(Topic ID: 31990)

Slow flipper reset

By Darkslide632

11 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 11 years ago

So I've been playing my new Stargate (first pin ever) this morning, and after playing for a while I notice the left flipper starts returning to the down position in slow motion. It fires fine, fires fast, but return to down position slow. Any idea what might cause it, and/or how to fix it? It seems to have stopped for the time being, but I'm waiting for it to start happening again... and as I am a complete newbie, I thought I'd ask.

I was holding a lot of balls on the left flipper for quite some time during multi-ball, was it an overheating issue, maybe?

Thanks!

#2 11 years ago

My first guess would be that there isn't enough of a gap between the flipper and the bushing. As you play, the friction creates heat which causes the bushing to slightly expand resulting in a slow flipper return.

#3 11 years ago

could also be that your return spring fell off or is stretched out.

-c

#4 11 years ago

Inspect it and make sure it looks like the other flipper mechanism to see if something is missing or broken. If that doesn't work, take it apart and clean it.

#5 11 years ago

I don't SEE any difference between the two flippers. I checked them out, and because it righted itself I don't think it's a spring, though obviously I could be wrong. There DOES seem to be a difference in the amount of play between the two flippers though, when I pull up on each of them. How do I adjust that?

#6 11 years ago
Quoted from Darkslide632:

There DOES seem to be a difference in the amount of play between the two flippers though, when I pull up on each of them. How do I adjust that?

You have to loosen them, properly adjust the gap, and then tighten them back up. The gap should be equal to about the thickness of a credit card. Carefully read through this thread:

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-to-upgradingrebuilding-flippers

You will find it very enlightening.

#7 11 years ago

Thanks!

#8 11 years ago

Push the flipper foreward by hand and let it go with the machine OFF. They should both drop right back. If they do you are looking at something electrical. If one drops back slow with no power on the pin you have a mechanical issue. The shaft of the flipper could be dragging or dirty. This will make the flipper slow returning. It could also be a worn bushing in the pf.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 1,099.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Leesburg, VA
3,975 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
East Rutherford, NJ
$ 24.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 24.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 15.45
Gameroom - Decorations
KAHR.US Circuits

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/slow-flipper-reset and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.