798E11EC-241D-4BC7-8013-F64C3A28736D (resized).jpeg
20230904_102325 (resized).jpg
20230904_102317 (resized).jpg
20230904_104024 (resized).jpg
340094960_150912154309221_1307969109799909374_n (resized).jpg
00015 (resized).jpg
20230219_144799 (resized).jpg
PXL_20230219_215550293 (resized).jpg
There are 1,540 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 31.
#101 5 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

Details? Looks great.

I posted how I made stadium lighting for many of my pins here. Pretty easy and cheap to do if you just want a well lit playfield. My kits don't flash or turn off and on with the GI.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/poor-mans-stadium-lighting?tq=&tu=pomc

#102 5 years ago

Spent about 2 hours today cleaning inserts and installing colored LED's in the game.

The game is pretty dirty, as I don't think it was cleaned ever...but it's a lot less dirty than it would be if it had been routed.

Everything is working and good, so I'm going to go back to my retheme project. After I see what, if anything, I'm going to get for my shipping damage I'll start the actual refurb process.

My retheme project: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-night-rider-ss-re-theme

Robert

#103 5 years ago

Anyone replace the T molding on the Slugfest? If so what where did you buy the molding, and what color red did you use (not that it really matters)? Also wondering if anyone has paint matched the Slugfest blue paint?

#104 5 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

Anyone replace the T molding on the Slugfest?

Model 60001 uses red T molding; model 60021 uses blue molding.

I got my red molding from here:

ebay.com link: 30 FT 3 4 INCH Bright Red T Molding Arcades Mame Tables Cabinets FAST SHIP

Robert

#105 5 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

Also wondering if anyone has paint matched the Slugfest blue paint

The cabinet colors will vary from game to game depending the life if the machine...color changes due to age or fade. There isn't a color that will match from game to game perfectly.

There are a couple of ways to get really close. One, take the game (or a piece of the thing to match) to HD , Sherwin Williams, Lowes, etc and have them scan and give you the color code. But then you need to find the right type of paint to use to touch-up with that code.

Another way is to follow some of the advice given here:

http://pinballrehab.com/1-articles/pinball-restoration/tutorials-and-techniques/209-matching-paint-colors

But in reality it's really difficult to match the screened cabinets with paint.

I know people that can match colors really well by eye, Cliffy is one of those people. The biggest issue is how to move a 300# machine around to get a paint match, or taking it apart to be able to lug around a smaller piece of the game to get a paint match.

One way to get sort of close would be to cut a piece of decal from under a leg and use it, but knowing that it probably doesn't have any fade.

Robert

#106 5 years ago
Quoted from MrSanRamon:

The cabinet colors will vary from game to game depending the life if the machine...color changes due to age or fade. There isn't a color that will match from game to game perfectly.
There are a couple of ways to get really close. One, take the game (or a piece of the thing to match) to HD , Sherwin Williams, Lowes, etc and have them scan and give you the color code. But then you need to find the right type of paint to use to touch-up with that code.
Another way is to follow some of the advice given here:
http://pinballrehab.com/1-articles/pinball-restoration/tutorials-and-techniques/209-matching-paint-colors
But in reality it's really difficult to match the screened cabinets with paint.
I know people that can match colors really well by eye, Cliffy is one of those people. The biggest issue is how to move a 300# machine around to get a paint match, or taking it apart to be able to lug around a smaller piece of the game to get a paint match.
One way to get sort of close would be to cut a piece of decal from under a leg and use it, but knowing that it probably doesn't have any fade.
Robert

Thanks Bob....I was mainly thinking about repainting the inside side walls of the cabinet...theres a few minor scratches, but not too bad

#107 5 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

Thanks Bob....I was mainly thinking about repainting the inside side walls of the cabinet...theres a few minor scratches, but not too bad

I took the top panel off mine to get colour matched, the colour on the bottom side should be protected from the elements and get your a "true" match. The paint store had a little difficulty getting the 3/4" ply to fit in their scanner but they figured something out.

#108 5 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

If that's the case, I'd try to find a can of spray paint that matches that blue closely. Not sure how difficult that would be, but once you repaint all of the blue, no one will know that it's not exact.

The issue with a store paint match is the match is for them to mix house paint, which is not what you probably want to use.

Lowes sells Krylon, HD sells Rust-Oleum and Ace sells Krylon, Rust-Oleum & their own brand. You could try Richert Ace Hardware and see if you can find a match there.

