it now dispenses the proper quantity and engages the knocker for each card dispensed. Thank you for your aid!

#510 5 years ago

Bingo! For future reference, I tracked this issue down this past weekend. The green/red wire from the card dispenser was disconnected at the coin door high powered interlock switch. It does not appear intentional as it was just hanging with no covering. Once re-attached, bot the "card bin empty" switch and opto for counting the cards started registering again. I played a game and it now dispenses the proper quantity and engages the knocker for each card dispensed. Thank you for your aid!

Awesome! Glad I could help!

#511 5 years ago

Does anyone make pingraffix style side art for inside the cabinet?

#512 5 years ago
Quoted from Ranhorton:

My two boys love slugfest. As do all the neighbor kids. Simple yet so darn fun playing against friends. Definitely get some old Donruss cards on eBay. I was able to get an entire unopened box of 1990 unglossy cards for $2.50. The shipping actually cost more than the cards.

Mine doesn't have the card dispenser

#513 5 years ago
Quoted from ltd73:

Bummer! If you ever get an opportunity to grab one it’s a fun gimmic to incorporate. When I bought my Slugfest the previous owner had made his own “cards” that he put in the machine.
Each card was a different “drinking game” callout like “take 1 shot” or “drink for 5-seconds.”
Something tells me he had a lot of parties.

#514 5 years ago
Quoted from ltd73:

Mine doesn't either. A few people with dispensers have turned them off because the machine spits out a bunch during a game of several innings.

Robert

#515 5 years ago

I was bummed that it didn't have the card dispenser but I'm over it, having cards all over would have been a pain. When I explained to the seller I was disappointed at inspection he said I should have asked. I pointed to the topper and said I didn't think I had too. He lowered the price a little and all was well...

20181208_074414 (resized).jpg20181208_074414 (resized).jpg
#516 5 years ago
Quoted from ltd73:

I pointed to the topper and said I didn't think I had too.

I made a decal for that topper, since I don't have a dispenser the stock one seemed a bit odd.

Robert

Topper Pic 1 (resized).jpgTopper Pic 1 (resized).jpg

#517 5 years ago
Quoted from ltd73:

I was bummed that it didn't have the card dispenser but I'm over it, having cards all over would have been a pain. When I explained to the seller I was disappointed at inspection he said I should have asked. I pointed to the topper and said I didn't think I had too. He lowered the price a little and all was well...
[quoted image]

I ended up finding one of these toppers on eBay. It was NOS and I ended up winning a pretty heated auction for it. I am glad to see that Rick at Planetary is now reproducing them.

#518 5 years ago

Just finishing up the Slugfest I bought last Friday. Could someone tell me where in the settings can you play a full game without pusing the start button after every inning? Thanks!

DSCF0550 (resized).JPGDSCF0550 (resized).JPGDSCF0549 (resized).JPGDSCF0549 (resized).JPGDSCF0547 (resized).JPGDSCF0547 (resized).JPGDSCF0548 (resized).JPGDSCF0548 (resized).JPGDSCF0546 (resized).JPGDSCF0546 (resized).JPGDSCF0542 (resized).JPGDSCF0542 (resized).JPGDSCF0544 (resized).JPGDSCF0544 (resized).JPG
#519 5 years ago
Quoted from JanS:

Just finishing up the Slugfest I bought last Friday. Could someone tell me where in the settings can you play a full game without pusing the start button after every inning? Thanks!

Go in into Feature settings (A2), go down to setting number 19 (max innings) and change that to whatever you want. Then while still in Feature settings go down to setting number 25 and make sure that is not set to "extra innings", if you want the game end at X innings.

Robert

#520 5 years ago

Set to 12 innings and none on setting 25. Still have to push start button after every inning?

#521 5 years ago

Ok I figured it out. You have to keep pushing the start button to the number of innings you want to play. Thanks!

#522 5 years ago
Quoted from JanS:

Ok I figured it out. You have to keep pushing the start button to the number of innings you want to play.

No, that's not how it should work.

When you start a game, either 1 or 2 player, the number of innings the game is will show on the DMD (up to six). If you have it set for more than 6, those innings will show when you get to them, there is only room for so many on the DMD at one time.

So you have some setting screwed up. I'd go into settings and do a factory reset, then go in into Feature settings (A2), go down to setting number 19 (max innings) and change that to whatever you want.

That should correct the operation of your game.

Robert

#523 5 years ago

Tried it. No difference.

#524 5 years ago

Ive always just pushed my start button at the beginning of the game for the number of innings I want to play. Seems like this would correspond with the number of coins dropped if it was not set to free play.

#525 5 years ago

Same here. Maybe Robert's SF is a 2 or 3?

#526 5 years ago
Quoted from Sinistarrett:

Ive always just pushed my start button at the beginning of the game for the number of innings I want to play. Seems like this would correspond with the number of coins dropped if it was not set to free play.

Same here

#527 5 years ago

On another topic the spring for my bat isn't original from the looks of it but it works. I bought one from Marco that is huge and with it installed I barely get over the ramp. The ball just rolls up it and falls down the back side. Should't the spring be just like a return spring on a flipper assembly without any tension holing the power back? I put the old thinner, weaker spring back on.

