(Topic ID: 160028)

Slow Getaway Supercharger? Check for this...

By schudel5

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Kobaja
  • Topic is favorited by 8 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

acc_vs_pdb_(resized).jpg
2016-05-13_18.22.37_(resized).jpg

#1 7 years ago

Worked on a supercharger accelerator board for a guy that complained his supercharger was slow. Not sure if these boards were populated by hand or by machine, but if by machine, look at D10 on this board. This board was not repaired or worked on. It was a factory original.

2016-05-13_18.22.37_(resized).jpg2016-05-13_18.22.37_(resized).jpg

#2 7 years ago

The circuit is very much similar to the Hi-Current Solenoid Drivers on the PDB so I think it works with a resistor (~100 ohm) or with a diode.

acc_vs_pdb_(resized).jpgacc_vs_pdb_(resized).jpg

#3 7 years ago

The other 2 magnets had diodes in their circuits but this one did not. The SC time test value was 169 with the resistor in the circuit and when changed to a diode was at 95. I compared it to my accelerator board it had diodes in all 3 magnet circuits.

The resistor measured out at 220ohms. It was the same resistor that's between the TIP102 and TIP36C that was placed in the D10 location.

#4 7 years ago

I'm surprised the ball would even make it around the loop @ 169! When mine had issues it bout seemed to struggle in the 140s.

#5 7 years ago

Well found ! The SC with almost twice the speed is much more fun

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#6 7 years ago
Quoted from tilted81:

I'm surprised the ball would even make it around the loop @ 169! When mine had issues it bout seemed to struggle in the 140s.

It was definitely slow. Probably bounced around 155-169 being the highest reading...maybe hit 140 once. It did make it around though.

2 weeks later
#7 7 years ago

I've never been more disappointed to discover a PCB in a pin was properly assembled... Congrats to all that this works for, though - great catch schudel5!

3 years later
#8 4 years ago

I have a sluggish supercharger. I have replaced the super driver accelerator board, and it’s still sluggish. It tests out at about 138, bit the driver board says it’s rated for 85. I have testing meters, just unsure how to test the magnets and what I would be looking for. So if I replace the magnets as well, will that bring it up to speed?

#9 4 years ago
Quoted from JeffreyCam:

I have a sluggish supercharger. I have replaced the super driver accelerator board, and it’s still sluggish. It tests out at about 138, bit the driver board says it’s rated for 85. I have testing meters, just unsure how to test the magnets and what I would be looking for. So if I replace the magnets as well, will that bring it up to speed?

Same issue here. Same board replacement same rating, same result.
The speed also depends on how smooth the ride around the SC is for the ball. The magnets either work or they don't.

#10 4 years ago

I know I’ve seen on mine and another HS2 I worked on that longer screws sometimes are put on the plastics over the supercharger and the ball can hit them. This slows it down too. Check that and make sure its clean and waxed.

You could unplug all the magnets and plug in one and test one at a time with a ball.

Can you make a short video of a single ball in supercharger test mode? That should help share the issue.

1 month later
#11 4 years ago

I'll share my insight. My supercharger was slow-ish and somehow seemed weak.
After receiving an electric shock from my supercharger ramp when installing a flasher, I measured and found the ramp itself to sit on +72 V.

Reason for this was the diverter coil, which had made contact to the ramp metal.
Fixing this issue did a lot to the game in terms of supercharger speed and general snappiness of the coils.

If you have a slow SC and dont know why, you might want to measure he voltage on the ramp. if it is at +72V, fix that and your SC times should improve.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 12.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus
Plastics

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/slow-getaway-supercharger-check-for-this and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.