Robert

#109 5 years ago

I sent Justin a spare Control Panel Overlay I had.

He should get it in a day or two (USPS is really slow these days), looking forward to hear what he thinks about it and how it installs.

Robert

#110 5 years ago

Was working on my Slugfest card dispenser today...everything seems to operate properly. Was wondering if anyone has a source for baseball cards that work in the machine? Apparently they can't be glossy (per a youtube video)...also I'm missing the bottom chute was hoping someone out there knows where to locate one.

#112 5 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

Was working on my Slugfest card dispenser today...everything seems to operate properly. Was wondering if anyone has a source for baseball cards that work in the machine? Apparently they can't be glossy (per a youtube video)...also I'm missing the bottom chute was hoping someone out there knows where to locate one.

I’ve seen a set of cards show up on eBay from time to time did you check there? Never mind... I just did... ebay.com link: 0 If you’re local to me I’ve got a bunch of the right vintage you’re welcome to. Don’t see your local posted.

#113 5 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

baseball cards that work in the machine? Apparently they can't be glossy (per a youtube video)...also I'm missing the bottom chute was hoping someone out there knows where to locate one.

These cards will work and come in one big unwrapped box:

http://www.dacardworld.com/sports-cards/1990-fleer-baseball-factory-set-white

#114 5 years ago

Thanks Guys....anyone know where to locate a card chute?

#115 5 years ago
Quoted from roar:

I’ve seen a set of cards show up on eBay from time to time did you check there? Never mind... I just did... ebay.com link If you’re local to me I’ve got a bunch of the right vintage you’re welcome to. Don’t see your local posted.

I appreciate the offer....I'm located in the Bay Area...probably a little far to pick up a few cards

#116 5 years ago

Pinball parts search shows only Marco stocks the chute and they are out. I made a temporary one out of heavy sign cardboard that did the job.

#117 5 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

Anyone replace the T molding on the Slugfest? If so what where did you buy the molding, and what color red did you use (not that it really matters)? Also wondering if anyone has paint matched the Slugfest blue paint?

tmolding.com
https://www.t-molding.com

#118 5 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

Any sports card for before 1989 will work. You can find them on ebay for very cheap.

#119 5 years ago

One of my first purchases. Never leaving my line up as much as freddy asks I grew up pumping every quarter my mother would give me into this game as a kid at a local arcade.

#120 5 years ago
Quoted from TwoHeartedMale:

Any sports card from before 1989 will work. You can find them on ebay for very cheap.

#121 5 years ago

Has anyone changed out the speakers on a Slugfest? Mine work, but their pretty bad....if so be great to know what you used

#122 5 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

Slugfest is just good fun.
Sometimes my pitches all have curve to them. Not always, but sometimes even throwing a change up will act like a curve. What would cause that to happen randomly?

I just read in the slugfest instruction book that there is a setting that makes every pitch a random pitch, even in 2 player mode. this setting can be found in the feature adjustments under auto pitch select. There is 3 settings, 1.Never, 2.Only 1-player, 3. Always.

I have a feeling that yours may be set on always.

#123 5 years ago

I just read in the slugfest instruction book that there is a setting that makes every pitch a random pitch, even in 2 player mode. this setting can be found in the feature adjustments under auto pitch select. There is 3 settings, 1.Never, 2.Only 1-player, 3. Always.
I have a feeling that yours may be set on always.

thanks....u might be correct....let me check that out

#124 5 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

when loading cards make sure the picture side is facing the back of the hopper! that way the o rings can grab the ruff cardboard side of the card!

#125 5 years ago
Quoted from MrSanRamon:

ebay.com link » Like

Anyone know what these cards have on them? is it even sports?

#126 5 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

thanks....u might be correct....let me check that out

The recommended setting would be the second one, 2.Only 1-player.

#127 5 years ago
Quoted from MrSanRamon:

Model 60001 uses red T molding; model 60021 uses blue molding.
I got my red molding from here:
ebay.com link » 30 Ft 3 4 Inch Bright Red T Molding Arcades Mame Tables Cabinets Fast Ship
Robert

how much T-molding is required for slugfest? would 20ft be enough?

#128 5 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

Has anyone changed out the speakers on a Slugfest? Mine work, but their pretty bad....if so be great to know what you used

I haven't used them but they are one of the only options I have found. I may install them in the future so let me know if you get them and how they work.

http://pinballpro.net/shop/williams-system-11-back-box-speaker-kit-tr-11wh/

#129 5 years ago

I bought 25' and I had 5'+ left so I'd say you'd be good with 20'. Though I do think you should order a couple of extra feet, I didn't like how I cut a length running to the leg and was glad I had extra to redo it.