#528 5 years ago
Quoted from JanS:

I bought one from Marco that is huge and with it installed I barely get over the ramp

Did you buy P/N 10-427 or P/N 10-431? 10-431 is the correct part. Maybe they screwed up and sent you the incorrect part.

Robert

#529 5 years ago

They sent 10-427. What is it for?

#530 5 years ago

Here are the settings I have:

Settings (resized).jpgSettings (resized).jpg

I push the start button 1 time and the game plays 9 innings.

Robert

#531 5 years ago

Also this is how it works with coin drop, I’ve played a few on location over the years.

#532 5 years ago

Put in those adjustments and it gave me 6 innings not 9?

#533 5 years ago
Quoted from JanS:

They sent 10-427. What is it for?

10-427 is used in the Card Dispenser.

Robert

#534 5 years ago
Quoted from MrSanRamon:

[quoted image]
Robert

Ok I have it now. You put a 6 in a3.22 and it should be a 9 for 9 innings. Got it now. Thanks!

#535 5 years ago

Same for me, too.

#536 5 years ago
Quoted from MrSanRamon:

Robert

Thanks for posting those.

#537 5 years ago
Quoted from JanS:

You put a 6 in a3.22 and it should be a 9 for 9 innings

Yep...

#538 5 years ago

I replaced a lot of components on my bat assembly and it works good for about 3 innings then it seems to lose power. Ball only goes high enough off of ramp to hit bleachers not quite to the upper deck. Any ideas why this would be? For the 1st three innings it will clear the upper deck off of ramp for home runs. Also every once in awhile it doesnt throw a ball out. Just acts like it does with sounds and everything, but no ball comes out.

#539 5 years ago

I oiled all of the linkages and bushings on the bat assembly and it works much better. Do you have the proper return spring on it? Don't oil the coil plunger!

#540 5 years ago
Quoted from dugtmns:

I replaced a lot of components on my bat assembly and it works good for about 3 innings then it seems to lose power. Ball only goes high enough off of ramp to hit bleachers not quite to the upper deck. Any ideas why this would be? For the 1st three innings it will clear the upper deck off of ramp for home runs. Also every once in awhile it doesnt throw a ball out. Just acts like it does with sounds and everything, but no ball comes out.

Have you replaced the sleeves and coil stop in the bat coil?

If you have problems with both the batting and pitching, perhaps you have a power issue. Take a look at the connectors on the Power Driver Board (J126 & J130) and make sure none of them are burnt.

Robert

#541 5 years ago

I've replaced the coil, sleeve, stop, linkage, spring (the correct one) and plunger. I never oiled anything though. I'll check connectors later this week when I get time to work on it. I appreciate everyone's input here.

#542 5 years ago
Quoted from dugtmns:

I've replaced the coil, sleeve, stop, linkage, spring (the correct one) and plunger. I never oiled anything though. I'll check connectors later this week when I get time to work on it. I appreciate everyone's input here.

I would test your voltage on the power driver board. Inconsistent voltage is a potential sign of bad capacitors. Replace all the caps on the power driver board. The originals are well beyond the 20 year expected lifespan.

#543 5 years ago

When my ramp goes up it makes a sort of groaning sound. Is that normal?

#544 5 years ago
Quoted from JanS:

When my ramp goes up it makes a sort of groaning sound. Is that normal?

No, that isn't normal. Only sound should be the motor turning a some linkage noise. Grinding shouldn't be happening.

You should probably inspect the assembly. First I would raise the playfield and operate the ramp in test mode. You may be able to see what's happening.

Robert

#545 5 years ago

Gears are pretty well worn. That's what's grinding. I ordered a spare to have when this one goes. Figured I'd buy some spares while they are still out there to get.

#546 5 years ago

Set up my newly acquired game today, the ball shot out once when I hit one of the pitch buttons, then the ball wouldn’t shoot out any longer, I have 5 balls installed I believe.

I’ll lift the hood tomorrow, any things I should look at first?

#547 5 years ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

Set up my newly acquired game today, the ball shot out once when I hit one of the pitch buttons, then the ball wouldn’t shoot out any longer, I have 5 balls installed I believe.
I’ll lift the hood tomorrow, any things I should look at first?

The game uses 6 balls. I would start there.

#548 5 years ago

Looking at picking up a slugfest. I see there are a couple different models. Is there a pro or con of one over another?

#549 5 years ago
Quoted from gibsonrd:

The game uses 6 balls. I would start there.

Mine had 5 balls in it and worked fine.
I just changed them all last week and unless one was hiding somewhere it just had 5.
I'd almost suspect it would work with 2 maybe even one since only one ball is used at a time.

#550 5 years ago
Quoted from nitrojcrawf:

Looking at picking up a slugfest. I see there are a couple different models. Is there a pro or con of one over another?

Slugfest comes from a day when it was what it was, there are no models. I'd guess the only option is the card dispenser.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.
Sound/Speakers
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Eproms
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
2,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Wantagh, NY
$ 22.50
Magazines/books
Pinball Magazine
Magazines/books
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Eproms
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
There are 1,539 posts in this topic. You are on page 11 of 31.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/slugfest-club-back-back-back-back%e2%80%a6-gone/page/11?hl=papakilo and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.