Sloppy GTB Drop Targets -- what to do

By goldenboy232

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 5 years ago

I recently disassembled, cleaned, and re-assembled the drop target banks on a Quick Draw. I'm now having a hell of a time getting them to drop with a good "snap" motion like they should. Sometimes when the ball hits them they only drop part of the way and cause the motor to just keep turning and the chime to continually go off as it keeps scoring until I push it down. It's doing this on a couple of targets on each bank.

I am wondering if I stretched out the springs too much when I was taking the old targets out to clean them? Would new springs solve the issue and, if so, should I get both the short and long springs? Which one is responsible for pulling it downward (presumably the longer one)?

I have tried adjusting the switches so they don't put as much tension on the metal arm under each target when it falls and that has helped some. Would appreciate guidance.

Thanks!

Mark

#2 5 years ago

I doubt it's the springs...that's happened to me many times after cleaning up a DT bank. Did you lube the part of the switch blades that the metal actuator arm slides along?

That and the tension, which you've already addressed, are what I remember causing this more than anything...but I could be forgetting something. It's been a while since I did any 70s games...

Sean

#3 5 years ago

When you installed the springs, did you distinguish between the two kinds? The stronger spring is for pulling the target down when it is struck by the ball. The weaker spring is for pulling the target forward so it sits squarely atop the bank when it resets.

#4 5 years ago
Quoted from leckmeck:

When you installed the springs, did you distinguish between the two kinds? The stronger spring is for pulling the target down when it is struck by the ball. The weaker spring is for pulling the target forward so it is flush atop the bank when it resets.

Yes, one is significantly longer than the other, so I only removed the one spring (the short ones) needed to get the targets out of the unit. But, because I was moving the bottom plate around so much at times, I wonder if I stretched out the long springs too much. Any suggestions? I could just buy new springs...

#5 5 years ago

Did you polish and lube the long blade against which the metal actuator wipes? A Dremel with a wire wheel will polish them smooth, then a dab of Super Lube will make things slide nicely.

#6 5 years ago

New triggers and targets? The triggers and target shaft may be oxidized. Did you clean and polish that as well? A-517 spring for bottom, A-12178 for top. (Page 15 Gottlieb 1978 Manual)

#7 5 years ago

Springs stretched out on "all" the targets? Maybe or maybe not, but does not sound likely that all have un-elastically stretched at once.

Have you checked to make sure the target bank is positioned such that the shafts are not rubbing against the slot in the playfield? Usually, I find there is a little play when reattaching the target bank to the underside of the playfield, such that one can adjust positioning of the bank fore-aft by 1 or 2 mm.

In my games, I usually find that the cause of a target not dropping all the way is often (maybe 70%) due to the pressure of one of the switches bearing against the slider too strongly.

#8 5 years ago

did you center the mechanism properly when screwing it to the playfield?

#9 5 years ago

Great advice — I’ll check all of the above and report back.

#10 5 years ago

Another thing to check for is to make sure the reset bar is under proper tension to go back to it's proper position after a target reset. I have had problems with reset bars slowly moving back or not moving back at all due to lack of tension / broken spring. If the reset bar doesn't get completely out of the way after the reset, the targets can get blocked from going down properly.

#11 5 years ago

I find that by adjusting the contacts on the drop to where they barely make contact helps. It seems the switches do get stiff with age.

#12 5 years ago

99/100 the switch is adjusted too tight to the arm. Back it out, even to the point of not touching. Also, sometimes I'll put some of the teflon lube used on steppers at that interface. i.e. between the arm and the switch stack.

#13 5 years ago

Thanks guys I’ll report back.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.00
Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sloppy-gtb-drop-targets-what-to-do?hl=runbikeskilee and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.