• Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

002 (resized).JPG
001 (resized).JPG
#1 7 years ago

I purchased a project Slugfest machine, & was curious to know what is the best procedure to straighten a bottom cabinet that is sagging. There was some obvious water damage in the center area where the cabinet is drooping, as the left & right areas are in line with the inner side cabinet. What would be the best way to reinforce the cabinet to the proper position until the glue completely cures? Also, what would be the best glue to use to permanently align the bottom cabinet into position? I have Gorilla Super Glue ~ would anyone suggest that I use this brand?

#2 7 years ago

001 (resized).JPG001 (resized).JPG

002 (resized).JPG002 (resized).JPG

#3 7 years ago

The correct way to do this would be to gut the cabinet (remove head, boards, etc.) and replace the bottom using a new piece of plywood. You will need to make sure that the sides are in good enough shape as well.

As for glue, carpenter's glue with the proper clamps, etc.

Not sure if I would attempt this repair with everything assembled.

#4 7 years ago

Each side of the cabinet has a groove near the bottom. The bottom should have a tongue on each side that fits into that grove. It can't sag unless grove or tongue are at least partially missing.

If the tongue is just broken off the bottom you can replace the bottom and be ok. Slide the new bottom into place, glue, clamp, and dry.

If the sides are rotted and the grove broken away there is nothing to hold the bottom in place from below. If that's the case you might try L brackets on the outside of bottom and inside of the sides. Glue into position and clamp until dry.

#5 7 years ago

Hey Rush.
That bottom looks like particle board. if it is warped, you will NOT have any fun tryin to straighten it.
The cabinet prob is too.
Like Gearhead said, gut it, and replace that bottom board with new plywood.
Then, you may want to use a couple L brackets on the inside to help hold in place.
Elmers wood glue, a few headless nails, and some clamps shud do the trick.
If, however, I am completely full of it, then use Pinplayer's technique.
good luck.

#6 7 years ago

Thanks fellows for the update, I will keep you posted on the outcome in approximately a week. When I purchased Slugfest I noticed the drooping cabinet & thought ~ Gee, just reinforce > glue > glue cures > & everything's fine??? But, there's slightly more to this small ~ but could turn into a bigger issue than I thought. Looks like I have some work to do. But that's part of what makes this awesome hobby so great! Till next time...

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 40.00
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

2,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Wantagh, NY
$ 22.50
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/slugfest-bottom-cabinet-sagging and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.