#130 5 years ago
Quoted from roar:

I bought 25' and I had 5'+ left so I'd say you'd be good with 20'. Though I do think you should order a couple of extra feet, I didn't like how I cut a length running to the leg and was glad I had extra to redo it.

Thanks for the heads up

#131 5 years ago

Justin,

I bought 30 feet, 20 might work but could be close.

ebay.com link: 30 FT 3 4 INCH Bright Red T Molding 40 Arcades Mame Tables Cabinets 41 FAST SHIP

Also, sorry about how long it's taking to get the CP Overlay...it should have been there already.

Robert

#132 5 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

I bought some replacement speakers from Newark, they arrived today.

I'll probably put them in tomorrow and see if if they turn out.

Robert

#133 5 years ago
Quoted from MrSanRamon:

I bought some replacement speakers from Newark, they arrived today.
I'll probably put them in tomorrow and see if if they turn out.
Robert

Let me know....did you buy the two in the back box along with the cheap sub in the bottom of the cabinet?

#134 5 years ago

I bought 40 because theres a good chance I'll screw it up

#135 5 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

Let me know....did you buy the two in the back box along with the cheap sub in the bottom of the cabinet?

The game has a 6" cabinet speaker and a 4" speaker and the same 6" speaker in the backbox.

Standard speakers 2@ 6", 8 ohm, 20W & 1 @ 4", 8 ohm piezo, 50W.

I bought 1@ 6.5", 8 ohm 45W, 40Hz-7kHz for the cabinet and 2@ 5", 50W, 8ohm, 80Hz-15kHz for the backbox from Newark.

I haven't put in the cabinet speaker yet, but I did put in the backbox speakers. Neither of the new speakers fit the existing openings, so I had to make adapters.

The 5" to 6" adapter was easy, make it out of about 0.2" plexy.

LHS Backbox Speaker Adapter (resized).jpgLHS Backbox Speaker Adapter (resized).jpg

Speaker installed with plexy adapter:

LHS Backbox Speaker (resized).jpgLHS Backbox Speaker (resized).jpg

5" speaker with wooden adapter to fit 4" hole:

RHS Backbox Speaker (resized).jpgRHS Backbox Speaker (resized).jpg

I'm planning to make a better 4" to 5" adapter, but a 2x6 is what I had on hand that I thought would be thick enough. It was a challenge trying to make a conical cut in the 2x6 to match the 2 hole sizes. I didn't want to cut a larger hole in the speaker panel until I lived with these for a while.

It sounds better. I like that the 2 BB speakers are the same size and output. The existing 4" tweeter had almost no output.

I'll probably post a bit more after I put the cabinet speaker in.

Robert

#136 5 years ago

Pic of speaker attached to plexy adapter:

LHS Backbox Speaker Adapter Attached (resized).jpgLHS Backbox Speaker Adapter Attached (resized).jpg

#137 5 years ago

Thanks for posting Bob...I was thinking about just purchasing speakers from pinball pro

Option 1: http://pinballpro.net/shop/williams-system-11-back-box-speaker-kit-tr-11wh/

Option 2: http://pinballpro.net/shop/williams-system-11-kit/

Both are a little pricey for Slugfest....

#138 5 years ago

Cabinet speaker comparison...

Spearker side by side (resized).jpgSpearker side by side (resized).jpg

The 6.5 inch MCM speaker (p/n 36c6723) is a direct replacement (bolt pattern wise) for the 6" original speaker...and it's only $11.25!

Robert

#139 5 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

Thanks for posting Bob...I was thinking about just purchasing speakers from pinball pro
Option 1: http://pinballpro.net/shop/williams-system-11-back-box-speaker-kit-tr-11wh/

I'll have the cabinet speaker in this morning, you can come over and listen and see what you think.

Robert

#140 5 years ago
Quoted from MrSanRamon:

I'll have the cabinet speaker in this morning, you can come over and listen and see what you think.
Robert

Thanks Robert...I have a busy kid weekend, but possibly next week. I love the price on the cabinet speaker would u say its a noticeable difference? I suspect it would be as the stock speakers are really bad (at least mine are).

