(Topic ID: 225710)

Slingshot solenoid/coil issue

By handymancanfixit

5 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 5 years ago

I'm looking for some assistance troubleshooting the left slingshot coil on my Bally Lost World. When the game is powered on, the slingshot works fine. After a few minutes of play, maybe 10-15 minutes, the slingshot gets progressively weaker until it doesn't work at all. The switches on both sides of the kicker work, sound and score, but the kicker doesn't kick. I assumed that the coil was bad and replaced it with a new correct coil/diode assembly, but the problem persists. The kicker moves freely and is not stuck when the coil quits firing. The next time the game is turned on, the cycle repeats.

Correct me if I am wrong, but don't the switches send a signal to the MPU, which sends a signal to the Solenoid Driver Board, which fires the coil?

Any recommendations as to what to check next?

#2 5 years ago
Quoted from handymancanfixit:

I'm looking for some assistance troubleshooting the left slingshot coil on my Bally Lost World. When the game is powered on, the slingshot works fine. After a few minutes of play, maybe 10-15 minutes, the slingshot gets progressively weaker until it doesn't work at all. The switches on both sides of the kicker work, sound and score, but the kicker doesn't kick. I assumed that the coil was bad and replaced it with a new correct coil/diode assembly, but the problem persists. The kicker moves freely and is not stuck when the coil quits firing. The next time the game is turned on, the cycle repeats.
Correct me if I am wrong, but don't the switches send a signal to the MPU, which sends a signal to the Solenoid Driver Board, which fires the coil?
Any recommendations as to what to check next?

I would change the driver transistor for that coil, it could be heating up and breaking down.

#3 5 years ago

I have the exact same problem on my lost world

1 week later
#4 5 years ago

Update: I replaced the driver transistor Q10, diode CR10 , capacitor C20 and resistor R28, and that seemed to resolve the issue. Before I replace the four components I put the game in test mode with the solenoids cycling and after 10 minutes or so the left sling stopped. So I replaced the four components and put the board back in and put it in test mode again with the solenoids firing, and I walked away for 30 minutes or so. When I came back all of the solenoids were still firing. I played a few games and everything was still ok.

I checked the transistor before I replaced it and the multimeter was showing 382 in diode mode for the bottom leg of the transistior, I assume that meant 0.382V. Pinwiki states that the outer transistor legs should read 0.4-0.6V when they are good.

Some of the other transistors that are used by the solenoids were also reading in the 0.380 range, so I assume that they are weak or wearing out. I will eventually replace all 19 sets when I do a full restore, but for now I just wanted everything working. I know all 19 are not used, but for the sake of my OCD I will replace them all at the same time.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 69.00
Electronics
Pinball Haus
Electronics
Electronics
Retro Electro Designs
Electronics
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
Electronics
$ 10.00
Lighting
Yoppsicle
Lighting
$ 8.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
Electronics
£ 185.00
Displays
Retro Electro Designs
Displays

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/slingshot-solenoid-coil-issue and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.