#141 5 years ago

Hey sluggers-
Need some help.
My magnet is working fine but i think the timing is off as to when it fires during each pitch (tested magnet by holding balls over it during test mode and it definitely threw them in different directions).
Any suggestions?
The optos work fine in the pitching mech.
Does the opto disruptor (black disk) have to be "calibrated" in some way to trigger the magnet at the correct time?
If so, does anyone have a picture of the perfect calibration?
Here's where mine is prior to throwing a pitch.

slugfest opto (resized).jpgslugfest opto (resized).jpg
#142 5 years ago

Working on the batting mechanism, new and worn part:

image (resized).pngimage (resized).png

I ordered 1 of these and 3 came in the box and in all of them, the oval cut is too small. A couple of minutes with the flat file opened it up so the bushing would fit and slide properly.

Robert

#143 5 years ago

This pic is of my Slugfest with the pitching arm just touching the ball to be served.

Robert

IMG_20180630_145454 (resized).jpgIMG_20180630_145454 (resized).jpg

#144 5 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

Well, they are using a 5 1/4 inch speaker on the 4 inch speaker size while I used a 5 inch. Their adapter looks a bit thin (in my opinion from looking at the picture on their site) to work well.

I am going to make a new adapter for the 5 inch to 4 inch side about 0.4 or 0.6 inches thick (2 or 3 sheets of plexy I have on hand).

I prefer that the backbox have balanced sound coming from both sides using 2 identical speakers, just my preference. Also there aren't very many sub base sounds on Slugfest to need a woofer in the BB.

So for me, the 2 @ 5" in the BB and 1 @ 6.5 inch in the cabinet sounds good.

The 5-inch speaker (11C1076) costs $7.65 each. I paid $46.67 for all 3 speakers, including shipping. The speakers arrived about 2 days after I ordered. I'm kind of cheap, so $154 + shipping sounds like too much to me.

Robert

#145 5 years ago
Quoted from MrSanRamon:

Well, they are using a 5 1/4 inch speaker on the 4 inch speaker size while I used a 5 inch. Their adapter looks a bit thin (in my opinion from looking at the picture on their site) to work well.
I am going to make a new adapter for the 5 inch to 4 inch side about 0.4 or 0.6 inches thick (2 or 3 sheets of plexy I have on hand).
I prefer that the backbox have balanced sound coming from both sides using 2 identical speakers, just my preference. Also there aren't very many sub base sounds on Slugfest to need a woofer in the BB.
So for me, the 2 @ 5" in the BB and 1 @ 6.5 inch in the cabinet sounds good.
The 5-inch speaker (11C1076) costs $7.65 each. I paid $46.67 for all 3 speakers, including shipping. The speakers arrived about 2 days after I ordered. I'm kind of cheap, so $154 + shipping sounds like too much to me.
Robert

I like a nice solution thats less that $50 ... that being said not sure I have the time to make the appropriate adapters....I suspect your speakers are more than adequate as theres not a lot of sound that comes from the machine ... its basically one or two word comments i.e. "play ball", "your out", "strike 1", "ball 1", etc....

#146 5 years ago
Quoted from MrSanRamon:

Working on the batting mechanism, new and worn part:

I ordered 1 of these and 3 came in the box and in all of them, the oval cut is too small. A couple of minutes with the flat file opened it up so the bushing would fit and slide properly.
Robert

I had the same issue with mine. I changed the same part along with a new coil, and the batting is much better...my only issue with pitching is the fast ball veers to the right about 25% of the time....all the other pitches seem to work fine

#147 5 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

I like a nice solution thats less that $50 ... that being said not sure I have the time to make the appropriate adapters

I can make the adapters for you, if you want.

Robert

#148 5 years ago
Quoted from MrSanRamon:

This pic is of my Slugfest with the pitching arm just touching the ball to be served.

Yours is totally different than mine. Does your game throw good curveballs and screwballs? If so I am totally adjusting my opto distruptor to match yours.
Thanks for the pic!

#149 5 years ago
Quoted from Ranhorton:

Yours is totally different than mine. Does your game throw good curveballs and screwballs? If so I am totally adjusting my opto distruptor to match yours.
Thanks for the pic!

My pitch mech is setup like Roberts....mine throws great curve balls and screw balls (most of the time)....my only issue is getting consistent fast balls.

#150 5 years ago
Quoted from Ranhorton:

Does your game throw good curveballs and screwballs?

Yes.

Robert

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
2,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Wantagh, NY
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 40.00
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 22.50
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

There are 1,540 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 31.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/slugfest-club-back-back-back-back%E2%80%A6-gone/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.